Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It doesn't matter, because there's no actual logic to it. It's purely a way to show contempt for the idea of climate change and trigger the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everyone knows that it's the fumes that cause windmill cancer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe building more windmills will help cool the planet down and stop global warming :thunk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All these media takes and no journalists yelling WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY, GOOD NIGHT at him, smh.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe building more windmills will help cool the planet down and stop global warming :thunk:

Nah we just need to bleach coal to fix it. Windmills will carry windmill fumes also known as windmillhouse gassed and kill us all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nah we just need to bleach coal to fix it. Windmills will carry windmill fumes also known as windmillhouse gassed and kill us all

Taller smokestacks to space.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HootTheOwl posted:

Taller smokestacks to space.

Why dont we just point the smokestacks into the empty oil deposits. Then we can hold the ground up with the gasses.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Supreme Court Won't Hear Case On Ban Against Homeless Sleeping In Public Spaces
npr.org/December 16, 2019
"The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal in a case originating from Boise, Idaho, that would have made it a crime to camp and sleep in public spaces."
[Stay warm Tim.]

Trump campaign launches website to help supporters 'win arguments' with 'snowflakes' during holidays
thehill.com/12/24/19
"The website, snowflakevictory.com, has different sections on topics that Trump supporters may encounter during arguments over the holidays."
[Looks like its about to start snowing.]

Wisconsin threw hundreds of thousands off the voter rolls, endangering democracy
cnn.com/December 24, 2019
"Last week, a judge appointed by a Republican governor used an extreme and malicious interpretation of a Wisconsin state voting law to throw roughly 234,000 state voters off the rolls"
[Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge! a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.]

1 Out Of Every 8 Milwaukee Registered Voters Is On Purge List
patch.com/Dec 19, 2019
"In the City of Milwaukee, there are 35,529 residents who are currently among the roughly 230,000 voters who face being kicked off Wisconsin's registered voter rolls. The 35,529 figure amounts to one out of every 8.3 registered voters in the City of Milwaukee."
" Are you on this list? If you are, here is how to check, and what you can do to update your voter information."
[Scrooge having no better answer ready on the spur of the moment, said, “Bah!” again; and followed it up with “Humbug.”]

Study Shows White Evangelicals Want Christian Supremacy, Not “Religious Freedom”
patheos.com/December 23, 2019
"For all their talk of “religious freedom,” given more power than they ever dreamed of, they’re using it to instill Christian supremacy."
[Every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!”]

Russia 'successfully tests' its unplugged internet
bbc.com/9 hours ago
"Details of what the test involved were vague but, according to the Ministry of Communications, ordinary users did not notice any changes."
[“What evidence would you have of my reality beyond that of your senses?”]

ICE reopening long-closed deportation cases against Dreamers
cnn.com/December 21, 2019
"The letter this fall from Immigrations and Customs Enforcement turned Zoila Pelayo's life on end. Stunned, she read that the agency was filing to reopen a deportation case against her that had been closed nearly eight years ago."
[Because,” said Scrooge, “a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!]

G.O.P. Lawmaker Had Visions of a Christian Alternative Government
nytimes.com/
"A Washington State legislator was accused of participating in the occupation of a federal wildlife refuge. Behind the scenes, he and right-wing activists were preparing for civil strife."
"But back in his home district, Mr. Shea also began attracting the attention of law enforcement for his growing embrace of fringe ideologies and conspiracy theories. He networked with local militia groups, talked about plans to create a 51st state called Liberty and distributed to his closest followers a “Biblical Basis for War” document that calls for the “surrender” of those who favor abortion rights, same-sex marriage, “idolatry” and communism. “If they do not yield — kill all males,” it said."
[They went, the Ghost and Scrooge, across the hall, to a door at the back of the house. It opened before them, and disclosed a long, bare, melancholy room, made barer still by lines of plain deal forms and desks. At one of these a lonely boy was reading near a feeble fire; and Scrooge sat down upon a form, and wept to see his poor forgotten self as he used to be.]

Former Youth Minister Sexually Abused Six Male Teens
instinctmagazine.com/December 24, 2019
"Alabama evangelist Paul Acton Bowen has been sentenced to 1,008 years in prison after pleading guilty to 28 counts of sexual abuse involving six male victims whose ages range from 13 to 16."

Utah boy glad the teacher who bullied him for having gay dads was fired, he tells CBS viewers
sltrib.com/4 days ago
'The Utah boy who was bullied by a substitute teacher because he was being adopted by two gay dads told a national television audience Friday morning that he “went red” and “was very mad” when it happened.
“The teacher insulted my family,” 11-year-old Daniel Van Amstel said. "She first said, ‘Why would you be happy to be adopted by them?’”'

France: Rail workers chase away the riot police inside the Paris metro
youtu.be/Dec 23, 2019

[“God bless us every one!”]

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Charles Dickens posted:

No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused.

Come in, -- come in! and know me better, man! I am the Ghost of Christmas Posting. Look upon me! You have never seen the like of me before! I must warn you that if you keep on the current path of debauchery and centrism, certain doom will follow.

