Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I'm assuming he meant Lars Sullivan unless I'm really out of the loving loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/1212053882924359680?s=20

Casey loving sucks. How about just telling LGBTQ storylines that aren’t 90s shock bullshit?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I do feel bad for Sonya (and other LGBTQ WWE employees) because she's being exploited for publicity with "THE FIRST GAY WRESTLER" and then she has to sit there and watch this poo poo that would have been loving embarrassing twenty years ago.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Enjoying things is pretty gay

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I do feel bad for Sonya (and other LGBTQ WWE employees) because she's being exploited for publicity with "THE FIRST GAY WRESTLER" and then she has to sit there and watch this poo poo that would have been loving embarrassing twenty years ago.

Were they really touting her as the first gay wrestler when they already did that years ago with Darren Young? (And then never used him and eventually released him.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ShootaBoy posted:

Were they really touting her as the first gay wrestler when they already did that years ago with Darren Young? (And then never used him and eventually released him.)

or Pat Patterson

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They probably did Sonya a favor not using her in this angle but I am very, very ready for actual LGBT people playing in LGBT storylines even if it's embarrassing retrograde poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bitch dont touch me is pretty much every wrestling angle anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShootaBoy posted:

She's their first out lesbian wrestler

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

the first one they decided to use as marketing. How quickly we forget Katie Lea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

And she and Mandy have apparently been pitching a romance angle between themselves for like a year. Including some very unsubtle hinting about 4 months ago that went nowhere. Probably because Sonya being actually gay and on Smackdown means they'd need to actually be careful and NOT be incredibly offensive.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

reddit posted:

What if you are being worked by this right now? Heyman was well aware how this angle would be received by the current audience and he knew the controversy it would generate. What if this whole angle is designed as a facepush for Sonya Deville to come in and shut it down and show what "true LGBTQ+ representation is all about in 2020"? You are getting worked in to a shoot, brother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dimebags Brain posted:

reddit hypothesis.

I've seen more compelling arguments on "What if the pyramids... but aliens!?!" shows on the History Channel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Why would they no tv we making a new Star when the angle did what it intended?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/elpwrestling/status/1209852266548617218

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1212119936182538241?s=19

Is Satin one of the stupidest and most disingenuous people in wrestling or is he the stupidest and most disingenuous person in wrestling?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Is Satin one of the stupidest and most disingenuous people in wrestling or is he the stupidest and most disingenuous person in wrestling?

The money hat is strong.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1212119936182538241?s=19

That's a lot of words to say "I've never seen Brokeback Mountain"

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Generally speaking, I think wrestling fans could be more generous with their “let’s see where this going” threshold, but that’s a pretty absurd argument in this particular case.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

e

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 18, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
People's capacity to Let's See How This Plays Out with WWE always shocks me.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

I guess after 20 years it becomes second nature

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wait and see was a desperate/sarcastic catchphrase around here for a while

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

We just need to give the company that is owned and operated by a well-known racist sexist misogynist homophobe the benefit of the doubt, and see the nuances in this lesbian interracial double-cuck storyline.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MJeff posted:

Has wait and see ever ever paid in the world of wrestling? For the life of me I can't think of a single WWE angle that started lovely and was worth while in the end. Also I'd bet good money that there's no real follow up to the Liv thing and she spends the next few months hitting on random women on raw.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Wait and see" works all the time in promotions that book long-term and have an endgame they patiently stick to and rewards fans for paying attention to details (see: countless examples in NJPW I can think of off the top of my head, also like 95% of David Starr's feuds the past few years). But you can't apply that same logic to a company where the senile 74-year-old literally rewrites shows an hour before they start.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/wwe_womens_evol/status/1212000820817842176

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Watch some actual LGBTQ media for fucks sake

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Has wait and see ever ever paid in the world of wrestling?

king-of-sports-new-japan-pro-wrestling.mp4

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

JT Smiley posted:

Has wait and see ever ever paid in the world of wrestling?

Okada. Also Naito's booking from WK12 onward, provided he gets both belts this weekend.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne posted:

Watch some actual LGBTQ media for fucks sake

They will literally never do this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only time wait and see has ever really even kinda worked in WWE is Daniel Bryan's lead up to WM30 and even that only happened cause the fans dragged them there kicking and screaming

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

The only time wait and see has ever really even kinda worked in WWE is Daniel Bryan's lead up to WM30 and even that only happened cause the fans dragged them there kicking and screaming

And they immediately hosed it up after.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The problem isn't that wait and see booking never works. The problem is that wait and see booking never works in WWE. For long term booking to be effective you have to have:

A unified creative vision
A stable talent pool (no major churn in who is available)
Willingness to do things now that are designed to pay off later.

The only one of these that WWE has is a stable talent pool, and even that's only a "kinda". Their unified creative vision is the caprice of an elderly racist, and they have been known to set things up at the beginning of a show that they have abandoned by the end of that show.

There is no comparison between this and, say, Gedo's booking of NJPW. There's certainly no comparison between this and Mike Quackenbush's booking of Chikara, where he once shut down the company for a year in pursuit of an angle. Of course, the pressures on WWE to deliver a weekly product are different, but it does reduce how much I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Even if they had a thoughtful and nuanced end to their current story planned, all it would take would be Vince having indigestion one Monday morning for the whole thing to be scrapped.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And now there are reports that Sonya is upset because she's been pitching a lesbian storyline for at least a year and been ignored, and then they go ahead with two of the blondest women in the company for the most stereotypical version of such a thing

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
One of the funniest bits about this has been people having meltdowns that something that hadn’t been teased even remotely never happened. Basically some people hyperanalysed Liz Morgan’s weird twitter stuff when she was clearly just having a little fun into thinking that it was this massive build to her aligning with THE FIEND and so when they did this you had a fair few people genuinely angry that their fan theory didn’t happen. So they seem to have pleased, well, nearly no one.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

IceAgeComing posted:

One of the funniest bits about this has been people having meltdowns that something that hadn’t been teased even remotely never happened. Basically some people hyperanalysed Liz Morgan’s weird twitter stuff when she was clearly just having a little fun into thinking that it was this massive build to her aligning with THE FIEND and so when they did this you had a fair few people genuinely angry that their fan theory didn’t happen. So they seem to have pleased, well, nearly no one.

Countdown to the same thing happening if Marty shows up in AEW and isn’t really behind the Dark Order or Butcher/Blade/Bunny are new Villain Enterprises.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Or indeed if Marty just doesn’t sign with AEW and instead sticks with ROH or just with NJoA or whatever

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This isn’t hard. WWE did the dumb thing on purpose so people who won’t even talk about them under normal circumstances are talking about them. They don’t give a gently caress about proper representation, GLAAD or KSA’s politics. Godless capitalist scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Countdown to the same thing happening if Marty shows up in AEW and isn’t really behind the Dark Order or Butcher/Blade/Bunny are new Villain Enterprises.

I don't think I'd be mad about this, honestly, because I trust aew to come up with something just as good or better than those theories. Honestly him being the guy who comes in and sees the Elite falling apart and gets everyone back on the same page would be just as good, for example. With WWE I don't trust them to do anything good ever.