Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Did you know Star Wars is the only film ever to be edited after filming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
It's the year 2020 and dorks are still mad at George Lucas.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

General Dog posted:

How many adult Jedi did Darth Vader actually kill in his career? We see him kill, generously, 1.5 adult Jedi in episodes 1-6 (and one of those was by forfeit). In Revenge of the Sith we see most of the Masters killed in Order 66, and then in Rebels and the video games we see that he's delegated a lot of work to these "Inquisitor" jamokes.

He does kill a lot in between RotS and ANH. The comics make him even more of a terrifying force then he is depicted in the movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that Coppola saw an early cut of ANH and his only note was to add the title crawl to explain the backstory.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ruddiger posted:

I like that Coppola saw an early cut of ANH and his only note was to add the title crawl to explain the backstory.

There was always a title crawl, it's just it was originally like 10 paragraphs lol. Brian De Palma helped George edit it down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

There was always a title crawl, it's just it was originally like 10 paragraphs lol. Brian De Palma helped George edit it down.

I think it was the DePalma documentary where they talk about Coppola being the one to tell George to add the title crawl. I’m assuming this is also the rough cut that still had the WWII fighter footage temped in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

Is that why it's so slow and takes forever to finally fade away and pan down to the movie?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Everybody except Spielberg made fun of that assembly cut and Marcia in tears asked them to help their friend out. :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I think it was the DePalma documentary where they talk about Coppola being the one to tell George to add the title crawl. I’m assuming this is also the rough cut that still had the WWII fighter footage temped in.

Never saw that documentary. I just read an interview where Spielberg said it was De Palma who actually gave the George the idea to include a prologue crawl which is new to me, though, it also says George has a different story about the origin of the crawl, lmao. https://toofab.com/2017/10/09/steven-spielberg-documentary-star-wars-opening-crawl-prologue-origin-george-lucas-brian-de-palma/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Never saw that documentary. I just read an interview where Spielberg said it was De Palma who actually gave the George the idea to include a prologue crawl which is new to me, though, it also says George has a different story about the origin of the crawl, lmao. https://toofab.com/2017/10/09/steven-spielberg-documentary-star-wars-opening-crawl-prologue-origin-george-lucas-brian-de-palma/

drat, I think I might’ve gotten the DePalma and the Spielberg docs mixed up, this sounds like what I’m half-remembering.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I always just remembered the crawl being 10 paragraphs of nonsense and De Palma told George it was confusing af, lol.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
These are conversations these dudes had 40+ years ago probably drunk, I'd be amazed if they could remember it correctly

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

This is the video that goes into the Star Wars editing process without falling into the trap of "Marcia saved it! Lucas was always an idiot!" Although it does (rightly in my opinion) bag on him for adding the ANH Jabba scene back in that adds nothing we don't already know and an absolutely horrible CG/out-of-character tail-stepping thing.

Essentially the rough cut didn't have the basic editing flow down, which is fine because yes that's what assembly cuts usually are. Notably, we had a lot of extra scenes of Luke spliced in awkwardly with early Vader stuff, some very weak speeder footage, and a lack of some dialogue that was added in post to make up for what little information was lost during the later editing process. This also goes into De Palma flipping out after he finished watching it.

It's a cool instructional video on how an editing do even if you have relatively little interest in Star Wars.

FWIW I think people also like to carry water for the idea that George was some unproven filmmaker at this point. He got to do this because of American Graffiti, which probably 0.1% of Star Wars fans know anything about, and having a process where you can get the takes of Spielberg, De Palma, and Coppola isn't exactly the norm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What I don’t get is that THX1138 is edited well and succeeds at being a 70s film for adults. American Graffiti is pretty competent too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe George was being a bit too ambitious with his ideas, riding off the high of THX and American Graffiti? And then he got overwhelmed as a result? Seems plausible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Lucas did have problems with the original editor for Star Wars, so Hirsch, Chew, and Marcia Lucas were brought in as replacements.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sodomy Hussein posted:

FWIW I think people also like to carry water for the idea that George was some unproven filmmaker at this point. He got to do this because of American Graffiti, which probably 0.1% of Star Wars fans know anything about

Besides fans’ ignorance of American Graffiti and THX 1138, the ‘editing myth’ is also dependent on the notion that the prequels are badly edited, when they simply aren’t.