It is required of every mod, that the spirit within them should walk abroad among their fellow posters and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not to shitpost in life, it is condemned to do so after death.

I know you all only read curated tweets, so let this tweet that has occurred in the past be the warning you must heed before calamity follows:

https://twitter.com/papagritty/status/1209691550013415425

E: I never said I was the ghost of Christmas autocorrect so :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Come in, -- come in! and know me better, man! I am the Ghost of Christmas Posting. Look upon me! You have never seen the like of me before! I must warn you that if you keep on the current path of debauchery and centrism, certain doom will follow.

It is required of every mod, that the spirit within them should walk abroad among their fellow posters and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not to shitpost in life, it is condemned to do so after death.

I know you all only read curated tweets, so let this tweet that has occurred in the past be the warning you must heed before calamity follows:

https://twitter.com/papagritty/status/1209691550013415425

E: I never said I was the ghost of Christmas autocorrect so :shrug:
I'm gonna stuff you in a locker

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Mexican children shiver in tents at U.S. border as temperature freezes
reuters.com/December 18, 2019
"A waiting list contains about 1,200 people, of which about 550 are staying in camps near the bridge to the United States, the Chihuahua state government said. Nearly half of those in the camps are children under the age of 12."

Stranded on Border, This Migrant Became the Camp Doctor
nytimes.com/Dec. 22, 2019
'Dr. Elisondo, 28, a native of Cuba, is the sole full-time doctor in the teeming tent city that has sprouted at the base of a bridge that connects the Mexican city of Matamoros to the United States. More than 2,500 migrants have squatted in the camp while their cases wind their way through immigration court in Brownsville, Texas.

He makes $30 a day.

“This is perfect, perfect,” Dr. Elisondo said in Spanish about the arrangement. “It’s what I know. It’s what I do best.”'

Trump's holiday menu: handouts for billionaires, hunger for the poor
theguardian.com/24 Dec 2019/opinion/Bernie Sanders and Rashida Tlaib
"Republicans defend cuts to food stamps by saying that keeping people hungry will make them work harder. But we know this is just about cruelty"

Opinion: The Law Isn’t Doing Enough to Help Transgender Homeless Americans
undark.org/12.24.2019
'In a September meeting with HUD staff, Carson remarked that he was concerned about “big, hairy men” trying to use women’s shelters. It is reported that his comments upset the HUD staff in attendance, causing one women to leave the room in protest.

Carson later doubled down on his comments in a congressional hearing, declining to apologize and saying “I think this whole concept of political correctness — you can say this, you can’t say that, you can’t repeat what someone said — is total foolishness.”'

Rudy Giuliani's anti-Soros tirade exposes three uncomfortable truths
cnn.com/2019/12/24/opinions/
" (CNN)Monday evening, as American Jews gathered to celebrate the second night of Hanukkah, news broke of Rudy Giuliani's anti-Semitic tirade against billionaire philanthropist George Soros.

The remarks, which came during an alcohol-laden interview with New York Magazine, cap off a long, alarming year for anti-Semitism both in the United States and abroad."

Retailers Announced Record Store Closures in 2019: List
nbcnewyork.com/December 22, 2019
"While some are saying 2019 will be an anomaly, and that the worst is behind the industry, others are unsure the bad news is over."

["While some are saying...."]

Finland is winning the war on fake news. What it’s learned may be crucial to Western democracy
edition.cnn.com/
"The course is part of an anti-fake news initiative launched by Finland’s government in 2014 – two years before Russia meddled in the US elections – aimed at teaching residents, students, journalists and politicians how to counter false information designed to sow division.
Jussi Toivanen teaching students how to spot fake news at Espoo Adult Education Centre.

The initiative is just one layer of a multi-pronged, cross-sector approach the country is taking to prepare citizens of all ages for the complex digital landscape of today – and tomorrow. The Nordic country, which shares an 832-mile border with Russia, is acutely aware of what’s at stake if it doesn’t."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump impeachment: Lisa Murkowski 'disturbed' over co-ordination
bbc.com/26 December 2019
'Ms Murkowski told Alaska's KTUU news channel that she was uncomfortable with Mr McConnell's comments about "total co-ordination".

"When I heard that I was disturbed," she said.'

Trump's Evil Is Rational
stoehr.substack.com/Dec 24
"Stop searching for mental illness."
"We shouldn’t see mental illness where there is plain ordinary sadism. We shouldn’t pathologize Trump’s ignorance, pettiness and greed. If we do, we don’t see what’s in front of us. Evil is rational"

[IMO, flip a coin, either way.]

Federal Toxmap Shutters, Raising the Ire of Pollution Researchers
undark.org/12.16.2019
"The loss of the federal pollution tracker, supporters say, will inhibit public access to data on environmental hazards."

