Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

star eater posted:

good god no wonder this thread has 2 bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

star eater posted:

good god no wonder this thread has 2 bars

It's up there with the idiots on social media thread for intensity of pointless derails

e: come to think of it they're the same thread this one is just about a specific platform

turd in my singlet fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 1, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/husbandu/status/1211871548816187392?s=20

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Anne Whateley posted:

The goalposts are on wheels here and this is getting far away from reddit. But for what it's worth, you don't get to be in a professional orchestra because your youtube video went viral and your insta has a lot of followers. You do blind auditions, and you can be the second clarinetist even if you're the least charismatic person on the planet. Those guys are not grateful for the chance to play videogame music. There's a lot of other new orchestral music they'd rather be doing.

Not to be a dick but I sing with a pro orchestra. I really think Mozart in the Jungle would be interesting for you to look into that world.

seriously! people have no idea how much culture they're just missing out on by just getting all their entertainment pumped in through the Internet Tube. like, y'all know Vermont, the cold state which isn't New York or New Hampshire? Of course you don't, nobody does, because it's a lovely place nobody actually lives in.

They have a youth orchestra. As in, the music is written, performed, and conducted by youths. They're incredible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just be you - an ugly, young, racist. At least they know their demographics.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I believe you but honestly I have a hard time imagining "orchestra music that orchestra musicians want to play" and "orchestra music anyone will pay money for" as a venn diagram. More like two distant solar bodies that occasionally create an eclipse every couple of centuries.

Shostakovich?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also, heroin addicts murdering their wife and waking up in hell.

My local NPR bluegrass station went away a while back. Now it's a Sputnik affiliate. :(

check out Radio Bristol

https://www.birthplaceofcountrymusic.org/radio/

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

WrenP-Complete posted:

Shostakovich?

I don’t know anything about orchestral music except that orchestra nerds won’t shut up about this dude so I can imagine the entire audience for his stuff is just whatever musicians aren’t currently in the orchestra

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Jesus Christ you joyless turds, orchestras are good, music is good, video game music is good, orchestras playing video game music is good, orchestras playing classical music is good, Reddit is bad.

Mozart wrote a tune called Leck mich im Arsch, he really wasn’t all in for high art.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually no

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
People who think they don't like classical music do well starting at the rite of spring.

I'm fine with people who listen to video game music, so long as it's not chiptunes. The only genre I look down on people for being a fan of. It's not real music.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Chiptunes were really impressive when it was a hardware limitation of games/consoles and a huge amount of work went into making memorable and beautiful music that took up like literal bytes of memory.

People still making chiptunes I don't really understand.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don’t know anything about orchestral music except that orchestra nerds won’t shut up about this dude so I can imagine the entire audience for his stuff is just whatever musicians aren’t currently in the orchestra

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trapick posted:

Chiptunes were really impressive when it was a hardware limitation of games/consoles and a huge amount of work went into making memorable and beautiful music that took up like literal bytes of memory.

Sometimes bleeps and bloops make pleasant noises. I'm a musical philistine so I'm sure it's structurally vapid and technically unimpressive and all sorts of poo poo, but whatever sometimes it makes a melody and I like it.

:agreed: that anyone who listens exclusively, or even primarily, to works made of chiptune sounds are well... I don't get them.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
i like chiptune remixes because it's interesting to see those highly limited sound fonts used to make a complicated melody, and it still sounds good

but it's so limited i think id go crazy if i had to listen to nothing but chiptunes for the rest of my life

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i can’t relate to anyone who only listens to one genre of music, be it bleepbloop or otherwise

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also im pretty sure chiptunes flourish because using the actual song in a video or stream will get it demonetized so go for the bargain bin version so you can still get the point across.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
why does it say "the legend of zelda 1" on the screen

there was *only one zelda*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why is that oval office smashing poo poo with a hammer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Trapick posted:

There’s a couple of strains of it, one of which had died off.

Some liked to push the limitations of those machines to create new sounds or took joy in finding workarounds.

There was a bit of a boom in ‘eighties Mario rawr XD’ chiptune about a decade back that followed the logic that anything cutesy from their childhoods was cool and good but they’ve generally moved on or grew up leaving a bunch of weirdos with soldering irons and LSDJ carts.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Like any instrument, chip sounds can be good when used tastefully with other normal instruments

which obviously never happens because nerds

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I don't like that people on reddit call random people "Friend", like can you make yourself sound like less of a cult leader please? thanks

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

sorry to hear that, guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There is a depressing grain of truth in this, even if the execution is clumsy and boomer af

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

There is a depressing grain of truth in this, even if the execution is clumsy and boomer af

Is "Video games are the only place where I'm accepted" a boomer opinion now?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
why did ready player one, the book, come out like a decade after everyone stopped giving a poo poo about the 80s? like, how many waves of 80s nostalgia do we really have to survive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing like a good video game to harness your antisocial and violent tendencies.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

razorrozar posted:

why does it say "the legend of zelda 1" on the screen

there was *only one zelda*

It was the 80s; there was a long lag-time on releases to other localities. By the time Zelda was released in English, Zelda II was already for sale in Japan.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mind the walrus posted:

The depressing grain of truth is that an adult spent time making it and other adults liked it. Everybody had a hard time sometimes when they were kids, getting a virtual back-pat while you were at it is nothing to base your life on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

wa27 posted:

Is "Video games are the only place where I'm accepted" a boomer opinion now?
It's in the lovely drawings, especially the video game screen which has already been dissected. Like yeah lots of latchkey kids only got a sense of structure, progress, and encouragement from games but only a paint-eating middlebrow would possibly express it by a pixel screen saying "You are Great."

Real Mean Queen posted:

The depressing grain of truth is that an adult spent time making it and other adults liked it. Everybody had a hard time sometimes when they were kids, getting a virtual back-pat while you were at it is nothing to base your life on.

I'm sorry you never beat "The Legend of Zelda 1" and got told "You Are Great." Do you need to hear it now?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The end of Zelda literally does say "You are great" and "The Legend of Zelda 1."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wow that is... ok yeah mea culpa I'll cop to that one. I genuinely thought it couldn't possibly be that stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like I this example as something redone in a good fashion
Original: Prayer, from Terranigma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acDgcJv7b4Q

And a reorchestrated version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu33-61CAEM

razorrozar posted:

i like chiptune remixes because it's interesting to see those highly limited sound fonts used to make a complicated melody, and it still sounds good
I suppose it's nostalgia, but I find that the limitations are more fun than the CD Quality remakes. Mega Man X has one metal as gently caress stage and most everyone that approaches it goes straight into death thrash and it kind of loses the appeal.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 2, 2020

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What if you're not great?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What then?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's saying you're great because you finished the game. that's the internal logic of the "you're great" thing. this is really complicated stuff folks

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Would have been fine if it stopped at the fourth panel.