Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought the palm sliders are supposed to keep you from breaking your wrist if you put your hands out and a non-slider glove would catch on the asphalt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I think that’s the idea, but without academic research it’s just speculation. For example, my brain tells me helmet-mounted cameras and comm systems are unsafe, but apparently they improve safety. They seem like a good idea to me, but their absence on the high end $400+ stuff is noteworthy as well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I think that’s the idea, but without academic research it’s just speculation. For example, my brain tells me helmet-mounted cameras and comm systems are unsafe, but apparently they improve safety. They seem like a good idea to me, but their absence on the high end $400+ stuff is noteworthy as well.

Iirc Australian law agrees with you (they're not allowed anything on their helmets that sticks out more than a few mm), but I can't imagine that something like a plastic sena or gopro mount wouldn't just disintegrate in a crash before it had a chance to snag on anything and break your neck.

But like you said, without in-depth research it's all so much spit balling and blokes down the pub sharing their reckons.

Personally I like Knox because I tried on dozens of different pairs of gloves and theirs were the only ones that fit just right.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 26, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Got some revzilla gift certificates for xmas and just impulse purchased the A* tech air race vest and a missile jacket to go with it. It's been on my list of things to do eventually anyway, so I used some of the money I was going to spend upgrading to a bike with ABS and got these instead. ABS was probably the better upgrade, but oh well. I'll report back once I have a chance to try it out. I have an upcoming supermoto track day, but you're not supposed to use it for supermoto so I may see if I can convince my buddy to do an asphalt only day at the supermoto track instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Iirc Australian law agrees with you (they're not allowed anything on their helmets that sticks out more than a few mm), but I can't imagine that something like a plastic sena or gopro mount wouldn't just disintegrate in a crash before it had a chance to snag on anything and break your neck.

But like you said, without in-depth research it's all so much spit balling and blokes down the pub sharing their reckons.

Personally I like Knox because I tried on dozens of different pairs of gloves and theirs were the only ones that fit just right.

The worry for me, particularly with the gopro style mounts, isn't them catching and breaking your neck, but them just spearing straight through the shell if you hit at the wrong angle - a few reports at the time suggested this is what happened to Michael Schumacher. It's why I moved my mount from next to the visor (one of the weakest points on a helmet) to the bottom (one of the strongest, and one where if poo poo does go badly wrong it's going to break my jaw, not my skull).

Like you say it's all supposition (and given the massive range of different helmet designs, mounting options and possible impacts one that's probably not even reliably testable), but then what isn't about motorbikes?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

..just spearing straight through the shell if you hit at the wrong angle - a few reports at the time suggested this is what happened to Michael Schumacher.

Skiing helmets like what Schumacher would have been wearing aren’t as heavy duty as motorcycle helmets in terms of shell construction, are they?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Skiing helmets like what Schumacher would have been wearing aren’t as heavy duty as motorcycle helmets in terms of shell construction, are they?

Some of them are actually thicker-shelled, because resistance to piercing is more important than shock and abrasion resistance given the lower speeds but much higher likelihood to hit rocks/trees etc, as well as reusability - motorbike helmet shells tend to be about as thin as they can get away with because they're only there to protect the foam from damage in everyday use, which is why you're warned to get them checked after drops and should discard them if the shell cracks or is even heavily scratched. Ski helmets (and MTB and even some motocross helmets) are designed to take multiple crashes because that's the nature of the activity - it's why you almost never see carbon fibre in them, whereas it's ubiquitous in higher-end motorbike helmets. (CF itself is fine, especially as it's normally combined with kevlar or other aramids for impact and abrasion resistance, but the epoxy is incredibly fragile and even slight dings can damage it to the point that it compromises the integrity of the helmet)

However some of them are like road bicycle helmets and the "shell" is actually just an incredibly thin skim of polycarb over the foam to keep water and UV off it, or even just vinyl, to keep the weight as low as possible.

Like I say though, it was only unconfirmed reports from the time so it could be complete bollocks - AFAIK the only official word is that he was wearing a helmet and was seriously injured despite it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone know where I can get a leather jacket similar to this cut but In actually good quality materials instead of lovely pu leather?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...pg?v=1575256246

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Razzled posted:

Anyone know where I can get a leather jacket similar to this cut but In actually good quality materials instead of lovely pu leather?