Google fired an engineer who built a tool that notified employees of their labor rights. She's the 5th employee this month to accuse the company of illegal retaliation.
businessinsider.com/Dec 17, 2019

Army officer returns home to San Diego to say goodbye to mother before deportation
sandiegouniontribune.com/Dec. 22, 2019
"His mother, Rocio Rebollar Gomez, is praying for a miracle before her scheduled deportation date of January 2."

Restaurant hit with death threats vows to continue drag events
washingtonblade.com/December 23, 2019
"The manager of the D.C. restaurant Taqueria del Barrio said the LGBT-friendly establishment, which hosts a monthly drag brunch and a weekly drag trivia night, will continue to hold those events despite a barrage of threatening phone calls the restaurant received earlier this month."

How to Turn Anger and Fear Into Political Power
nytimes.com/opinion/Dec. 21, 2019
"First there were seven. Then 50. Then thousands of people, mostly Latino and many undocumented, who held a vigil on the lawn outside of the Arizona State Capitol in the spring of 2010, praying that Gov. Jan Brewer would not sign an anti-immigrant bill, the most punitive in generations, which had sailed through the Republican-controlled Legislature.

A dozen undocumented women, the “vigil ladies,” set up tents and a four-foot-high statue of the Virgin Mary, borrowed from a church. Students walked out of their classrooms and marched for miles to the Capitol. Abuelas put out traditional Mexican food: pozole, tamales, frijoles. At night, around 50 people slept on the lawn. In the morning, they pulled grass out of their hair, clasped hands and prayed.

The two of us were part of these protests, and we had good reason to be angry — and afraid. One night, Ku Klux Klan hoods were placed near where people prayed. Anti-immigrant groups patrolled close by. Such menaces had long found a haven under Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who ordered his deputies to target Latinos in traffic stops, workplace raids and neighborhood sweeps. Some were later deported."

Hong Kong Braces for More Disruption After Christmas Protests
bloomberg.com/December 25, 2019
"Gatherings are scheduled on Friday at the New Town Plaza shopping mall in Shatin and over the weekend in Sheung Shui, an area near the Chinese border. Those will lead up to a major rally on Jan. 1 organized by the Civil Human Rights Front, which has helmed some of the biggest peaceful protests since the demonstrations against China’s tightening grip over Hong Kong began in June. The organizer is still waiting for a police permit."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Don Imus, Radio Host Who Pushed Boundaries, Dies at 79
nytimes.com/Dec. 27, 2019
"On the air, he was an irascible, confrontational growler who led pranks and parodies that could be tasteless, obscene and sometimes racist, sexist or homophobic."

Boeing’s Message Is Clear: We Will Pay An Ex-CEO As Much As $60 Million But Fight Loyal Workers Organizing For Better Pay
labor411.org/December 26, 2019
"Boeing has an ugly history of union-busting in South Carolina, working feverishly to squash organizing activity by employees trying to earn a fair wage.

But the company seems to have little problem with setting up a compensation package that could net a fired CEO as much as $60 million."
“Boeing’s ousted CEO Dennis Muilenburg left behind a long list of problems at Boeing, but he’s walking away with a sizable golden parachute.
The exact amount of money that he will leave with isn’t yet clear. That will depend on his negotiations with Boeing (BA), including how the company labels his departure — for example, was it a retirement? A resignation? A layoff?"

[Background]:
‘My life has no meaning.’ Man whose family was killed in 737 Max crash slams Boeing
cnbc.com/Jul 17 2019
"Paul Njoroge’s wife, three young children and mother-in-law were killed on Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 in March."

Nearly 500 million animals killed in Australian bushfires, experts fear
standard.co.uk/10 hours ago
"Around 480 million animals are feared to have died in the bushfires sweeping Australia, including nearly a third of the koalas in New South Wales's main habitat."

The worship of billionaires has become our shittiest religion
theoutline.com/Nov—05—2019
"One billion dollars is a huge amount of money. Indeed: One billion dollars is such a huge amount of money, that there has recently emerged a whole sub-genre of images specifically designed to help us get our heads around how huge it is. If you, for instance, had earned a million a year, every year since the Battle of Hastings (that’s 1066, for non-Brits), and not spent any of it, you still wouldn’t (interest notwithstanding) be a billionaire. If you earned an annual salary of $43,000, you might eventually become a billionaire (again, not accounting for expenses or accumulated interest) — if you waited over 23,000 years."

Survey: Germans say Trump is more dangerous than Putin, Kim or Xi
axios.com/Dec 26, 2019

More anti-Semitic incidents reported in NYC
abc7ny.com/Updated 2 hours ago
'"Since December 13 we've noticed eight hate crimes that are alarming to us. We are investigating them thoroughly with our hate crimes task force," Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison said. "We treat them very seriously and we make sure that our investigators do their best to do what we can to bring the individuals to justice."'