On top of this, the Disney films have something close to objectively bad editing, and fans don’t care.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think TLJ is the only Disney SW film that George openly commented on in positive light, saying it was beautifully made.

[edit] He hasn't publicly spoke about TROS yet... but he did skip the premiere, so lol.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Lucas does not seem like a JJ fan and in that way he's all of us

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

teagone posted:

I think TLJ is the only Disney SW film that George openly commented on in positive light, saying it was beautifully made.

[edit] He hasn't publicly spoke about TROS yet... but he did skip the premiere, so lol.

rogue one's the only one that got a positive comment, actually. beautifully made is up there with TFA's 'it's what the fans want' as far as backhanded compliments go

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I forget Rogue One exists at times, because it's so forgettable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I think we just have to come to terms with the fact that there's a lot of different people who like Star Wars for a lot of different reasons, and that we're trying to make singular movies that appeal to all of those people and failing at that. One Star Wars fan likes sci-fi, one likes the Jedi/Force, one likes brainless pew pew, one likes good storytelling, one likes high-criticality avant garde films ala Cannes/Sundance, one just wants to post on Twitter about how much they cried and use dumb hashtags. The movies are currently trying to appeal to all of those fans.

The Lucas episodes had all those things. You're saying we have to realize it's just not possible to create a sci-fi film with great action and storytelling and cinematic quality et cetera, but that's what already happened between one and six times in Star Wars alone. The movies currently have no story to tell of their own, and are heavily influenced by market research and studio guidance. They are a dog that has elected to subsist on its own poop.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
In retrospect they probably should have done a loving first draft of the ST. Looking at it from this point makes it painfully obvious to me that a far more compelling story could have been told with Finn and Kylo Ren as mirrors of each other. Two abused kids raised to be soldiers in the evil empire choosing different paths.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

homullus posted:

The Lucas episodes had all those things.

quote:

good storytelling, one likes high-criticality avant garde films ala Cannes/Sundance

lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When was the last time you watched Attack of the Clones?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The big problem with the sequels isn't that they didn't have a plan for them, it's that they did. Disney wanted certain things out of them, and they ran roughshod over any creative vision from the films' writers and directors in pursuit of their own. People didn't like that the Episode 1 opening crawl mentioned taxes, so the sequel trilogy has zero mention of politics of any kind at any point. Kylo usurps Snoke and tries to get Rey to join him and we have to just understand that he's evil based on imagery alone because nothing about the context otherwise suggests evil. Did the writers choose to hamstring the narrative in this way? No, it's obviously a Disney mandate. Luke says lightsabers are good because a scene in a previous movie where Luke treated a lightsaber disrespectfully gave people bad tummyfeels and Disney said it had to be walked back. There were pre-release leaks that they'd tried a bunch of different endings and went with the one that tested best, and these leaks came from people who otherwise described the movie accurately. The idea that the movies should have been planned in advance is not only dumb but completely irrelevant

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

The big problem with the sequels isn't that they didn't have a plan for them, it's that they did. Disney wanted certain things out of them, and they ran roughshod over any creative vision from the films' writers and directors in pursuit of their own. People didn't like that the Episode 1 opening crawl mentioned taxes, so the sequel trilogy has zero mention of politics of any kind at any point. Kylo usurps Snoke and tries to get Rey to join him and we have to just understand that he's evil based on imagery alone because nothing about the context otherwise suggests evil.

Well that and he's still shooting down the escaping transports.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

2house2fly posted:

The big problem with the sequels isn't that they didn't have a plan for them, it's that they did. Disney wanted certain things out of them, and they ran roughshod over any creative vision from the films' writers and directors in pursuit of their own. People didn't like that the Episode 1 opening crawl mentioned taxes, so the sequel trilogy has zero mention of politics of any kind at any point. Kylo usurps Snoke and tries to get Rey to join him and we have to just understand that he's evil based on imagery alone because nothing about the context otherwise suggests evil. Did the writers choose to hamstring the narrative in this way? No, it's obviously a Disney mandate. Luke says lightsabers are good because a scene in a previous movie where Luke treated a lightsaber disrespectfully gave people bad tummyfeels and Disney said it had to be walked back. There were pre-release leaks that they'd tried a bunch of different endings and went with the one that tested best, and these leaks came from people who otherwise described the movie accurately. The idea that the movies should have been planned in advance is not only dumb but completely irrelevant

Focus testing the ending seems like not having a plan at all. Except for the marketing plans, obv.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well that and he's still shooting down the escaping transports.

