Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pomp posted:

It still blows mind that Americanized healthcare didn't terrify your voters

The NHS being sold off bit by bit is a "frog in a saucepan being slowly brought to boil" situation. It's something older voters have enjoyed since birth and they don't realize that the privatization heat is slowly being turned up, and will happily vote for the hand in control of the temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

AnoHito posted:

I think I heard that at least his successor will probably be equally left, so here's to hoping for it.

Better Things Aren't Possible, as has been repeatedly proven in the last couple of decades. labour are getting some piece of poo poo left-neolib, and the tories will rule for 10-15 years

also, 5 year parliament terms seem a bit long to me

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

1st Jan 2020, Brexit getting done. We're in the pipe, five by five.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yinlock posted:

they bled heavily because of the triangulation

they would've bled heavily no matter what, is my point

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BMX Ninja posted:

The NHS being sold off bit by bit is a "frog in a saucepan being slowly brought to boil" situation. It's something older voters have enjoyed since birth and they don't realize that the privatization heat is slowly being turned up, and will happily vote for the hand in control of the temperature.

Also much like spoiled US white boomers, they don't have to worry about have to live with long term consequences.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

redleader posted:

Honestly, I feel like they're doing everything to make things more like a presidential system, in particular the United States, and it just strikes me as awful and bad.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

I'm not owned, I wanted to be owned

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

foobardog posted:

Honestly, I feel like they're doing everything to make things more like a presidential system, in particular the United States, and it just strikes me as awful and bad.

yeah it's happening everywhere tbh. a party's success more and more comes down to how charismatic their leader is

(at least it seems that way. dunno how it worked back in the days before tv and the days before radio)

also right wing parties across the globe have all noticed how effective republican tactics have been and are merrily adopting those, which bodes extremely well for the future of life on this planet

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

redleader posted:

yeah it's happening everywhere tbh. a party's success more and more comes down to how charismatic their leader is

(at least it seems that way. dunno how it worked back in the days before tv and the days before radio)

it's not

Politics has always come down to charisma and the idea it's not is stupid nerd whining about modern technology and poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redleader posted:

it's just another of the things that Labour was going to attack, per its manifesto, and more's the pity that now it's not going to happen

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's just another of the things that Labour was going to attack, per its manifesto, and more's the pity that now it's not going to happen

too bad it wasn't brexit-related and thus was invisible to the public

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

it's not

Politics has always come down to charisma and the idea it's not is stupid nerd whining about modern technology and poo poo.

boris has no charisma whatsoever but has a media empire dedicated to convincing everyone he does

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

boris has no charisma whatsoever but has a media empire convincing everyone he does

same difference, Julius ceasar wrote an book entirely about how rad he was so he wouldn't have to make speeches and poo poo and Athens kicked out one of their only good generals in the middle of a war cause of gossip and poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The BBC literally acted as Boris's editor lmao

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Agean90 posted:

it's not

thank u

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Agean90 posted:

same difference, Julius ceasar wrote an book entirely about how rad he was so he wouldn't have to make speeches and poo poo and Athens kicked out one of their only good generals in the middle of a war cause of gossip and poo poo.

If you're referring to Alcibiades it's actually because he was a poo poo general who thought invading Sicily was a good idea. (it wasn't)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they have no referential experience to even comprehend it

they didn’t get Breaking Bad in England?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pomp posted:

It still blows mind that Americanized healthcare didn't terrify your voters
i assume people told about how horrible the american healthcare system is don't believe it b/c it sounds so insane from their perspective

even americans in america who haven't had to deal w/ the healthcare system's problems [yet] don't understand it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bust Rodd posted:

Breaking Bad takes place in a hosed-up dystopia, overrun by criminals, dirty lawyers, drug addicts and smiling vultures disguised as doctors. One could be forgiven for thinking this merely a setting made up to tell a cool story.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Corbyn was systematically denied opportunities to speak about Labour's manifesto, which had worked well for him in the last election. I believe that is the number one reason they lost.

The media, the opposition and centrist forces in his own party conspired to reduce the election to a single issue election, over an issue which, at that point in time, was a foregone conclusion anyway. Brexit will happen, eventually, and it will suck for the British. I think it's simplistic to say that Brexit is all the people cared about anyway, seeing as they were given little choice in the matter. Had Corbyn been allowed run a campaign based on actual politics, on class, values and policies, then the result would have been very different, I believe.

The charges of antisemitism were just one more smear in a number of outlandish claims Corbyns enemies and the media had tried to brand him with, and while I would hardly say that this one stuck in the sense that people actually believed it, it did serve to distract from his message and allow the media to cover Corbyn, but not his politics.

Was it a personal failing for Corbyn to "dither" on Brexit? I don't know; I believed in his early strategy of keeping out of it and letting the Tories be the party that tore themselves up over it. Why touch the poop before it's actually your responsibility? Ultimately, the traitors in his own party were the ones who scuttled this position, and after much damaging back and forth forced him to a compromised second referendum position. In hindsight I would have preferred that he told the remainers to gently caress themselves, and staked out a pragmatic Brexit position based around respecting the people's vote and perhaps a healthy dash of eurosceptism. I don't believe that would have helped Labour's chances much given everything else, but it would seem like a lot of the people he were catering to would rather have him lose than the party win anyway, so why even try?

thotsky has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Jan 1, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

thotsky posted:

Corbyn was systematically denied opportunities to speak about Labour's manifesto, which had worked well for him in the last election. I believe that is the number one reason they lost.