New York To Increase Police Presence After Anti-Semitic Attacks
npr.org/December 27, 20191:20 PM ET

New York To Become The Third State To Ban Pet Stores From Selling Puppies
pawp.com/2 min

Americans are retiring to Vietnam, for cheap healthcare and a decent standard of living
latimes.com/Dec. 25, 2019
"More than 58,000 U.S. service members died in the war, and since it ended in 1975, innumerable American veterans have returned to Vietnam, seeking understanding, forgiveness or reconciliation. Now some are coming for more mundane reasons: inexpensive housing, cheap healthcare and a rising standard of living. "

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump shares claim he is 'heaven sent' and suggests Obama 'kicked Jesus out' of US
independent.co.uk/14 hours ago
[Twit.]

The patriotic move is for Trump to resign
cnn.com/December 26, 2019
'"F. Michael Higginbotham is a constitutional law professor and author who teaches at the University of Baltimore School of Law, and a candidate to fill the late Elijah Cummings' seat representing Maryland's 7th District in the House. The views expressed in this commentary are those of the author. View more opinion on CNN."'
"On August 8, 1974, Richard Nixon resigned the presidency, becoming the first president in American history to withdraw from office. The House had begun impeachment proceedings because of his involvement in the Watergate burglary cover-up, a group of Republican senators had told him he likely had too few supporters to beat conviction in the Senate, and Nixon relented to pressure from the public and Congress."

The Northwest turns up the heat on ICE, making it harder to arrest and deport immigrants
latimes.com/Dec. 27, 2019
"Much of the focus on President Trump’s immigration crackdown has been at the U.S.-Mexico border, which has seen a surge of Central American asylum seekers hoping to cross into the United States. But more than 1,000 miles to the north, ICE finds itself bedeviled by activists, attorneys and politicians in the Pacific Northwest who are determined to gum up the machinery of immigration enforcement."

L.A. rent rose 65% over the last decade, study shows
latimes.com/Dec. 27, 2019

AOC for president? The buzz has begun
politico.com/12/27/2019
"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was campaigning for Bernie Sanders at a jampacked beach-side rally last week when she took a moment to look beyond 2020.

“I know, and we all know, that this isn’t just about Bernie Sanders,” she said. “This is about a movement that has been decades in the making.”

Meet the Black Woman Who Is the Brains Behind the Green New Deal
theroot.com/12/18/19
"Rhiana Gunn-Wright is constantly figuring out how best to engage black people on environmental justice and crafting policy that empowers them against under-investment and structural racism. As she sees it, environmental justice is central to black liberation. But, as Gunn-Wright explained to me, issues like climate change aren’t explained to people in ways that relate to their experience."
'“Michigan, like most of the country, is facing higher, heavier rainstorms. So you probably need a new stormwater drainage system,” she told me. “It needs to be prepared, adapted for heavier rains. How will you have enough money with the tax base that you have right now? You won’t, and Detroit’s not a hot spot for climate change. So imagine that happening to a city in Florida when there’s sea-level rise; when you might need to build a sea wall; when you’ll need new stormwater drainage systems because you have hurricanes more often. You might need to be upgrading, solidifying homes for these new instances, for these new dangers. Who’s going to pay for that if you have a shrinking tax base? And that’s the difference between a Green New Deal future and a future without it. Because what people don’t recognize is that yes, the Green New Deal, it’s a comprehensive program, it won’t be free.”'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Fed study finds Trump tariffs backfired
marketwatch.com/Dec 28, 2019
'According to a Federal Reserve study released this week, President Trump’s import tariffs backfired and led to job losses and higher price, MarketWatch reports.
“President Donald Trump’s strategy to use import tariffs to protect and boost U.S. manufacturers backfired and led to job losses and higher prices, according to a Federal Reserve study released this week.

“We find that the 2018 tariffs are associated with relative reductions in manufacturing employment and relative increases in producer prices,” concluded Fed economists Aaron Flaaen and Justin Pierce, in an academic paper."'

[Your chud uncle investing in soy futures might be interested, but he surely couldn't have predicted that!]

Outrage Grows as Wave of Apparent Anti-Semitic Attacks Hits New York
slate.com/Dec 28, 2019
"The New York Police Department is increasing its presence in several Brooklyn neighborhoods as it investigates at least nine possible anti-Semitic attacks that took place in recent days. All of the suspected hate crimes took place in Brooklyn, known for being home to a large number of Jewish residents. “Anyone who terrorizes our Jewish community WILL face justice,” Mayor Bill de Blasio wrote on Twitter. “Anti-Semitism is an attack on the values of our city — and we will confront it head-on.” "

The US Hasn't Only Stopped Defending LGBTQ Rights Around The World, Now It's Part Of The Problem
buzzfeednews.com/December 28, 2019
"This was the decade when it became clear that “gay rights are human rights,” but it was also the decade when the very notion that humans have universal rights came under attack."

'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1
time.com/December 27, 2019
"In the African-American community, New Year’s Day used to be widely known as “Hiring Day” — or “Heartbreak Day,” as the African-American abolitionist journalist William Cooper Nell described it — because enslaved people spent New Year’s Eve waiting, wondering if their owners were going to rent them out to someone else, thus potentially splitting up their families. The renting out of slave labor was a relatively common practice in the antebellum South, and a profitable practice for white slave owners and hirers"

36 Powerful Images Of Women Protesters Leading From The Front Across The World
indiatimes.com/Dec 29, 2019
"Celebrating the power and courage of all the women and girls across the world who have to taken to the streets for their beliefs in gender equality, violence and democratic values.

