Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Seeing a goon with an Arrow avatar complain about The Mandalorian is great, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s weird to complain about plot armor when a major conceit of the show is that main character literally has magic armor that prevents like 90% of damage and the other main protagonist has magic healing powers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The one question I do have about the e-web thing is: if the battery pack is that volatile, why didn't the good guys just shoot it when everyone was assembled around it in the open?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The one question I do have about the e-web thing is: if the battery pack is that volatile, why didn't the good guys just shoot it when everyone was assembled around it in the open?

Wasn't a red barrel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s weird to complain about plot armor when a major conceit of the show is that main character literally has magic armor that prevents like 90% of damage and the other main protagonist has magic healing powers.

building on this, imo none of those Mandalorians died. Their armor was piled up. That poo poo is drat near priceless, if you kill a mandalorian you take the fuckin body no matter what

Just that there was a pile of it ready to be smelted and remade makes me think they all got out relatively ok.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

building on this, imo none of those Mandalorians died. Their armor was piled up. That poo poo is drat near priceless, if you kill a mandalorian you take the fuckin body no matter what

Just that there was a pile of it ready to be smelted and remade makes me think they all got out relatively ok.

some of the armour was hosed up, one of them had a hole in the face plate. I'm sure some died

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

They're dead... The Armorer exposits that after they revealed themselves to save Mando and Baby Yoda, the Imperials found their covert and basically initiated another Purge. She believes some of their covert were able to escape, but the armor left behind definitely belonged to now dead Mandalorians. My guess is The Armorer and a few other survivors rounded up the dead after the skirmish with the Imps.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Uh, I mean no true Mandalorian is gonna leave their armor behind and fly away, you either completely forsake your culture, your honor, and your spiritual practice or you die.

None of their armor looked like the same Beskar that Din’s is made of, and besides that Imps have all the Beskar they stole from the Mandalorians.

Also the blacksmith straight up says “some of them may have fled offworld.” She has pretty clearly laid the dead to rest (probably in her forge)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mayyyyybe guys, but they flew in like the fuckin' cavalry in ep 3 or whatever and didn't take a single loss, they were drat near bulletproof. Then an IG-1 took out like an entire squadron of imperial troops on its own... cmon..

Obviously from a story standpoint its better if they are, or if they're spread out and less effective now, because yeah : Why don't they just fly in all the time like they have god mode enabled while the hero escapes? It's definitely a tension killer to have them just waiting around.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mayyyyybe guys, but they flew in like the fuckin' cavalry in ep 3 or whatever and didn't take a single loss, they were drat near bulletproof. Then an IG-1 took out like an entire squadron of imperial troops on its own... cmon..

They're dead dude, lol. The covert were fighting against scrub rear end bounty hunters at the end of chapter 3. The IG unit was still overpowered in the end and had to retreat to the tavern for cover despite how invincible it looked against other scrub rear end bounty hunters and a platoon of unassuming storm troopers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No one even said they were murked by stormtroopers. Gideon has the darksabre. It's possible that he took out a bunch of them.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 2, 2020

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

teagone posted:

She believes some of their covert were able to escape

I'm willing to bet money that this is going be a plot point around season 2 or 3 when some of the Mando's former brothers-in-hiding will come back for revenge.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No one even said they were murked by stormtroopers. Gideon has the darksabre. It's possible that he took out a bunch of them.

Gideon also had his squad of deathtroopers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Gideon also had his squad of deathtroopers

One of whom gave Mando a bit of a struggle. And he's the hero!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean there is a difference between missing a hint or background information, and then just willingly ignoring both the text of the show as well as all the context of the show that explicitly states, again and again, Mandalorians don’t take off their armor, pretty much ever, and certainly wouldn’t abandon it in a sewer to run away.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I demand realistic combat tactics from the cape-wearing villain who wields a black laser sword and wants to kidnap a tiny magic green elf baby.
Way to laser in on one sentence and ignore the rest of the post. Can't let actual discussion get in the way of this ~**sick burn**~

Bust Rodd posted:

Who are you replying to? Nobody is talking about plot armor. It's a space western, obviously the good guys are going to survive.

My point is that the "big moments" of the last episode often required characters to behave in ways that didn't follow from what we knew about their character or the situation they were facing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But it does follow what they did in the past and they went into this whole thing thinking he only had 4 guards with him. Then he has a whole platoon including highly skilled Death Troopers. And after our heroes say "gently caress off" - they bring in a giant gun to up the stakes. It's a classic tale of westerns and the shootout is a classic trope too.

