Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unless the salvage is really unusually high and the cash payouts are low. That's the secret signal that the mission is gonna be tanks for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It is week 52 in a 4 salvage career and I haven't gotten a single new medium mech other than the heavy metal box, which was a phoenix hawk.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just got the base game. Any of the DLCs / season pass worth buying at this point?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

pmchem posted:

I just got the base game. Any of the DLCs / season pass worth buying at this point?

Flashpoint - Yes
Urban Warfare - Meh
Heavy Metal - YES

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And Tyler Too! posted:

Flashpoint - Yes
Urban Warfare - Meh
Heavy Metal - YES

The urban warfare FPs are p fun, the raven one aside. I'd just get it all.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

pmchem posted:

Everything. It really adds to the game and makes it so much more enjoyable. Do it while it's likely still on sale.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Keltar posted:

Everything. It really adds to the game and makes it so much more enjoyable. Do it while it's likely still on sale.

:hmmyes:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Flashpoint - Yes
Urban Warfare - Meh
Heavy Metal - YES

Urban maps are fun, get them all while they are on sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know what's more annoying than missing two rounds straight on a medium mech? The other medium mech you couldn't kill them destroying your double heat sink in one medium laser shot after it opens you up.

You're fired Behemoth.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Carcer posted:

It is week 52 in a 4 salvage career and I haven't gotten a single new medium mech other than the heavy metal box, which was a phoenix hawk.

I found going heavy cash is the fastest way to get new mechs in HM early game. With unequipped mechs and hordes of lights, I usually end up not having enough weapons to make good builds to take on over difficult missions to get better salvage. Going full money I can just buy parts and get some good builds up quick.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The stores are so laughably overstocked in vanilla that you can go full cash on missions and buy a medium Mech before leaving your first planet in career mode if things align right.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Does Glitch joining up with Grayson get a callback in the flashpoint where you fight by his side?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

JacksLibido posted:

I found going heavy cash is the fastest way to get new mechs in HM early game. With unequipped mechs and hordes of lights, I usually end up not having enough weapons to make good builds to take on over difficult missions to get better salvage. Going full money I can just buy parts and get some good builds up quick.

anakha posted:

The stores are so laughably overstocked in vanilla that you can go full cash on missions and buy a medium Mech before leaving your first planet in career mode if things align right.

That's been my experience as well on both a campaign and career post HM. Go full cash until you can buy/build a well-equipped lance, then do harder contracts with full salvage. TBH the salvage on low-skull missions is usually trash anyhow.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This was always the way to go in career for scoring purposes, in order to get a couple good mediums so you could start taking better difficulty contracts.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

pmchem posted:

The DLC is almost all oriented towards people playing the career mode, rather than the story campaign. You can hold off on getting the DLC until you've played the main story, and see if you want to add stuff for the career mode.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That said it's super easy to mod campaign mode to give you flashpoints at an appropriate time, too. I modded it to open up the full map and flashpoints once you got the Argo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stravag posted:

Bt save editor maybe?

Thanks this worked! (Though weirdly I had to remove *all* mod tags not just the one for the mod I'd ditched before it would load.)

That save editor is hella comprehensive. Would also be good for deleting mod equipment from an in-progress save if someone had a game going with mods that they didn't want to use anymore.

Conspiratiorist posted:

This was always the way to go in career for scoring purposes, in order to get a couple good mediums so you could start taking better difficulty contracts.

Career mode score is a lot from total money earned, does salvage contribute to that? At the rate it shows on the salvage choice screen, or how much the stuff would be worth if sold?

The salvage screen prices are what it'd cost for you to buy the item, but the sell price is 1/10th that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Salvage isn’t counted in that score but money you make from selling it is.

If you’re trying to max out your score make sure to sell off all your random extra BS the day before it ends

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I decided to start again because my situation, while financially stable, was pretty dire otherwise. While going over my new mechs I see I've drawn a booby prize and have a Cicada.

Then I get 2 COIL-L's out of the Heavy Metal box and fit one to the cicada, now this stupid thing is charging across the battlefield obliterating anything it looks at.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there a working version of ModTek for Heavy Metal? It's dying with 1.8.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jedit posted:

Is there a working version of ModTek for Heavy Metal? It's dying with 1.8.

You don't need modtek anymore, the modloader is built into the game (and HBS basically just used the modtek codebase with the coder's permission and their own UI). See the PDF in Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods\HBS, all your mods go there.

OTOH modtek has also been updated for 1.8 -- afaik it supports stuff the standard game doesn't but shouldn't be needed for the vast majority of mods.

edit: also if you are having conflicts from an old modtek you should re-verify your install thru steam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a Battlemaster in the campaign and just slammed every arm mod, leg mod, and some flamers and inferno++ I bought on it. 200 melee damage. :haw:

It's not going to be GOOD but it's going to be satisfying.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Salvage isn’t counted in that score but money you make from selling it is.

