Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hixson posted:

Happy new year everyone. I've been really bad at hobbying the past month; but i did pretty ok for the year. Heres all my painted models of 2019:

These may be the best night lords I've ever seen. The blue-black fade is just perfect, and the freehand lightning bolts are also perfect.

Looks just like off the cover of The Dark Knight Returns! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
First mini of 2020. Lot of contrasts on here, pretty happy with the face for once. This one has eyes!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

These may be the best night lords I've ever seen. The blue-black fade is just perfect, and the freehand lightning bolts are also perfect.

I flew 5k miles to pick these up and try to find a problem with them and couldn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brightened up the Ork skin, pretty happy with how it came out color-wise. Its a bit blotchy but painting flesh is hard and I haven't painted in a year. I could feel myself remembering things and getting better at my technique as I went. The next batch of Boyz should have cleaner skin and better highlights. But its a start.

The jackets I decided to highlight with Evil Suns Scarlet which came out pretty orange-red, which you can't really see in the picture (continue to struggle with miniature photography, cell phone camera not cutting the mustard) so I think I'm going to highlight the jackets in Wazdakka Red instead from now on. I want to keep them really maroon / cherry-red in order to keep them distinct from actual Evil Sunz.

Also considering swapping the sky blue for a deep purple but I don't know how well I can pull that off. But, hey, may as well try on one eh?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I've started on the MESBG fellowship I got for Christmas, these models are nicer than I expected for how small and old they are.

Also good gravy Hobbits are so small.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
First miniature of 2020 this afternoon, and my first time actually being happy with dark skin tones. I think that this year I'd like to get better at using technical effects, like weathering, blood, etc. Not bad though, for 3 hours on a lazy Wednesday.

Also model is from Lion Tower Miniatures on Patreon, printed by me at home. I have gone waaaayy down the 3d printed model rabbit hole, and it owns so much.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah the highlighting across dude’s back looks real nice to me

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Been working on some Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff, I like them a lot but it's a bit slow going since there's almost no batch painting.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40k thread.

JackMann posted:

Starting the new year with some tankbustas. I may have started in on Iron Hands, but I haven't forgotten my orky roots.

Also did a speed paint on a Bones Ogre.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Been working on some Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff, I like them a lot but it's a bit slow going since there's almost no batch painting.

Yessss more MCP stuff. Looks good!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Badger Birthday sale thing is 3 days from now. All I've got is a Patriot. What should I get for my second airbrush? Krome or Sotar?

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 2, 2020

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The Badger Birthday sale thing is 3 days from now. All I've got is a Patriot. What should I get for my second airbrush? Krome or Sotar?

They’re essentially identical in performance as well as internally. The difference is really in the feel: you hold/trigger a Sotar 20/20 closer to the tip than you do with a Krome Renegade.

I prefer the Sotar because when I do detail short linework when drawing I usually hold my pencil/pen closer to the tip.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TTerrible posted:

I flew 5k miles to pick these up and try to find a problem with them and couldn't.

Did you at least spot the bit he missed?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After getting some of the internet (rightly) enraged over their behaviour, Green Stuff Games put out a statement

https://twitter.com/greenstuffworld/status/1212449060403253248?s=20

We're really sorry we screwed up. Please forgive us!

(I won't, seeing how they acted when they were talking to her before it became public).

I do feel a bit sorry for them, but seeing as they still claim to trademark a common and in public use term already, too bad guys. Too bloody bad.

Someone or something has gone through and deleted a lot of the review comments on Facebook. Uh Oh. No pity now.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 2, 2020

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Comstar posted:

After getting some of the internet (rightly) enraged over their behaviour, Green Stuff Games put out a statement

https://twitter.com/greenstuffworld/status/1212449060403253248?s=20

We're really sorry we screwed up. Please forgive us!

(I won't, seeing how they acted when they were talking to her before it became public).

I do feel a bit sorry for them, but seeing as they still claim to trademark a common and in public use term already, too bad guys. Too bloody bad.

Someone or something has gone through and deleted a lot of the review comments on Facebook. Uh Oh. No pity now.

Black magic craft just posted about how we should all learn to forgive, not be negative, that it was such a great apology and there community should put it behind us and poo poo. He's the white Canadian guy that gets pissy at anyone getting "political" on his forums, getting pretty loving sick of him.

Edit: they closed the fascist thread I guess, this probably isn't the place for a big derail, I'm just getting so exhausted with big name idiots in this hobby

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Four splintered fang peeps done.

I love contrast paints.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’m not fully aware of the YouTube part of the GSW issue but in terms of the trademark I’m not seeing a major problem. GSW’s Colorshifts have been around for a while and Vallejo should have done their due diligence, they’re large and old enough to know better.

In terms of it being a common word, it’s about as dumb a thing to trademark as Contrast and you better believe GW would hound anyone trying to encroach on it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Ilor posted:

These are legit some of the best demons I've ever seen. The blending is butter-smooth and gorgeous.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

TTerrible posted:

Except for you. Quit sucking up

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm running low on my massive super glue supply and am wondering what brand/style you all prefer and why? I usually just use the traditional stuff, but I see enough people mention the gel variety (which I have never used) that I figured it would be worth doing a general product check before I restock.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Gel's kind of nice because it generally stays where you put it, as opposed to running out of the joints of your model and gluing you to it. If you don't tend to get glue on your hands, keep using what you're using.

