Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m hoping Doom Eternal has some levels in burned out cities with demons and death everywhere. It’s what Doom 2 tried to have but just looked silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I dunno HP regen was pretty massively influential so it's sort of downplaying it to say it's "just" that. Although Gears of War also likely shares some credit here for helping to popularize it.

skasion posted:

Haze lmfao. also the Killzones

i don't think there are really that many games that are exactly like Halo, it's more that the enormous success of Halo made everyone look to Halo as the reference point of what console shooters "should" be in some way, until Call of Duty became more successful and everyone started to look to that instead.

Yeah that makes sense. No idea what Haze plays like but I really haven't seen other games following it that had a varied mostly non hitscan bestiary, weaponset with fewer ARs than non ARs and mechanics that encouraged aggression on higher difficulties. I guess many "Halo clones" I would mentally categorize as CoD clones and hadn't thought so many predated MW.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

me, hunched over computer, mouse in a death grip, chanting a mantra as I blaze through UV plutonia

rev 2 rockets
manny 3 rockets
CHAINGUN MEET SHOTGUN
kiss the meatball
archviles ain't poo poo but whys and tricks

DisDisDis posted:

Yeah that makes sense. No idea what Haze plays like but I really haven't seen other games following it that had a varied mostly non hitscan bestiary, weaponset with fewer ARs than non ARs and mechanics that encouraged aggression on higher difficulties. I guess many "Halo clones" I would mentally categorize as CoD clones and hadn't thought so many predated MW.

There aren't a great deal like Halo because Bungie was still top poo poo and nobody really had the chops to follow up the non-UI related stuff like huge levels, unique enemy AI, and vehicular combat. The one game that comes to mind is Stranger's Wrath which feels like the devs really took the lessons of Halo and then made their own unique stealth/adventure hybrid built on a strong foundation. There's a couple of other forgettable stuff I wish I never put the time into like 2005's Pariah. Anybody remember that Unreal 2 rear end game?

e: I played way too much of Command and Conquer Renegade which is what I imagine Halo would've been had they kept the third person RTS style gameplay.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I want to bitch about the set piece battle at the Dam with the Apache helicopter in Black Mesa. It takes everything that is annoying about the HECU fights and multiplies it by 10.

In the OG, while the Apache was tough it didn't move particularly fast, and often would hover in place. You could down it with a few well placed Tau cannon shots. Its one of the most famous (and memorable) encounters in the game. It's very challenging, but fun.

In Black Mesa, not only does the Apache never miss (even from a distance) but the drat thing moves very fast, and it never stays still This makes it incredibly hard to hit with a charged Tau canon shot. I've spent the past hour trying to down it but I'm either not hitting it, or the Tau cannon is needing way more hits than it should. Either way, if I'm exposed for more than a split second the fucker shreds through my health/power with its auto-cannon.

Here's another thing. I remember in OG Half-Life you could "escape" it by diving into the lake, and swimming past the Ichthyosaurs, through the turbine, to the canyon below. However in Black Mesa, the Apache can track you while under-water. gently caress. I love this mod and I know the devs wanted to inject some realism and challenge but 'common.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They actually nerfed it from its original incarnation 7 years or so ago where the drat thing took like 15 rockets and basically had no momentum to its movement so it moved like one of those VTOL vehicles straight out of a Marvel film. Can’t remember where I read it but it’s basically invulnerable everywhere but the rotors.

It was meant to be the end to a big set piece but Black Mesa turns it into a boss.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Two Owls posted:

Progress! Of a sort
That's cool as hell. Especially love the banded lighting. How hard is it to translate that code from the custom Amiga hardware to something modern PCs can cope with?

Also: They weren't in the source release, but there's some additional visual goodies in Gloom Deluxe, like a gun sprite for the bottom of the screen. I think it all uses the same compressed file format as the rest of the art if you're handling the original data and not just converting the Deluxe Paint files from the source dump. :v:

chaosapiant posted:

I’m hoping Doom Eternal has some levels in burned out cities with demons and death everywhere. It’s what Doom 2 tried to have but just looked silly.
The very first gameplay demos were in urban ruins that were being "reclaimed" by giant flesh-tentacles.

Looks like the first version of the DUSK SDK is in the home stretch.

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1212574951871537152

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Here's another thing. I remember in OG Half-Life you could "escape" it by diving into the lake, and swimming past the Ichthyosaurs, through the turbine, to the canyon below. However in Black Mesa, the Apache can track you while under-water. gently caress. I love this mod and I know the devs wanted to inject some realism and challenge but 'common.

That's actually not realistic, water is extremely bullet-resistant and in real life the autocannon would not be able to touch you below a couple of meters.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, the Black Mesa marines and vehicles are negative fun to fight, and I'm thankful that the Xen update killed my save against the Surface Tension helicopter because that means I got to skip it without feeling bad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I went into Black Mesa's skill.cfg file and lowered the amount of damage the marines do, in addition to getting a mod that makes them fire in bursts like the original game and it improved the fights against them quite a bit. Not sure there's any helping the apache fights though. I usually just throw on God mode and roll my eyes into the next chapter.

