Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taima posted:

As far as I understand it, you can turn this off completely in the service menu. Though, i don't believe you can turn off the overall brightness limiter (non-static ABL) that controls the overall peak brightness of the panel.

Correct, you can turn off ASBL but not ABL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
To be clear I have never consciously noticed ABL dimming bright scenes on either TV. It's dimming of long stretches of dark scenes that is the problem.

bull3964 posted:

ASBL is the issue. It's what dims "static" content like if you have the video paused. If what you are watching (HDR or not) is a dim scene without much variance in brightness, the TV will think the signal is paused and start dimming the display.

I had it happen a lot on Series of Unfortunate Events: The Austere Academy because it was very monochromatic and quite dim throughout. I remember one particular scene in Twin Peaks: The Return that also ended up quite dark by the end. If the screen changes enough, it will jump back up to normal brightness again. There's no way to affect the behavior from the normal TV menus (though I suppose it's possible it can be influenced by things light your normal brightness level or OLED light level, I'm not 100% sure how the algorithms work.)

Harmony can be programmed for the service remote (at least for the 6 series, not sure if it's 100% the same for any other years.

Thanks. Do you think the Harmony 350 is good enough?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Is this about the "stutter" that rtings reports on for 24p content? Because if that's it, 24p content is always 24p content, the only reason it might look smoother on an LCD based display is because the significantly slower pixel response times provides some feeling of "smoothness" that isn't actually there, and is also actively disruptive to times when you want to see clearly in a fast panning shot.

Yeah, there's motion resolution. LG OLED score pretty low here, blame sample and hold. If you don't notice stutter in camera motion you're lucky, cuz it drives me crazy. Sadly the only way around it is to choose a compromise..you can do black frame insertion (no thanks), or you can smooth motion out..which is the very thing creatives are trying to rally against. On the LG stuff you'd go into the motion settings and find an acceptable compromise setting that works for you. I hate smoothing as much as I hate stutter, so either option kinda sucks.

I want the motion handling of PWM and the image quality of OLED in one display..someday?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
How does sample and hold make stutter worse? The problem with sample and hold compared to something like a CRT is that it introduces motion blur when you follow things on screen with your eyes. If you didn't notice stutter in 24fps content before it's probably because you used a dim screen. My home projector looked a lot smoother than cinema projectors because of the brightness difference.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Torn between lg b9, and panasonic gz1000: thoughts? Netflix and a bit of gaming, price is the same.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm pretty sure they both use the same LG manufactured panel. I'd go with the B9 because of webOS: it does everything you want from a smart tv platform, which is move between your hdmi inputs, youtube and netflix quickly, and it isn't slow or prone to crashing (like android tv)

... not that the panasonic uses android tv, but the panasonic smart tv OS hasn't been particularly impressive from what i've seen.

Sphyre fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 29, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I recently bought the C9 and found out I don't give a gently caress about motion interpolation after years of believing I would dislike it :lol:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone have a source on short length polarized two prong power cords? Like this but maybe 1 foot long.

We have our set up wall mounted, but the power cord for the sound bar is 3 feet long. The outlet for the soundbar is literally right behind it, though, so the extra length is just sort of stuffed behind the sound bar. Some squirts out and it really ruins the look.

I could just jam the extra length into the wall, but I went through the trouble (and spent the money) to make sure everything thats running back there is fire code safe to be in walls, and this random power cable certainly isn't. I'd hate to break things up at the last mile here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline...7633446&sr=8-15

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Some content like The Mandalorian, my PQ65 says the vertical refresh is 60Hz. Surely that’s not right. Stuff like The Expanse, my TV says it’s 24Hz.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The content is typically 24fps but your TV is refreshing at 60Hz.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The content is typically 24fps but your TV is refreshing at 60Hz.
Maybe it’s because I’m using a Firestick but the refresh is 24Hz when I watch The Expanse or The Americans on Amazon Prime. There’s even a little message saying “adjusting frame rate”.

