Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol no. The Quest is currently sold out on several online retailers in the US due to demand, and I can't even begin to fathom where you pulled "PSVR is dead" from.

The PSVR has sold, at this point, somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million units. It’s so far from dead, I have no idea where they’re getting that from. Hell, the quest is back ordered through February. VR is actually doing really well this time around compared to the last few bubbles.

I was surprised at how much I like VR- I bought a 2DS because the 3DS’s 3D gave me a headache, but I don’t have any issues with my Rift S/PSVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm afraid he's got VR disease. Worst case I've ever seen. We'll do our best to treat him but chances are it's terminal.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just now realising that Trauma Center needs to come back in VR

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Help Im Alive posted:

Just now realising that Trauma Center needs to come back in VR

It’s a shame that Nintendo’s hardware is usually comparatively underpowered, because VR with decent motion tracking basically delivers on the promise of the Wii, and I think Nintendo could make some really cool VR stuff but there’s no way they could get it to work well on anything they’d make in the next 10 years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They already achieved VR on Switch via the unlimited power of Labo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stereoscopic 3D is better suited to a device like the 3DS since it requires the end user to be positioned just so, it's not something that would work on a device that you can't move or is intended to be used by multiple people, and has all of the processing overhead of needing to render two images as well. I'd love to see it come back but there are some inherent limitations on how it can be used. Plus, while I'm not sure, I'd imagine there's a limit on how big you can make a stereoscopic screen before it can't be perceived properly at a desirable distance.

Anyways, on Pokemon chat, when/does US stop with the cutscenes every 10 steps? It's my first Pokemon game in 10 years and while I'm liking the variety of mons available this is getting old.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Anyways, on Pokemon chat, when/does US stop with the cutscenes every 10 steps? It's my first Pokemon game in 10 years and while I'm liking the variety of mons available this is getting old.

So you're gonna want to sit down for this...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sword/Shield is even worse about the cutscenes, it derailed my play through completely at the four badge mark.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't think Sw/Sh was nearly as bad at it as the Sun and Moon games were.

Neither were as good as Let's Go about it. That was a great game. It just starts and lets you play.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was afraid of that. I saw some goon say it lets up after the first island a couple days ago but it hasn't. Mercifully they've been pretty short so far, but definitely not the direction I'd've gone with the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sword/Shield is even worse about the cutscenes, it derailed my play through completely at the four badge mark.

Go to Options, disable cutscenes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Long story short, so a friend of mine got Shield. I just checked their Dex and there are enough 'mons that appeal to me to Sword so we can trade even if he's over in the UK.

So new plan. Beat DQ VIII and trade that and Xenoblade Chronicles, which I could never get into (only just met the sniper girl so I know it's super early, but I prefer turn-based RPGs) and either get Sword OR get Bravely Default and Sword.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ItBreathes posted:

I was afraid of that. I saw some goon say it lets up after the first island a couple days ago but it hasn't. Mercifully they've been pretty short so far, but definitely not the direction I'd've gone with the series.

Yeah no there's a reason I much prefer X/Y.

They're still not great about that but.

(Also the island structure just doesn't work for me.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How are ORAS as compared to the originals?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really faithful and great. I'd peg ORAS as easily the best Pokemon games made for Switch.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oras is the peak of the series tbh

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
ORAS are infinitely inferior to RS because they nerfed the all-Pachirisu team hard.

But seriously speaking they're just slightly better RSE with a few annoying features creeping in from THE BAD TIMES (aka Gen5). Nothing that won't be fairly easy to ignore.

(But they actually did nerf Pachirisu hard and that's my favorite dumb gimmick build ever.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Actually just meant with regards to cutscenes. From the responses I'm guessing no, but I was worried they'd added a bunch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

More gens should aspire to be like Gen 5.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's new postgame stuff with massive cutsceneitis and a few of the big story moments had a lot added but nothing as bad as SM.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just started Bravely Default and I love everything about this after the first hour. It is charming and hitting a lot of good notes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

More gens should aspire to be like Gen 5.

Bold to tell them to make everything more like the worst gen.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I just started Bravely Default and I love everything about this after the first hour. It is charming and hitting a lot of good notes
Very good post! I hope you continue to enjoy it, it's an all time great. Mrgrgr.

