Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was a cat lady that used to come into my old branch. She always smelled of cat pee and would have tons and tons of cat hair stuck all over her clothes. But she took in cats that were going to be euthanized and would find homes for them and keep them updated with their shots and stuff, so she wasn't so much crazy as super nice. But she was also crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CATLADY

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

lamo what is this thing!

It's an A with an umlaut.
A think which people who aren't english use.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

watho posted:

CATLADY

*wha-whaaaaa-wow*

She's the lady
The lady with the cat

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I Said No posted:

Just do what that one Rainbow Six game does and have it so if you submit a post with a slur in it, it just autobans you immediately.

...though on second thoughts while it sounds like a good idea on principle, Radium Code™ would probably cause it to unfixably autoban everyone in a thread where someone posts the number four anywhere on the first page.

This doesn't actually work. This never works. All you do is make it a sport of getting around it. "Nazi" then just becomes "Naxi" or "Naz!" or something. Then you ban that too and somebody comes up with something else. There's just so many possible permutations that you have to constantly play whack-a-mole to get them as they keep cropping up. That or they start using some common, totally innocent word as a slur instead. If you get really aggressive about it then it starts banning for stuff that's not problematic in any way whatsoever. That or they just start using words from some uncommon language nobody has gotten around to censoring yet. Asterisks over words that you can figure out are supposed to be naughty thanks to the context. It's an impossible job. Plus, you know, context matters. A lot.

I didn't even know that No Man's Sky had a word filter until I smashed up against it. I forget what it was but I named a plant something that was just two words mushed together. It rejected it and I was like "...what? That isn't the least bit offensive." Turns out smashing the words together put...something in the middle. I think it was "oval office." I had to read the plant name like eight times before I figured out what naughty word I had accidentally typed.

In the case of certain words let's say you had a woman who was named "Hanna Zimmerman." So she decides "oh I'll just make my name my username!" and she puts in "hannazimmerman." That has "nazi" in the middle of it. A filter that's too aggressive is going to flag that even though it's totally innocent. Just a random human typing her name in as her username.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

as lyft has so recently discovered

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1207775775853699072

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Reminds me of how during the early days of Pokemon Sun and Moon you couldn’t trade away a Cofagrigus without renaming it to something else, because f*g was in the no-no list and they forgot to make an exception.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah automating the moderation process is like the worst possible idea and should only be done as a very last resort

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pick posted:

Screw people who whine about the "catlady" days, it's always taken chutzpah to post here as a woman. Even though the very best poster* is a woman :colbert:

* it's avashalom

The catlady descriptor always felt weird to me when there's a forum a little further down the list that is for crazed cat people and it certainly didn't resemble GBS at all at the time.

mind the walrus posted:

GBS 1.0 existed largely in a pre-reddit/tumblr/facebook/twitter space where heavy moderation was necessary. There was a much bigger general userbase and general rhythm and flow where emptyquotes, derails, spam posting, and all that were legitimate concerns. GBS 2.0 was a response to management recognizing 5 years too late that the times had indeed a-changed and if they wanted to keep users they couldn't keep punishing shitposts and white noise. It was necessary, although like most things SA went about it in a bizarrely melodramatic way.

Punishing for stuff like not properly capitalizing words or emptyquoting a funny post were always dumb and I'm glad the rules around that got relaxed, but yeah it was an intense overreaction.

Zero One posted:

For me the peak GBS 1.0 was a thread about the working conditions of a northern Ohio amusement park that went on for pages and pages. I tried to bring my own personal experience working there to the thread but I got run out because I was clearly brainwashed by my corporate masters.

Was that the thread about Cedar Point? I know someone who used to work at a Six Flags and his horror stories make me wonder if amusement parks in general are just poo poo shows.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pick posted:

I have one cat and he is very nice. He's not that exciting but he sure is nice. Stout ginger man.

pics of the cat please

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i really wish they'd ban posting medium bart.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChubbyChecker posted:

pics of the cat please

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The catlady descriptor always felt weird to me when there's a forum a little further down the list that is for crazed cat people and it certainly didn't resemble GBS at all at the time.

Punishing for stuff like not properly capitalizing words or emptyquoting a funny post were always dumb and I'm glad the rules around that got relaxed, but yeah it was an intense overreaction.

Was that the thread about Cedar Point? I know someone who used to work at a Six Flags and his horror stories make me wonder if amusement parks in general are just poo poo shows.

Yeah. It was way too many hours with minimum pay (and some things that could fill the OSHA thread) but when I was there for summers as a young adult it was also a fun life experience. Like summer camp and college smashed together.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Zero One posted:

For me the peak GBS 1.0 was a thread about the working conditions of a northern Ohio amusement park that went on for pages and pages. I tried to bring my own personal experience working there to the thread but I got run out because I was clearly brainwashed by my corporate masters.

Oh god this was the cedar point threads. I forgot about those. The working conditions are legit nuts and they take in students to fill the park and town because they can't get enough employees.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I didn't even know that No Man's Sky had a word filter until I smashed up against it. I forget what it was but I named a plant something that was just two words mushed together. It rejected it and I was like "...what? That isn't the least bit offensive." Turns out smashing the words together put...something in the middle. I think it was "oval office." I had to read the plant name like eight times before I figured out what naughty word I had accidentally typed.