I guess I could see what happens when I use the native app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fire Stick has native frame rate switching functionality, but the app developer has to support it. Amazon does for their own app, apparently Disney has not.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

New TCL giving me issues.

3rd time in 3 months of ownership, I've seen it go black, then give me the TCL 4k screen for a few minutes, before finally rebooting and working again.

Best route/advice for dealing with Customer service and getting them to address a potential defect?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The only time my 6 series reboots is the first buffering from Netflix 4K titles. After the reboot it plays them fine and it doesn’t always happen. I had a similar problem with Netflix on my Sony Android tv, so I’m blaming Netflix.

What’s happening before yours reboots?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I need a polarized plug, and of course searching for "polarized" returns "non-polarized," which is giving me no end of headaches. Thanks, though.

Weirdly, that seller does sell a polarized plug but the shortest length is 3 feet. I hate that Amazon's become a lovely flea market for stuff like this, it makes it impossible to tell if this product actually exists on there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3-feet is 1 meter, so that's probably why that's the popular short-run length. Nothing on Amazon or Monoprice that matches, which will make it tougher. I don't doubt one exists out there somewhere, though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I need a new TV stand. I am just using the IKEA Lack TV bench and it feels like the TV is small...? I dunno. I go to my buddies who has it on a much higher piece of furniture and it seems massive. Both 65".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The besta can be had in a tall configuration. Legs cam be added for more height.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bought the LGB9 after much chin tapping, it's really nice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Boxman posted:

I need a polarized plug, and of course searching for "polarized" returns "non-polarized," which is giving me no end of headaches. Thanks, though.

Weirdly, that seller does sell a polarized plug but the shortest length is 3 feet. I hate that Amazon's become a lovely flea market for stuff like this, it makes it impossible to tell if this product actually exists on there.

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Polarized-IEC320C7/dp/B00T6N5JT4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=iec320+c7+polarized+1+foot&qid=1577866639&sr=8-6

edit: Look at the second pic, also by the comments maybe it's a bit longer when you count the plug ends.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Charles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Slot-Polarized-IEC320C7/dp/B00T6N5JT4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=iec320+c7+polarized+1+foot&qid=1577866639&sr=8-6

edit: Look at the second pic, also by the comments maybe it's a bit longer when you count the plug ends.

Loads better than anything I've found. Thanks so much!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anyone with a TCL/Roku TV have all their homescreen icons shrink when the new year hit? Makes for easier navigating but it also doesn't seemed correctly sized for the screen

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boxman posted:

The reason you're having trouble finding it is that the polarized connector is non-standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7/C8_coupler

In most cases where the AC power is just being converted immediately to DC for use in electronics the polarity doesn't actually matter and you can use a standard C7 cord without a care in the world, but there is a chance that the magic smoke may be released from something. With electronics this is typically a very small chance, but it does exist. I'd be more worried about appliances with motors or other things like that.

My PS2 for example uses one of the non-standard plugs officially but has been using a C7 cord (ironically from an Xbox) for decades with no issues.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like it's confirmed LG will show off a 48" OLED at CES this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/2/2...C5CjKVxZYCgIXXc

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

morestuff posted:

Anyone with a TCL/Roku TV have all their homescreen icons shrink when the new year hit? Makes for easier navigating but it also doesn't seemed correctly sized for the screen

I have software version 9.2.2 build 6106 and don't see this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BonoMan posted:

Looks like it's confirmed LG will show off a 48" OLED at CES this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/2/2...C5CjKVxZYCgIXXc
They've been pimping their NanoCell screens too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FilthyImp posted:

They've been pimping their NanoCell screens too.

I haven't seen any NanoCell in store that has impressed me beyond a standard Sammy or anything else.

On another note, my 55" R625 came in yesterday. Got lucky with the panel lottery... no extreme DSE or Jailbars. Hope that means their QA is better this time around. When I run the gray screen there's some yellow along the sides and bottom edge. Guessing just something backlight related or an optical illusion. Either way it's completely not noticeable at all anywhere else.

