Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Three Houses: Mission Accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

not a bot posted:

Also amazing to say the war was "forced" by the ones the war was declared on. I wonder if I've heard that rhetoric somewhere before.

KittyEmpress posted:

"When I unilaterally attacked a neutral third party

ah yes the secret dragons who run the continent, oppress people and do weird dragon blood and crest experiments; truly a neutral third party

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
My favorite is when you have Flayn fight her and she goes all you're one of THEM you cannot be allowed power over Fodlan and it's like bitch it's loving Flayn YOU WERE THERE you know she only cares about fishing and loving

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

indigi posted:

ah yes the secret dragons who run the continent, oppress people and do weird dragon blood and crest experiments; truly a neutral third party

Rip the republic of whatever it was called

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rhea: So children you're going on a field trip today. You're going to help murder an entire region because their lord says I suck. I want you to personally oversee all the executions and ensure no one survives so you learn what happens if you ever think of going again me, I mean the Church.

Totally a just and pure ruler of a continent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eimi posted:

Rhea: So children you're going on a field trip today. You're going to help murder an entire region because their lord says I suck. I want you to personally oversee all the executions and ensure no one survives so you learn what happens if you ever think of going again me, I mean the Church.

I don't think anyone would have cared except for all the invading of everything that's not a lovely monastery

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*minor lord from the Kingdom raises an army for the express purpose of toppling the church and killing the archbishop as an unwitting pawn of the villains of the game who lead the Empire*

Church: We stop them

Empire: THIS IS OPPRESSION I AM BEING OPPRESSED THIS CANNOT STAND

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
whatever else she is (traumatised teenager with trust issues cute, powerful and cool) edelgard is a genuine revolutionary fighting against a rotten and exploitative status quo and thus has my sympathies by default

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Rip the republic of whatever it was called
I didn't know Carsino was in this game. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know who else argued for liberation from a religious group they claimed secretly control the world

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Eimi posted:

Nevermind the whole "marching an army out there to start a fight at that very moment" part. Or that they knew he had been saying they suck for a good while now and did nothing about it.

I'd also say she's more influential around the continent rather than actually ruling it, but that may be a semantic thing depending on the person.

Also I'm not sure where the "kill the entire region" part comes from. That's sort of out of the blue.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying Rhea is a great or even particularily benevolent ruler. There seems to be a weird and almost creepy obsession some people have with Edelgard and are just making stuff up so that others would become obsessed with the character as well.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
"Hopefully this will teach the students the foolishness of ever raising a blade against the church." is probably not the sign of a kind and benevolent pope IMO

also she's just like a creepo in general, so

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

not a bot posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Rhea is a great or even particularily benevolent ruler. There seems to be a weird and almost creepy obsession some people have with Edelgard and are just making stuff up so that others would become obsessed with the character as well.

it's because she owns, op

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Perfect Potato posted:

*minor lord from the Kingdom raises an army for the express purpose of toppling the church and killing the archbishop as an unwitting pawn of the villains of the game who lead the Empire*

Church: We stop them

Empire: THIS IS OPPRESSION I AM BEING OPPRESSED THIS CANNOT STAND

The whole reason said minor lord was able to be goaded into attacking the Church was because the Curch knowingly lied and scapegoated his son for Duscar, then summarily executed him without trial or input from his own Kingdom.

Rhea and the Church are completely hosed and have the continent at their mercy, Edelgard did nothing wrong.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Most of the Edelgard fans are pretty obviously shitposting, which is exactly the response this discourse deserves

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

Most of the Edelgard fans are pretty obviously shitposting, which is exactly the response this discourse deserves
Progress through shitposting. :black101:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not a bot posted:

its a video game

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

not a bot posted:

One of the core issues with the story is that the Church doesn't actually do anything (even Rhea's unethical experiments are hilariously whitewashed by the game itself) and even in lore there's very little to paint much of a picture of anything.

-formed Empire
-built a canal for the Empire
-mediated peace so the Empire wouldn't get Loog'd
-southern church at one point existed
-Empire cut ties with church (and yet still somehow exists despite its horribly oppressive rule...interdasting...)
-slipped a legitimate assassination attempt into the Duscur story on the downlow

Like that's pretty much it. So it's no surprise that some people start making up insane poo poo about suppressing technology or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you dont like edelgard thats fine and if you think shes in the wrong thats also a fine read and if you wanna discuss that go ahead but there's pretty obviously a difference between 'personally i like claude/dimitri more/think they're more right' and 'edelgard is literally hitler'

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Posting is praxis

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
actually, wait, hang on, can we talk about the fact that an important historical figure from the Kingdom of Faerghus was named Loog. I feel like that gets glossed over a lot. Who came up with that name, even.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Edie and Rhea need to settle this with a duel at a neutral location. Dimitri can stand by to ensure fair play. The Slithers can nuke the gathering, Hubert can track them home, and Claude and Rodrigue can clear out the undercity. Flayn and Seteth can go back to anonymous fishing in peace.