Zore posted:

Bad post. Black 2 / White 2 are still the best Pokemon games in terms of quality and sheer amount of content.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shadow225 posted:

Bravely Default is a good game, although the back half drags a bit. I still need to go beat Second though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How dare this rpg have a story

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...the sole cutscene that lasts less than a minute? :confused:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...the sole cutscene that lasts less than a minute? :confused:

There's definitely more than one. All the story dialogues are pretty cutscene-y and it feels like it makes them take way longer than they should. I'd rather just have it give me the dialogue and be done with it.

Amppelix posted:

How dare this rpg have a story

Sword/shield has the weakest story of the series since like, Red/Blue. For pokemon that's pretty bad, considering story has never really been a strong point but it feels really halfassed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just did that bit; It's all of what was that noise? Oh it's Bede being a smug fuckup and breaking an crappy drawing on a wall.

*Steamroll Bede's pokemon*

Bede gets called out for being a colossal fuckup,
and then you go to the next town as normal. This isn't stalling for time here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not only is Sw/Sh's story super half-assed, even when it comes to Game Freak, but you, the player character, barely participate in it at all. The plot is happening offscreen and every NPC sure seems to be doing more than you are. And when you arrive on the scene, dang, here's your special cutscene of loving nothing just to waste your time. Here's some more Team Yell too while you are at it. And then that ending, that nonsense ending, "my whole ploy was to get Leon to beat the big evil, oh, I guess he's busy now, well, can't wait, let's do this"

Contrast that with the previous games where you, the 10 year old, had to do everything and the plot wouldn't move on without you. Both extremes are goddamn dumb, but at least when you are the catalyst, it's more engaging than whatever the hell Sw/Sh was trying to do. Perhaps, it wouldn't have been this bad if they hadn't already tried most of those ideas in US/UM while doing a better job on the latter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only good part of sword and shield's story is that you have no personal investment in anything as you crush your best friend's dreams.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zore posted:

:wrong:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m really trying hard to not just buy another copy of HeartGold for my 2DS, I’m pretty sure the series peaked there.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I am really enjoying Mario & Luigi Dream Team. It's a lot of fun and maybe I'm just broke brained, but for all the issues with the constant tutorials that others mention, I don't really notice them. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of are the bros moves that require moving the system, but I quickly dealt with them and even S-ranked some of the skillathon and dream moves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I am really enjoying Mario & Luigi Dream Team. It's a lot of fun and maybe I'm just broke brained, but for all the issues with the constant tutorials that others mention, I don't really notice them. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of are the bros moves that require moving the system, but I quickly dealt with them and even S-ranked some of the skillathon and dream moves.

It’s one of my favorites in the series. Some of the bosses are spectacular.

It really feels like a celebration of the series with all the various characters from the previous 3 games hanging out on vacation.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cool to see Shovel Knight updated to its final form on the 3DS. Considering the built-in Amiibo support, it's one of the most capable and visually enhanced versions of Shovel Knight, except for lacking Showdown. Great to see King of Cards in 3D

STEM Manifesto
Sep 10, 2013
are there any cases/protectors that are considered standout?

I've managed to avoid any major dings on my zelda themed 3ds so far, but the ol' goon grease from my hands has started to rub the finish off along the edges so I figured I'd finally get around to buying one before finishing off the three(!) shovel knight campaigns that I totally forgot I had waiting for me

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spellman posted:

Cool to see Shovel Knight updated to its final form on the 3DS. Considering the built-in Amiibo support, it's one of the most capable and visually enhanced versions of Shovel Knight, except for lacking Showdown. Great to see King of Cards in 3D
Aw, 3DS doesn't get Showdown? Nuts. I wanted to try that. Does it have a story or anything or is it just the fighting?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Showdown is fine but I kinda wish they would have tuned the Plague Knight campaign a bit before they finalized Treasure Trove so the levels flowed better

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aw, 3DS doesn't get Showdown? Nuts. I wanted to try that. Does it have a story or anything or is it just the fighting?

I don't know too much about Showdown, other than it looks like they put a lot of work into it. I doubt I could ever get someone to be my P2 for a Not-Smash Bros in the first place, so it snow big deal

But it gets a shiny new app icon 🤯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bravely Default is tropey but continues to be a delight. How do I add friends? I have a si gle friend on my list who has the game, but the invite friends option from the main menu doesn't do anything.

Also give me your friend codes.