The media, the opposition and centrist forces in his own party conspired to reduce the election to a single issue election, over an issue which, at that point in time, was a foregone conclusion anyway. Brexit will happen, eventually, and it will suck for the British. I think it's simplistic to say that Brexit is all the people cared about anyway, seeing as they were given little choice in the matter. Had Corbyn been allowed run a campaign based on actual politics, on class, values and policies, then the result would have been very different, I believe.

The charges of antisemitism were just one more smear in a number of outlandish claims Corbyns enemies and the media had tried to brand him with, and while I would hardly say that this one stuck in the sense that people actually believed it, it did serve to distract from his message and allow the media to cover Corbyn, but not his politics.

Was it a personal failing for Corbyn to "dither" on Brexit? I don't know; I believed in his early strategy of keeping out of it and letting the Tories be the party that tore themselves up over it. Why touch the poop before it's actually your responsibility? Ultimately, the traitors in his own party were the ones who scuttled this position, and after much damaging back and forth forced him to a compromised second referendum position. In hindsight I would have preferred that he told the remainers to gently caress themselves, and staked out a pragmatic Brexit position based around respecting the people's vote and perhaps a healthy dash of eurosceptism. I don't believe that would have helped Labour's chances much given everything else, but it would seem like a lot of the people he were catering to would rather have him lose than the party win anyway, so why even try?

The main thing Corbyn really should have done with hindsight is open the selection for MP seats. Trying to keep the PLP on board failed miserably.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
it just kind of reminds me of how it was actually the Democratic National Committee completely Ratfucked Bernie in 2016 and effectively splintered the leftist vote so badly that Hilary was in serious danger of losing what should have been the easiest election in American History (because she want a great candidate who didn’t campaign properly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The BBC literally acted as Boris's editor lmao

Would be hilarious if Boris "reforms" / sells off the whole BBC to return the favor?

etalian has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jan 1, 2020

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

Would be hilarious if Boris "reforms" / sells off the whole BBC to return the favor.

this would be excellent to all the people who decision it was to give johnson a smooth sail into no10

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

this would be excellent to all the people who decision it was to give johnson a smooth sail into no10

Boris reform would be the privatize the BBC by selling it to Rupert Murdoch.

Maybe spice it up post-reform like adding some Page 6 girls to the boring website.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bust Rodd posted:

They do, but Walter's severely inbred and they smoke meth in public.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the bbc have forfeited decent, respectful treatment.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

it just kind of reminds me of how it was actually the Democratic National Committee completely Ratfucked Bernie in 2016 and effectively splintered the leftist vote so badly that Hilary was in serious danger of losing what should have been the easiest election in American History (because she want a great candidate who didn’t campaign properly.

Bernie voters showed up and voted for hillary in large

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah bernie -> hillary voters was a larger share than hillary -> obama voters and she still lost lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Bernie voters are more reliable dem voters than centrists

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways Corbyn should have smashed that purge button

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

It was the most maddening thing about him

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nonsense posted:

It was the most maddening thing about him

Like I think honestly doing that and maybe going to soft lexit with maybe a promise of fair trade deals would have probably stopped alot of the bleeding. Although I still think they would have lost just not as badly

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

whoever the future labour leader is will most definitely deselect any who oppose him/her for even the most minor infraction and it'll probably all be lefties

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
With perfect hindsight, Corbyn should have stepped down after the Brexit referendum, or failing that, after he lost the election against Theresa May. Him insisting on having a third chance meant Labour and Britain going into the abyss it has.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hakimashou posted:

With perfect hindsight, Corbyn should have stepped down after the Brexit referendum, or failing that, after he lost the election against Theresa May. Him insisting on having a third chance meant Labour and Britain going into the abyss it has.

this is an impossibly bad take

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of all the idiot lib talking points about corbyn, the absurd attempt to spin 2017 as a retroactive loss is probably the most annoying. it certainly was not perceived as such by anyone at the time, and the party made an important advance that nobody thought at all possible.

it is simply transparent bad faith and another indication that for liberals, rationality is a very relative concept

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lawman 0 posted:

So how badly is boris gonna screw voting rights?

Eh, one way in which Johnson's similar to Trump is that he just wanted to be leader: he didn't come into office with any particular plan of stuff to do and he doesn't really care about anything much, except for how it reflects on him. If Johnson was left to himself he'd just bumble along for 5 years, making speeches, doing publicity stunts and changing very little. There are genuine ideologues in the Cabinet, so it becomes a question of how far they'll be able to influence Johnson to buy into their right-wing projects.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reminder that the most charismatic electable alternative leader the Labour centre and right could find when they were all unified against Corbyn was Owen Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lawman 0 posted:

:agreed:

I always respected Corbyn for his high-mindedness but it's clear now just how far that gets you when every other political and media actor is acting with transparent cynicism. Going forwards, the Labour party has to fight much, much dirtier if it's going to make any headway.