Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Release the Jellicle Cut you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

goodog posted:

I think the extent of their thinking was:

1. Cats has made almost $3 billion on stage
2. The Les Mis movie got 8 Academy nominations while still turning a tidy profit.
3. Get the guy who did Les Mis to adapt a musical that's even more popular.

They thought that this would be a serious Oscars contender. Its why the CGI was so rushed, and why they're competing with Christmas Disney movies. At some point they were talked into thinking that they could replicate the success of Chicago.

I always forget that the stage play was such a huge cultural force for a while. It's been a punchline for my entire life but yeah I guess in its heyday it was basically mega-Hamilton.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly not really sure what to make of this. I actually..don't think it's weird enough to hit the cult / midnight movie status? But it's also still pretty goddamn strange - there's a weird nightmare logic to it and the cat-people are way into the uncanny valley. I thought it was overall ok for what it is, though to be fair I was a theater kid for a while so I'm probably numb to some of it. My biggest gripe is that a solid half of the songs are just middling to bad.

I think it's Red Letter Media who said that the best bad movies are always finding new ways to be bad.

I think with Cats while the premise is weird, the biggest issues stem from the boring and unimaginative direction. It's a barf movie in exactly the same ways throughout. So yeah, once the instant hype surrounding the movie be
gins to fade, I don't think there's any real reason people will come back to it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

General Dog posted:

Release the Jellicle Cut you cowards

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Simplex posted:

I think it's Red Letter Media who said that the best bad movies are always finding new ways to be bad.

I think with Cats while the premise is weird, the biggest issues stem from the boring and unimaginative direction. It's a barf movie in exactly the same ways throughout. So yeah, once the instant hype surrounding the movie be
gins to fade, I don't think there's any real reason people will come back to it.

I disagree, there's plenty of incredibly strange choices through the entire thing. The weird sexuality, the strange faces on the mice and roaches, the bizarre choices made by respected actors like Ian McKellan and Idris Elba, the fact that the cats start mewling in approval at the end of various songs only about halfway into the movie, how drat strange everything looks even once you get past the quality of the CG. And even the generic direction leads to scenes like Judi Dench lecturing the audience for three minutes after the story has already ended.

goodog posted:

2. The Les Mis movie got 8 Academy nominations while still turning a tidy profit.

They thought that this would be a serious Oscars contender. Its why the CGI was so rushed, and why they're competing with Christmas Disney movies. At some point they were talked into thinking that they could replicate the success of Chicago.

This is absolutely what happened, and what makes it so great is that nobody ever thought "wait, maybe an adaptation of one of the greatest novels ever written will translate better to film than a collection of nonsense poetry about cats."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sethsez posted:

And even the generic direction leads to scenes like Judi Dench lecturing the audience for three minutes after the story has already ended.

When I saw Cats, someone in my theater said "What the gently caress?" about a minute into that scene. The entire theater (about 1/8 full) burst into laughter.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Plot spoilers:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

goodog posted:

a funny addendum to this is that Universal had originally slated the adaptation of Wicked, which would translate far more easily to film, for the same release date (it's now coming Christmas 2021)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So help me I’m seeing this before it leaves the theater.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I always forget that the stage play was such a huge cultural force for a while. It's been a punchline for my entire life but yeah I guess in its heyday it was basically mega-Hamilton.

I am not looking forward to the adaptations of Hamilton where ill be screaming at the screens that he was an imperialistic fucker with stupid loving ideas that only got so far because Washington was dense as rocks, that he was lucky Jefferson and Adams didnt neck him, and Aaron Burr did us all a favour.

gently caress Hamilton.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Starring Scarlet Johansson as Hamilton

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Simplex posted:

It helps if you've seen the musical because I have and holy poo poo every change they made from the musical to the movie is baffling. The major addition they added for the movie is scenes of nut shots. The new song is literally a song about how the most sympathetic character in the movie actually doesn't have it bad and that Victoria's life is way worse. Jennyanydots ripping her skin off. Everything about their interpretation of Jennyanydots.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

So help me I’m seeing this before it leaves the theater.

It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen, for better or for worse.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I finally got around to watching the 1998 Direct-to-video recording and I actually liked it a lot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I would argue the lowest point of the movie is the stretch of 3 to 4 songs (somewhere around judi Dench cat appearing to just before train cat) where all the singers are filmed with extreme close ups but otherwise every other part is pure insanity

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm bummed theres no Drafthouse near me so I can drunkwatch this with like-minded strangers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

YggiDee posted:

I finally got around to watching the 1998 Direct-to-video recording and I actually liked it a lot.

Yeah it's still silly as gently caress but it's a lot better than the movie. And it keeps intact the weird racism! Well, some of it. Cats originally had a song called Growltiger's Last Stand (of which about four lines are in the movie) and oh boy TS Eliot was a product of his time with regard to Asian people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lid posted:

I am not looking forward to the adaptations of Hamilton where ill be screaming at the screens that he was an imperialistic fucker with stupid loving ideas that only got so far because Washington was dense as rocks, that he was lucky Jefferson and Adams didnt neck him, and Aaron Burr did us all a favour.

gently caress Hamilton.

You uh, don’t have to do that you know

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

It helps if you've seen the musical because I have and holy poo poo every change they made from the musical to the movie is baffling. The major addition they added for the movie is scenes of nut shots. The new song is literally a song about how the most sympathetic character in the movie actually doesn't have it bad and that Victoria's life is way worse. Jennyanydots ripping her skin off. Everything about their interpretation of Jennyanydots.

Like the stuff they obviously added to make it more of a narrative, makes it work less well as a narrative.