Here are some images of such protests where women scripted the victory saga."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Obama, Trump Tie as Most Admired Man in 2019
gallup.com/December 30, 2019
"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Barack Obama and Donald Trump are tied this year as the most admired man. It is Obama's 12th time in the top spot versus the first for Trump. Michelle Obama is the most admired woman for the second year in a row."
"Results for this Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted Dec. 2-15, 2019, with a random sample of 1,025 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. For results based on the total sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95% confidence level. All reported margins of sampling error include computed design effects for weighting.

Each sample of national adults includes a minimum quota of 70% cellphone respondents and 30% landline respondents, with additional minimum quotas by time zone within region. Landline and cellular telephone numbers are selected using random-digit-dial methods."

As U.S. Jews Reel From Hanukkah Stabbing, Sanders Vows to Fight 'All Forms of Racism'
haaretz.com/Dec 30, 2019
"On Saturday an attacker stabbed five people at the home of a Hasidic rabbi while they were celebrating Hanukkah in Monsey. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said it would be prosecuted as a case of domestic terrorism.

The suspect fled the scene, but the New York City Police Department arrested him after locating his vehicle, confirmed Ramapo Police Chief Brad Weidel. Police have identified him as Grafton E. Thomas, 37, of Greenwood Lake, New York. Weidel said the suspect faces five counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary."

'We're not going to hide': Metro Detroit Jewish community vows resiliency after attack
detroitnews.com/Dec. 29, 2019
'"A terrorist can only be a terrorist if people feel terrified," said Rabbi Herschel Finman, co-founder of the neighborhood community center with its spare and graceful menorah made of branches topped by glowing bulbs. "Darkness is pushed aside by the illumination of all of us."'

Gang beats gay man to death on Christmas morning just to steal one dollar from him
lgbtqnation.com/December 30, 2019
"A 60-year-old gay Latinx man named Juan Fresnada was beaten to death in the Bronx, New York by a gang of men who are still being sought by police. While video footage captured the attack and the faces of the attackers, it also showed that no passing drivers or pedestrians stopped to help as Fresnada as he lay dying in the busy public street."

Mobile police officers appear to ridicule homeless people in viral Facebook post
al.com/Updated Today 2:13 PM
'Two Mobile Police Officers have caused outrage online after an image of them appearing to ridicule homeless people went viral over the holiday period.

The post shows the two officers holding up a so-called “quilt” of cardboard signs apparently confiscated from homeless people in the city. The accompanying text says: “Wanna wish everybody in the 4th precinct a Merry Christmas, especially our captain. Hope you enjoy our homeless quilt. Sincerely Panhandler patrol.”'

Anti-Semitic and Anti-Muslim Flyers Distributed in Dekalb County
atlantajewishtimes.timesofisrael.com/December 30, 2019
"Advocates for the Jewish and Muslim communities are alarmed at the spread of virulently offensive flyers in DeKalb County."

BREAKING: Gov. Justice approves firing of all involved in Nazi-like salute
wvva.com/December 30, 2019
'CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WVVA) - Gov. Jim Justice announced today that he has received and reviewed the official report completed by the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety related to the West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation Academy Class 18 and has approved the recommendations submitted by DMAPS Secretary Jeff Sandy.

“I have reviewed the factual information regarding this incident that was provided by Secretary Sandy, and have approved all of his recommendations,” Gov. Justice said. “I expressed my thanks to him and the entire Department for quickly getting this report done.

“As I said from the beginning, I condemn the photo of Basic Training Class 18 in the strongest possible terms. I also said that this act needed to result in real consequences – terminations and dismissals. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated on my watch in any agency of State government."'

[Background: https://wvva.com/2019/12/05/gov-justice-wants-firing-of-all-involved-in-nazi-like-salute/ ]

Onward, Christian Fascists
truthdig.com/Dec 30, 2019
"The greatest moral failing of the liberal Christian church was its refusal, justified in the name of tolerance and dialogue, to denounce the followers of the Christian right as heretics. By tolerating the intolerant it ceded religious legitimacy to an array of con artists, charlatans and demagogues and their cultish supporters...."

[If you don't click for the words, the initial graphic is worth it too.]

Can remembering past atrocities prevent future ones?
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 29, 2019
'For the better part of 70 years, Germany has been in a pitched battle to remember the lessons of its genocidal past. Across the country and in Berlin in particular, public spaces are filled with sites of memory. Yet the active project of trying to remember hasn’t stopped the rise of the far right, anti-Semitism and hate. A recent project by activist artists reminded Germans that previous efforts to remember and atone for past crimes and atrocities have not gone nearly far enough, which has helped to fuel the resurgence of fascism.

“How should a nation of former perpetrators mourn its victims?” asked historian James Young, after serving on a commission to build Berlin’s memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe. In the early postwar period, the answer had been clear — if divided.'

