Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What co-op games are really good to play with two switches in the same house?

Mario maker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

The challenge in Yoshi primarily comes from trying to 100% the levels, all flowers/red coins, finishing with full health, that kind of stuff. If that appeals to you, it’s solid.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this for Crafted World. It’s really miserable and a grind to 100%.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought finding the hidden stuff was fun. Like an interactive I Spy book.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm about at the end of the "normal story" of DQ11, I'm aware that there's a post game story, but I've also heard the difficulty ratchets up a bit. I don't really feel like grinding my rear end off to do this post game stuff, am I going to have to? My characters are all 46-48 and I'm in the middle of the last dungeon.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the game is that I haven't had to grind out levels, just made sure to fight some monsters along the way to any given thing and it's worked out fine. If I'm gonna have to juice a bunch of levels for the post-game I may just skip it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ouhei posted:

So I'm about at the end of the "normal story" of DQ11, I'm aware that there's a post game story, but I've also heard the difficulty ratchets up a bit. I don't really feel like grinding my rear end off to do this post game stuff, am I going to have to? My characters are all 46-48 and I'm in the middle of the last dungeon.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the game is that I haven't had to grind out levels, just made sure to fight some monsters along the way to any given thing and it's worked out fine. If I'm gonna have to juice a bunch of levels for the post-game I may just skip it.

The best way to think of it is like Chrono Trigger's endgame. You've got a bunch of nominally optional side quests and things to do that develop more of the story and characters and coincidentally give you the last bunch of levels you'd need for the finale.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

tuo posted:

Yeah, I though the same. The game is super polished (typical Nintendo first party game quality) in the first two thirds, but I encountered quite a few small "glitches" at the end. Nothing game breaking, but for example broken animations/rigging during cutscenes (Luigi going through animations while his head was still in the "Gooigi is activated" sleep mode), bosses who suddenly stopped their talking animation, and a lot of funny stuff going on when you have to go back to b2 to save toad.

I'd still recommend it to everyone, but the last part of the game feels like it could have used a bit more polish.

Hah! I missed out on having any funny bugs during a cinematic. Once though the physics went wack in an area and it sounded 100% like the hotel was making some awesome jungle beat so I was looking all over trying to find a secret room of ghosts who were making the music...but alas it ended up being some object caught banging around in geometry.

Any sour feelings I have of the game really come after I 100%ed the game and can get jaded about it now in hindsight. Still an absolute gem.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

What co-op games are really good to play with two switches in the same house?

This is an extremely embarrassing response, but Fortnite could actually be really fun. If you play Duos (teams of 2) with someone in the same house you could probably win a ton of games pretty easily.

For all of its faults, Fortnite actually has amazing controller options and lets you fine-tune gyro aiming. I spent a long time adjusting the gyro until it felt perfect, and now I'm winning easily 1/4 of the games I join and overall having lots of fun, all without spending a cent (nor will I ever spend a cent on this). I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't use gyro aiming at all, and it gives you an absurd advantage.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I really wish Square would port Legend of Mana to the Switch.

Same.

I wonder if they plan to continue doing remakes after Trials? A Legend of Mana remake would be amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Polo-Rican posted:

This is an extremely embarrassing response, but Fortnite could actually be really fun. If you play Duos (teams of 2) with someone in the same house you could probably win a ton of games pretty easily.

For all of its faults, Fortnite actually has amazing controller options and lets you fine-tune gyro aiming. I spent a long time adjusting the gyro until it felt perfect, and now I'm winning easily 1/4 of the games I join and overall having lots of fun, all without spending a cent (nor will I ever spend a cent on this). I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't use gyro aiming at all, and it gives you an absurd advantage.

I should have mentioned the other switch haver in my house is my 6 year old kid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ah, a bit old for Fortnite then

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

My girlfriend's 6 year old son loves fortnite and does all the dance moves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Polo-Rican posted:

What controllers settings are you using? I’ve been struggling to find comfortable sensitivity and gyro settings.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SeANMcBAY posted:

What controllers settings are you using? I’ve been struggling to find comfortable sensitivity and gyro settings.

i'll take a screencap of my settings when I get home tonight. It also feels a lot better with a pro controller.

Your kid can just hide in an attic while you defend them with a shotgun. Sounds like a blast! Name your accounts Kid and Kid's Dad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I really wish Square would port Legend of Mana to the Switch.

Yeah, that's one of my most replayed games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

The best way to think of it is like Chrono Trigger's endgame. You've got a bunch of nominally optional side quests and things to do that develop more of the story and characters and coincidentally give you the last bunch of levels you'd need for the finale.

Chrono Trigger is really the best JRPG still. I'd love to get it on Switch. I treasure my DS cartridge so much.

Tender Bender posted:

I agree that the Animal Crossing real-time thing can be a pain, but it's also like the defining feature of the game? If you just want to live short days out of sync with reality there are a lot of other games that are more interesting imo.

Is there any with equally charming and annoying animal neighbors who give you music as you stuff all the other wildlife into a museum?

Mr Snips posted:

I've enjoyed all the animal crossing games I've played but the biggest flaw is how the real time cycle ends up burning me out on the game far quicker than anything else, because at some point it becomes a chore having to play it every day to prevent my favourite villagers from loving off forever

I am glad that my sentiment resonated with people. I felt like the only one for a bit.

Bust Rodd posted:

Animal Crossing is popular because it’s the only way anyone below the age of 35 will ever experience what it’s like to climb out of debt

:smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In DQ11 learn about the power that makes enemies into metal slimes and the one that multiples your experience.