This is the way.

I have spoken.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. If it was a western it would have been a gatling gun. Heck, the Mando picking it up like he did feels like a reference to the original Django.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 2, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. If it was a western it would have been a gatling gun. Heck, the Mando picking it up like he did feels like a reference to the original Django.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Wild Bunch, but it was a machine gun
Magnifiicent Seven (modern)
3:10 to Yuma
Last Samurai
The Gatling Gun

there are probably shitlods more. It's the 2 health bar big boss in any self respecting western

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Crosspostin’

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey guys my girlfriend jumped on the Viral Baby Yoda bandwagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQDx-Fk05Mc

If you’re looking a cute snack to serve at a Star Wars party or just want to have some fun making snacks with your kids try this out

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bust Rodd posted:

Mandalorians don’t take off their armor, pretty much ever, and certainly wouldn’t abandon it in a sewer to run away.
Sabine Wren does not follow The Way apparently.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Xenomrph posted:

Sabine Wren does not follow The Way apparently.

Maybe Din is an Orthodox Mandalorian and Sabine was a Reform Mandalorian.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The super hardcore almost religious way the armor is treated in The Mandalorian really seems like a direct response to their post-Rebels near genocide at the hands of the Empire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's actually the most popular explanation of it. It's that or since the great purge all mandolorian Warriors have taken an oath to not remove their helmets.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think this series was actually the first time that particular custom has come up in the new canon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is season 2 gonna ruin the magic by giving baby yoda a real name

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1212833385292283904

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Someone is gonna have a heart-to-helmet with Din and be like “Dude, you have an adopted son, you can’t keep calling them ‘it’”, and Din will name it something sappy like “Kuill-ig” and we’ll all go “OMG Baby Yoda is perfect, please let me die for this baby!”

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I shall name you... IG-11. Just “Eleven” for short.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He's actually Yoda Agent 47, we just haven't seen his barcode yet

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Wild Bunch, but it was a machine gun
Magnifiicent Seven (modern)
3:10 to Yuma
Last Samurai
The Gatling Gun

there are probably shitlods more. It's the 2 health bar big boss in any self respecting western

I was thinking Rooster Cogburn when he took over the gun in Ep.1, which would make Kate Hepburn the Mandalorian and John Wayne IG-11, and--hang on, let me get my pen...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

site posted:

is season 2 gonna ruin the magic by giving baby yoda a real name

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1212833385292283904

No idea if it’ll still pan out since MakingStarWars’s track record for The Mandalorian leaks is weirdly all over the place, but one early report said we would eventually learn his species’ name and see more of them on the show. It was supposed to happen this season but I guess the concept was either tossed entirely or just shifted to a later season.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was Resistance worth a watch, or should I just pick out the good parts of Rebels instead?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

Was Resistance worth a watch, or should I just pick out the good parts of Rebels instead?

wait till it's finished and someone does a machette order

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just had a couple thoughts collide together... I was scrolling YouTube and came across an “anime opening” made from scenes from the Galaxy of Adventures shorts. Made me miss the days when they were regularly making those shorts. Why would they stop since they were so popular? A thought then struck me, what if the rumored Dr. Aphra cartoon is a real thing and being done by that studio in that same style since they stopped GoA last summer? Would be a great way to set it apart from the other CG series, and could bring a great look for the show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Watch all of Rebels - we did, so you have too as well! Even the whale episode!!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Watch all of Rebels - we did, so you have too as well! Even the whale episode!!

The whale epiode is crucial.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm really terrified Mando is going to go the way of Rebels. Filoni is a loving hack and needs to stay away from Star Wars.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shbobdb posted:

I'm really terrified Mando is going to go the way of Rebels. Filoni is a loving hack and needs to stay away from Star Wars.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Why the hell would someone that hates Dave Filoni bother watching something that Filoni was so heavily involved with? Do you have some sort of brain injury that reduces your pattern recognition and object permanence functioning? Literally everything about this show being hyped up has been Fav and Filoni talking with folks because they were both heavily involved in it.

It doesn't matter if everything Dave Filoni does is poo poo, at a certain point the problem is you for constantly watching stuff he makes and bitching like a child about it. Move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think Resistance shows that Filoni should be more involved