How a decade of disillusion gave way to people power
theguardian.com/29 Dec 2019
"From Black Lives Matter and #MeToo to school climate strikes, the power of popular movements can no longer be ignored"
"As I write, immense protests are taking place in India against the new anti-Muslim law and Hong Kong activists, who have been protesting for their own rights for months, stand in solidarity with the Uighur people being persecuted on the other side of China. The decade will end in protest. But who can look back a decade when a week in Trump time is like a century, and hardly anyone can remember the overstuffed chaos of the month before, let alone 2017, to say nothing of the remote era before he was president?"

American Airstrikes Rally Iraqis Against U.S.
nytimes.com/Dec. 30, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Otteration posted:

Anti-Semitic and Anti-Muslim Flyers Distributed in Dekalb County
atlantajewishtimes.timesofisrael.com/December 30, 2019
"Advocates for the Jewish and Muslim communities are alarmed at the spread of virulently offensive flyers in DeKalb County."

The holocost is a lie but then why are you using Nazi imagery if they didn't do it?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The 2010s: The Decade of lovely White People
medium.com/Dec 30
"For a minute there it seemed like America had come to its goddamn senses. It closed out the first decade of the new century by electing its first African-American president, while simultaneously handing him healthy, veto-proof majorities in both the House and Senate after a decade of letting The Fear drive us into the arms of a half-witted dufus by the name of George W. Bush, who seized that opportunity to fail spectacularly at virtually every conceivable measure of the public trust in return."

Maine one of 4 states where more people died than were born
wmtw.com/Dec 31, 2019
"According to the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, 12,300 babies were born in Maine in 2018, but 14,700 Mainers died."

Don Imus Died...but Anyway, What Y’all Having for Breakfast?
theroot.com/Saturday 11:00AM
"On April 4, 2007, during a discussion about the NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship on his radio show, Imus referred to the black women of the Rutgers University team as “nappy-headed hoes.” Then, later in the show, his executive producer Bernard McGuirk remarked that the two teams looked like the “jigaboos versus the wannabes.”

Ex-CEO of Boeing to Get 200x More Money in Severance Than Families of Crash Victims
nowthisnews.com/12/26/2019
"The newly ousted Boeing CEO is set to walk away with a multi-million dollar deal (totaling a combined $52+ million) — meaning he could get over 200x what families of the victims in Boeing’s deadly crashes will receive, which is less than $150,000 each."

The bushfires in Australia are so big they're generating their own weather — 'pyrocumulonimbus' thunderstorms that can start more fires
insider.com/Dec 30, 2019
"The bushfires in Australia are now so big that they are generating their own weather, in the form of giant thunderstorms that start more fires, according to the Bureau of Meteorology in Victoria."

[All hail the pyrocumulonimbus!]

Jews Under Attack Deserve Better Than Selective Outrage
theatlantic.com/December 29, 2019
"Times have changed. Over the past few weeks, Orthodox Jews in the New York area have been targeted in a series of violent attacks. Yet the reaction has been muffled, including from people—especially but not exclusively Jews—whom one would expect to be up in arms. The reaction is about what you’d expect for unpleasant graffiti-writing or anti-Semitic name-calling. It is certainly not what I would have expected in response to a wave of hate crimes, including attacks with guns and machetes, that have left people dead and in critical condition."

Sydney mayor defends New Year's fireworks despite protests
bbc.com/31 December 2019
"Sydney's Lord Mayor has defended the decision to press ahead with the city's New Year's Eve fireworks display, despite calls it should have been cancelled due to the bushfire crisis.

Speaking earlier on Tuesday, Clover Moore said the celebration would "give hope to people".

Parts of Australia have been ravaged by bushfires intensified by high temperatures and months of drought.

A number of other fireworks displays across the country were scrapped.

Critics of the Sydney display had argued that going ahead with it would send the wrong message. Organisers were urged to call it off and instead donate the money to farmers and the fire service.

But the fireworks went ahead as planned."

[All hell the Lord Mayor.]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Happy New Year! WELCOME TO THE ROARING 2020s!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgGXPCYPRWw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You fool, the 2020s don’t start until 2033 or something

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Shbobdb posted:

:toxx: Trump won't be impeached and will be re-elected :toxx:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I really didn't think Pelosi had the stones. I'm pleased to have given the taxman my :10bux:.

It's too bad I was busy that day, I had a whole banme thread idea where I modified trump's unhinged manifesto.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only your having already being banned once could somehow prevent the second half from coming true.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Otteration doing good work ITT.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

mystes posted:

If only your having already being banned once could somehow prevent the second half from coming true.

In this eternal 2016, the news cycle moves too fast
Who even remembers Trumps incel shooter manifesto anymore? Who remembers the impeachment? Which, in a way, makes us ask if it ever really happened at all?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump spent 1 of every 5 days in 2019 at a golf club
cnn.com/December 31, 2019
"On Tuesday, Trump closed out the year with a visit to his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach for the 12th time during his Florida vacation.
According to CNN's tally, he has spent at least 252 days at a Trump golf club and 333 days at a Trump property as President."

