Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Ah. gently caress Facebook. I dropped it in like 2009. Got back on briefly around the election, realized it was a mistake, immediately deleted.

Yeah I’ve been off of it for a while but I keep debating getting back on under a fake name for promotion purposes. Hard to get people to come out to shows any other way. Facebook has a monopoly on getting people out to see live music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Harton posted:

Yeah I’ve been off of it for a while but I keep debating getting back on under a fake name for promotion purposes. Hard to get people to come out to shows any other way. Facebook has a monopoly on getting people out to see live music.

Weird my DJ/promoter friends barely bother with FB anymore, just Instagram (from FACEBOOK)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man I’m so old, I don’t even know what Instagram is or does.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Harton posted:

Man I’m so old, I don’t even know what Instagram is or does.

Destroys your brain to monetise your interactions for advertising, just like all social media

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Reminder that Facebook uses the money it makes from you using fb and Instagram to further its right wing agenda and celebrate Brett kavanaugh.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Destroys your brain to monetise your interactions for advertising, just like all social media

But can I shamelessly self promote?!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I agree with Hoarse. Biden is just not mentally sound enough to it. If he was 10 years younger it might be a good idea, but not now.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1211735313820860417

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Good

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1211831874605195265

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sounds about right.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I remember doing the math a while back and facebook's revenue per user in north america is like $150 or something. The amount of advertising they pipe directly into your feed and the amount of your info they take to sell is truly staggering.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remember doing the math a while back and facebook's revenue per user in north america is like $150 or something. The amount of advertising they pipe directly into your feed and the amount of your info they take to sell is truly staggering.

Yeah, instead of fully automated gay space communism we have fully automated incestuous earth capitalism. They took the concept of the TV from 1984, and gave it life as a website. Now we propagandize to levels never before thought of.

I block Facebook at my router, and when my family came to visit for the holiday they threw a shitfit that they couldn't' access it. its loving sad.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Epicurius posted:

I don't know if people saw, but the New York Times just released an article on Ukraine aid saying that Esper, Pompeo, and Bolton met with the President in late August asking him to release the aid, because, they said, it was in the US interest, but he refused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/29/us/politics/trump-ukraine-military-aid.html#click=https://t.co/bP7A55BSx1

quote:

On a sunny, late-August day, Mr. Bolton, Mr. Esper and Mr. Pompeo arrayed themselves around the Resolute desk in the Oval Office to present a united front, the leaders of the president’s national security team seeking to convince him face to face that freeing up the money for Ukraine was the right thing to do. One by one they made their case.

“This is in America’s interest,” Mr. Bolton argued, according to one official briefed on the gathering.

“This defense relationship, we have gotten some really good benefits from it,” Mr. Esper added, noting that most of the money was being spent on military equipment made in the United States.

Mr. Trump responded that he did not believe Mr. Zelensky’s promises of reform. He emphasized his view that corruption remained endemic and repeated his position that European nations needed to do more for European defense.

“Ukraine is a corrupt country,” the president said. “We are pissing away our money.”

So just to be clear here the specific national security interest is the profits of the arms dealers. I thought this was the sort of mercenary attitude that the liberal press existed to push back against.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
1) the reasoning is a literal war against russian territorial expansion. That's just listed as a bonus

2) the NYT has been one of the most vehemently pro-war newspapers to ever exist. Other than their willingness to sometimes criticize conservative leaders and efforts, idk in what capacity the NYT is really meaningfully liberal. The only reason they ever publish anything humanitarian-minded is because some editor wants to gun for a pulitzer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this thread is about the impeachment of donald j. trump, not whether American intervention in the Russia/Ukraine war is justified, thank you in advance for staying on topic

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1212203944711262208

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

one weird trick most defendants don't know about is to simply pretend you are the prosecutor

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

He's trying to say the Democrats impeaching trump are the racketeers, because projection, and he's too drunk/brain damaged to coherently complete a sentence.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/K8brannen/status/1212736036318720001
https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1212734125125382144

these people apparently got leaked some unredacted docs - these are the ones that were released through FOIA a few weeks ago, but so heavily redacted that they were of minimal use

the tl;dr is basically everyone at DOD knew this was hosed up and illegal, expressed that in writing, and was told to gently caress right off (and those bits are all redacted)

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 2, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i like this part

the DOD official, McCusker, has spent the last two months telling OMB "yall are loving us"

then, on september 9, right when they know the whistleblower complaint will be coming out soon, this douche at OMB replies with a formal letter, looping in her bosses, to try to deflect all blame and pretend omb has nothing to do with it

quote:

On Sept. 7, McCusker asked Duffey again, “When will impoundment paperwork be processed?”

