Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I sabered a bottle of champagne for the first time about 20 minutes after midnight. Nice building a new skill early in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
You can have a nice veal chop.

You can have a duck breast.

You can have a risotto with shrimp and clams and octopus and other cool poo poo in it.

You can have the sea bass.

No thanks, I'd rather have the ground meat with breadcrumbs in it with ketchup on top.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mithross posted:

As she left tonight, around 7pm, my prep cook asked me to cut taco meat for her, as she hadn’t gotten to it. I tried to explain that it was NYE and I was not going to have time to dice up 20lbs of pork shoulder. Her response: “You have an extra person on the line. Have him do it while you cook.”

I gave up and just didn’t reply.

I'd write that up if she does it on a regular basis.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I worked my way up from dishwasher to line cook over the past two years.

New Years Resolution: Actually contribute an idea.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Shabadu posted:

posting from the private club i work at that is closed after lunch, and closed all day tomorrow

we have 6 covers total for lunch service

We did about 60 at lunch and 170 for dinner with 3 of us. Everyone was late, I hate everyone. Happy new year.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

New Year's Eve was pretty tame. It's a family holiday here. The week before was pure hell. Today is pretty dead. At least I now have the beginning of the year parties to look forward to. Hopefully I'll be stuck behind the bar alone while I get slammed for those as well!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

You can have a risotto with shrimp and clams and octopus and other cool poo poo in it.

No thanks, I'd rather have the ground meat with breadcrumbs in it with ketchup on top.

Ah the Presidential special, very good sir.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Give me your finest chicken fingers with some ranch please.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Everything you listed is good; why hate on meatloaf?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ParserGirl posted:

Two layers of pantyhose will insulate you far more than people realize.

I found some fleece lined leggings at Target, and did it. Hell yeah. Went out with friends, and my sister. I tipped the bartenders $20 for four beers and a Jim & Coke. Because they were busting rear end at this pizza place/bar. Tipped the Waffle House folk this morning another $10, it was madness but they were working hard too.

If I end up purged because Lowtax is as broke brained and garbage as his spine, I appreciate you all. Just as a heads up. :v:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 1, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm used to bartending and I prefer it, but bartenders are in high supply and low demand where I've moved to. I've been working as door/bouncer/barback since August. A guy with technically more seniority just came back from six months of deployment and it was the two of us for door/bouncer duty for his first shift back on.

I had nearly two weeks warning and had been stressing out, but somehow everything went smoothly! The local alcohol commission has been on a warpath for a couple of months. We turned away the no-ID/expired ID people, we turned away the showed-up-hammered people, we let in a whole bunch of people that had their papers in order and were just looking for a good time, everything went wonderfully smoothly for an Irish bar on New Year's Eve.

I wish it had been and hope it was as copacetic for everyone else.

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 1, 2020

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Friend of mine running the store a couple miles away from the one I was running got robbed at gunpoint last night.

Stay safe, y'all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

Friend of mine running the store a couple miles away from the one I was running got robbed at gunpoint last night.

Stay safe, y'all.

I'm remembering the opening of Pulp Fiction and also thinking about how at my current restaurant I get maybe 1 cash payment every two months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

Stay safe, y'all.

Restaurant robberies are way up in Houston, with a bunch of places being hit multiple times over the past year or two. I get that the owners are pissed off, but stop leaving 5 and 6 figures in the loving safe, get a lockable bag and make a nightly bank drop.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did anyone else close the restaurant on New Year’s Eve then sleep for 14 hours?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Restaurant robberies are way up in Houston, with a bunch of places being hit multiple times over the past year or two. I get that the owners are pissed off, but stop leaving 5 and 6 figures in the loving safe, get a lockable bag and make a nightly bank drop.

Does every restaurant not have a separate safe (or compartment within the safe) for deposits that's only accessible to whoever does the bank drops?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

They will steal the whole safe.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Coasterphreak posted:

Stay safe, y'all.

heyyy, must be that time of year, our fuel island got robbed last week and the prep cook thought he saw the same guys the next night at the c-store. Apparently we were at work when it happened so we were all a bit on edge for a while

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

heyyy, must be that time of year, our fuel island got robbed last week and the prep cook thought he saw the same guys the next night at the c-store. Apparently we were at work when it happened so we were all a bit on edge for a while

Some guy got murdered about 30 seconds walk from where I work 2 days ago. Crime Five :hfive:!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Well, in hopes of lightening the mood, I found this and figured you guys would get a kick out of it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Skwirl posted:

I sabered a bottle of champagne for the first time about 20 minutes after midnight. Nice building a new skill early in the year.