My experience with the show before this was I heard a bit of the soundtrack when I was on a family trip. So, I remember the Gumbie Cat thing. The whole joke being, this lazy cat is actually working hard behind the scenes to be some weird kinda schoolmarm to all the pests. But they still want Rebel Wilson to be clumsy and awkward because that's her thing so that's the whole number. (Also Tom Hooper does not know how to stage a production number at all.)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I went into this without having seen any clips or knowing any details, I don't think I've ever had such a visceral reaction to a movie in my life. Like actual involuntary nervous system responses to the things. Kind of want to see it again but also don't want to see it again. Skimbleshanks was nice.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’d like to see a cut without any of Rebel Wilson and James Cordon’s lovely obviously last minute punched-up “jokes.” It comes close to committing to the insanity that is Cats otherwise.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Jennyanydots and Bustopher Jones bits are pretty awful, and I really didn't think much of Idris Elba and Ian McKellan's singing. However, as mentioned before, Skimbleshanks' routine owns loving bones, and some of the other performances do as well. Grizabella is weird because you have Jennifer Hudson absolutely crushing the song, but her face doesn't really fit quite right on the cat. It's like watching opera as performed by The Annoying Orange.

The bits that were tossed in to make it plausibly 3D didn't help, either.

Also, you get a Judi Dench crotch shot.

All in all, Cats (2019) is a movie of contrasts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you have to keep the judy dench crotch shot

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's the one artistic choice that really gives the people what they want.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's the one artistic choice that really gives the people what they want.

skimbleshanks mustache :3:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

skimbleshanks mustache :3:

Only a true Railway Cat can rock facial hair like that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I liked his Scottish accent in the 1998 version though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, but 2019 has a really awesome tap number. It also represents whistle tips (got that WHOO-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, but 2019 has a really awesome tap number. It also represents whistle tips (got that WHOO-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO).

There is a Skimbleshanks out there for everyone!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Jennyanydots and Bustopher Jones bits are pretty awful, and I really didn't think much of Idris Elba and Ian McKellan's singing. However, as mentioned before, Skimbleshanks' routine owns loving bones, and some of the other performances do as well. Grizabella is weird because you have Jennifer Hudson absolutely crushing the song, but her face doesn't really fit quite right on the cat. It's like watching opera as performed by The Annoying Orange.

The bits that were tossed in to make it plausibly 3D didn't help, either.

Also, you get a Judi Dench crotch shot.

All in all, Cats (2019) is a movie of contrasts.

But the jennyanydots bit is the one with the mice and roaches and the fursuit! That's key to the whole experience!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I knew the bare, bare basics of the musical going in. As in a couple of character names and that The Nanny TV show constantly made fun of it.

The film A+ as a spectacle. I can separate that from the quality of everything else. There is plenty I dislike about the movie - Rebel Wilson, the "Naming of Cats" bit which shouldn't be there at all, the opening Jellicle Cats song.

It's just that the spectacle of it fascinates me so much more and I think I love it.

(Skimbleshanks is awesome.)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

HopperUK posted:

There is a Skimbleshanks out there for everyone!

Skimbleshanks Jellicle Cat is Best Jellicle Cat.

Skellybones posted:

But the jennyanydots bit is the one with the mice and roaches and the fursuit! That's key to the whole experience!

Seeing Jennyanydots repeatedly eat roaches with human faces was incredibly disturbing. That coupled with the green screen made that scene the stuff of nightmares.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
All the composite shots in this film were like the CSO shots in a 70s Doctor Who episode. It’s astonishingly inept.

At this point I assume all the “patches” have gone out but I still saw human hands, rings, at one point a couple of cats are wearing sneakers- and I can’t even tell if those are mistakes because I can’t tell what they’re aiming for. Do they want it to look kinda unreal? Do they want to call attention to the artifice? It’s not committed to an aesthetic so everything just kinda looks wrong.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

When I saw Cats, someone in my theater said "What the gently caress?" about a minute into that scene. The entire theater (about 1/8 full) burst into laughter.

Right after that bit ended someone loudly exclaimed "Wow! That movie really spoke to me!" and got laughs. There were a grand total of 7 people in that theater though.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Whooo Whooooooo is actually a little Starlight Express reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WuvdmGJ-E

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

All the composite shots in this film were like the CSO shots in a 70s Doctor Who episode. It’s astonishingly inept.

At this point I assume all the “patches” have gone out but I still saw human hands, rings, at one point a couple of cats are wearing sneakers- and I can’t even tell if those are mistakes because I can’t tell what they’re aiming for. Do they want it to look kinda unreal? Do they want to call attention to the artifice? It’s not committed to an aesthetic so everything just kinda looks wrong.

There's an interesting video that they released before the trailer dropped that explains some of the performance/choreography choices. They were excited because the movie brought in some of the top performers in ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop dancing. The two cats with sneakers are the hip hop dancers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN4_28J8gAg

TTBF posted:

Right after that bit ended someone loudly exclaimed "Wow! That movie really spoke to me!" and got laughs. There were a grand total of 7 people in that theater though.

lol

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The Whooo Whooooooo is actually a little Starlight Express reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WuvdmGJ-E

You're obviously right, but I'm going pretend that it's a reference to Oakland whistle tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-ADArwXo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Someone in my theater did a loud gasp when Judi Dench told Jennifer Huston she was the Jellicle Choice which was a fantastic gag

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It really was Skimbleshanks who should have got to die

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rum Tum Tugger was about to win and then he'd spend the entire time trying to leave again. Foolishly, one cannot gently caress their way back out of the Heaviside Layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Most of these cats seem pretty happy with their current situation