On Monday morning, Sept. 9, McCusker sent Duffey another email.

quote:

“The amounts identified as not being able to ‘fully’ obligate by the end of FY total ~$120M based on the current hold. If the hold continues this amount will grow.”
Duffey, adding OMB and Pentagon lawyers to the recipients list, and in a formal and lengthy letter that was quite different from the way he’d addressed McCusker all summer, chastised her and the Defense Department for dropping the ball, saying that if and when the hold is lifted, and DOD finds itself unable to obligate the funding, it would be DOD’s fault.

quote:

“As you know, the President wanted a policy process run to determine the best use of these funds, and he specifically mentioned this to the SecDef the previous week. OMB developed a footnote authorizing DoD to proceed with all processes necessary to obligate funds. If you have not taken these steps, that is contrary to OMB’s direction and was your decision not to proceed. If you are unable to obligate the funds, it will have been DoD’s decision that cause any impoundment of funds.”
Essentially: You guys screwed up. Not us.

McCusker responded:

quote:

“You can’t be serious. I am speechless.”

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I remember hearing commentators not know why Pelosi would hold articles and the obvious answer now is the prayer that good journalism does what the Courts can’t and actually get this poo poo out in the open.

Still in disbelief we couldn’t turbocharge the process to get the SC to say that actually yes all these people need to honor Subpoenas just like was affirmed during Nixon’s impeachment, but I guess that’s just the era we live in of too much process and complication in every facet of our lives

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
What's keeping them from publishing the unredacted emails?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Crazyweasel posted:

I remember hearing commentators not know why Pelosi would hold articles and the obvious answer now is the prayer that good journalism does what the Courts can’t and actually get this poo poo out in the open.

Still in disbelief we couldn’t turbocharge the process to get the SC to say that actually yes all these people need to honor Subpoenas just like was affirmed during Nixon’s impeachment, but I guess that’s just the era we live in of too much process and complication in every facet of our lives

The court isn't slower, but rather the Executive even more obstructionist and the country more impatient. In fact, I think we did see a 'turbocharged process' 😐

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Strange Poon posted:

What's keeping them from publishing the unredacted emails?

i dunno how those emails are stored but you can take a look at what's happened when the Intercept has published pdfs with hidden steganography and got people arrested. or, simpler than that, you could just forget to redact something in a header that makes it clear who received the document that must be your source

there's also the possibility they were literally shown them and allowed to take notes but not given them outright by the source, for fear of the above happening. excerpting them in plain text is a responsible way to avoid even the potential of that.

remember punishment for the source here is (1) definitely lose your job and clearance and the hope of any future job in government (2) likely face criminal charges (3) lifetime of harassment online directed by donald trump personally

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 2, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Crazyweasel posted:

Pelosi and the Democrats obviously know a lot more than what is publicly known right now. I am sure that the GOP knows at least some if not all as well, which is why they were trying to get everything swept under the rug as fast as possible before it comes to light.

While this is big news I still get the feeling that there is something huge coming soon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

reasonably good summary

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1212856009934417920

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Are there any laws governing redactions in FoI documents? It seems like it would be pretty difficult to argue a legitimate government purpose for those ones.

I assume it’s probably just “the administration can redact anything they want”, though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stickman posted:

Are there any laws governing redactions in FoI documents? It seems like it would be pretty difficult to argue a legitimate government purpose for those ones.

I assume it’s probably just “the administration can redact anything they want”, though.

i'm sure it's somewhere in the CFR

anyways i assume if you're a lawyer doing foia work for the government, judges being mad at you for agencies over-redacting is probably like 90% of your job

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 3, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/a_cormier_/status/1212879299142922243

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Oh, that's really interesting for sure, man.

BTW, is the moron still president?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lambert posted:

Oh, that's really interesting for sure, man.

BTW, is the moron still president?

please stop shitposting in this thread

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eke out posted:

please stop shitposting in this thread

That wasn't a shitpost, I was posting my genuine amazement at the personell working for Trump.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1212898050164871168

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Surprising absolutely no one but at least we know for sure now

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Stickman posted:

EO 13526

Sec. 1.7. Classification Prohibitions and Limitations. 

(a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:

(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;
(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;
(3) restrain competition; or
(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security.

Keep in mind FOIA itself is the legal authority for production, that is “the law governing redactions” and its exemptions are what are being used. Particularly (b)(5):

https://www.justice.gov/oip/foia-guide-2004-edition-exemption-5

In practice (b)(5) is basically the “we withhold because we feel like it” exemption as you say.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 3, 2020

daft
Oct 16, 2012
I think we got him,

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
drat thank god we got that ceremonial impeachment passed in the house of representatives, it really put that orange buffoon in his place and really made him squirm and really changed what history is going to write about him, we've really stopped him from doing any more damage or causing anymore worldwide catastrophes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gozinbulx posted:

drat thank god we got that ceremonial impeachment passed in the house of representatives, it really put that orange buffoon in his place and really made him squirm and really changed what history is going to write about him, we've really stopped him from doing any more damage or causing anymore worldwide catastrophes.

your big strong daddy trump wins again!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Iran skit wasn’t impeachment related, but would that action give senate republicans more reason to hop off the sinking ship? Or is it too early to tell?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m perfectly willing to believe that the Republicans would claim “you can’t impeach a president during a war” (that he himself started).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

buglord posted:

The Iran skit wasn’t impeachment related, but would that action give senate republicans more reason to hop off the sinking ship? Or is it too early to tell?
Lol if you think the GOP isn't diamond-cutter hard at the prospect of another ME eternawar.