Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I, Butthole posted:

Managed to convince my fiancee to watch Polyester with me. She almost threw up at number 2 on the Odorama card. It was great.

The Odorama card is the best thing Criterion has ever included in one of their sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anna Karina has passed away.

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2019/12/15/icone-de-la-nouvelle-vague-l-actrice-anna-karina-est-morte_6022930_3382.html

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

March releases:

Salesman (Blu)
The Cranes are Flying (Blu/DVD)
Bamboozled
Leave Her to Heaven
The Prince of Tides
Show Boat (1936)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nice. Bamboozled might not be for everyone but it desperately needed restoration.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

March releases:

The Cranes are Flying (Blu/DVD)

FINALLY

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was Bamboozled an early digital video film? I may be confusing it with something else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can finally buy a movie starting Empress Brosephine's grandfather.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was Bamboozled an early digital video film? I may be confusing it with something else.

Yes, and the DVD I watched looked it it was filmed using a security camera.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Bamboozled was shot on an early as hell miniDV camera that is now primarily known as the holy grail camera for skateboard videographers and not much else. I think some early Dogme films were shot on it. That footage will never look great.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Origami Dali posted:

Bamboozled was shot on an early as hell miniDV camera that is now primarily known as the holy grail camera for skateboard videographers and not much else. I think some early Dogme films were shot on it. That footage will never look great.

Portions of it were shot on Super 16mm, so that stuff will look better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can finally buy a movie starting Empress Brosephine's grandfather.

Yeah this is crazy. I was waiting for it to one day come out :)

Will I ever see my grandfather in glorious 4k though?!?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

history of blackface montage in bamboozled still hits like a truck

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

history of blackface montage in bamboozled still hits like a truck

It’s a hell of a sequence, enough of one that Spike did the same thing with the “we haven’t fixed a loving thing” montage in Black kKklansman, which hits just as hard.

I feel like the last hopeful thing Spike has put in a movie is Monty’s alternate future in 25th Hour. Probably because it’s not reflecting reality.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1209647188260872193?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad refuses to watch anything other than bottom of the barrel film noir or Dakota Johnson movies. I’m not sure I’d want to see that playlist.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My dad refuses to watch anything other than bottom of the barrel film noir or Dakota Johnson movies. I’m not sure I’d want to see that playlist.
My dad was like that until Germany Year Zero of all movies turned him onto occasionally watching foreign stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Criterion Channel needs a way of marking poo poo you've already watched goddamnit.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Raxivace posted:

My dad was like that until Germany Year Zero of all movies turned him onto occasionally watching foreign stuff.

drat your dad is hardcore

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Cameo posted:

It’s a hell of a sequence, enough of one that Spike did the same thing with the “we haven’t fixed a loving thing” montage in Black kKklansman, which hits just as hard.

I feel like the last hopeful thing Spike has put in a movie is Monty’s alternate future in 25th Hour. Probably because it’s not reflecting reality.

I can never watch Blackkklansman again because that ending just hit like a truck. Honestly, you could have turned off oxygen in the movie theater, and I don't think it would have made a difference. Everyone was breathless and silent.

It was an experience I'm glad I had, but it was hell to go through, and watching it at home, you won't get that communal feeling of "oh poo poo" that permeated the air.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Got the Showa Godzilla set for Christmas, holy cow this thing is gorgeous. Super excited to dig in, I’ve only seen 2-3 of these before

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From looking online, seems like Godzilla Showa is a big Christmas item this year.

By the way, I'm slowly making my way through the set. Rewatched OG Godzilla with David Kalat's commentary, then Godzilla Raids Again and the US King Kong vs. Godzilla. I'm wondering if these aren't quite for me other than the original, but online reviews seem to indicate those two being weaker entries compared to some of the later ones.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The US King Kong vs Godzilla loses a lot of the characterization and the reediting of the scenes with the Americans makes the movie feel nonsensical.

Watch the Japanese version.

Mothra vs Godzilla is really good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

The US King Kong vs Godzilla loses a lot of the characterization and the reediting of the scenes with the Americans makes the movie feel nonsensical.

Watch the Japanese version.

Mothra vs Godzilla is really good.

That's what I thought.

I wanted to wait for the Japanese version for when I can watch it at home since Criterion included the original Japanese 4-track stereo mix and from watching a few minutes, it's pretty drat impressive-sounding. The bits with the goofy scientist almost leaning on the dynamite plunger were funny, though.

My goal is to get through most of the set in the next few days, plus watch the miniseries cut of Fanny & Alexander.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January Criterion Channel looking amazing...

