Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
It will pulverize your veggies if you have them in for the same length of time as the chicken. The stew is a better idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Chicken & veg recipe: There is a little bit of effort involved but this was pretty good for what it was:

Instant Pot Hibachi Chicken

It makes for tasty rice bowls. I ate that for a week of lunches and enjoyed it.

Otherwise just go for a stew, yeah.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zerilan posted:

Haven't really used the instant pot I got much as a gift yet, but I am chronically depressed and tend to make the laziest options possible.

If I was just to throw rice, a chicken breast, and some frozen vegetables together in the instant pot, would I need to cook any of them separately first, and how do I determine how much water to use?

Rice:water = 1:1. No idea how long it takes to cook chicken breast in the IP but I bet it will be overcooked.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wormil posted:

Rice:water = 1:1. No idea how long it takes to cook chicken breast in the IP but I bet it will be overcooked.

I found the best rice ratio to be the first cup of rice goes in at 1:1.25 water then 1:1 for any additional rice.

The seven to ten minute low pressure cook for rice might not completely murder the chicken breast, but it will definitely be well done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

toplitzin posted:

I found the best rice ratio to be the first cup of rice goes in at 1:1.25 water then 1:1 for any additional rice.

The seven to ten minute low pressure cook for rice might not completely murder the chicken breast, but it will definitely be well done.

IP directions for white rice are 4 min, low pressure, 1:1. Does 7-10 make it mushy? I've only made rice in the IP once or twice though because I make it so often on the stove that I can do it on autopilot. I wash the rice so I'm probably closer to 1:1.25 too.

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
RICECHAT

I find that 3 minutes, natural release does me perfect. I do 3/4cup rinsed rice to 1cup water.

Put a frozen fish fillet on top of the rice to cook and you have fish rice. I posted the recipe before, it's amazing and stupid easy fast and delicious. Make fish rice. I'm making fish rice tonight.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've made this twice now: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

It tastes great, but both times I've made it it's really stuck to the bottom of my stovetop pressure cooker. After the first time, I tried to avoid it happening again by making sure it was at a vigorous boil before adding the lentils almost immediately before sealing, then stirring, but that seemed to make no difference. Do you think this is due to something I'm doing wrong? Or is it because i'm using red lentils as opposed to another type?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anjow posted:

I've made this twice now:

Try not stirring so the veg is on the bottom. I often use onions as a barrier to prevent other things from sticking.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm, I'll just make it up as I go along.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 20, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
e: wrong thread

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got the Chewbacca 8 qt (actually closer to 6 qt) instant pot for Xmas. What are some of the BEST recipes folks have come upon?

Edit: the Chewbacca chili listed in the recipes has loving SPINACH in it (and no chili’s other than the powder)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The instant pot butter chicken, Google turns up a million results and I don't remember which one is the original
Kenji's green chile pork
Chicken stock in 2 hours, ezpz
I made these baked beans with a few modifications (molasses instead of sugar, 1 ancho and one New Mexico for peppers) and they were good

My only regret of instant pot ownership is that I already own one and couldn't justify buying R2D2

Carillon
May 9, 2014

fr0id posted:

I got the Chewbacca 8 qt (actually closer to 6 qt) instant pot for Xmas. What are some of the BEST recipes folks have come upon?

Edit: the Chewbacca chili listed in the recipes has loving SPINACH in it (and no chili’s other than the powder)

I make variations of this Kenji pressure cooker curry recipe a lot and think it's one of my favorite quick meals.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

This one: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

I heard about this lady and googled to find the original butter chicken recipe. That is what I came up with.

Edit: Yeah seems to be the same.

This is the original Butter Chicken recipe.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Columbian chicken stew.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Life day Chili

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Discussion Quorum posted:

My only regret of instant pot ownership is that I already own one and couldn't justify buying R2D2

You can buy r2d2 wraps on Etsy.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

wormil posted:

You can buy r2d2 wraps on Etsy.

:prepop: So I can have an R2D2 IP and stick it to Disney?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

:prepop: So I can have an R2D2 IP and stick it to Disney?

Might be licensed, not sure, might want to buy while you can just in case.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so that butter chicken recipe...if i were to use chicken breasts, would the 10min cook time be too long? the recipe states the same cooking time for either thigh or breast.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I used breasts and it was fine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I made the butter masala just the other day and liked it a lot but it was so very sweet. As in, it felt like I put in actual sugar. Butter masala does have a sweet taste in general -- at least when compared to other curries -- and I'm sure it comes from the heavy cream which is kinda integral to the recipe but... Any suggestions on dialing down that particular flavour?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Trabant posted:

I made the butter masala just the other day and liked it a lot but it was so very sweet. As in, it felt like I put in actual sugar. Butter masala does have a sweet taste in general -- at least when compared to other curries -- and I'm sure it comes from the heavy cream which is kinda integral to the recipe but... Any suggestions on dialing down that particular flavour?