The Resistance are contras.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Resistance are contras.

Killing the unarmed/helpless is a war crime.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

Killing the unarmed/helpless is a war crime.

They are not surrendering; they are performing a tactical withdrawal to a more easily-defensible fortified position, to arm themselves with more powerful weaponry and call for more forces.

Kylo does order his troops to take no prisoners later, which is an Earth war crime. But it’s also gratuitous/irrelevant because this is never announced to the Resistance, and the Resistance doesn’t ever attempt to surrender.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

teagone posted:

That may be, but the look of the thing is great. Even when the focus is clearly in one spot there's attention to the geometry that pulls you into the shot. Pulls me in, anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Strep Vote posted:

Focus testing the ending seems like not having a plan at all. Except for the marketing plans, obv.
You or I could write a script for episode 9 easily, and I don't think I'm that much smarter than JJ Abrams, nor are the millions of people out there who wrote fanfics and fan treatments for how they thought it would go. It doesn't make sense to me that he and his cowriter just plum couldn't figure out how to end the movie and solicited test audiences for suggestions. Focus testing the ending seems like having a very specific plan: a plan to make a movie which appeals to the broadest demographic possible

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Strep Vote posted:

In retrospect they probably should have done a loving first draft of the ST. Looking at it from this point makes it painfully obvious to me that a far more compelling story could have been told with Finn and Kylo Ren as mirrors of each other. Two abused kids raised to be soldiers in the evil empire choosing different paths.

One thing I have a problem with when it comes to criticism of the ST and to a lesser extent the PT is that, fundamentally, it comes down to "I wish the story were a different story." That's valid in some sense, and I'll admit to having done it myself, but that has less to do with their merits as films and more to do with what we desire to see in a created world that we like. There are more than enough aspects to criticize in any Star Wars film without drawing from that well, and it's a new issue in the field of criticism that simply doesn't apply to adaptations or single films.

As "cinematic universes" become the rule rather than the exception, it's a valid direction for criticism to go, but it's different from film criticism in general.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Note: the fact that Kylo needed to declare “no quarter“ to Hux means that such orders were not already in effect. So the Resistance could have just surrendered at any point during the space chase and ended the whole thing.

Episode 9 could have been The Trial of Leia Organa, a space legal drama.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Note: the fact that Kylo needed to declare “no quarter“ to Hux means that such orders were not already in effect. So the Resistance could have just surrendered at any point during the space chase and ended the whole thing.

Episode 9 could have been The Trial of Leia Organa, a space legal drama.

I hadn't thought of this. Snoke saying he wants to destroy "hope" in the galaxy suggests he wants his takeover to be so complete that there isn't even a possibility of a new Rebel Alliance forming, so I assumed he wanted to destroy the Resistance down to the last man. But yeah he probably would have accepted a surrender, as that would have accomplished the same thing- possibly even more so. He didn't seem to feel the same way about Luke though; upon learning that Luke was basically no threat to him he still decided he'd go kill him

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

teagone posted:

It’s the best Star Wars film since ‘83, I can understand why you forgot

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Risky Bisquick posted:

It’s the best Star Wars film since ‘83, I can understand why you forgot

rogue one is better than return of the jedi

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

They are not surrendering; they are performing a tactical withdrawal to a more easily-defensible fortified position, to arm themselves with more powerful weaponry and call for more forces.

Kylo does order his troops to take no prisoners later, which is an Earth war crime. But it’s also gratuitous/irrelevant because this is never announced to the Resistance, and the Resistance doesn’t ever attempt to surrender.

Even giving orders to brainwashed slave troops is pretty questionable. Kylo should have at least compensated them for time served and given them the option to leave before sending them down to the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ungulateman posted:

rogue one is better than return of the jedi

Maybe true, but I treat the OT as a single movie. Rogue One is the grim dark Star Wars that it should be, plot armour be damned.