Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think I gave the wrong vibe with that post; I didn't mean that as a mark against MHA or the characters for reacting the way they did. I probably just worded my amusement at a moment of humanity for the otherwise murderous bunch poorly.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that it wasn't. I definitely thought it was nice; it was just such a humanizing moment for a character who was introduced as "I love stabbing people to death in alleyways" that it tickled me a little.

And yeah, Lemillion is great. Kinda wonder what things would've been like had he been the MC.
Sorry for jumping down your throat, I'm just so used to people being shits about Magne on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do they talk about Tiger much? I guess to be fair you wouldn't know about Tiger without the supplementary materials.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mirio enters the series strong, makes a debatable misstep shortly after, and roars back with a vengeance in this episode. If you wondered why Nighteye saw the future in Mirio, this episode is all the proof you need. Dude rules.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Mirio enters the series strong, makes a debatable misstep shortly after, and roars back with a vengeance in this episode. If you wondered why Nighteye saw the future in Mirio, this episode is all the proof you need. Dude rules.
Yeah. Mirio's strength isn't his quirk or even his ability to train it into something incredible, it's his work ethic and drive to be a hero. The way he still holds his own even without his quirk is incredible evidence of that. It's not the bad quirk turned into something that makes Lemillion, it's just... Mirio.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the manga chapters depicting this fight were titled as follows:

- Mirio Togata
- Mirio Togata!!
- LEMILLION

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mirio's a good kid IMO

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
It turns out the real League of Villains were the friends we made along the way.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh no, the League is harnessing the power of friendship, we're doomed!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Toga correcting Chisaki misgendering Magne has both a Pure Energy and a Righteous Fury Energy which makes it a great moment

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Mirio is such a good boy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

Oh no, the League is harnessing the power of friendship, we're doomed!

I don't remember the wording exactly, but Asura in Kinnikuman put it best. Even devils can have Friendship Power.

But man, the whole scene is just so good. It's not only seeing how much Toga and Twice care about Magne and respect her identity, it's not just seeing how close they are to each other, it's also how it shows us how much Shigaraki trusts them. He never told them to betray the Hassaikai, otherwise they would've been found by the guy that makes them confess anything. He fully knew how they'd act and trusted in them without ever giving a direct order.

The League of Villains is so good.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 29, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The League of Villains' surprising affability (which translates into people skills) does make me wonder why in the world they thought they could convert Bakugo. Dude calls himself King Explosion Kill, so, I guess...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The League of Villains' surprising affability (which translates into people skills) does make me wonder why in the world they thought they could convert Bakugo. Dude calls himself King Explosion Kill, so, I guess...

That was their first real mission together before they started getting their poo poo together.

I wonder of Muscular, Moonfish, or Mustard would have been on board with team evil friendship if they had stuck around.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Due to holiday time off, the dub is now going to be a week behind the subbed version. A little frustrating, but it gives me an excuse to watch each episode twice. I generally really like the dub but Overhaul's japanese voice felt a little more appropriate for the character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

That was their first real mission together before they started getting their poo poo together.

I wonder of Muscular, Moonfish, or Mustard would have been on board with team evil friendship if they had stuck around.

If Shigaraki ended up alright with the power of friendship then I imagine the same could go for anyone.

Friendship is a subtle and powerful infection.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

bakugo's behavior during the sports festival made him extremely high-visibility and villainous, so shigaraki figured that if they could publicly recruit him to the league then it would be a deathblow to the heroes' public image

shiggy was also riding the high of being a Big Boy villain for the first time and got a little too confident in his plan

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

I generally really like the dub but Overhaul's japanese voice felt a little more appropriate for the character.
Oh, yeah, the dub is still on-loving-point, but I can see where you're coming from about Overhaul.

In contrast, I'd say that Mirio is actually a bit better in English? All Might is definitely is at least a little better in the dub, IMO.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The funi app doesn't have the dub up for this episode, is it a holiday thing? Not sure when it will pop up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

The funi app doesn't have the dub up for this episode, is it a holiday thing? Not sure when it will pop up.

Next week. It's on holiday break.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I thought I remembered this arc being way longer. Is that a consequence of anime episodes adapting a bunch of chapters at once, or am I misremembering and in the manga it was actually this breezy?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

I thought I remembered this arc being way longer. Is that a consequence of anime episodes adapting a bunch of chapters at once, or am I misremembering and in the manga it was actually this breezy?

