Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

tone deaf reply deleted

hm, when evil characters become a litch they dont usually use spells from the divine caster list

Cleric liches were around in 1e, I believe, and were certainly in 2e, if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Schmeichy posted:

I actually went to grade school with someone who now works for the government, and I stumbled on a YouTube on his LinkedIn one time that was him explaining how using drones like this could accurately identify threats and civilians in a constant state (paraphrasing because all I could think of while watching was how he was building Skynet). Wouldn't surprise me if the military was testing some of these drone surveillance systems

So... that sort of thing has been active for almost a decade and is public on Wikipedia :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon_Stare

Wikipedia posted:

Phase two (also referred to as Increment 2, or "Inc two") integrated processes of tracking algorithms from the ARGUS-IS system. Argus is a system of tools also developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.[3]
On 1 July 2014, Sierra Nevada Corporation revealed that the Gorgon Stare Increment 2 pod had achieved initial operating capability (IOC) earlier in the year.[15] While the Increment 1 system, first fielded in March 2011, could cover an area of 16 km2 (6.2 sq mi), the incorporation of the ARGUS-IS expands that coverage area to 100 km2 (39 sq mi). The system has 368 cameras capable of capturing 5 million pixels each to create an image of about 1.8 billion pixels.[/b] Video is collected at a variable frame-rate per second, with the resulting data output averaging several gigabytes of video output per minute.

Some other wacky Wikipedia article explains a system that can process at this scale and notice things like abnormal movement patterns of vehicles. Can't imagine the capabilities now with AI/swarm behaviors.

hellotoothpaste has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Dec 28, 2019

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The Blood Pipe Is Still Spewing Blood After Nearly Two Years

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Hikvision just got caught advertising facial recognition equipment for ethnic cleansing back in November.
https://ipvm.com/reports/hikvision-uyghur

IIRC their CEO got in legal trouble with the government almost immediately afterwards for unspecified reasons (getting caught.)

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/28/teen-kills-paedophile-priest-ramming-crucifix-throat-11968146/

Like a giallo but real.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Collaborating with Imperial Japan to own the poors

http://www.executedtoday.com/2019/12/25/1943-four-aussie-escapees-at-the-hotel-tacloban/

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I mean I'm not religious but that's two generations taking their sons to the same priest who molested them..

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1210980199187263488?s=19

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

This is tankie word salad and I’m not sure if you’re posting it due to the unnerving propaganda levels, or if you think Ames’ “logic” here makes sense.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Busket Posket posted:

This is tankie word salad and I’m not sure if you’re posting it due to the unnerving propaganda levels, or if you think Ames’ “logic” here makes sense.

I can't find it right now but the double murder Lang is accused of was featured earlier in the thread.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Busket Posket posted:

It's laid out very plainly in the article:

Dude joins a Ukrainian death squad to escape some murder charges in the US and he and his lawyers are saying the attempt to extradite him is being done specifically at the behest of Putin.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Everything Counts posted:

I can't find it right now but the double murder Lang is accused of was featured earlier in the thread.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/ex-u-s-soldier-now-double-murder-suspect-hero-ukraine-n1105946

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

MizPiz posted:

It's laid out very plainly in the article:

Dude joins a Ukrainian death squad to escape some murder charges in the US and he and his lawyers are saying the attempt to extradite him is being done specifically at the behest of Putin.

I was referring to sharing the tweet from Ames — who is a huge fan of framing things as New World Order “tentacles of Soros” conspiracies — rather than just sharing the article itself. Lang is a piece of poo poo, yes, and Ames is not the most reliable analyst of the situation.

That’s why I wasn’t sure if there was a specific motivation to share the tweet along with it, because that particular tweet is a mashup of Ames’ pet theories (which include but are not limited to things like: being anti-Russian is pro-fascist, that Ukraine is exaggerating about all the Russian occupations, and that the assault charges against Julian Assange were a conspiracy to silence The Truth but any talk of Trump-Putin political collusion is *checks notes* “conspiracism”).

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tankies notoriously love the russian federation and defend it constantly, it's true

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

NY Post posted:

Police hunt for Louisiana killer possibly targeting homeless

The fatal shootings of three homeless people in a Louisiana city appear to be connected, police said.

Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul told reporters that detectives believe the killings of three transient people since Dec. 13 could be related, but a definitive link has yet to be found, ABC News reports.

“If confirmation is made, further information will be released at the appropriate time,” Paul said Friday. “We will continue to work these cases aggressively.”

