Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

neogeo0823 posted:

so the adventurer got to sit there listening to two spongemen shout obscenities and vitriol at each other endlessly, forever.

lovely apartment mod looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up,_Little_Man!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love this to death, but every year it gets harder and harder to recommend to people that haven't already heard it, and I can't even quote a lot of my favorite lines on these forums. Those horrible, dying little men were occasionally touched by the hand of god when it came to spinning verbal cruelty.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It sounds pretty sad tbh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, kind of hosed up to eavesdrop on two sick people be each other's personal hell and call it comedy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Which is why I don't really ever recommend it to people anymore, and if I were hearing it for the first time now, I probably wouldn't get very far into it. Different time, etc.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Shady Amish Terror posted:

All fish benefitted from the skills=stats swimming oversight at one time, but carp remained a nuisance even outside of that because of their teeth, yes. A similar fun one was the fact that undead sponges or corals, I forget which, were terrifying monstrosities for a time because they lacked a brain or any other vital parts and thus could not be killed; this was compounded by the fact that even a limbless, brainless, otherwise completely immobile organism gained access to a rudimentary charge/tackle attack if hostile, and undead are generally always hostile. Since they were MASSIVE by dwarf standards, they would occasionally lurch into anyone foolish enough to attack, obliterating them. I believe that they have since lost access to the charge attack, and that undead can now be killed by sufficient damage regardless of whether or not they have any vital parts to attack.

Was regular sponges even, not just undead ones, and it was an artifact of them technically not having anatomy to damage (as I understand it there is “general” health in DF units but most fatal damage comes from wrecking a vital part like the head or similar). I remember one meme going around of a quote from the game of “Giant sponge becomes enraged” captioned “Without a nervous system, the only thing they feel... is ANGER!”. Even more hilarious/disturbing, sponges were classified as possible mounts in the game code, though I don’t think anybody actually saw any invaders on top of sponges (possibly because they couldn’t actually get anywhere that way...). Think in addition to what you mentioned the game is also coded to allow blunt damage to affect sponges more.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love this to death, but every year it gets harder and harder to recommend to people that haven't already heard it, and I can't even quote a lot of my favorite lines on these forums. Those horrible, dying little men were occasionally touched by the hand of god when it came to spinning verbal cruelty.

Been listening to Shut Up Little Man since it got a write up in Spin back in 1992. It's a fuckin' institution. Borderline obsessed with that poo poo throughout the 90s, and made a point of taking some pics with a friend outside 237 Steiner a few years back when visiting San Fran. Even stopped by O'Looney's and bought some vodka. Pretty sure I have a 30 year friendship that consists of 90% shared interest in music combined with quoting Shut Up Little Man and Mr. Show sketches. Yes, I am a 48 year old man child.

And yeah - quoting half the poo poo Ray says would get you a probation in a hurry. It's definitely a situation where you better know your audience before bringing it up.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, kind of hosed up to eavesdrop on two sick people be each other's personal hell and call it comedy.

Think it falls under the umbrella of if you're yelling at the top of your lungs non-stop you shouldn't really expect any semblance of privacy. They knew they were being heard, and even knew they were being recorded. They didn't give a poo poo. Finding it funny? Well - you might have a point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tony Phillips posted:

Think it falls under the umbrella of if you're yelling at the top of your lungs non-stop you shouldn't really expect any semblance of privacy. They knew they were being heard, and even knew they were being recorded. They didn't give a poo poo.
Yeah, fair enough, if they know and don't care, then it really isn't eavesdropping by any real measure anymore.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, fair enough, if they know and don't care, then it really isn't eavesdropping by any real measure anymore.

According to one of the guys that made the recording, they once tried to get back at the neighbors by taking stereo speakers, placing them in front of the arguing couple's window and cranking recordings of them fighting right back at them. The neighbor's then just started arguing about who sounded like a bigger rear end in a top hat in the recordings. It's really some of the most surreal poo poo you can imagine.

There's one bit in one of the recordings where one guy says something along the lines of "The neighbor's are recording us again." Which gets a "Good. Hey neighbor! I want you to know that Peter Haskett is a piece of poo poo!" in return.

Will stop the derail now since this is really not the thread for it, but do recommend that documentary if anyone is interested in a some weird rear end poo poo. Especially if you're old enough to remember when you had to trade cassette tapes to get to hear random weird crap. It's a crazy throwback to pre-internet days.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MadDogMike posted:

Was regular sponges even, not just undead ones, and it was an artifact of them technically not having anatomy to damage (as I understand it there is “general” health in DF units but most fatal damage comes from wrecking a vital part like the head or similar). I remember one meme going around of a quote from the game of “Giant sponge becomes enraged” captioned “Without a nervous system, the only thing they feel... is ANGER!”. Even more hilarious/disturbing, sponges were classified as possible mounts in the game code, though I don’t think anybody actually saw any invaders on top of sponges (possibly because they couldn’t actually get anywhere that way...). Think in addition to what you mentioned the game is also coded to allow blunt damage to affect sponges more.