70s Sci-Fi including...
A Clockwork Orange
Logan's Run
Mad Max
Dark Star
Demon Seed
Rollerball
The Omega Man
Soylent Green
ZPG
The Terminal Man
THX 1138
A Boy and His Dog
plus others

Luis Bunuel spotlight:
L'age d'or
Death in the Garden
The Milky Way
Tristiana
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
That Obscure Object of Desire
(plus the stuff they've had up for a while like The Exterminating Angel, Simon the Desert, Diary of a Chambermaid, etc)

Burt Lancaster spotlight:
I Walk Alone
Separate Tables
Local Hero
The Rainmaker
The Train
Elmer Gantry
Atlantic City
Birdman of Alcatraz
From Here to Eternity
Sweet Smell of Success
(and a bunch of others)

Danny Kaye spotlight:
The Court Jester
Wonder Man
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Hans Christian Andersen
The Kid from Brooklyn
A Song is Born

Paul Schrader spotlight:
Taxi Driver
Hardcore
Auto Focus

Susan Siedelman spotlight:
Desparately Seeking Susan
Cookie
She-Devil

Jane Campion spotlight:
In the Cut
The Piano
Portrait of a Lady
Two Friends

And a few other odds and ends:
https://letterboxd.com/chrissweet1967/list/all-the-films-coming-to-the-criterion-channel/

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm guessing it's futile to hope for the version of THX without the cgi monkeys.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

From looking online, seems like Godzilla Showa is a big Christmas item this year.

By the way, I'm slowly making my way through the set. Rewatched OG Godzilla with David Kalat's commentary, then Godzilla Raids Again and the US King Kong vs. Godzilla. I'm wondering if these aren't quite for me other than the original, but online reviews seem to indicate those two being weaker entries compared to some of the later ones.

In addition to what everyone else has said, Godzilla Raids Again was made in a hurry to capitalize on the success of the original. They hadn't quite nailed down the formula yet.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Origami Dali posted:

I'm guessing it's futile to hope for the version of THX without the cgi monkeys.

Yeah not in a million years. And with how apparently iron clad that part of the Disney contract was for Star Wars, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lucas has it written in his will that the original versions of his movies cannot be released after his death.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Probably a better chance than Star Wars since Warner Bros. owns the film entirely, but I don't know how much demand there would be and to be honest, I think the director's cut is a better film overall.

The big title I'm excited about is The Court Jester since Paramount has had a 4K restoration on the shelf for a few years, but hasn't had a physical release yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For Canadian goons, Criterion's Canadian distributor Unobstructed View has a sale with 200 titles for $20 CDN each:
https://www.unobstructedview.com/product-category/200for20/?fbclid=IwAR0mGaGrNRELFv0UWKXK2Zo7ZfyqwsO6xRWrInTKNEOLIfZ7aPpO-UecLSc

Shipping is free on orders of $100 or more.

While the majority of these are obviously single-film/single-disc releases, the following box sets/collections are included:

The Marseille Trilogy
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
The Complete Monterey Pop (remastered)

and these slightly more expensive 2-disc releases, as well:

The Tree of Life
Heaven's Gate
The Night of the Hunter
Eight Hours Don't Make a Day
Scenes from a Marriage
True Stories (Blu + CD)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I got Fire Walk With Me for Christmas and I am happy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I got Fire Walk With Me for Christmas and I am happy.

The best Lynch film.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1210304215454830592

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Come and See goes right into the same category as Cries and Whispers. Important films that should be seen by all and preserved for future generations.......and I have zero desire to own them whatsoever.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Come and See goes right into the same category as Cries and Whispers. Important films that should be seen by all and preserved for future generations.......and I have zero desire to own them whatsoever.

Conversely, I rarely buy physical media but Come and See would definitely be on my short list.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Over the past two nights, I watched War and Peace. It truly is a fantastic film. There are a few parts that drag (part 2 gets a little ponderous at times and part 4 drags towards the end), but given that it's 7 hours long, I think that's only a little fair.

It's definitely a film worth seeing, if for nothing but the spectacle.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Box sets for Fellini, Wong Kar-Wai, Agnes Varda, and Bruce Lee (Bruised Lee)

Also, if you have The Criterion Channel, the 4K restoration of The Court Jester is making its worldwide premiere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WONG BOX WHEN

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Box sets for Fellini, Wong Kar-Wai, Agnes Varda, and Bruce Lee (Bruised Lee)

Also, if you have The Criterion Channel, the 4K restoration of The Court Jester is making its worldwide premiere.

Hot drat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wonder what the Bruce Lee box would include? Shout just did decent releases for The Big Boss and The Chinese Connection not that long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder what the Bruce Lee box would include? Shout just did decent releases for The Big Boss and The Chinese Connection not that long ago.

Green hornet hopefully