Icon makes things with hoods. Possibly them?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Razzled posted:

I took a quick glance on revzilla and found these, I think the first or second would be closest to what you're going for.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/first-manufacturing-vendetta-jacket
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/street-steel-drifter-jacket
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/first-manufacturing-street-cruiser-jacket
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/roland-sands-jagger-jacket
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-varial-jacket

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some of them are actually thicker-shelled, because resistance to piercing is more important than shock and abrasion resistance given the lower speeds but much higher likelihood to hit rocks/trees etc, as well as reusability - motorbike helmet shells tend to be about as thin as they can get away with because they're only there to protect the foam from damage in everyday use, which is why you're warned to get them checked after drops and should discard them if the shell cracks or is even heavily scratched. Ski helmets (and MTB and even some motocross helmets) are designed to take multiple crashes because that's the nature of the activity - it's why you almost never see carbon fibre in them, whereas it's ubiquitous in higher-end motorbike helmets. (CF itself is fine, especially as it's normally combined with kevlar or other aramids for impact and abrasion resistance, but the epoxy is incredibly fragile and even slight dings can damage it to the point that it compromises the integrity of the helmet)

However some of them are like road bicycle helmets and the "shell" is actually just an incredibly thin skim of polycarb over the foam to keep water and UV off it, or even just vinyl, to keep the weight as low as possible.

Like I say though, it was only unconfirmed reports from the time so it could be complete bollocks - AFAIK the only official word is that he was wearing a helmet and was seriously injured despite it.

Ah cool, I had actually always wondered about motocross helmets, because I figured those things lead very tough lives and surely aren’t being replaced after every impact.

IIRC some friend of the Schumacher family or similar mouthed off about the GoPro thing on a radio interview and then never said another thing about it - I wonder if they were contacted by GoPro’s Legal department or something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I started watching the Mandalorian. In episode 5 there's a new bounty hunter character. Picture in spoilers....

Those gloves looked familar.

The perfed version are my hot weather gloves. Made me chuckle.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody know if there’s a lock (even if it’s a pushbike lock) that has an alarm that sends SMS over a cell network?

It doesn’t even need to be overly robust as it’d just be keeping the cover locked to the wheels, with the actual security being done by needy chains.

Someone pissed on my bike the other day, and now I want to confront the fucker who keeps loving with it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

Does anybody know if there’s a lock (even if it’s a pushbike lock) that has an alarm that sends SMS over a cell network?

It doesn’t even need to be overly robust as it’d just be keeping the cover locked to the wheels, with the actual security being done by needy chains.

Someone pissed on my bike the other day, and now I want to confront the fucker who keeps loving with it.

I think the spot trace is what you’re looking for?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

builds character posted:

I think the spot trace is what you’re looking for?

I’ve already got a similar system installed on the bike, it doesn’t trigger as it needs ~10m of movement.

The bike doesn’t move, it just gets hosed with nightly. There’s two alarmed padlocks on it, but it’s in a parking garage and I can’t hear them from my flat.

If the padlock alarms also sent a SMS to alert me, that would be ideal. I could be down there before pissy-mc-fuckhead has had time to open his fly.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A stupid idea: a tiny raspberry pi + web cam concealed somewhere up in the rafters, so to speak, aimed at the bike? If you could figure out some way to power it and/or connect to WiFi to view a live feed of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
At that point just take a day off and do a stakeout

Also have you considered getting a cover so the piss goes on that instead of your bike

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Piss on bike first. Show your dominance!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Piss on bike first. Show your dominance!

This exactly.

Like how when you're getting mugged you should immediately strip naked and start challenging the muggers to single combat; take the initiative, put them on the back foot, you'd be amazed at the result.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Horse Clocks posted:

I’ve already got a similar system installed on the bike, it doesn’t trigger as it needs ~10m of movement.

The bike doesn’t move, it just gets hosed with nightly. There’s two alarmed padlocks on it, but it’s in a parking garage and I can’t hear them from my flat.

If the padlock alarms also sent a SMS to alert me, that would be ideal. I could be down there before pissy-mc-fuckhead has had time to open his fly.

Ok I don't have a solution yet but you need to start saving your urine in little bags or rubbers or something right now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

This exactly.

Like how when you're getting mugged you should immediately strip naked and start challenging the muggers to single combat; take the initiative, put them on the back foot, you'd be amazed at the result.

But before you do this get a gopro, fights where one dude takes his shirt off are always extremely entertaining

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

For those of you who wear armor, what do you wear during the summer? I live in North Carolina, and I hate the heat, so I'd like to be protected but not completely melt.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Rev'it Airwave (jacket and trousers) or similar textiles with reinforced seams and large mesh panels. You'll still sweat, but the airflow when you're moving will stop you literally keeling over from heatstroke.

Try not to get stuck in traffic.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Rev'it Airwave (jacket and trousers) or similar textiles with reinforced seams and large mesh panels. You'll still sweat, but the airflow when you're moving will stop you literally keeling over from heatstroke.

Try not to get stuck in traffic.

This is what I do, also in NC. Commute almost every day with it, and although it doesnt make the temperature pleasant, it is tolerable.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My A* Missile jacket finally arrived, it fits fine everywhere in size 58 except my arms, where it's comically tight. I know it's a race fit, but I actually can't even get the jacket off without help it's so tight (although I didn't have my undersuit on, but this is not even being sweaty). It looks like size 60 is the largest they make, but I don't know if that gets you any extra room in the biceps, versus the waist and chest. My chest and waist measurements made 58 appropriate, I guess I can return it and try 60, but if that doesn't work I think I'm screwed on any A* jackets that work with the tech air race system, unless some of their other jackets have more room. I have an A* textile jacket in 2XL (which revzilla says is equal to 58), and it fits fine in the arms. Anyone know if any of the other tech air jackets are looser? If none of their jackets are going to work for me, I'll need to return the tech air vest before it becomes a very expensive paperweight.