It's a nice TV. For $550 I can't complain one bit. Moved the S525 to the bedroom and, for now, my TV journey has come to an end. Until I move in a few months and need to justify an OLED somewhere in the house.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've got about $500 for a new TV and just walked into my local Best Buy to see the 65" TCL Series 6 (2018) on clearance for $499.

Is the 2018 worth it at that price? This year's Series 5 was $470.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
That’s a good deal, I would jump on it as long as it’s new in box and not a return.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Def a good price for a good tv. The 2018 outperforms the 2019 in some regards.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I just paid $600 for it on Black Friday and I'm extremely happy with it. $500 would be a no brainer.
The 65R615 (2018 version, 2019 is 65R625) is still listed as available on their website for $730.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cyks posted:

I just paid $600 for it on Black Friday and I'm extremely happy with it. $500 would be a no brainer.
The 65R615 (2018 version, 2019 is 65R625) is still listed as available on their website for $730.

Doesn't appear to be open box or anything

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, had we not just bought a new furnace I'd buy two of those. Killer deal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place to ask - does anyone have recommendations for a good HDMI switch? I have 3 devices (ideally 4) to plug into my TV with 2 available HDMI ports.

I currently have a 5x1 Monoprice unit (this one) but I’ve only had it a few months and one port is already dead and the others are going a bit flaky. Pretty much everything on the market seems to be a brand I’ve never heard of, any recommendations for one that won’t die in 3 months? I don’t need anything fancy like 4K support at the moment, I’m still on an old 1080p plasma for now.

E: fixed link

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Hello - I’m looking to update from my badly out of date Sony Wega.

Looking at Costco, it seems like the TCL 6 series R613 is pretty good. Anyone have experience with it or any alternate recommendations on what Costco has?

Price point is under $1000 (unless it’s really worth jumping up) and will primarily be using it for gaming and movies in a fairly bright room

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My understanding of HDMI is that it can’t do 120hz. If that’s the case, is there a point in upgrading to a tv that only has HDMI inputs?

I’d like to upgrade my living room tv from a 55 to a 65 this year and it would be cool to get an upgrade in frame rate from my PC without paying out a kidney for a 65 inch gaming monitor.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rolo posted:

My understanding of HDMI is that it can’t do 120hz. If that’s the case, is there a point in upgrading to a tv that only has HDMI inputs?

I’d like to upgrade my living room tv from a 55 to a 65 this year and it would be cool to get an upgrade in frame rate from my PC without paying out a kidney for a 65 inch gaming monitor.

You understand incorrectly. There are different HDMI version numbers with different bandwidth / capabilities.

HDMI version 1.2 added 720p at 120Hz and version 1.3 added 1080p at 120Hz. Both sending and receiving device must support at least the given HDMI version for it to work.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Hello - I’m looking to update from my badly out of date Sony Wega.

Looking at Costco, it seems like the TCL 6 series R613 is pretty good. Anyone have experience with it or any alternate recommendations on what Costco has?

Price point is under $1000 (unless it’s really worth jumping up) and will primarily be using it for gaming and movies in a fairly bright room

The TCL 6 series is the thread's go-to for budget/sweet spot LCD TVs, but scroll up just a bit - apparently at least one Best Buy is putting them on sale for pretty absurd prices. Like the other poster, I got mine for $600 on Black Friday, so $100 less than that is a spectacular deal. The differences between the 2018 and the 2019 model are negligible - you can see rtings for a comparison between the two, or just check my post history. I quoted them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rastor posted:

You understand incorrectly. There are different HDMI version numbers with different bandwidth / capabilities.

HDMI version 1.2 added 720p at 120Hz and version 1.3 added 1080p at 120Hz. Both sending and receiving device must support at least the given HDMI version for it to work.

Oh cool, I must have read something wrong at some point. My goal is 120hz at 1080 so this makes me a little more hopeful.

How standardized are newer HDMI versions in 2019 TVs? I’m looking at a 65” series 8 Samsung that claims 120Hz but nowhere does it mention HDMI version.

Edit: Wouldn’t any 4K tv have to have HDMI 2.0?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 5, 2020