Paul addressed reporters after police found 50-year-old Tony Williams fatally shot on the porch of a vacant home on Friday.

Williams’ body was discovered roughly two blocks away from where two other homeless people, Christina Fowler, 53, and Gregory Corcoran, 40, were found dead with gunshot wounds two weeks earlier, police said.

One or more suspects appear to be targeting the city’s vulnerable homeless population, leading police to reach out to FBI investigators and state police for help in the probe, Paul said.

“We do believe that it was incumbent upon us to provide the public, the media and the service providers that provide services to our homeless that there is danger in sleeping outside,” the chief told reporters.

A Baton Rouge police spokesman told The Post the investigation is ongoing.

The slayings, whether connected or not, are worrisome to the city’s homeless population, WAFB reports.

“People are scared,” one woman named Amanda who has lived on Baton Rouge streets for several years told the station. “I have a knife in my back pocket, I’ve got Mace in my purse and I know how to go fisticuffs with you.”

Still, those preventative measures might be enough, the woman acknowledged.

“I don’t think it’ll make a difference,” she said. “No, not [with] somebody like this.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
75 percent chance it's an angry rich wasp, 45 percent chance it's that and also he's a member of the Baton Rouge police department

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The dipshit Chief of Police posted:

there is danger in sleeping outside
Yep, because all these folks are just sleeping outside because they like the night air.

Like, I get that they have to say poo poo like this to reassure all the rich shits that being homeless is a choice and to cover their butts for when the guy is caught and folks ask "why didn't you realize there was a serial killer sooner" but holy poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

75 percent chance it's an angry rich wasp, 45 percent chance it's that and also he's a member of the Baton Rouge police department

They will kill in a different city now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I watched "Don't gently caress with cats" on Netflix. I am not sure how I never heard of that on the news. It's a rough one. They don't show anything gory, but they show parts of the videos that don't have violent parts, but it's still hard to watch. The music was also anxiety inducing a little bit.
Then I looked up the case and holy poo poo did they leave a lot out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The internet people didn't do much to solve the case at all, but somehow the entire thing is about them. Sure they figured out who it was by having someone come into their group and telling them who it was (and I think it was probably him telling them because he wanted the attention).

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wasabi the J posted:

They will kill in a different city now.

Or not, I doubt the police are going to do anymore than a half-assed investigation until the story dies in a week or two.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

The internet people didn't do much to solve the case at all, but somehow the entire thing is about them. Sure they figured out who it was by having someone come into their group and telling them who it was (and I think it was probably him telling them because he wanted the attention).

Being a place where they can go and confess, even if for bragging rights, is still something. Even if the sleuthing didn't find them it helped stop them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True, but those internet weirdos are seriously loving creepy. And throwing shade at the viewer for watching their documentary at the end was stupid as well.

edit:
Like, I think it could have been a much more interesting documentary if they had cut all the doxxing people out and just focused on the investigations and his background.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 2, 2020

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but those internet weirdos are seriously loving creepy. And throwing shade at the viewer for watching their documentary at the end was stupid as well.

edit:
Like, I think it could have been a much more interesting documentary if they had cut all the doxxing people out and just focused on the investigations and his background.
I rolled my eyes so goddamn hard. The "maybe we (and by we I mean you the viewer, not me because I'm only doing it ironically) were the monsters all along" ending was so obviously tacked on to avoid criticism of how exploitive it was.

Like if you want to make a doc about how true crime is becoming even more exploitive and how armchair sleuths are often just harassing family members/innocent people because their dumb rear end gut told them, then there are plenty of examples of that.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
I would legit love to listen to a podcast with Marcus from LPOTL with anyone other than Henry. They do so much good research and some episodes are amazing, but too often it's dependent on what Henry does. I never like bitching about negative things because if it sucks, just don't listen, but too many episodes are ruined by Henry taking over with dumb poo poo.

Would love to find a podcast that covers similar stuff with good research.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
:same:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:same:

Harry straight-up ruins that podcast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming he's the one that does all the stupid loving voices and just screams the same two jokes he wrote for the episode over and over for hours.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd suggest Astonishing Legends if want did, maybe the rebooted Blurry Photos, Unexplained, or Not Alone too.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming he's the one that does all the stupid loving voices and just screams the same two jokes he wrote for the episode over and over for hours.