For reference I just measured my arms at the thickest point of the bicep and they're 18.5". Maybe I'd have better luck going to cycle gear in person and seeing what fits.

Maybe a more street oriented jacket like this would work?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Are chest and back protectors compatible with the tech air system? If the size 60 works for your arms but the torso is too loose, maybe you can fill it out with protectors. I have the non tech air version of the missile jacket, and the actual protectors are definitely thicker than the placeholder foam pads the jacket came with.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah the tech air system includes a back protector, and you can add in the chest protectors. I didn't try on the jacket with the vest so I may be just right in a 60, but the arm was ridiculous. Maybe I'll try the 60 and just wear it for a while to make it expand, but there is no way I'm getting it off without help. Of course I had problems getting off a borrowed 1 piece suit that was broken in, but that was from sweat + bare skin.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Any of you actually buy it? Reveille is already sold out lol crazy

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SirLeigh posted:

For those of you who wear armor, what do you wear during the summer? I live in North Carolina, and I hate the heat, so I'd like to be protected but not completely melt.

Any of the Rukka Air* gear with Cordura AFT works great. Amazing airflow through the whole jacket/pants. Still hot if you're not moving though.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone have a portable battery air compressor they'd recommend?

Looking for something I can sling in my pack when dual sporting to change tyre pressure from roads to trails and back again.

I realise a hand pump is probably the right answer here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shelvocke posted:

Looking for something I can sling in my pack when dual sporting to change tyre pressure from roads to trails and back again.

I got the little slime deal. You need a 12V plug wired in though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

I have the antigravity one that’s like $20 off amazon. comes with both a battery tender style plug and a cigarette plug for charging. doubt your dual sport has a cigarette port, but wiring a battery for a tender lead is easy af. I’ve stored mine beneath my seat on my SAR for almost two years now through rain and other fun stuff and it still works perfectly

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Nice to both. I'm in the process of adding a battery and new harness so wiring charger for one of those will be no hardship.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

Nice to both. I'm in the process of adding a battery and new harness so wiring charger for one of those will be no hardship.

Depends a lot on how much you care about weight and other people and recurring costs, but I’d just get some c02 cartridges as they’re the smallest and lightest.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Imo get a handpump. They make pocket-sized ones for bicycles, and they're completely featherweight, and you can pump up a tire surprisingly quickly with one. Mine fits under the pillion seat cover easily, it's about the size of a straight banana. My bike sat for about a month while I was traveling and I had to take it from like 15 psi to 30, takes about 5-10 minutes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I use a CO2 inflator, 4 12grams, if you do it right 2 12 grams will work more than enough, screw it up and you'll use all 4 and have enough air to make it to the corner gas station.
https://www.amazon.com/Global-Brand...8944512&sr=8-44

The other option is putting an SAE connector on your battery, getting a 12 volt socket adapter and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40020-...8944512&sr=8-33

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that antigravity pump can be stripped from its plastic housing to weigh just about as much as a bunch of CO2 cylinders + chuck

plus you can use it to air up your tires after airing them down for offroading. I just do not see the case in which carrying all that crap instead of a tiny pump is a better choice

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

that antigravity pump can be stripped from its plastic housing to weigh just about as much as a bunch of CO2 cylinders + chuck

plus you can use it to air up your tires after airing them down for offroading. I just do not see the case in which carrying all that crap instead of a tiny pump is a better choice

That sounds like a fine solution to me too, but I'm a little confused by "all that crap" when what you're talking about is a couple CO2 cylinders and the chuck...

purely fwiw, as someone who has all three, here's what I think the tradeoff is:

CO2 - pro: smallest, simplest option so least likely to fail. con: single use, pain to carry enough to fully air up if you want to air your tires down a lot
bike pump - pro: not electric so less failure points, pretty small, you can get some really expensive nice ones for bikes that go to super high PSI for your tubliss tubes, multi-use, con: you have to pump it up by hand. I generally do not want to pump things up by hand.
electric pump - pro: pump up as many tires as you want as much as you want, still very small, also cheap. con: most likely to fail, but honestly how likely is that and you can definitely still ride at 12 psi on the highway if you want although it's not ideal for your tires, you become the guy who has a pump if you ride with friends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you're all somehow forgetting the lightest, easiest, most elegant solution

on a motorcycle the spark plugs are just right there in front of you. it's perfect

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

you're all somehow forgetting the lightest, easiest, most elegant solution

on a motorcycle the spark plugs are just right there in front of you. it's perfect

This is sincerely one of the best ideas I've ever seen provided you have n+1 cylinders.