The manga arc was plagued by Horikoshi being sick and needing breaks so it dragged on for a really long time

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The Kirishima and Fatgum bit in particular had a lot of single-digit paged chapters interspersed with missed weeks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skypie posted:

The manga arc was plagued by Horikoshi being sick and needing breaks so it dragged on for a really long time

Didn’t help that the average chapter size was 3/4 what it would normally be so it took a third longer than it normally should have

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Turns out, this is like HxH, the bad parts only felt bad because of horrible illness-related pacing and once that's fixed they are far more enjoyable.

And much like HxH's first adaptation, that last episode sure could've used some animation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mirio phasing through Eri to kick and punch was amazing, and the fact he can still tag Overhaul without his Quirk is great

I mean, sure, he's completely screwed in the long run, but it shows Eri that Overhaul isn't invincible

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I might be in the minority here but I think the series of still shots at the end worked better on an emotional level than the same sequence fully animated.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a bit that gets lost in this section with narration but they did a decent job I think.

I think they could've been a little heavier handed at the end explaining that Mirio managed to survive fighting Overhaul for several minutes while quirkless before he finally gassed out, since it looks like that all happens really quickly still- but the effort was good.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, Mirio avoided death at a touch without his powerful Quirk

now Deku gets to cut his teeth against the boss, can't wait to see how this gets animated

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Did the manga show any of the fighting outside the building but it wasn’t adapted in the anime?
It’s kinda lame that Uraraka and Asui came along on the mission but we don’t get to see them do anything because they stop to fight the first guy that appears and they don’t get an episode like Kirishima or even a scene of them fighting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Did the manga show any of the fighting outside the building but it wasn’t adapted in the anime?
It’s kinda lame that Uraraka and Asui came along on the mission but we don’t get to see them do anything because they stop to fight the first guy that appears and they don’t get an episode like Kirishima or even a scene of them fighting.

Nope. That part was not shown in the manga. One of the more common wishes for this season was that it'd actually show that, as the anime added several other moments that got skipped in the manga, but that doesn't seem like it'll happen.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What I really like about the miro fight is you get to see the effect of his tutelage under nighteye, and it seems like subtext to me that this was a substantial part of why he was able to fight overhaul quirkless. He spends the entire fight 1 step ahead of overhaul and two other powerful villians and the only reason he doesnt completely curbstomp them is because he also has to juggle protecting a child on top of the 3v1. And he's doing it by reading them, predicting their movements, and quickly finding the most efficient action he can take, which is also exactly how nighteye has been shown to fight. Nighteye can beat opponents many times stronger than him just by predicting their moves: he's effectively quirkless outside of that, and mirio put in the same position performs pretty well himself.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

InspectorCarbonara posted:

No, and it's dumb and bad. Also bad that despite being part of the "Big 3," Nejire doesn't get any spotlight moments the way Mirio and whats-his-name Suneater do. Gee I wonder why.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

What I really like about the miro fight is you get to see the effect of his tutelage under nighteye, and it seems like subtext to me that this was a substantial part of why he was able to fight overhaul quirkless. He spends the entire fight 1 step ahead of overhaul and two other powerful villians and the only reason he doesnt completely curbstomp them is because he also has to juggle protecting a child on top of the 3v1. And he's doing it by reading them, predicting their movements, and quickly finding the most efficient action he can take, which is also exactly how nighteye has been shown to fight. Nighteye can beat opponents many times stronger than him just by predicting their moves: he's effectively quirkless outside of that, and mirio put in the same position performs pretty well himself.

There were four villains.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Good episode.

https://twitter.com/holyyurimother/status/1211107687305363459

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh noticed a mistake. Kurono is referred to as a member of the Eight Bullets when he is not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Y'all have no idea how excited I was to see the (sub spoilers) Manchester Smash and OFA FC 20%.

:getin:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They did an okay job trying to rework everything around cutting out the narrator from the manga, but it still kinda doesn't work.

The harder hitting context is kinda lost... basically Nighteye goes in and using his foresight- he knows he's going to eventually lose. In desperation he looks further into the future hoping to see where Eri is saved and Deku/Lemillion are alright and sees Midoriya die/Overhaul escape with Eri. I think Nighteye basically willingly jumping to his death in desperation is sort of lost in how they cut it up. Not sure how else you could really get that impact though. In the manga when he's getting skewered and he looks into the future only to see death I think his despair is captured better.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

actually being able to see the chimera Overhaul becomes is huge since it was hard to tell in the manga

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Show me the girls' fight you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I'm glad they didn't chop up Rock Lock's scene.