Yep. He's also the one that is horrifically racist.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup. I mostly listen to the Bonfire, where there is screaming and stupid voices, but I guess it's subject matter and actually being funny that makes the difference. LPOTL talks about tons of stuff I would love to listen to, but it's unlistenable at times.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
As somebody who generally likes Henry's brand of dumb comedy, depending on the series and whether he tries or just gets hung up on a funny voice, it's kind of a shame that Marcus didn't branch out into another project. Giving lukewarm political takes with Ben and grinding himself into dust writing a book seems like a waste, especially since his, I think now wife, Carolina did Escuela Sangre for awhile and covered Mexican true crime. In fairness, I never checked it out since it was a Spanish language podcast, so I have no idea how good it was. The reviews mainly complained that the hosts' Spanish was terrible :shrug:. I assume Marcus and Carolina could do a fun short true crime case though, I remember them being funny together on an episode of the Roundtable of Gentlemen podcast.

At least Henry's been pretty good with not doing racist voices for a few years. Sucks that it poisoned a lot of old episodes.

There just aren't a lot of shows that scratch the same itch. I've been keeping an eye out just for the sake of variety and in case LPotL's move to Spotify is a clusterfuck. This Paranormal Life isn't bad if you're looking for two friends chatting about paranormal stuff, although I've only listened to a couple of episodes. I've heard decent things about And That's Why We Drink but haven't had a chance to check them out. All Killa No Filla was fun but had such bad sound mixing that I stopped listening, I really should try it again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Queen Combat posted:

Yep. He's also the one that is horrifically racist.

Yeah I started listening to LPOTL thanks to goon recs, and started with the later episodes thanks to goon recs, and then listened to a scattering throughout thanks to goon recs... and eventually stopped cuz like, every episode I listened to was mainly decade-old south park jokes punctuated by "hilarious" fake accents by the one dude. It's a bunch of middle-aged dumbasses screeching jokes from 2006 middle school, and sometimes they repeat information they googled about something creepy.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

As somebody who generally likes Henry's brand of dumb comedy, depending on the series and whether he tries or just gets hung up on a funny voice, it's kind of a shame that Marcus didn't branch out into another project. Giving lukewarm political takes with Ben and grinding himself into dust writing a book seems like a waste, especially since his, I think now wife, Carolina did Escuela Sangre for awhile and covered Mexican true crime. In fairness, I never checked it out since it was a Spanish language podcast, so I have no idea how good it was. The reviews mainly complained that the hosts' Spanish was terrible :shrug:. I assume Marcus and Carolina could do a fun short true crime case though, I remember them being funny together on an episode of the Roundtable of Gentlemen podcast.

At least Henry's been pretty good with not doing racist voices for a few years. Sucks that it poisoned a lot of old episodes.

There just aren't a lot of shows that scratch the same itch. I've been keeping an eye out just for the sake of variety and in case LPotL's move to Spotify is a clusterfuck. This Paranormal Life isn't bad if you're looking for two friends chatting about paranormal stuff, although I've only listened to a couple of episodes. I've heard decent things about And That's Why We Drink but haven't had a chance to check them out. All Killa No Filla was fun but had such bad sound mixing that I stopped listening, I really should try it again.

Yeah, it's just strange that Marcus does all that leg work just for the episode to depend on how much Henry wants to derail.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Speaking of netflix docs I just watched Wild Wild Country and it's weird how shallow it was. In 6+ hours they didn't go into detail what the cult was really about, there was just one episode where you heard some really interesting financial stuff from an investigative journalist which wasn't followed at all and none of the perpetrators were confronted about their acts. Like the like lady who organized the poisoning of nearly a thousand people wasn't even asked about it in the series.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

I would legit love to listen to a podcast with Marcus from LPOTL with anyone other than Henry. They do so much good research and some episodes are amazing, but too often it's dependent on what Henry does. I never like bitching about negative things because if it sucks, just don't listen, but too many episodes are ruined by Henry taking over with dumb poo poo.

Would love to find a podcast that covers similar stuff with good research.

I have this problem with a lot of true crime podcasts - I just don't give a poo poo about the hosts or their POV, just gimme the unsettling deets, and get it right. I can't listen to My Favourite Murder for this reason, and have been trying Morbid: A True Crime Podcast, but really not sure how I feel about it. Alaina actually reads up on poo poo and does decent research, but Ash dooooes not, and they consider themselves 'sisters' so there's never gonna be a version of one without the other. I also kinda hate their voices, and hate myself for that.