You can grind to 99 in a couple hours doing this when you're in the 60s/70s, but you don't need to. Just rotate the people you need pepped up out naturally and do the combo whenever everyone happens to be pepped up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

Animal Crossing is popular because it’s the only way anyone below the age of 35 will ever experience what it’s like to climb out of debt

Hell the fact that the Villager gets on the property ladder at all is inspiring.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has anyone played EarthNight? I like the visual style a lot but I worry that it will be a little too Sonic-y for my tastes. Stylish but perhaps not substantive.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My brother is visiting from Montana. He’s in forestry, so he’s been having a blast with Mudrunner.

He rolled his picker and said “Oh crap, my boss is going to be pissed”

It’s a good game. Like the Dark Souls of logging.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has he played firewatch? It’s the dark souls of the rural version of the movie Her.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

what's the best king of fighters on switch?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VileLL posted:

98 or 2002 I’d say. I wish KOF 13 was on Switch and then I’d say that one.

Polo-Rican posted:

i'll take a screencap of my settings when I get home tonight. It also feels a lot better with a pro controller.

Thanks. Please do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ouhei posted:

The dq11 postgame is actually the third act of the story so you're not allowed to skip it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The last third of DQ11 is the best part of the game in terms of story and gameplay, don't skip it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heath posted:

Has anyone played EarthNight? I like the visual style a lot but I worry that it will be a little too Sonic-y for my tastes. Stylish but perhaps not substantive.

I have it, and enjoy playing it! However, I think it objectively leans more to the "stylish" end of the scale, it is ultimately still an auto runner, and falls prey to the unavoidable problems of that genre. Missing a jump can leave you in the lower, less interesting rungs of a level, and failing to grab something like a laser-reflecting shield power-up can leave you eating poo poo in the subsequent stretch of laser spewing fat guys. The controls are good, and you have enough jump and air control options that mistakes feel like your own, but the level design can get a bit too hairy and it can all feel a little luck based, especially in the final, hardest levels.

On the good side, the visuals are never not appealing, and the soundtrack is really good. The individual levels are short and pithy, and the the structure of a run allowing you to choose which kind of dragons you want to land on and kill for their crafting components is satisfying enough that I keep coming back to play more.

EarthNight is the only auto runner I've ever played that I would actually recommend to anyone, but it's definitely of a lighter, flashier arcade style feel. Buy it full price if you're really into twitch platforming, or if you really love the game's visual presentation. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll be mentioning it in this thread again if I ever see it in a sale someday.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Looking at the coming soon section and I don't think I have the tiniest amount of faith in No More Heroes 3 being anything but complete garbage which is pretty depressing. I used to get excited about new Suda51 games

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I need a super chill co op game that I can play at home with my girlfriend. I tried to play Overcooked with her and she got really stressed. So probably something puzzlish but without time pressure or whatever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ineptmule posted:

I need a super chill co op game that I can play at home with my girlfriend. I tried to play Overcooked with her and she got really stressed. So probably something puzzlish but without time pressure or whatever.

Kirby's Star Allies

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

morallyobjected posted:

Kirby's Star Allies

This is a good choice for chill co-op, as are Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 on the SNES app

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
dont let your 6 year old play games where you shoot people, you sicko

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I got Unravel 2 in the sale recently and it seems like a good chill out game. There's platforming in it but you can use the thread between the two players to climb to them or just ride them for the trickier parts. Everything has been nice music and underground/garden scapes.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ineptmule posted:

i didn't read other posts but captain toad.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ineptmule posted:

Snipperclips.

My girlfriend doesn't really play games but she gelled with it immediately and we played right through it.

night slime
May 14, 2014

VileLL posted:

98 or 2002 are the most popular, but I think 00 and 99 are pretty good experiences as well. Warning that these games don't come with a training mode which is kind of disappointing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
when they were on sale i bought KoF 2000 cuz I saw a clip of a level that was a big aquarium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrQLRCwM1Ds&t=518s
look at that...GREAt vibes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All my time is going towards Breath of the Wild now lol 🙃

I'm not complaining, though. I'm enjoying it! It's hard as gently caress, though. I feel like I need to find/complete all the shrines I can to get enough health/stamina for some of these fights.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Beastie posted:

My brother is visiting from Montana. He’s in forestry, so he’s been having a blast with Mudrunner.

He rolled his picker and said “Oh crap, my boss is going to be pissed”

It’s a good game. Like the Dark Souls of logging.

haha

I bought the game when it was on sale because I figured there'd be something I'd love from it but when I started I couldn't shake the thought of "nah come on this isn't fun! you're just slowly driving a vehicle around in a buncha mud and getting it unstuck sometimes....whats the point?"

but it got into ma bones anyways :supaburn:

the logs must be delivered :twisted:

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

haha

I bought the game when it was on sale because I figured there'd be something I'd love from it but when I started I couldn't shake the thought of "nah come on this isn't fun! you're just slowly driving a vehicle around in a buncha mud and getting it unstuck sometimes...."

but then it got into ma bones :supaburn:

the logs must be delivered :twisted:

The same happened to me. If I have 20 minutes to play, I will be hauling logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I poke into the multiplayer mode sometimes and it half often seems like theres some game going. attach a wireless usb keyboard to the switch so that typing isn't a pain in the rear end and its can prove to be an alright thing!

eg it ends up usually being a few people mutually slowly satisfyingly slogging through things to some objective but :shrug:

its proved OK