I generally use Loctite, but I've gotten some bad tubes that don't adhere for crap, too. Cyanoacrylate is honestly pretty fungible. Get a cheap, small tube or dropper and don't worry if you don't use it all before it goes bad.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

nesbit37 posted:

I'm running low on my massive super glue supply and am wondering what brand/style you all prefer and why? I usually just use the traditional stuff, but I see enough people mention the gel variety (which I have never used) that I figured it would be worth doing a general product check before I restock.

Basically anything gel that I can find locally. The loctite gel one is good but it gums up the nozzle after a few uses in my experience, cutting the nozzle down each time with sprue cutters helps, but it’s a pain when it happens.

I prefer gel vs liquid because you can place the gel with little risk of it dripping or running by accident.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Except for you. Quit sucking up

Hixson, from the bottom of my heart. I'm sorry you suck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeah with my loctite bottle I have to drill a new hole after a while because it just gets so gummed up. Or just try to push a needle through the gummed up part.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've gone through a couple of bottles of Army Painter brand super glue now, and neither have had any problems drying out. It's not quite a gel, but doesn't run, has a long and precise applicator tip, and work great with their activator spray. At $5 for 24g it's pricey, but I've probably been less cost efficient in the past with countless dried out bottles of loctite.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've been using Gorilla Glue superglue. It's not really better than any other brand I've tried, but it does the job and it's easy to find.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
fyi this is the pack I usually buy, just about to finish out the current one hence shopping around:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Glue-15187-12-Pack/dp/B000LGPD64/

The stuff is fine but I had some issues with it assembling some of the new necromunda models, just because of how tiny (and how many) pieces were it would occasionally run a little bit. Normally that wasn't a problem but when gluing a hand to a forearm, which seems ridiculously unnecessary by the way, it would sometimes get glued more to me than what I wanted it glued to. I also had to use accelerant on some of the plastic models which is usually not needed. Will probably get another of these packs and some gel superglue to try out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

richyp posted:

Basically anything gel that I can find locally. The loctite gel one is good but it gums up the nozzle after a few uses in my experience, cutting the nozzle down each time with sprue cutters helps, but it’s a pain when it happens.

I prefer gel vs liquid because you can place the gel with little risk of it dripping or running by accident.

Yeah, this straight up. If I use liquid superglue I'm gonna end the day with sticky fingers. If I use gel superglue I end the day completely clean a-ok. Way easier to get the gel in place and keep it there.

Especially the new ones with the squeezer bottle. Just works perfect. Yeah sometimes I poke a pin in there if it closes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I’m sure most know this but it’s still worth mentioning: once you run out with the locktite gel plastic squeeze handle theres still something like 20% of the glue left in the tube that the handle can’t get. You just have to cut handle apart to get the tube out to use it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ijyt posted:

I’m not fully aware of the YouTube part of the GSW issue but in terms of the trademark I’m not seeing a major problem. GSW’s Colorshifts have been around for a while and Vallejo should have done their due diligence, they’re large and old enough to know better.

In terms of it being a common word, it’s about as dumb a thing to trademark as Contrast and you better believe GW would hound anyone trying to encroach on it.

Yeah, as someone who has been following the hobby for a few years now "Color Shift Paints" has a very strong association with GSW in particular for me, even though I know similar products exist from other manufacturers. I don't blame them for going after Vallejo on it. Copyright striking some little fish youtuber is not a good look, though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah with my loctite bottle I have to drill a new hole after a while because it just gets so gummed up. Or just try to push a needle through the gummed up part.
related tip in case anyone else has struggled with it: if you have the citadel plastic cement with the little metal applicator pipe, and the pipe gets gummed up with cement, take the applicator pipe out and use tweezers to hold it over a flame (i use my gas stove) until the cement burns out. might want to do this somewhere well ventilated i guess.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does anyone have a link to the album that a goon did with the retro 90's style Ultramarines? I can't think of any keywords to find that again.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SERPUS posted:

Does anyone have a link to the album that a goon did with the retro 90's style Ultramarines? I can't think of any keywords to find that again.

SRM did them. Try searching his posts in this thread.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Finished this up the other day and never got around to taking pictures. My completed Alpha Legion Lord Discordant.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That blue is sexual.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That blue is sexual.

It was basically the Warhammer TV tutorial for pre-heresy Alpha Legion except with the contrast sprayed through an airbrush because gently caress hand contrasting an entire tank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a WH40K Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought today, and one of the things I want to learn how to do is be able to replace the weapons with any of its various customization options. Will I want to use magnets for this, or what is the best way to go about doing this?

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

I said come in! posted:

I got a WH40K Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought today, and one of the things I want to learn how to do is be able to replace the weapons with any of its various customization options. Will I want to use magnets for this, or what is the best way to go about doing this?

I would absolutely use magnets because dreadnought shoulders are incredibly easy to magnetize.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The dreadnought shoulders are pushfit and IIRC there are enough shoulder parts to make all the weapon options without any need for magnets.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Man, there are some amazing paint jobs here!

So this is my Emperor's Children Demon Prince I bashed up. He's the first model I've painted in a year or so, but I'll post the updates once I get a bit further on with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Man, there are some amazing paint jobs here!

So this is my Emperor's Children Demon Prince I bashed up. He's the first model I've painted in a year or so, but I'll post the updates once I get a bit further on with him.

Oh that came together really well. I also love the multi-wing Cherubim nod be it intentional or not.