Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Things I learned today: Calendars match up every 28 years:

Also the Marvel Age comics had a calendar on the last page in '92 and January was just everyone happy Rick Jones was dead:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Kalli posted:

Things I learned today: Calendars match up every 28 years:

Also the Marvel Age comics had a calendar on the last page in '92 and January was just everyone happy Rick Jones was dead:

I.. I just really like Sandman being the number twelve there. Good on ya, Marko!

(Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Sand Trap!)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #11 (1975)

Machine Man #15 (1980)

The Sensational She-Hulk #3 (1989)

The Comet #18 (1992)

Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #3 (1995)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #21 (2017)

Catwoman / Tweety & Sylvester #1 (2018)

Harley Quinn / Gossamer #1 (2018)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Darthemed posted:

Harley Quinn / Gossamer #1 (2018)

What is happening here?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

hiddenriverninja posted:

What is happening here?
batman learns to listen to his mom

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

batman learns to listen to his mom

You'd think he'd have learned when she said, "I don't care if it's shorter, let's not take a short cut down crime alley to get back to the car."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

What is happening here?
That’s a pool floatie of the Joker’s head, caught in storm winds and teaching kids lessons.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darthemed posted:

That’s a pool floatie of the Joker’s head, caught in storm winds and teaching kids lessons.

What in the ever-loving gently caress? That's like having a Hitler pool floatie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Toshimo posted:

What in the ever-loving gently caress? That's like having a Hitler pool floatie.
It celebrates HISTORY, not JOKER CRIME.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

It's heritage, not hate. My grandpappy was a veteran in the war against Northern Batman Aggression.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
The fun thing about that is; the sort of person who would have a joker pool floatie in gotham is the the exact kind of person who would own one in real life

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's adorable you'd think businesses in the DCU would have better taste or restraint than the capitalist hellscape we live in

(Batman v3 #16)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man that's not even the funniest panel from that issue.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

It's adorable you'd think businesses in the DCU would have better taste or restraint than the capitalist hellscape we live in

It's a well that comics, especially Batman comics, have gone to a lot and it's just as hosed up every time they do it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I mean, if you go with Grant Morrison's thing where every Batman story is canon, maybe that's an old float produced back when Joker was goofy and doing boner crimes instead of being a mass murderer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This reminds me of the question I've always had about Gotham: why would you ever do anything even vaguely circus related there. Absolute best case scenario, you get no business because everyone thinks it's in awful taste. Worst case scenario, the joker, the scarecrow, mad hatter, and professor pyg all show up with a menagerie of mutants they found in the sewers and turn your crew into mutant feed and your circus into bioweapons.

And yet, people keep trying.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

This reminds me of the question I've always had about Gotham: why would you ever do anything even vaguely circus related there. Absolute best case scenario, you get no business because everyone thinks it's in awful taste. Worst case scenario, the joker, the scarecrow, mad hatter, and professor pyg all show up with a menagerie of mutants they found in the sewers and turn your crew into mutant feed and your circus into bioweapons.

I think Gotham has some sort of sorcerer or hypnotist running their tourism board, because I can think of any other reason people who aren't already trapped within city limits would go there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...where else you gonna go? Metropolis? Have fun getting flattened by falling debris from the third super powered battle this week. Central City? Have fun being murdered by an evil speedster thirty seconds before you know you’re dead. Anywhere else? Doesn’t matter, Apokolips is invading, Darkseid just zapped you for no reason, anyways.

Living in a comic book world is basically Hell.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Phylodox posted:

This is why people gamble with getting powers. Even if you're a C-list superhero/villain, the odds of you surviving -- or even coming back from the dead -- increase a thousandfold.

Nameless construction worker who got snuffed in the latest Crisis ain't even gonna be mourned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I mean...where else you gonna go? Metropolis? Have fun getting flattened by falling debris from the third super powered battle this week. Central City? Have fun being murdered by an evil speedster thirty seconds before you know you’re dead. Anywhere else? Doesn’t matter, Apokolips is invading, Darkseid just zapped you for no reason, anyways.

Move to New York City, nothing ever happens there in the DCU.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

I think Gotham has some sort of sorcerer or hypnotist running their tourism board, because I can think of any other reason people who aren't already trapped within city limits would go there.