Also, neat detail in System Shock I noticed today: if your fatigue levels are high, weapon recoil fucks with your aim a lot more. You can watch your crosshair jump all over the screen every time you fire.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm halfway through Thy Flesh Consumed on my "Doom Complete Wadsmoosh" run. This poo poo is such a drat challenge, but I'm holding my own so far on Hurt Me Plenty. How does Ultra Violence level Thy Flesh Consumed hold up against some of today's more challenging WADs?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's still a pretty good challenge - going from Hell Beneath to Perfect Hatred can be tough if you're not careful.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good soup! posted:

It's still a pretty good challenge - going from Hell Beneath to Perfect Hatred can be tough if you're not careful.

I'm on the fourth map whichever one that is.

Edit: I also tried that helmet HUD mod or whatever, and though it stretches just a bit, it seems to work just fine on Ultrawide and I thought it was a pretty drat cool addon. Maybe when I get into the next episode I'll add it into my playthrough.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 2, 2020

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The fifth map, They Will Repent, is one of my favorite vanilla Doom maps and I've never been able to pinpoint exactly why

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good soup! posted:

The fifth map, They Will Repent, is one of my favorite vanilla Doom maps and I've never been able to pinpoint exactly why

I'll be running through it tonight, and then I'll come back and tell you why you like it so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man I really want that Die Hard/SWAT game someone dreamed up earlier.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The Kins posted:

That's cool as hell. Especially love the banded lighting. How hard is it to translate that code from the custom Amiga hardware to something modern PCs can cope with?

Also: They weren't in the source release, but there's some additional visual goodies in Gloom Deluxe, like a gun sprite for the bottom of the screen. I think it all uses the same compressed file format as the rest of the art if you're handling the original data and not just converting the Deluxe Paint files from the source dump. :v:

My 68K isn't so hot, but it's well-commented and the simpler functions are easy enough to translate in a "Oh, I see, he's doing a cross-product" way. There's also Blitz Basic source for the map editor, which sped up the actual level decoding.

Some chunks of the renderer are home-rolled though (largely the actual column casting, which is still flaky, and the banding because I'm not farting around with palette remapping in the space year 2020). And I've messed up the coordinate system somewhere, I had to negate things arbitrarily until the enemies stopped moonwalking everywhere. Fortunately there was already some Crunchmania depacking C code on Aminet, so it's all running off the proper game files.

Here's what I've got so far.

You can wander around the first few levels of both Gloom and Gloom Deluxe until you reach THE WHEEL OF DEATH, because I've not implemented rotating walls yet so it's THE BLOCKING STATIONARY OBJECT OF DEATH.
The demo on Aminet doesn't work without a hack, they seem to have change the event handling at some point.
Zombie Massacre (now free on Aminet) doesn't work as it uses a hacked exe. Gloom 3/Ultimate Gloom (also now on Aminet) does, but you can only access the first room as, again, I haven't coded the moving wall event yet.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I’m hoping Doom Eternal has some levels in burned out cities with demons and death everywhere.

The initial gameplay reveals have had exactly that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just finished episode 4 and now onto Sigil. Is there any reason why the first level in Sigil would be missing the texture for the exit "wall"?

Edit: Also, what's the consensus on Rage 2? Was it any good? Does it have the solid rear end shooting that Rage has? I understand it's not on IdTech which gives me pause.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 3, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Just finished episode 4 and now onto Sigil. Is there any reason why the first level in Sigil would be missing the texture for the exit "wall"?
SIGIL was updated at one point to add a new texture graphic for the exit wall. I haven't used WadSmoosh in ages, so I dunno if they updated that to account for it, but they probably have tbh.

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Also, what's the consensus on Rage 2? Was it any good? Does it have the solid rear end shooting that Rage has? I understand it's not on IdTech which gives me pause.
It's not awful, but it suffers from a bad case of open-world repetition.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Very good combat, middling-to-bad everything else. I still pretty much 100%ed it on the basis of its shooting tho. Never got any of its DLC.

E:well good graphics too, natch

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

Like the others have said: Solid shooting, but very "rear-loaded" gameplay that requires a fair amount of time investment before you unlock the weapons and abilities that allow you to really prowl the game like some kind of superpowered lunatic. Once that happens, it's one of the fastest and most frenetic FPS games I've played in years.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe I’ll check it out when it’s on sale again.

Also, I found out this evening about Doom 64 Retribution. Anyone play that? I went through the first three levels and love it! I use an ultrawide screen and the 64 EX doesn’t look like it supports it, and the frame rate is a bit stutters for me. The Retribution mod runs flawlessly in GZ Doom and seems to be a faithful recreation.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Man I really want that Die Hard/SWAT game someone dreamed up earlier.
theres a fan made nakatomi plaza mission for SWAT 3 that owns iirc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rage 2 is on gamepass.