In the interest of keeping things going, here's some recs of investigative or true crime podcasts that I have liked recently-ish that aren't just 'two assholes dishing about murderers while readin' from a wiki article':

https://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark - APM Reports: In The Dark - This is the gold standard for investigative podcasts IMO. Well-vetted & researched, and seeks to find a deeper truth than 'who dun it'. The first season is about the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling, but it's really about the failures of the police involved, how little oversight sheriff's offices really have, and how that power can be abused even for 'good intentions'. There's now a second season about an unsolved murder and the suspect Curtis Flowers, who has been tried six times in Mississippi by state prosecutor Doug Evans. This case is currently ongoing - Curtis has just been released on bail; the podcast has brought forth exculpatory evidence that has changed the trajectory of this case.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/findingcleo/click-here-to-listen-to-missing-murdered-finding-cleo-1.4557887 - Finding Cleo - presented by the CBC, season two of this podcast about children who went missing during The Sixties Scoop in Canada is heartbreaking and enlightening: "Where is Cleo? It's a mystery her family has been trying to unravel for decades after the young Cree girl was apprehended by child welfare workers in Saskatchewan in the 1970's. Her siblings say she was stolen, and then raped and murdered while trying to hitchhike back home, her body left at the side of the road somewhere in the United States. They have no idea where she is, whether her name was changed, or if anyone has been charged in her murder."

https://www.wabe.org/shows/buried-truths/ - Buried Truths - Hank Klibanoff teaches a class on Civil Rights cold cases at Emory University, so he knows his stuff. Here, he presents us two cases in two seasons, heartbreaking both in their brutality, and in their lack of justice or acknowledgment until now

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510343/white-lies - White Lies - "In 1965, Rev. James Reeb was murdered in Selma, Alabama. Three men were tried and acquitted, but no one was ever held to account. Fifty years later, two journalists from Alabama return to the city where it happened, expose the lies that kept the murder from being solved and uncover a story about guilt and memory that says as much about America today as it does about the past."

https://wondery.com/shows/dr-death/ - Dr. Death - so this one doesn't have the same standards as the ones above - Wondery is more about creating sensationalized entertainment podcasts quickly on a regular schedule to feed fans, than about well-vetted and researched ones developed over time. BUT the case is so nuts, and by all account all the things reported in here are true, that it's worth a listen.

https://thecoldpodcast.com/ - Cold Podcast - just finished this one and I'm still pondering how I feel about it - the case is intense and I couldn't stop listening, there's so much here and this researcher really dug into the source material he had, which was a lot of notebooks and audio diary entries from the murderer himself. The host makes a point of getting things from firsthand sources wherever possible - but he editorializes a bit much for my tastes, and there are times where he airs frustration with the now-dead murder victim about not leaving her abuser that, while full of good intentions, just comes off p. judgy. He also spends a good portion of the last episode stating his own personal theory on how he thinks it all went down, which he admits is a big no-no to do, but still proceeds to do anyway.

I would love any recs for podcasts of this vein/quality - I am finding I've run through all the 'good' stuff I am aware of, and now it's just MFM/LPOTL-type stuff which isn't satisfying in the least

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jan 2, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just to check, since you didn't mention it, but have you checked out Casefile? It's a solid no-nonsense true crime podcast. No jokes and just generally well-told stories. The only negative would probably be that it sticks to one-offs, for the most part.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Just to check, since you didn't mention it, but have you checked out Casefile? It's a solid no-nonsense true crime podcast. No jokes and just generally well-told stories. The only negative would probably be that it sticks to one-offs, for the most part.

Seconding Casefile for no nonsense crime podcasting, please do not feel bad for not being able to like My Fave Murder, I cannot stand it.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I loved MFM for about...2 years. Was a good intro into true crime. But there's way too much wasted time now, where it's 2 hours of therapy talk and 10 minutes of story. Anyone still listening probably has a pretty parasocial relationship at this point.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll hit them up. If I can add one, Criminal on PRX is an amazing podcast that's, well, sometimes about true crime and sometimes about society regarding certain crimes. Either way, it's amazing and I've both cried and been appalled multiple times while listening to it. Can heartily recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
True Crime Canada, Court Junkie (NOT CRIME JUNKIE), They Walk Among Us,
are all good in depth facts podcasts. No back and forth or jokes and lots of obvious research.
Court Junkie has a lot of transcripts and audio from court but opposed to something like Sword and Scale it obviously took a lot of research/money and actually works because it's presented well by the host and very as the facts are without any selfrighteousness or ego.

Minds of Madness is good with focusing in on who the victims were though not as thorough as the ones I've already mentioned.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jan 2, 2020