If you’re trying to max out your score make sure to sell off all your random extra BS the day before it ends

It's raw C-bills earned, so you can sell all your poo poo, use the money to buy new poo poo, then sell that and so on.

Salvage itself is decent income earning since a chassis salvage pick is effectively 200k to 400k c-bills once you're seeing 50+ ton mechs on the regular. If you make the effort to get rid of side torsos (to take the cruft out of the salvage screen) and then either leg or pilot kill, you can earn more from salvage than raw cash on certain contract types.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

You don't need modtek anymore, the modloader is built into the game (and HBS basically just used the modtek codebase with the coder's permission and their own UI). See the PDF in Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods\HBS, all your mods go there.

OTOH modtek has also been updated for 1.8 -- afaik it supports stuff the standard game doesn't but shouldn't be needed for the vast majority of mods.

edit: also if you are having conflicts from an old modtek you should re-verify your install thru steam.

No, this is the newest version of ModTek from December 2019.

Tried using the built-in modloader and now my career won't load, it just cycles through Handy Tips and Lore. Doing a verification, will see what happens.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Norton the First posted:

Does Glitch joining up with Grayson get a callback in the flashpoint where you fight by his side?

No but mostly because you fight alongside Morgan Kell.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
You can also just pull the ModTek folder out of another mod like 3025 commander edition or 3062 mod, those work with 1.8.1, just be sure to delete your old .modtek and ModTek folders and reinject the modtek to clear out its mod cache.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is in fact not satisfying when the 200 damage punch just takes the dead arm off a mech. :smith:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jedit posted:

No, this is the newest version of ModTek from December 2019.

Tried using the built-in modloader and now my career won't load, it just cycles through Handy Tips and Lore. Doing a verification, will see what happens.

If you are using basic mods the built-in one should work, I think only the stuff like roguetech or extended needs addon modtech.

After you verify & delete the cache (.modtek for modtek, Cache & Database folders in HBS for built-in), if it still doesn't load then get FYLS for a more readable log to get a better idea of what's not loading. When it endlessly cycled in loading like that it's generally because your save has a modded part that's not getting into the database properly.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

It is in fact not satisfying when the 200 damage punch just takes the dead arm off a mech. :smith:

It is, however, deeply satisfying when your arm modded hatchetman destroys the entire left side of a mech in one swipe

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I would be a-okay with a pilot skill that allowed Sprint-to-melee, or gave DFA a damage bonus based on the difference between the jumping mech and the victim mech's tonnage.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Theres a sprint to melee mod and it makes life SO much more interesting because anyone can do it. Also sprint then fire makes life VERY interesting

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

If you are using basic mods the built-in one should work, I think only the stuff like roguetech or extended needs addon modtech.

After you verify & delete the cache (.modtek for modtek, Cache & Database folders in HBS for built-in), if it still doesn't load then get FYLS for a more readable log to get a better idea of what's not loading. When it endlessly cycled in loading like that it's generally because your save has a modded part that's not getting into the database properly.

The default loader is working with ModTek added from the latest iteration of 3062. Problem is, now I get stuck at loading contracts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Communist Walrus posted:

It is, however, deeply satisfying when your arm modded hatchetman destroys the entire left side of a mech in one swipe

If only it worked against mechs heavier than 45 tons.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Carcer posted:

loving lol

e: that sucks so hard dude... lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

If only it worked against mechs heavier than 45 tons.

Brawler Banshees can do it to a 65-tonner.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jedit posted:

The default loader is working with ModTek added from the latest iteration of 3062. Problem is, now I get stuck at loading contracts.

Have you tried travelling to another planet? That generally resolves the stuck at contracts issue. (Game is trying to load old contracts from your save rather than generate new ones and getting wedged.)

As long as you can look at your mechs in the mechbay you're probably good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the campaign mission where you recover the data but not Alexander it looks like they screwed up the dialogue a bit - there's two unfinished passes for each character blending into each other.

I forgot just how long the campaign is though. I could probably do it in six months but I hosed up and forgot what was where and travel time so it's a year and change. Apparently someone "speed ran" the game in six hours lol

quote:

Have you tried travelling to another planet? That generally resolves the stuck at contracts issue. (Game is trying to load old contracts from your save rather than generate new ones and getting wedged.)

The contracts also break at times in the campaign because the game assumes you'll do what it says and abandon the planet instead of squeezing every last cent out of every day, so the menu will spin forever (because there aren't any to do).

e: Hrnngh I could buy the parts for an Atlas 2 (but only the parts, so no DHSes) for 10 mil, I have 4, there's 6 mil in contracts, and I have four assaults. No one take structure damage, you fuckers

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 2, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

That was the first thing I tried. I'm going to see if I can start a new campaign, sad though I will be to lose one where I got two Highlanders in one mission and already had a Marauder to lop heads.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Carcer posted:

I think I might be in the same boat on a five salvage campaign. The box gave me an Assassin. On that note, does the box have a weight limit or could you conceivably get a heavy at the start of a career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's one of three Mediums. You get either an Assassin, a Vulcan or a Phoenix Hawk.