Its got decent shooting but suffers terribly from being a team that obviously took everything they could from Mad Max and slapped it into an FPS and not like, improving or changing much. Its a game that was failed in the design phase.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

chaosapiant posted:

The Retribution mod runs flawlessly in GZ Doom and seems to be a faithful recreation.

It isn't by a country mile. If you want faithful and EX is giving you trouble (though even EX turned out to have some curious inaccuracies, though much more subtle), wait for the upcoming re-release comes march along side Eternal (recent livestream confirmed it'll be sold individually as well). Yeah I realise I'm probably a biased source, but then I'm also best source of info. :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

It isn't by a country mile. If you want faithful and EX is giving you trouble (though even EX turned out to have some curious inaccuracies, though much more subtle), wait for the upcoming re-release comes march along side Eternal (recent livestream confirmed it'll be sold individually as well). Yeah I realise I'm probably a biased source, but then I'm also best source of info. :v:

Can you confirm whether there will be a standalone release not tied to a Doom Eternal pre-order please?

edit: :doh:

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 3, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Convex posted:

Can you confirm whether there will be a standalone release not tied to a Doom Eternal pre-order please?

In the very post you quoted,

Rocket Pan posted:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1212729719390523397

lol at not having several pirated versions of doom2.wad

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1212729719390523397

lol at not having several pirated versions of doom2.wad

Why would there be a different exe? id games never had copy protection until Quake III.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

Why would there be a different exe? id games never had copy protection until Quake III.
...lol at not possessing several different versions of doom2.exe?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So I can no longer found the video but I heard a song in a DOOM video that I'm pretty sure is from Doom as it has that classic DOOM music song to it. But it's a sort of slow creepy and I can't find it on any OST. It does that thing where the notes go up in pitch and then hits an apex and starts down and that's the basic feel of it,

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barudak posted:

Rage 2 is on gamepass.

Its got decent shooting but suffers terribly from being a team that obviously took everything they could from Mad Max and slapped it into an FPS and not like, improving or changing much. Its a game that was failed in the design phase.

I noted this in a different thread recently, but it's funny how Rage 2 is a sandbox with a pointless attempt at a story, whereas Rage 1 is a story with a pointless attempt at a sandbox.

Rage 2 is a great fit for a subscription model like Game Pass, but I'd be wary about actually buying it unless it drops to 5 bucks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

According to the Twitter thread (and the original DEHACKED tool's EXE detection stuff), that specific pirated version was a pre-release leak.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1212841641456754688

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I never got to play Rage 2 because it utterly refuses to work on my computer and I waited too long for Avalanche to patch the loving thing but they never did so now I can't get a refund. <:mad:>

Okay y'all, tell me your favorite classic FPS song remixes.

I'm currently obsessed with Crushing Headache, remix of the track that plays in The Crusher from Doom II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQON7uZJC4

And Jade Spawn from Ep 2 of Ultimate Doom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAh-aX68ik

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

chaosapiant posted:

The shooting is extremely good. The rest of the game is mostly not.
Kickass Mick Gordon soundtrack though - it's basically him doing a Doom 2016 version of Fury Road's OST.

It's on Gamepass so you can play it for 1 buck.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kchama posted:

So I can no longer found the video but I heard a song in a DOOM video that I'm pretty sure is from Doom as it has that classic DOOM music song to it. But it's a sort of slow creepy and I can't find it on any OST. It does that thing where the notes go up in pitch and then hits an apex and starts down and that's the basic feel of it,

I'm pretty sure you're describing "Sign Of Evil" from E1M8 (and others) so hopefully the song title will help you find it. Not sure why you wouldn't already have been able to find it on any OST though, it's pretty iconic...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kchama posted:

You mean basic eight-bar blues thing?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm currently obsessed with Crushing Headache, remix of the track that plays in The Crusher from Doom II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQcneb7fiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X3kSf2rrg

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Kchama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbh3ZYuTBDY Is it Opening to Hell?

These are so fucken good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Let's do a little genre-hopping, shall we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTyyCfT2VI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73XBn-Eoek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QkJtxu608
Hidden Soundcloud links within the Youtube embeds!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUBHduQPfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwK3gq9_Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HyjHVPPXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A bout of insomnia over the holidays led me to finally finish Blood (admittedly only on Lightly Broiled), which in turn sent me on a Build Engine kick. I also had fun with the Alien Armageddon Duke mod over the weekend. Jump kicks should be in every game. Classic Shadow Warrior is now the last of the big three that I've never finished, but that game just chews me up way faster than Blood or Duke ever did.

I wish I could play a version of Ion Fury not made by scumbags :(