Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Codsworth/recognized_names

Holy crap. How did I never know that they programmed voice lines for Codsworth for hundreds of possible character names?

He just said my current characters name and I thought I had accidentally chosen the default name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Katt posted:

Holy crap. How did I never know that they programmed voice lines for Codsworth for hundreds of possible character names?

He just said my current characters name and I thought I had accidentally chosen the default name.

No, my son is also named Bort.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm getting borted here. I have a pretty common first name but it's not on the list. Gonna name my next character Boobies though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bort is actually on there, lol

Bethesda actually put something mildly funny in their game

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 31, 2019

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I almost always name my characters Bort in games. Sometimes Son of Bort for online stuff. My message is almost always "My son is also named Bort".

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Think my fave bug to date is when your crosshair doesn’t indicate where your weapon shoots. Like I think there is someway it can’t do the geometry right and just shoots like 45 degrees up and to the right (like maybe their if-then statements don’t handle trig). So when you have 5 bullets hitting the exact same spot outside of the possible weapon spread region it miiiiiiight be a mistake.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Katt posted:

I have weird feelings about that. I feel like I'd rather have had that effort spent on voice acting to go to "Father" to tell me wtf the institute plans to do with the synths. But also it's cool getting my name "Dick Pickle" called by the robot. I like that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe Codsworths voice actor is just really cheap. Based on his IMDB page he doesn't get a lot of work. Like one role a year or sometimes one every 2 years. In contract Fathers voice actor does 5 voice roles per year plus regular acting on top.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Fuckface, General of the Minutemen, at your service

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ah Captain Fuckface, good to see you. I got word from another settlement that needs our help.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Joke's on you, I have mods that make Settlements self-sufficient and disabled your Essential nature

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I’m a weirdo that actually likes the settlement stuff. It’s so chill and relaxing in between my murder rampages. Ya know a little decorating to wind down after headshot-headshot-headshot.

Like I started an alt in 76 and got so fuckin pissed at how long it took to get all the mats to make my little bedroom with my purple unicorn wallpaper so I can have something pretty after my murder rampages through airports and malls. Cause I mean what the gently caress is even the point of post apocalyptic life without purple unicorns?

Not gonna lie, if they added multiple camps or persistent workshops as some kind of 1st premo poo poo I would probably go whale inna heartbeat. Yes yes I know I would be a class traitor but at least I know my whore-out price :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it's such a loving waste, especially given how fantastic some of the settlements in 76 are

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Katt posted:

todd said this specifically during any and all of the E3 presentations about FO4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

mp5 posted:

todd said this specifically during any and all of the E3 presentations about FO4

I have never watched an E3, blizzcon or any other game expose in my entire life. I live only on word of mouth news. What people say on those exposes are 90% bullshit.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Gotta say. Some of these PC players are conspiring to restore my faith in humanity. Rolled a new alt to try out an all pistol run in 76. With the possibility of the steal hack not being patched out figure why not start fresh to minimize losses. Any time I’ve run into some of the lvl 250+ folks out and about they’ve been emoting to my low lvl chica and then making GBS threads out so many presents at me before yeeting out back to their other events. I mean they may be whales and all, but at least they’re nice AF whales.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Katt posted:

I have never watched an E3, blizzcon or any other game expose in my entire life. I live only on word of mouth news. What people say on those exposes are 90% bullshit.

I mean it came straight from Todd Howard, that isn't an exposé, but ok dawg you do you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mp5 posted:

I mean it came straight from Todd Howard, that isn't an exposé, but ok dawg you do you

yeah it's todd howard, you can trust that there's no bullshit from him!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Todd has told zero lies or massive falsehoods in his entire career. Yep, good old honest Todd.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Gotta say. Some of these PC players are conspiring to restore my faith in humanity. Rolled a new alt to try out an all pistol run in 76. With the possibility of the steal hack not being patched out figure why not start fresh to minimize losses. Any time I’ve run into some of the lvl 250+ folks out and about they’ve been emoting to my low lvl chica and then making GBS threads out so many presents at me before yeeting out back to their other events. I mean they may be whales and all, but at least they’re nice AF whales.