The ability to "pulp" body parts was added specifically for this sort of situation, where a creature without any vital organs to remove was, in fact, immortal barring drowning or something. Which undead can't do. Sponges and undead raised from parts where you couldn't chop them up further were big culprits.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

The ability to "pulp" body parts was added specifically for this sort of situation, where a creature without any vital organs to remove was, in fact, immortal barring drowning or something. Which undead can't do. Sponges and undead raised from parts where you couldn't chop them up further were big culprits.

Dwarf Fortress is really interesting because of stuff like this because it has such a detailed anatomy system but those edge cases make you realize that the whole thing is still an abstraction and that it's really difficult to write some sort of generalized "health" system that will work for plain mammals and also work for weird stuff like sponges, or fantasy monsters like undead.

I mean I guess you could argue "if the system doesn't work well for sponges just don't put sponges in your game" but that's not really the way that Toady works.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Plastik posted:

I agree, but people have been punished for posting goon-only secrets outside the private subforums is all.

Someone dmca'd the original link. Here's a repost.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there really such a thing as "goon-only secrets" for a publicly available game?

If a non-goon had done the experimentation themselves and written that exact same text file as an original work on a different forum, could it be posted here?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Only to the gooniest of goons and for the gooniest of secrets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

it was carp, and the other issue was that carp had the same generic 'bite' attack that you might see on, say, a bear, or a dog. so a dwarf would venture down to the river and a tiny swimming rottweiler would leap out and try to chew its feet off, at which point the dwarf would try to dodge and have a 50/50 shot of just throwing itself into the river by accident

Back in that version every creature type had a fixed size, roughly equivalent to length/height in feet, and all fully grown creatures of that species had that exact size. Toady looked up on Wikipedia that Carl can grow to be up to 5 feet and plugged in 5 as the size for carp... which happens to be the size of a dwarf. So it wasn't a tiny swimming rotweiller, it was a 5 footer as big as the dwarf.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

Toady looked up on Wikipedia that Carl can grow to be up to 5 feet
Poor Carl, never grew up to be big and strong like he wanted.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

neogeo0823 posted:

...However, spongemen have no way to attack and no way to move, so the adventurer got to sit there listening to two spongemen shout obscenities and vitriol at each other endlessly, forever.

Accidental perfect simulation of forums arguments.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah it's hosed up. My favorite line is the oddly touching "I got a decent dinner ready! Nothing happened with the dinner! Because you crucified it."

Anyway, being a little man I'll shut up

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's also the foam grenade that would never stop burning and expanded forever, I think(?)

Slightly late, but I believe this is the incident you're referencing:

quote:

IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE!

There are a variety of highly combustible chemical compounds in SS13, such as napalm. There is also a recipe called Life, which can create weird gribbly meat creatures or a (usually insane and homicidal) randomized NPC human. The Life recipe is triggered by heat once it's mixed together. I'm sure you can kind of see where this is going, but trust me, it's crazier than you think.

One of the Chemists managed to brew up some kind of nightmare potion that created a cloud of flaming Life. This had the effect of spawning an endless singularity of screaming, flaming creatures and people that exploded into an eternal Valhalla of fiery combat. The fucker had somehow made the reaction self-sustaining, so his workplace quickly became an ever-deepening mountain of burning bodies, fire, and screams. As the lag got worse and worse, an admin teleported in to see what the gently caress was going on, and came face-to-face with a vision of Hell. "MY BEAUTIFUL CREATIONS" lamented the immolated chemist, as his murderous children's fiery fists rained down upon him.

It lagged the round absolutely to gently caress and back and basically ruined it for everyone else, but nobody punished him for it. In fact, the admins immediately posted the story to the SS13 thread for everyone to marvel at. Playing a Chemist and creating any kind of laggy hellfoam or hellsmoke is basically griefing in and of itself, but every once in a while someone does something so incredible with it that even the people stuck staring at a laggy, useless Byond client can't help but be impressed. Like whenever someone makes a mixture so hot that it melts space. That happens occasionally.

(from the old griefing thread)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the culture of secrecy around SS13 basically boils down to there's a lot of poo poo that will break the game (not in a "this is unbalanced" kind of way but in a "this will literally crash the server" kind of way), like the stuff posted above, and they don't want people doing drive-bys. It kind of goes pretty far into the extreme where like, no amount of genuine experimentation is actually going to teach you those formulas, you're either part of the cool kids club that knows them or you aren't.

