Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know that Highland Games thing where they throw hatchets and axes at a target? It's not that interesting, even on TV. Listening to an audio recording of it is extremely not interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

I've just started listening to Behind the Bastards over the last few weeks and I definitely agree, the bagel poo poo loving sucks and really just drains my interest away. The latest episodes about Jerry Falwell felt like it reached critical mass with his lead weight of a bagel obsession. Which is a shame because I really like every other aspect of the podcast.

i feel like it works better in person.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Anyone else listen to Sean's Russia Blog Podcast?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Karenina posted:

A couple years ago, has his delivery improved at all?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Karenina posted:

Yes it’s very good. The episode from this fall about authenticating hitlers skull fragments was wild.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been listening to En Clair recently. It's a linguistics podcast, it's main focus is forensic linguistics but in season one it's also done episodes on cryptography and hidden messages. The first episode, "Derek Bentley", is a really good introduction into what kind of show it is. It helps that the production is pretty good (the background music can get a little distracting sometimes, YMMV) and the host has a pleasant voice even though she's reading from a script. It feels like a podcast that should have more attention than it's getting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like the bagel schtick. I acknowledge that my sense of humour is likely broken.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Sulphagnist posted:

I've been listening to En Clair recently. It's a linguistics podcast, it's main focus is forensic linguistics but in season one it's also done episodes on cryptography and hidden messages. The first episode, "Derek Bentley", is a really good introduction into what kind of show it is. It helps that the production is pretty good (the background music can get a little distracting sometimes, YMMV) and the host has a pleasant voice even though she's reading from a script. It feels like a podcast that should have more attention than it's getting.

Oh cool, I want to that university and still live in the city, I'll give it a listen.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I like the new history of Persia podcast.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've come into a recent interest in the region around the Texas-Mexico border (largely from reading Blood Meridian), and I'm wondering if there are any podcasts that touch on the area.

Topics that involve that region include the secession of Texas and the ensuing US-Mexican war all the way up to modern drug cartels and ~*the wall*~. Conflict-focused stuff is mostly what I'm looking for.

Because of how expansive this is I'm looking for entire podcasts that focus on these topics, or on individual episodes of other podcasts that touch on the region somehow.

Any suggestions?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Mexican Revolution season of Revolutions focuses a lot on that area, might be worth checking out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, Revolutions and the Houston archive war episode of the Dollop are all I can think of podcast-wise.

If you're really interested in the subject, I'd recommend reading some books. If you live in the area, your local library probably will have some books specific to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you're really interested in the subject, I'd recommend reading some books.
Disgusting. Mods?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

evilpicard posted:

A couple years ago, has his delivery improved at all?

It's stilted here and there, but I just treat it like I'm attending a lecture or conference. The content's all I'm here for.

coathat posted:

Yes it’s very good. The episode from this fall about authenticating hitlers skull fragments was wild.

I haven't listened to that one. I think my favorites have been the ones on Central Asian migrants, the Soviet nuclear industry, the Spanish Civil War, and Nagorno-Karabakh. Lots of good stuff there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into those.

Anyone listened to Fall of Civilizations podcast?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is very good.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've only listened to the Khmer episode so far but it was great and easily worth the time. Can't wait to download the rest and catch up.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Greenland episode was great

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Aztec episode is 4 hours long, and starts with the age of dinosaurs.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've listened to all of Fall of Civilizations, it is excellent. I recommend particularly the Easter Island podcast as an examination of Eurocentrism gone to extremes. Jared Diamond fans be warned, you won't enjoy this.

The Bronze Age Collapse is another great podcast although the claim that unsent letters from rulers were found is contested.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's some stuff in the Roman Britain episode that is also popular myth more than history but I've enjoyed Fall of Civilizations too, binged most of it this week.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know you are all probably listening to it but Duncan’s Russian Revolution chapter is some of the best he’s ever done and some of the best podcasting ever. He’s master tier.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Part Three of Inward Empire's series about Ngo Dinh Diem is up as well

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tried listening to history of Persia but I just couldn't get past the dudes voice, alas.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fall of Civilizations episodes just keep getting longer and longer and it is excellent. Hoping the trend continues and we get a 6 hour episode on uhhh the Han Chinese or something.

Longer lengths do mean less time dedicated to the "fall" and more to the general history but it's all interesting as hell and that's a ok with me.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm enjoying The Siecle but it does have some pretty big spoilers for Age of Napoleon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Fall of Civilizations is a lot of fun so far. I like the style, and it's not too "guy reading off a paper into a cheap mic" like History of Rome was for me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I had an Audible credit remaining and got The End Is Always Near audiobook.

Less than two minutes into Chapter 1:

"...imagine that two boxers step into the ring together..."

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 31, 2019

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just like the Bioshock games, in that "there's always always a lighthouse".

For us history podcast listeners, There's always two men in a boxing ring.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
History Podcasting: *context intensifies*

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Waypoint radio mentioned they're going to intentionally limit themselves to shorter podcasts and I am furious.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks for the Fall of Civilisations rec btw, three episodes in and it's been a great listen so far!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

webmeister posted:

Thanks for the Fall of Civilisations rec btw, three episodes in and it's been a great listen so far!

Yeah it really is. I love the voice acting. It's a neat little touch. He also finds the perfect Macleod tracks, prolific as that guy is.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Jamie Loftus did a 4 piece podcast on Mensa that's a lot of fun and interesting. She was also a really good guest on blocked party.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

C-Euro posted:

Supernova in the East Pt 3 is up for you Hardcore History goons. Nearly five hours long :stare:

I've finally made it through more than half of this. It's... Very rambling in the Singapore section. It feels like he took an hour to say what he could have in five or ten minutes

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That's our Dan!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah I burned through Dan's stuff on iTunes and I'll say this for the man: He can fill airtime. Duncan is my go-to for good storytelling though.
Does anyone know why 10.26 of Revolutions isn't available on iTunes anymore?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think there was an issue with the audio for some people, does this link work?

https://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2019/12/1026-the-far-east.html

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

twerking on the railroad posted:

I've finally made it through more than half of this. It's... Very rambling in the Singapore section. It feels like he took an hour to say what he could have in five or ten minutes

Just wait till he gets to MacArthur, Dan spends like an hour grinding the story to a halt to make sure you understand how quirky MacArthur is. I normally don't mind the more rambling aspects of HH, but for some reason Supernova Part 3 really burned me out with how little Carlin managed to get across in such a huge chunk of time.

webmeister posted:

:same: Slowly working my way through it during my commutes, this is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sydin posted:

:same: Slowly working my way through it during my commutes, this is good poo poo.

Yeah, I was a little bored with the Roman one because, well, I've heard/read a hundred different fall of Rome accounts, but the one about the Mayans was REALLY interesting.