Steal the early game from you so you can more quickly reach the nonexistent end game! Good to try and remove the only fun parts to be found in the game.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Rinkles posted:

it's such a loving waste, especially given how fantastic some of the settlements in 76 are

Some of the PC players have decided decorating their CAMP is the end game. I've had a lot of fun exploring some of the shops people have put together. It makes the lack of persistence even more frustrating.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

The 76 "community" on PC seems pretty chill. I roll with voice chat off but people seem to really go out of their way to emote at me. A lot of them drop plans and consumables or sometimes guns and armor.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

mp5 posted:

"Fallout 76 will have single player mode" Todd Howard?

"The Elder Scrolls: Blades is a true elder scrolls game" Todd Howard?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://twitter.com/ColdWinter217/status/1211843836395307008

#3 tho lmao

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Why have you forsaken us Todd!? We expected better of you! (well one human did)

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

Welp, this sure is a way to ring in the New Year alright, drat. Fallout 76 is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

No wonder the Starfield release date has come and gone with no new updates from Beth, they can’t even handle the problems 76 has yet alone the problems an entirely new GAS. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to hear they’ve cancelled it completely at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m beginning to think 76 wasn’t a stopgap and was instead the best they could genuinely do

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Wouldn’t be surprised if 76 was originally planned to have at least a few more quarters of development before release, maybe a full year. Like pretty much all the added/announced content seems it should have been at launch instead of patch/dlc stuff. Also seems like alot of the issues should have been internally known without scriptkiddies having to point it out for them. But I imagine trying to explain the idea of convincing execs that more time is better than “number go up now” is an exercise in futility.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Fallom posted:

I’m beginning to think 76 wasn’t a stopgap and was instead the best they could genuinely do

They peaked at Skyrim. It's why they keep rereleasing it over and over. 76 and Starfield will end Bethesda Game Studios. Zenimax will absorb the publishing arm, Bethesda Softworks, while BGS gets shutdown. It is inevitable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been replaying Skyrim recently after several years, and it’s still honestly amazing. I’ve forgotten a bunch of stuff since I last played, and I’m having an absolute blast. It really was lightning in a bottle, wasn’t it? None of the Fallouts Bethesda have made even come close.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SwitchbladeKult posted:

They peaked at Skyrim. It's why they keep rereleasing it over and over. 76 and Starfield will end Bethesda Game Studios. Zenimax will absorb the publishing arm, Bethesda Softworks, while BGS gets shutdown. It is inevitable.

Don't they already own all of them

but yeah given BGS wasn't even doing 76 alone their ever increasing gap since fo4 is getting just more worrying, especially since Starfield is at best a year or two away and TES6 is....???? Todd is going to be like 65 by the time they do fallout 5 at this rate

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 1, 2020

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Skyrim is pretty terrible imo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Skyrim was like 2011, and fo4 2015? I think

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The only thing surprising me about the hacking issue is how it took people a year to figure it out, I thought we would see hackers in a month after release since I heard how bad the client handles things.

heard u like girls posted:

Skyrim is pretty terrible imo.

objectively bad opinion

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Considering what a massive success Skyrim was it's amazing they didn't release the sequel to it yet. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim have all been reliably printing money and they just stopped.

I loved FO3, NV and FO4 and I worry that Fallout 76 will do to the Fallout Franchise what Elderscrolls online did to Skyrim. Tick off the "one game every 4-5 years checkbox" so they can delay the next one another 5 years.

We should have had Fallout 5 this year but it's probably not even in pre-production.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 1, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I don't think ESO kept back tes6, it's a completely different dev studio much like 76 probably didn't really hold anything back cause bgs Austin was acquired to run it

Starfield, whatever the gently caress it is, is definitely the thing that's pushing things back though

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

On a management level I can absolutely see them wanting to stagger franchise launches for max hype and profit. Regardless of what their actual production capacity is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's really hard going back to Skyrim combat after playing games like Vermintide or Kingdom Come.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I never finished Skyrim back in the day despite 610 hours on it. I want to go back and do it from scratch but cripes that combat is painful in retrospect. Even the stealth killing doesn't feel right.

All you do is mash attack as if they took an FPS game and modded "shot gun" to "shot sword slashes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This sparking wire on the Automaton rail line ride was a nice reference.

https://i.imgur.com/p3HCQN4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zLkl6vl.mp4