Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pick is a cool and good person/poster and not a saga, I come here for 48 Pick posts not 48 posts about Pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

It totally does, Pick.

What does it mean, besides "ban the people I don't like"? Lowtax has been asking for a name of the nazis and though there's plenty of users I think are crummy I actually think SA's pretty nazi-free? But we keep getting told we're infested with nazis. I can see where the guy's tearing his hair out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

What does it mean, besides "ban the people I don't like"? Lowtax has been asking for a name of the nazis and though there's plenty of users I think are crummy I actually think SA's pretty nazi-free?

It is now, I guess (except the non-Anglophone threads where literal Nazis are absolutely free to roam). But that's a result!

e: A good result.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Burt Sexual posted:

How much helldumping do you plan on today? This thread sucks now, gg.

You have Lowtax's permission to crack down on it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

It is now, I guess (except the non-Anglophone threads where literal Nazis are absolutely free to roam). But that's a result!

e: A good result.

What makes you say that there's perfidious Foreign-Tonguers who are the real nazis? what the gently caress?? :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is it the weebs??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

What makes you say that there's perfidious Foreign-Tonguers who are the real nazis? what the gently caress?? :psyduck:

I'm Finnish.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pick posted:

He's Finnish. I can imagine Nazis in a thread about Finland.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Moon Slayer posted:

My thoughts exactly. Like the kiwifarms comment he made; I don't remember exactly what he said but I'm pretty sure he meant "we should get back to making great photoshops and articles" but a lot of people (rightly or wrongly) interpreted it as "SA should be more like the kiwifarms community." I think he has some seriously rose-tinted glasses when it comes to looking back at the heyday of the Forums.

He's not the only one. Shortly after I joined over ten years ago I had some real-life goon friends tell me "too bad you joined now, FYAD isn't funny anymore. You should have been here back in 2004 when it was actually good. I don't even think you can call yourself a goon since you joined so late."

Yeah, and given whats going on in his life right now I can certainly see why he'd have a lot of nostalgia for the so called Golden Days of SA.

But, you know, that's the great thing about this place. With all the different subs here, it can still be a comedy forum. It doesn't have to be "The Serious Place for Serious Posting"
You can still have photoshops and articles and everything else that actually made this place funny, and you can also do it without making GBS threads all over minority groups too!

There's room enough to have somewhere like D&D and GBS on here without issues. But what you can't have is these weird insular groups like FYAD that are off limits from moderation due to "history"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

He's Finnish. I can imagine Nazis in a thread about Finland.

I thought the Finns fought nazis. ahhh whatever.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

What does it mean, besides "ban the people I don't like"? Lowtax has been asking for a name of the nazis and though there's plenty of users I think are crummy I actually think SA's pretty nazi-free? But we keep getting told we're infested with nazis. I can see where the guy's tearing his hair out.

The name of the nazis was already provided. I'll provide it again. It's FYAD.

It's the FYAD community and their myriad of alt accounts for grey forums only, and/or their worshipers who functionally might as well be their alts by providing them constant support outside of fyad. That is who. Everyone has been perfectly clear about this.

Those are the specific people actively using bullying tactics commonly associated with nazis in 2019. It's FYAD's top 100 posters. There, someone pointed out to you who the nazis are, directly and explicitly, for the trillionth time.

No one is accusing anyone of being a soldier from the 1940s. The term has always meant an ideology. The awareness of the term's wider applicability to bullying tactics against the vulnerable has spread recently because people understand nazis better as they gain political power. It's no one' faults if you don't know that.

Stop pretending that no one has identified the nazis.

Ban the fyad regulars and get the abusive griefing and astroturfing campaigns off our forum. Not to mention how it would rescue the mods and admins with actual Stockholm syndrome from such proximity to a gang of abusers for so long that they felt the need to give the gang special privileges and total immunity.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Jan 2, 2020

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

so did americans :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

razorrozar posted:

so did americans :shrug:

haha. point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sure you can. It's easy to ignore FYAD. I've been doing it for years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I still have no idea what F in FYAD stands for.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's easy to ignore them when you aren't their target.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I still have no idea what F in FYAD stands for.

fart

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"They've never bothered me, why can't y'all just ignore them" isn't really great advice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've still never read it. I had it confused with BYOB, which also I still sort of do. There's weird ones out there like YOSPOS, I just think of them as little hideaways.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean I thought this was the case myself for years, but it turns out to have been a really loving bad idea given what they've been up to this whole time

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pick posted:

Finland was literally allied with Germany in World War 2

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

I've still never read it. I had it confused with BYOB, which also I still sort of do. There's weird ones out there like YOSPOS, I just think of them as little hideaways.

You can post in YOSPOS as you'd post anywhere. (At least now.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, it makes all the sense now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jerry's given me proof of legit nazis so I cede that one 100%.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Imo, Nazis should be banned.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Imo, Nazis should be banned.

Agreed. But the forums have a real question about the generic crappery of our posters, where if we were angelic beings, probably people would love us offline and we would not be posting here. it's an existential question.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Jerry's given me proof of legit nazis so I cede that one 100%.

I am glad everything meets with your approval.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think if y'all are really gonna play armchair managers it's worth asking where the money for the forums is coming from. The answer may depress you.

That's right these forums were built on a cache of Nazi gold. Were they put there by the Finns? We'll need a stout team of posters to make up an expedition.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

Agreed. But the forums have a real question about the generic crappery of our posters, where if we were angelic beings, probably people would love us offline and we would not be posting here. it's an existential question.

pick what do these words mean

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It would be nice to ban those Nazis regardless.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

y'all remember when gbs 2.0 happened

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
it sounds like the non-English threads should have IKs to me

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There is no such thing as ironic transphobia, homophobia, racism, or fascism. Anyone who just desperately needs to be allowed to use slurs in conversation is not someone that needs to be here on SA. It's that simple.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

These forums were built on a cache of Nazi gold. Were they put there by the Finns? We'll need a stout team of posters to make up an expedition.

I have a spare room and two (2!) sets of Donkey Konga bongo controllers.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

what I'm saying here is that if you remember when GBS 2.0 happened then this whole trash fire is in no way surprising

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I don't think it's really about slurs any more, those are giveaways but they're not the attitudes that are being targeted as such. There are plenty of people who might avoid slurs but have heinous opinions, a strom thurmond type, and to be honest there's been a shift--most likely--in what's common parlance irl versus SA, where (say) being a Trump voter is something I find deeply reprehensible, but probably all of us have to deal with admitted Trump voters semi-amicably irl because we work with them or have neighbors/family like that etc. Considering the relationship between that and unpalatable opinions about, say, the availability of public education...? Bannable? These parameters are not clear.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just do what that one Rainbow Six game does and have it so if you submit a post with a slur in it, it just autobans you immediately.

...though on second thoughts while it sounds like a good idea on principle, Radium Code™ would probably cause it to unfixably autoban everyone in a thread where someone posts the number four anywhere on the first page.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I think if y'all are really gonna play armchair managers it's worth asking where the money for the forums is coming from. The answer may depress you.

Take a Hike

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tollymain posted:

communism is a p cool idea and imo we should give it a solid go

genocides are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Crocoswine posted:

y'all remember when gbs 2.0 happened

i don’t like to think about gbs but yes I do