[Yay.]

NY GOP leader arrested for New Year’s Eve DWI — five days after tweeting there is ‘no excuse for driving impaired’
rawstory.com/6 hours ago
"One of the top Republicans in New York state was arrested for driving while intoxicated on New Year’s Eve."

[PTL.]

Throw it hard at your FB friends, or come at it with more. Best I could muster.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Staring Down Donald Trump, the Same Elephant in Every Room
nytimes.com/Oct. 16, 2019
"Every now and then, the internet coughs up a viral video that has the quality of found art. It may be jittery amateur iPhone footage; it may be a spontaneous moment captured by a pool photographer covering a news event. But it has the elegance and integrity and uncanny formal symmetry of something scripted.

One remarkable example is a recent video of the teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg, shot at the United Nations in New York on the morning of Sept. 23. The clip begins with Thunberg standing at the edge of a lobby crowded with onlookers and reporters. The camera is tightly focused on her face, and we watch that face transform. Thunberg’s eyes narrow and harden; her mouth twists into a skeptical scowl. Suddenly, the camera whizzes back to reveal the object of her glare.

President Trump has entered the room. He is flanked by aides and dignitaries, and his mouth is moving rapidly, as it often does. But what seizes our attention is Trump’s imposing physical presence in the foreground of the shot. We watch him move, with an imperious rhinocerine trudge, into the center of the frame, until he obscures our view of Thunberg almost altogether."

[...an imperious rhinocerine trudge....] (Want it on my gravestone).

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2019 stock market gains still leave Trump behind his predecessors
axios.com/BrownJan 1, 2020
"Trump uses the stock market's surge as a barometer of his presidency's success — one that, along with the 50-year low unemployment rate, he's sure to continue to tout as the 2020 election approaches — but the gains under him lag those under former Presidents Barack Obama, when stocks rebounded from the lows of the financial crisis, and George H.W. Bush.

Even if you count the 2016 post-election day market rally, the S&P's performance is still behind former President George H.W. Bush (measuring from election day through the end of the third year in office)."

This ‘Ponzi scheme’ surrounding development leaves most cities and towns functionally insolvent
marketwatch.com/Dec 25, 2019
"And while that new big box store, strip mall, or drive-thru restaurant may last only a couple of decades, the maintenance obligations from all that asphalt and those new sewer lines are eternal. Too often, though, we haven’t ever bothered to quantify those obligations. When you begin to do the math on our development pattern, what you find is alarming.

Most cities and towns in North America are functionally insolvent. This is not hyperbole. It comes down to a simple question: Is new development producing enough wealth to fund the long-term maintenance of its own infrastructure—let alone public safety and all the other services that we expect government to provide? When we examine these costs and revenue streams, we often find the answer is no."

The Ultra-Wealthy Who Argue That They Should Be Paying Higher Taxes
newyorker.com/December 30, 2019
'Abigail Disney remembers the moment, two decades ago, when she no longer wanted to fly on her family’s private plane. Disney is the granddaughter of Roy O. Disney, who founded the Disney company with his younger brother, Walt, in 1923, and her father was a longtime senior executive there. Abigail’s parents owned a Boeing 737, one of the largest private-aircraft models on the market, and they let her use it for family trips. For many years, when Abigail was raising her four children, she would take the plane to Ireland, to visit her mother’s castle. The plane “was like a flying playpen,” Abigail told me recently. “I’ve known the pilot since I was a teen-ager.” One day, when her children were older, she took an overnight flight from California to New York, where she lives. She was travelling alone, but there was a full staff on duty to cater to her needs. As she got into the queen-size bed and secured the safety belt that stretched across the mattress, preparing to sleep for the next few hours, an unpleasant feeling came over her. “I couldn’t help thinking about the carbon footprint of it, and all the fuel,” she said. “It just felt so wrong.”'

The Ripple Effects of Taking SNAP Benefits From One Person
theatlantic.com/December 10, 2019
'For instance, one father of four who had lost his job and was enrolled in SNAP used almost his entire $190 food-stamp budget each month to buy groceries for his children, even though they lived with their mother. He ate at several soup kitchens and went to food pantries so he would be able to buy more for his kids. As he put it to me when I interviewed him for my recently published book about SNAP, “I’ve basically been starving the past three days so my kids could have something to eat. A lot of times I eat a honey bun and some [chips] before bed and that’s it. I’m starving now so they can have something later.” (As is customary in academic research, he and my other research subjects have been kept anonymous to protect their identity.)'