It'd be nice if the game existed on a more stable platform so that was less of a concern but every attempt to remake the game has stalled because like, where do you even start with a beast like SS13? It's the result of almost 15 years of work by dozens of people doing extremely deep dives into specific systems and the fact that it works at all is a miracle.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tony Phillips posted:

According to one of the guys that made the recording, they once tried to get back at the neighbors by taking stereo speakers, placing them in front of the arguing couple's window and cranking recordings of them fighting right back at them. The neighbor's then just started arguing about who sounded like a bigger rear end in a top hat in the recordings. It's really some of the most surreal poo poo you can imagine.

There's one bit in one of the recordings where one guy says something along the lines of "The neighbor's are recording us again." Which gets a "Good. Hey neighbor! I want you to know that Peter Haskett is a piece of poo poo!" in return.

Will stop the derail now since this is really not the thread for it, but do recommend that documentary if anyone is interested in a some weird rear end poo poo. Especially if you're old enough to remember when you had to trade cassette tapes to get to hear random weird crap. It's a crazy throwback to pre-internet days.

Ok I'm going to look into this now

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the culture of secrecy around SS13 basically boils down to there's a lot of poo poo that will break the game (not in a "this is unbalanced" kind of way but in a "this will literally crash the server" kind of way), like the stuff posted above, and they don't want people doing drive-bys. It kind of goes pretty far into the extreme where like, no amount of genuine experimentation is actually going to teach you those formulas, you're either part of the cool kids club that knows them or you aren't.

It'd be nice if the game existed on a more stable platform so that was less of a concern but every attempt to remake the game has stalled because like, where do you even start with a beast like SS13? It's the result of almost 15 years of work by dozens of people doing extremely deep dives into specific systems and the fact that it works at all is a miracle.

Plus, basically every station has it's own fork of the project. Goonstation is a different beast then /tg/station. Not just down to the design, but code, occupations, certain rules and how stuff interacts. And some of the stuff is, naturally, mutualy exclusive. So you can't really remake "SS13" because there are multiple, multiple SS13s.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh no, it’s suffering! :ohdear:

How does something like that even end up happening?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That would have terrified me as a little kid, drat. Hell, I'm uneasy now!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't even know what's going on but I really want to believe it's somehow Luigi's Mansion related.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What on Earth did they do to that poor Switch?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh no, it’s suffering! :ohdear:

How does something like that even end up happening?

Cardiovorax posted:

What on Earth did they do to that poor Switch?
They mention in the thread its frozen. And occasionally things will freeze in such a way the sound processing still manages to pipe out the last tone or some combination of tones stuck in its buffer.

Frozen sound processing is usually unworldly because noone is ready to hear tones isolated like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ask anyone who's had Source crash on them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

Slightly late, but I believe this is the incident you're referencing:

(from the old griefing thread)

Doesnt ring any bells, I feel lile it was a cheese foam thing. Still, funny nonetheless.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
There is an old Let's Play of Pokemon Blue in which the LPer goes in depth over the various glitches and hacks than can be used in the pokemon cartridge games and the effects of them. One of which affects Glitch Pokemon cries which, as the game tries to read data that is in no way sound-related as sound, become minute-long midi screeching abominations. A certain glitch Pokemon in Yellow was aptly described as "It cries for blood".

It is a hybrid LP and some videos were missing last time I checked, but they seem to have been re-uploaded. Youtube has them as "Let's break Pokemon Blue". Fair warning, even then the goons were not recommending watching them before sleeping; there is a certain terrific quality to watching a kid friendly game quite literally fall apart in screams.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Jiru posted:

There is an old Let's Play of Pokemon Blue in which the LPer goes in depth over the various glitches and hacks than can be used in the pokemon cartridge games and the effects of them. One of which affects Glitch Pokemon cries which, as the game tries to read data that is in no way sound-related as sound, become minute-long midi screeching abominations. A certain glitch Pokemon in Yellow was aptly described as "It cries for blood".

It is a hybrid LP and some videos were missing last time I checked, but they seem to have been re-uploaded. Youtube has them as "Let's break Pokemon Blue". Fair warning, even then the goons were not recommending watching them before sleeping; there is a certain terrific quality to watching a kid friendly game quite literally fall apart in screams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQq6_xa8-U
PI
KA
CHUUUUU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From hell's heart, I Roar at thee.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/TheShiningDown/status/1212216796700430336

WWWE2k20 just keeps on giving

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WWE Y2K20

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh, it obvious, they uhh, clocks sometimes, uhh.

I don't understand.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zedprime posted:

I don't understand.

The classic “single digit year”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WWE2k20 means it's only able to be played until 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zedprime posted:

I don't understand.

please don't doxx me