Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

tepid matthew, th;anks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mfcrocker posted:

I agree but at the same time like gently caress are any of these assholes going to stay quiet for 18 months
That is fair. It's not likely, I just don't see a reason to open yourself up to more tedious arguments about ~the policy~ when you could just omit that part.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I can see two reasons for an 18-month limit. One is to reduce the time and effort it takes to vet runners. If you don't put a time limit on it you'll miss something that happened five years ago which will be promptly leapt on by people eager to bash GDQ, well intentioned or no. The second is to give people a chance to change and move on from past mistakes/wrongdoing.

I suspect the first reason is more likely but it's better to give people a chance, and as it says the time limit doesn't apply for egregious occurrences.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i feel like pretending not to be a bigot for 18 months is the same as not being a bigot for 18 months and should be celebrated & encouraged

if theyre a bigot theyre not gonna pretend not to be a bigot for a full year to play a speed run in a charity marathon

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You have to give people a chance to change and move on. If you don't then all you're doing is creating a reason for them to double down and actually join the chuds that would never change thier behavior anyway. The 18 months is pretty fair for minor stuff.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think establishing a time limit is weird, but I guess it's more for practical reasons, since apparently they wanna do the vetting themselves. Usually a bigot won't spend a year and a half not saying anything bigoted. They might not go "gently caress trans people" but they're gonna be lovely in some other manner.

It's kinda...weaksauce tho, if this is the "reworked policy". It's "being respectful", a very vague concept that can easily let people say poo poo things as long as they're not doing it to someone's face. I think it's nothing, frankly, and that's pretty disappointing.

But hey, speedruns! I'm not looking forward to anything specific this AGDQ, other than Awful Games, but that's always a super fun night.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Eh, it's fine.

Anyway, do you like speedrun content? Those history videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMVuCaeKEaw

Here's one about Metal Gear Solid! Specifically, those VR mission stages. It's good poo poo, I'm telling ya.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dias posted:

It's kinda...weaksauce tho, if this is the "reworked policy". It's "being respectful", a very vague concept that can easily let people say poo poo things as long as they're not doing it to someone's face. I think it's nothing, frankly, and that's pretty disappointing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dias posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the time limit is bad and I think the policy itself is loving bad. But eh, this policy is poo poo, so I still won't be watching, so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Eh, it's fine.

Here's one about Metal Gear Solid! Specifically, those VR mission stages. It's good poo poo, I'm telling ya.

Also it's made by soneone who is both a real speedrunner and non-nazi, which is very atypical for these kinds of videos.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Dias posted:

But hey, speedruns! I'm not looking forward to anything specific this AGDQ, other than Awful Games, but that's always a super fun night.
I always loved playing Fallout and VTM: Bloodlines, so those look great, but :same: otherwise. Is there anything that people are specifically looking forward to that I should try to work into my live-viewing schedule?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm couching Outer Worlds and Normy's Beach Babe O Rama, so those :getin:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Studio posted:

I'm couching Outer Worlds and Normy's Beach Babe O Rama, so those :getin:

hell ya

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ALTTP Croud Control should be either fun or a complete CF but either way it'll be entertaining.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is very pro-click

it begins normally but very rapidly descends into the game breaking in increasingly severe ways solely in order to murder PJ, whether that be spontaneous combustion while reloading a gun, him trying to get through a door and being violently hurled out of the level for it, or having a fire hose shooting napalm clip straight through a wall just so it could set him on fire

an example of the game falling apart just to kill everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08m48_21Pv8&hd=1&t=2410s

SoftNum posted:

ALTTP Croud Control should be either fun or a complete CF but either way it'll be entertaining.
it's gonna be both, it's always both with crowd control on

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 2, 2020

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SoftNum posted:

In my experience it is very entertaining but also can be annoying since there's a high enough spend tier to just outright KO one of the runners, so it's a good bit of fun but if you're expecting the race to seem completely fair, nah. It'll probably be good for the money raising aspect though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nep-Nep posted:

In my experience it is very entertaining but also can be annoying since there's a high enough spend tier to just outright KO one of the runners, so it's a good bit of fun but if you're expecting the race to seem completely fair, nah. It'll probably be good for the money raising aspect though.

can't they disable the instant KO? I'd hope they would, loving with the players is one thing but I always felt the instant kill one was a bit too far.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I would imagine they can but have no idea if they will or not, but given it's a big charity thing they could just jack up the price on that thing in particular. In practice it isn't always too bad because sometimes people will take pity on the runners and try to snipe a potential KO with a fairy or the like.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
donating my life savings to kill both runners immediately and permanently

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

If it only takes 18 months then we can all look forward to RWhiteGoose running GoldenEye at a GDQ soon right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Invictus posted:

this is very pro-click

it begins normally but very rapidly descends into the game breaking in increasingly severe ways solely in order to murder PJ, whether that be spontaneous combustion while reloading a gun, him trying to get through a door and being violently hurled out of the level for it, or having a fire hose shooting napalm clip straight through a wall just so it could set him on fire

an example of the game falling apart just to kill everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08m48_21Pv8&hd=1&t=2410s

it's gonna be both, it's always both with crowd control on

Is there a second video to go with this or is the trailer the pro-click?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Former Human posted:

If it only takes 18 months then we can all look forward to RWhiteGoose running GoldenEye at a GDQ soon right?

Isn't he already banned? So the 18 Month Period does nothing for him.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

I would imagine they can but have no idea if they will or not, but given it's a big charity thing they could just jack up the price on that thing in particular. In practice it isn't always too bad because sometimes people will take pity on the runners and try to snipe a potential KO with a fairy or the like.
They can disable stuff as they like, yeah. You can also adjust the prices on the fly, so they just make things crazy expensive if you start having too many “lol dead before getting the crystal” kind of deaths or time gets tight.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's also a timeout that can be attached to various effects, so you aren't utterly inundated with instant death. Andy (I'm assuming it's him since..yeah) has been doing this often enough that he's got a good memory for where fairies can be bottled pretty much everywhere.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Former Human posted:

I doubt even gdq are that dumb.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Eh, it's fine.

Also this looks rad. danke

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

I doubt even gdq are that dumb.

i imagine if you get banned, you're banned, 18 months or not.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Eh, it's fine.

That was cool info but man did he drag that out.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/BIGHONKINBURGER/status/1212942718004953088?s=19

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Beware the siren song of endless apps.

https://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-for-the-end-of-tgi-fridays-endless-ap-1606122925

(I'l go)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

can't decide if i hate myself enough to go

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
GDQ is fun and you all are friends so go and have fun.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

heeheex2 posted:

GDQ is fun and you all are friends so go and have fun.

Go to sgdq. Get Duke back somehow

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5n10XMlaE

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1212959280346882048

learned a new speedrun. it's that one game that everyone seems to really like. i thought it was pretty neat too.

i finished this game for the first time like two weeks ago lol, my power is immense

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
REmake extremely ftw. Now do rando

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh poo poo i love REmake gotta watch this later

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

site posted:

oh poo poo i love REmake gotta watch this later

Make sure to check bawkbasoup and uhhh carci's rando and door rando runs once you get tired og regular remakr speedru s. Good changes of pacr.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ArfJason posted:

REmake extremely ftw. Now do rando

has anyone made RE/SH randos and dedicated them to punchy yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i'm refusing to play rando until i get 400 subs because people kept bugging me on masse for it so I decided to milk it like a motherfucker. there are two outcomes here:

- it never happens
- i make lots of money

either way i win