Here Are the 207 Members of Congress Who Just Asked SCOTUS to Consider Overruling Roe v. Wade
jezebel.com/Today 3:35PM
'A coalition of 207 members of Congress on Thursday filed an amicus brief to the Supreme Court asking it to “reconsider” two landmark abortion cases—Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood of Se. PA v. Casey—in an apparent effort to crush reproductive rights at the federal level. The brief, which is hinged on battle over a Louisiana law that would require doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at hospitals within 30 miles, attempts to be large enough in scope it suggests a reconsideration of Roe and Casey should be, “if appropriate, overruled”:'

French ban on plastic plates, cups and cotton swabs starts Jan. 1
nydailynews.com/Jan 01, 2020

Catholic Bishops Urge Parents To Reject Transgender Children
patheos.com/December 18, 2017
"As leaders of various communities of faith throughout the United States, many of us came together in the past to affirm our commitment to marriage as the union of one man and one woman and as the foundation of society. We reiterate that natural marriage continues to be invaluable to American society.

We come together to join our voices on a more fundamental precept of our shared existence, namely, that human beings are male or female and that the socio-cultural reality of gender cannot be separated from one’s sex as male or female."
Man Who Gutted Voting Rights Act Says Americans ‘Take Democracy for Granted’
nymag.com/intelligencer/3:51 P.M.
'In this year’s missive, the Supreme Court justice treated the public to a lecture on the evils of fake news, and the vital importance of “civic education” to the maintenance of democracy. Roberts opened his sermon with the story of the Doctors Riot of 1788 — an outbreak of mob violence that was triggered by baseless “reported accounts that medical students were robbing graves so they could practice surgery on cadavers.” One of our Constitution’s framers, John Jay, was injured in the process of trying to quell the fury of the corpse-avengers. Roberts uses this bit of trivia to set up the following rueful reflection:'
Explosive new revelations just weakened Trump’s impeachment defenses
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 30, 2019
If Mitch McConnell is going to pull off his scheme to turn President Trump’s impeachment trial into a quick and painless sham with no witnesses, the Senate majority leader needs the story to be covered as a conventional Washington standoff — one that portrays both sides as maneuvering for advantage in an equivalently political manner.

But extraordinary new revelations in the New York Times about Trump’s corrupt freezing of military aid to Ukraine will — or should — make this much harder to get away with.

McConnell badly needs the media’s both-sidesing instincts to hold firm against the brute facts of the situation. If Republicans bear the brunt of media pressure to explain why they don’t want to hear from witnesses, that risks highlighting their true rationale: They adamantly fear new revelations precisely because they know Trump is guilty — and that this corrupt scheme is almost certainly much worse than we can currently surmise."

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Otteration posted:

This ‘Ponzi scheme’ surrounding development leaves most cities and towns functionally insolvent
marketwatch.com/Dec 25, 2019
"And while that new big box store, strip mall, or drive-thru restaurant may last only a couple of decades, the maintenance obligations from all that asphalt and those new sewer lines are eternal. Too often, though, we haven’t ever bothered to quantify those obligations. When you begin to do the math on our development pattern, what you find is alarming.

Most cities and towns in North America are functionally insolvent. This is not hyperbole. It comes down to a simple question: Is new development producing enough wealth to fund the long-term maintenance of its own infrastructure—let alone public safety and all the other services that we expect government to provide? When we examine these costs and revenue streams, we often find the answer is no."

:eyepop:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.strongtowns.org/ has a lot of info on the development grift. It's also a big problem in Canada, not surprisingly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So far W has been a much worse president than Trump but it looks like that is about to change in a pretty dramatic way.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Shbobdb posted:

So far W has been a much worse president than Trump but it looks like that is about to change in a pretty dramatic way.

Why? Did something happen that I missed?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

you know how the lovely Jack Ryan show has him go to venezuela, and the venezuelans blow up a US senator's motorcade while he's in the country, in an assassination so blatant the US has no choice but to treat it as an act of war

we just did that to arguably the #1 guy in the Iranian military, while he was at the Baghdad airport

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zipperelli. posted:

Having not started the Iraq and Afghanistan wars he is lagging behind W, but he just did a high level assassination of an Iranian official.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
:stare:

Welp, this'll be a fun news cycle

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The hilarious thing is that Iran actually has a real military, foreign allies, and the ability to fight back. This is going to be a far bigger and deadlier dumpster fire than Iraq was.

Wait, not hilarious... What was the other thing again?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gently caress gently caress fuckitty gently caress gently caress.

Please could we not start a war with Iran.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress gently caress fuckitty gently caress gently caress.

Please could we not start a war with Iran.

Looks like that ship has sailed, my friend.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know how the lovely Jack Ryan show has him go to venezuela, and the venezuelans blow up a US senator's motorcade while he's in the country, in an assassination so blatant the US has no choice but to treat it as an act of war

we just did that to arguably the #1 guy in the Iranian military, while he was at the Baghdad airport

And we didn't even do it in a cool, action movie set piece fashion. We used a boring old air strike.
If we're going to start wars by blatantly assassinate foreign leaders without congressional oversight we at least ought to do it with style. It would help distract us from all the teenagers we're killing by sending them over there.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Watch Trump start a gently caress-

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I know falc reads this thread so find a way to memeify this and put it on blast:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play.

They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Because we are about to see that rhetorical shift get us into war with iran. We already see it with Warren's response.