The Joker and Gotham's tourism board share the same sentiment: If You Gotta Go, Go With a Smile!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MikeJF posted:

Move to New York City, nothing ever happens there in the DCU.

poo poo happens on coney island if harley's in town but it rarely touches other burroughs so

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lurdiak posted:

Gotham would be a ghost town full of joker smile corpses and nerve gas,with maybe a killer croc underground
And the scarecrow skulking about.
Metropolis would consist of a few rocks and a shrub after a week.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

"My father was a clown. His father was a clown. As was his father before him. I swore the Pagliacci Oath when I was sixteen, and if my art gets me murdered, I will go to Clownhalla, to my ancestors, with pride."

I would read a story about an ancient brotherhood of clowns going after the Joker for betraying their order.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Precambrian posted:

"My father was a clown. His father was a clown. As was his father before him. I swore the Pagliacci Oath when I was sixteen, and if my art gets me murdered, I will go to Clownhalla, to my ancestors, with pride."

I would read a story about an ancient brotherhood of clowns going after the Joker for betraying their order.

I forget where I read it, but along the same lines, someone proposed the Joker loving with the egg-based Clown Face Registry and the clowns being really offended that he's messing with sacred clown traditions.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is why people gamble with getting powers. Even if you're a C-list superhero/villain, the odds of you surviving -- or even coming back from the dead -- increase a thousandfold.

Nameless construction worker who got snuffed in the latest Crisis ain't even gonna be mourned.

This is what Gwenpool figured out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bobulus posted:

I forget where I read it, but along the same lines, someone proposed the Joker loving with the egg-based Clown Face Registry and the clowns being really offended that he's messing with sacred clown traditions.

You may be thinking of Pratchett's Men at Arms.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

You may be thinking of Pratchett's Men at Arms.

It's a real thing. A lot of the most absurd stuff in his works actually are pulled from real life.

And clowns are stupid serious about the integrity of their "art".

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Precambrian posted:

But unfortunately it turns out that Joker set up some patsy to drop a dime on "suspicious clown-garbed agents", so the end of the issue would be a two page splash of a Marvel Hawkeye-style sequential illustration of Batman pulling all 12 of them out of their clown car and doing grizzly and severe orthopedic damage to each in turn

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I love that Charlie Cairoll is just an off brand Charlie Chaplin.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a real thing. A lot of the most absurd stuff in his works actually are pulled from real life.

And clowns are stupid serious about the integrity of their "art".

Right, but I specifically meant the plot point of someone messing with it to criminal ends and the clowns being comically horrified by the desecration rather than the crime.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kwyndig posted:

Man that's not even the funniest panel from that issue.

Batman eating a burger with a fork and knife right? Almost as bad as eating his steak well done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Imagine living through a Crisis only to get home and discover you never existed in this new reality.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rhyno posted:

Imagine living through a Crisis only to get home and discover you never existed in this new reality.

(You're all probably aware that) There's an excellent Astro City storyline about this issue. The Nearness of You.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Right, but I specifically meant the plot point of someone messing with it to criminal ends and the clowns being comically horrified by the desecration rather than the crime.

Ah, got it. Yeah, that was definitely in Feet of Clay Men at Arms you are correct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

(You're all probably aware that) There's an excellent Astro City storyline about this issue. The Nearness of You.

Yeah, total tearjerker.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Bendis played with this a little in his post Secret Wars Jessica Jones series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Phylodox posted:

I'm reminded of an issue of Blue Beetle set after One Year Later where Jaime had to explain why he was missing for a year without revealing he was trapped in space as Blue Beetle and his explanation is just that he got hit with Weird Crisis poo poo and has no memory and everyone just buys it because that exact thing happened to a bunch of other randos.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

yeah but we don't know that, maybe that stuff all happens to randos too but we just don't see it

that's why there's so many all powerful wizards and gods all hanging about but they never interfere, they're all busy contriving all the ways random bystanders all "miraculously" come back to life.

like how all the people who returned in danger in Endgame were all saved by the magical heroes off screen (it doesn't take all of strange's concentration to create a tornado)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm reminded of an issue of Blue Beetle set after One Year Later where Jaime had to explain why he was missing for a year without revealing he was trapped in space as Blue Beetle and his explanation is just that he got hit with Weird Crisis poo poo and has no memory and everyone just buys it because that exact thing happened to a bunch of other randos.

There was a part in Spider-Man: Far From Home where Flash Thompson had a drink taken away from him because he was one of the people snapped out of existence so he's still technically underage.