Back when I was in high school and some of my friends set up a (terrible) roleplaying board on some free forums service, we discovered the word filter by accident, after someone wrote a post using the phrase "cocks his head" multiple times and it got completely mangled. It took me several seconds to realize the references to a character ****ing his head weren't intended as autofellatio.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

relevant

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Even though the very best poster* is a woman :colbert:

* it's avashalom

Pick you may be crazy, but when you're right you're really right.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"load-bearing slur" really must become a subtitle at some point. Not gonna let that one go.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

"load-bearing slur" really must become a subtitle at some point. Not gonna let that one go.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Does anyone have the link to those really long gross posts someone in Games made about going to the N-Gage launch party or something? It may be some of the hands down best gross posting on these forums.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does anyone have the link to those really long gross posts someone in Games made about going to the N-Gage launch party or something? It may be some of the hands down best gross posting on these forums.

It was Kirk with the NVidia Shield or Razor, if that helps anyone dig it up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Found by googling [site:forums.somethingawful.com razer party]: HOLD ON TO YOUR loving BALLS IT'S A NEW THING FROM RAZER in the Goldmine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awesome! Thank you.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

i really wish they'd ban posting medium bart.

i vaguely remember the small bart bans but i don't think i ever found out what small bart actually was

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Awesome! Thank you.

You're welcome! I remembered it was Razer and that was enough, it turns out.

Honestly, the best part of the thread isn't (IMO) Kirk's rapid spiral into madness but the reactions of the rest of the thread to it

Just-In-Timberlake posted:

you're a mod for god's sake, DO SOMETHING

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I could've sworn MSpaint threads were banned at some point? Like i'm 95% sure that was a thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bell jar posted:

i vaguely remember the small bart bans but i don't think i ever found out what small bart actually was
it's just a very small picture of bart simpson.

the bans were really about no-content posts and it just happened that a small bart was a very effective way of communicating to the mods that you knew it was an illegal no-content post but gently caress their rules.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p93u4PV8_o

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

bell jar posted:

:regd13:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I Said No posted:

I could've sworn MSpaint threads were banned at some point? Like i'm 95% sure that was a thing.

It’s loving not, post an mspaint thread. Jfc

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s loving not, post an mspaint thread. Jfc

this feels like a honeypot

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am an old person, not a Boomer but my parents were, and my experience with SA has been entirely CD, Book Barn, TvIV, Sports threads, and like one thread in D&D about military history. At the risk of getting run out of here on a rail, I have to say that on the few occasions I opened FYAD, I didn't even know what in the gently caress it was. I literally had no idea what this was even supposed to be.

A comic word balloon that contains a three-word post, or even, worse, just "LOL" ? And you scroll down and there are thirty such posts on every page of every thread? Text that I guess is automatically, randomly inserted on every post anyone makes... what are the parts you are supposed to read?! And those insane graphics and colors all over the background of everything? It was like an epileptic's nightmare, like an Old's nightmare vision of everything that is bad about the Internets, Oh my god how did this get here I am not good with Computar

What even IS that forum? And why do people read and post there? What has ever been the point, of the whole thing? Please educate me goons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's deliberately made to be as opaque, unreadable and unpleasant as possible so the only people who read it are the ones who really really want to.

Shouldn't be surprising it's become insufferable and impossible to moderate as a result.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MrMojok posted:

I am an old person, not a Boomer but my parents were, and my experience with SA has been entirely CD, Book Barn, TvIV, Sports threads, and like one thread in D&D about military history. At the risk of getting run out of here on a rail, I have to say that on the few occasions I opened FYAD, I didn't even know what in the gently caress it was. I literally had no idea what this was even supposed to be.

A comic word balloon that contains a three-word post, or even, worse, just "LOL" ? And you scroll down and there are thirty such posts on every page of every thread? Text that I guess is automatically, randomly inserted on every post anyone makes... what are the parts you are supposed to read?! And those insane graphics and colors all over the background of everything? It was like an epileptic's nightmare, like an Old's nightmare vision of everything that is bad about the Internets, Oh my god how did this get here I am not good with Computar

What even IS that forum? And why do people read and post there? What has ever been the point, of the whole thing? Please educate me goons.

I mod gbs. If it’s bad I gas and probe maybe. Fyad is just a group doing whatever they do, now within the rules. Idgaf you shouldn’t either. Unless it’s outside lowtax rules.

Tashilicious posted:

this feels like a honeypot

Test it

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

MrMojok posted:

The one that is a mystery to me is BYOB. It's like a children's book factory whose authors are ODing on SSRIs.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

The one that is a mystery to me is BYOB. It's like a children's book factory whose authors are ODing on SSRIs.

It's generally quiet and amusing. I like it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MrMojok posted:

The absolute closest I've ever come to seeing through the bullshit was:

"Really smart (sic) people, pretending to be really stupid people, who are pretending to be smart people.."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mammal Sauce posted:

The best description I heard is that everyone's nice to each other, but ironically. Which has produced one of the few positive examples of the terminal irony poisoning that's swept the internet in the last decade.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghostlight posted:

it's just a very small picture of bart simpson.

the bans were really about no-content posts and it just happened that a small bart was a very effective way of communicating to the mods that you knew it was an illegal no-content post but gently caress their rules.

i think that the joke is homer simpson saying "why you little!"