sabering can be really fun but be aware that it can go really wrong. I also think there's a reasonable argument to be made that its disrespectful to the wine but i think thats very much a "depends"

ps: assuming everything is right (seam up, well-chilled neck), I find that the follow-through is the most important part for a clean saber. ie saber through past the neck, don't just saber at it and stop

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 5, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

idiotsavant posted:

sabering can be really fun but be aware that it can go really wrong. I also think there's a reasonable argument to be made that its disrespectful to the wine but i think thats very much a "depends"

ps: assuming everything is right (seam up, well-chilled neck), I find that the follow-through is the most important part for a clean saber. ie saber through past the neck, don't just saber at it and stop

I’m 1 for 1 on sabering and honestly I can’t bring myself to try it again, not with any champagne I’d want to drink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, we were using the prosecco that we sell by the glass during happy hour, not exactly the fanciest stuff.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I mean, we were using the prosecco that we sell by the glass during happy hour, not exactly the fanciest stuff.

Next you're going to tell us you didn't use an actual sabre!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Next you're going to tell us you didn't use an actual sabre!

A serrated bread knife.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Well... looks like I'm going back in. Just gotta remember, only temporary. I have a degree next year.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 5, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Resting Lich Face posted:

Well... looks like I'm going back in. Just gotta remember, only temporary.

Thread title lol

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
10 years later...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Skwirl posted:

A serrated bread knife.

Just use the back side! Sabering cheapo sparkling wine/pet nat is great, and even sabering “good” sparkling wine can be really cool when it’s performed in the formal, ceremonial way. It’s when people start loving around and sabering grower champagnes with like, gardening trowels and skateboards (I mean, as long as there’s a hard edge...) that it gets kinda dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it was just the heaviest knife that wasn't one of the cook's nice expensive knives.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think it was just the heaviest knife that wasn't one of the cook's nice expensive knives.

Bread knives are multi-tools.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bread knives are multi-tools.

Seriously. We keep a couple lovely old ones around explicitly for opening/topping boxes.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

idiotsavant posted:

Just use the back side! Sabering cheapo sparkling wine/pet nat is great, and even sabering “good” sparkling wine can be really cool when it’s performed in the formal, ceremonial way. It’s when people start loving around and sabering grower champagnes with like, gardening trowels and skateboards (I mean, as long as there’s a hard edge...) that it gets kinda dumb

Realtalk, if a server sabered a bottle open with a skateboard and actually managed it, I would drink whatever it was. I have a feeling that if you look deep inside yourself and are being completely honest, you'd do the same.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It was a friend using the trucks. As long as the neck is nice and cold and you have the seam up you can do it with just about anything that has a decent corner on it. I’ve used steel spatulas, butter knives, 8 oz soup spoons, whatever. One of the classic tricks is using the base of a wine glass to do it

Also nice knives aren’t really a problem cause you don’t use the blade edge, just use the spine. Actual champagne sabers aren’t particularly sharp at all

The two places where it can go wrong is popping someone in the face with a heavy chunk of cork + sharp, heavy glass, and more unpredictably (and dangerous) having a bottle blow up in your hand instead. Second is fairly rare afaik but holding the bottle with a napkin & or clean towel isn’t the worst idea

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just got these in the mail today:

Spring assisted knee braces. Reduce effective body weight on your knees by about 80 pounds. Figured people itt may be interested in them. They fuckin rule.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I need some of those for my hosed up neck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Spring assisted knee braces. Reduce effective body weight on your knees by about 80 pounds. Figured people itt may be interested in them. They fuckin rule.

If this is really something that makes your job easier I'm both happy you have it and pissed off it's something you had to pay for
yourself

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I got a pair of those for my dad for christmas and an strongly contemplating a pair for myself.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

PopeCrunch posted:

Realtalk, if a server sabered a bottle open with a skateboard and actually managed it, I would drink whatever it was. I have a feeling that if you look deep inside yourself and are being completely honest, you'd do the same.

We did the champagne sabering thing at a staff party one year at my last job. The next year, in a humourous attempt at one-upmanship, I offered to open a keg of beer with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Takes 2/3rd of my body weight off my 45 year old knees and only cost about $40? Holy poo poo, thank you, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'm okay with standing long periods of time, but if I gotta kneel down to get something on a bottom shelf, I have to grab the edge of the counter/table to pull myself back up. :(

Plus the city I live in has hills like San Francisco or Pittsburgh. Man, I wish I'd had those when I did political canvassing, just for the houses with 45 degree driveways or six kajillion steps.