Actually, is there any evidence of Slither non-combatants? We see a city with about 20 fighters in it, and a whole lot of empty space.

Oberndorf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 2, 2020

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

if you dont like edelgard thats fine and if you think shes in the wrong thats also a fine read and if you wanna discuss that go ahead but there's pretty obviously a difference between 'personally i like claude/dimitri more/think they're more right' and 'edelgard is literally hitler'

How about all the lord are shitbirds and no matter who ends up winning the continent is going to the dogs?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nrook posted:

I am only shitposting about things I also believe.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Eimi posted:

same. imo, ironic shitposting is the cowards path

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

not a bot posted:

How about all the lord are shitbirds and no matter who ends up winning the continent is going to the dogs?

All the lords are really cool and likable and give me hope for the future of the franchise

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

not a bot posted:

This. Edelgard even demonstrates in the very first mission!

That said no opinion is wrong, except for the ones who think it's bad writing for characters to not join Edelgard. Everyone in the BE house has good reason to go 'you know, Edelgard is wrong'. Conversely, everyone not of the BE house has good reason to join Edelgard if you recruit them. Strength of character writing, right there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eimi posted:

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

same. imo, ironic shitposting is the cowards path

:yeah:

I think to be totally fair, you could theoretically hold Edelgard responsible for any atrocities committed by TWSitD upon her assumption of the throne. maybe she shouldn't have moved on the church until she had everything under control.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ROFL Octopus posted:

All the lords are really cool and likable and give me hope for the future of the franchise

This is true as well. Also FE expo will be held again this year so hoping there is new stuff lined up!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My only real complaint with TH is that it looks and runs worse than Radiant Dawn which came out over 12 years before it. I realize this is their first full 3D game in a long time though and also they were jumping to the switch for the first time, so I have high hopes for whatever their next entry is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a rumor that a lot of the main intsys team was working on an fe4 remake hence why koei tecmo did so much of this game

dunno if i buy it but they have to be working on something, so

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well I do want an fe4 remake so I hope it's true

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It would be an obvious follow up to 3H, given the themes and story they have in common.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I wish that to be the case (because the Jugdral games are my loving jam), didn't FEH make a fuckload of bank in 2019 too? I'm guessing it doesn't require super extensive stuff on IntSys' side but there's probably motivation now that the series is profitable to maintain it going and such.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wark Say posted:

While I wish that to be the case (because the Jugdral games are my loving jam), didn't FEH make a fuckload of bank in 2019 too? I'm guessing it doesn't require super extensive stuff on IntSys' side but there's probably motivation now that the series is profitable to maintain it going and such.

FEH has been maintained by the same staff for like 3 years now, it's not a game that requires a huge staff specifically from Intsys.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm guessing most of the heavy lifting is done by DeNA at this point and whoever batch of peeps from IntSys worked on Book IV. As someone who has to do automating on a shitload of backend stuff, it's not ridiculously labor-intensive so yeah, point.

The one thing I keep thinking is interesting is how most of the work on Fates and Echoes was done almost at the same time because apparently the idea Nintendo/IntSys/both had is that Echoes was originally supposed to come soon after Fates (late 2015), but, in retrospect I'm kinda glad it didn't, because Fates kinda burned me out real bad on the franchise.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
tbh I think part of the reason why the ~discourse~ is so weird is because the lords are all kind of weird themselves, so people end up cherry-picking the parts they like and ignoring the parts they don't.

I tend to prefer Edelgard's general disposition and she seems the most outwardly sensible of the three, but many of her actions don't really make sense (and yes, are quite shady). So what's her deal?

Dimitri has the Power of Friendship on his side, and yet still completely loses his mind (and IMO gets off way too easily for the poo poo he pulls) for questionable reasons. So what's his deal?

Claude is likeable and pragmatic, but weirdly overambitious (and arguably unreliable); you end up getting the sense that you're aiming way too high and lucking into a good outcome. So what's his deal?

And I don't get Rhea in general.

Whereas the rest of the students usually are more coherent characters, though maybe just because they don't have to make any choices.

I guess you could argue that it's realistic that as people they have flaws, but it feels wonky. Ironically the slithers are the easiest faction to understand (:supaburn:).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sydin posted:

The whole reason said minor lord was able to be goaded into attacking the Church was because the Curch knowingly lied and scapegoated his son for Duscar, then summarily executed him without trial or input from his own Kingdom.

Rhea and the Church are completely hosed and have the continent at their mercy, Edelgard did nothing wrong.

Rhea being evil doesn't make Edelgard good simply because she opposes her.

They're both assholes, and both are consigned to the dustbin of history in Azure Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Rhea being evil doesn't make Edelgard good simply because she opposes her.

They're both assholes, and both are consigned to the dustbin of history in Azure Moon.

Where instead you support a psychotic butcher who shouldn't be allowed within spitting distance of power.