Try coconut cream instead of milk cream?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wormil posted:

She's asleep but tomorrow I'll ask what recipe she used. I'm sure she googled and used one of the top results, it required vinegar, not rennet.

There was a lot of chat about Cottage Cheese and Yoghurt making in the IP earlier, but I didn't see any endorsements of recipes? Any help. Have googled but plenty of options and I only have the flashiness of the website to go on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Use any old joghurt recipe. Milk and a spoonful or 2 of organic joghurt as a starter usually are all you need.

It should actually be about 2 tbsp of joghurt per Liter of milk, heat milk to 90C let cool to just under 50C and keep at just under 50 C over night.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 28, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does the amount of starter added to the milk actually matter? I've always just added an entire thing of Fage to mine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Heners_UK posted:

There was a lot of chat about Cottage Cheese and Yoghurt making in the IP earlier, but I didn't see any endorsements of recipes? Any help. Have googled but plenty of options and I only have the flashiness of the website to go on.

She said the recipe is just some basic recipe on Google and the most important things are the starter (she recommends Fage but any live plain yogurt will work) and the milk (whole is better than 2%). The rest she said is just following the IP directions for yogurt. After the first batch keep some for starter.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Spikes32 posted:

Try coconut cream instead of milk cream?

Good idea -- thanks!

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Kenji's green chile pork

I haven't made the pork version, but I've done the chicken one and it was awesome

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Turkey necks and backs $0.50/lb

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Does the amount of starter added to the milk actually matter? I've always just added an entire thing of Fage to mine.

I use a quarter cup of my last batch for a half gallon of milk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wormil posted:

Turkey necks and backs $0.50/lb

:shittypop:

I bought a rotisserie chicken(for the first time!), mainly so I could have a whole carcass to get my stock on with tomorrow, I can't wait.

Stock it up then make a fuuuuuckton of chicken congee. :chef:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
How much time should I add if cooking stewing beef from frozen? The recipe as-is calls for fifteen minutes and quick release, then five more minutes (with the rest of the ingredients).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lazyhound posted:

How much time should I add if cooking stewing beef from frozen? The recipe as-is calls for fifteen minutes and quick release, then five more minutes (with the rest of the ingredients).

If you start with tap water it shouldn't matter much if the chunks aren't too big since the meat will be thawed by the time it boils but adding 5 min won't hurt anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I'm cooking hunks of stew meat I do like 40 minutes because I love it super tender.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

Last night I did black eye peas. Sauteed onion, added garlic, sauteed that, added some smoked paprika, then chopped ham, lots of black pepper, pound of dried black eye peas, and 6 cups of chicken stock. Cooked for 17 minutes high pressure then let natural release for 15. Probably cooked have cooked even less time. It was so drat good. I wanted to drink the cooking liquid.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

When I'm cooking hunks of stew meat I do like 40 minutes because I love it super tender.

I do it like this too, I like to shred it like barbacoa but vary the seasonings. Sometimes I use an oxtail preparation, sometimes more of a Mexican seasoning mix, but just salt/pepper/random herbs and spices work too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

Last night I did black eye peas. Sauteed onion, added garlic, sauteed that, added some smoked paprika, then chopped ham, lots of black pepper, pound of dried black eye peas, and 6 cups of chicken stock. Cooked for 17 minutes high pressure then let natural release for 15. Probably cooked have cooked even less time. It was so drat good. I wanted to drink the cooking liquid.

I've never liked black eyed peas but have never made them myself. They have a gritty dry texture that I hate. Is that normal or do most people suck at making them?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I've never liked black eyed peas but have never made them myself. They have a gritty dry texture that I hate. Is that normal or do most people suck at making them?

These were anything but that. Maybe the ones you've had haven't been cooked long enough? Fortunately IP/pressure cooker makes it so you don't even have to soak them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wormil posted:

I make 30+ pots of bean soup per year, in my experience it doesn't matter. Just like salting eggs before cooking doesn't matter.

JoshGuitar posted:

As I understand it, the latest in cutting edge bean science says salt before cooking is fine, but hold off on acidic ingredients until they're cooked or at least pretty far along.

THS posted:

you should definitely salt your beans from the beginning, only acidic stuff has a negative effect.

see: Serious Eats

Reading around for a decent bean chilli recipe. Checked this thread, Serious Eats and Google, but in the latter case, I saw a bunch of all-looks-the-same mummy blogger sites, each one claiming their bean recipe will remove the need or desired to eat any other food ever again for any reason.

Ideally a dump in the pot and leave recipe. Basically my kid loves bean chilli so every so often I make a lake of it in my slow cooker (before I got an IP)