Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Anyone have any good two-player VR recommendations? My buddy and I are trying to find stuff to play. Rec Room was a boring morass. Next we're going to try Onward (even though I prefer Pavlov) because it has co-op comp stomp. What else is good for two people?

Payday 2 is a lot of fun with a friend, but other than that you’re looking at Pavlov/Onward/Contractors or maybe something like Climbey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Payday 2 is so good. Especially if you with a couple of minor things with mods.
The VR implementation is pretty good and there's a poo poo ton of content there unlike any of the actual VR games.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

UnknownTarget posted:

Anyone have any good two-player VR recommendations? My buddy and I are trying to find stuff to play. Rec Room was a boring morass. Next we're going to try Onward (even though I prefer Pavlov) because it has co-op comp stomp. What else is good for two people?

Good coop games:

We Were Here
https://store.steampowered.com/app/582500/We_Were_Here/

Iron Wolf
https://store.steampowered.com/app/552080/IronWolf_VR/

Jet Island
https://store.steampowered.com/app/587220/Jet_Island/

Windlands 2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/458580/Windlands_2/

I guess it's a little late as the sale just ended, but We Were Here is free at least.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

Echo Arena added AI, so you can party up with a friend and stomp comps, although I think you also get strangers to fill in your team

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seriously Payday 2 VR is sooooo good.

Just be aware if you're new to payday you should start slow and build your way up the difficulties. Most people still playing Payday in TYOOL 2020 on flatscreen have perfect min/max builds and will be playing the hardest gently caress-off difficulty; you are not ready for that especially in VR.

Even once you get your character build tweaked to be super OP and have the best guns, you'll still want to keep the difficulty dialed back a little just because VR makes everything different. Its definitely extremely playable I just find that having literally a billion armored cops pouring in through the walls is a bit overwhelming in VR. Its also easier to get one-shot killed by snipers in VR than on flatscreen where you can quake circle-strafe-jump-bunnyhop everywhere.

Stealth is also real fun and rewarding and maybe more chill in VR, although going loud in VR is super good times too. I especially recommend using dual pistols.

I've played PD2 for years so if anybody needs tips or build info I can help out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Upgraded from CV1 to quest and VR with no wires in my big empty living room fuckin shreds.

What 5G router should I get for ALVR?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My strategy in shooting in VR is to rush whatever I want to shoot and bash it with my gun :v:

I can't aim worth jack

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously Payday 2 VR is sooooo good.

Just be aware if you're new to payday you should start slow and build your way up the difficulties. Most people still playing Payday in TYOOL 2020 on flatscreen have perfect min/max builds and will be playing the hardest gently caress-off difficulty; you are not ready for that especially in VR.

Even once you get your character build tweaked to be super OP and have the best guns, you'll still want to keep the difficulty dialed back a little just because VR makes everything different. Its definitely extremely playable I just find that having literally a billion armored cops pouring in through the walls is a bit overwhelming in VR. Its also easier to get one-shot killed by snipers in VR than on flatscreen where you can quake circle-strafe-jump-bunnyhop everywhere.

Stealth is also real fun and rewarding and maybe more chill in VR, although going loud in VR is super good times too. I especially recommend using dual pistols.

I've played PD2 for years so if anybody needs tips or build info I can help out.

I found dodge based build pretty good in VR because they buff the poo poo out of dodge skills when you're playing the VR version.

Also can confirm, Akimbo guns are super cool and good in Payday 2 VR. Just make sure to get a laser sight ASAP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

I found dodge based build pretty good in VR because they buff the poo poo out of dodge skills when you're playing the VR version.

Also can confirm, Akimbo guns are super cool and good in Payday 2 VR. Just make sure to get a laser sight ASAP.

I'm not saying it isn't good, I run dodge build myself in VR. But that still isn't the same as a flatscreen dodge build where you're constantly running full speed; it just isn't.

Its an inherently different situation. Its good they thought of VR and gave VR different bonuses; but they are different. Moving non-stop also makes it harder for snipers to track you and land a shot, which is eaiser to do in flatscreen than VR. In lower difficulties that doesn't matter, but when shiper shots are literally 1-shot-kill it matters a great deal.

Trust me. Like I was saying though, just don't play Death Sentence or probably even Death Wish in VR and you'll be fine. Then you can do whatever build you want.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 2, 2020

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

Upgraded from CV1 to quest and VR with no wires in my big empty living room fuckin shreds.

What 5G router should I get for ALVR?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264273847010

Quest would poo poo itself with my mesh router so I got this as a standalone just for the 5ghz band. Works great for that price.

But I personally prefer the link to ALVR/Virtual Desktop. Cable sucks but performance is noticeably better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Nothing that currently supports hand tracking involves moving your body in any way; we're not talking Beat Saber here.
Ah, that makes some sense then.

quote:

Also it's currently winter in the northern hemisphere.
I know, there was snow out my window this morning, but my PC and Vive are inside where it's ~68 degrees when everything is idle. When someone is gaming, however, the room tends to warm up quickly regardless of the outside temperature. It takes a few minutes longer in the winter, sure, but unless I open the window I'm still going to be sweating after 10-20 minutes of anything active.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena added AI, so you can party up with a friend and stomp comps, although I think you also get strangers to fill in your team

You can, though last I played, it seems to ignore your difficulty setting when it fills with random. Like, you queue for hard and it dumps you into medium with other people who queued for hard. Might have been patched, though

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Finally got back to my VR setup and tried out the Boneworks Arena mode. It's surprisingly good! I'm legit bummed they didn't take a lot of these design ideas and put them in the main game.

There's a lot of neat combat ideas implemented as challenges, highly suggest trying out the Arena mode in Boneworks if you haven't already.

It's kind of a bummer they don't unlock this from the start.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Timelines are timelines, after all. In dev, many ideas need a concrete foundation to take shape but that foundation may have already settled before there’s time to expand the design. And for a small company, delivering may have been the better choices vs iterating on that last mile of polish (can easily take a ton of time, first/last 90% etc).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boneworks was obviously super experimental and most of the dev time was just them learning what they could do in VR and how to do it best, so yeah that seems right to me.

They had to get something out the door to make some income to justify all the R&D spent. Good news is after the success of Boneworks, now they're free to start from square 1 on the drawing board and incorporate all their best ideas into something new from the ground up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Calipark posted:

It's kind of a bummer they don't unlock this from the start.

I wish games in general would ditch these sort of game mode/content unlocks, out of respect for people's time. I have too many games that have a cool thing I'd like to try, but they gate it behind some time sink or dumbass achievement (Risk of Rain 2 :argh:).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks was obviously super experimental and most of the dev time was just them learning what they could do in VR and how to do it best, so yeah that seems right to me.

They had to get something out the door to make some income to justify all the R&D spent. Good news is after the success of Boneworks, now they're free to start from square 1 on the drawing board and incorporate all their best ideas into something new from the ground up.

Some of my favorite games are for example Tie Fighter, Doom 2 or Fallout New Vegas. Sequels that are close to the original, and thanks to that because they started with already a engine, a base of art assets and good idea of how things work (or not), they could focus on making an awesome game. What you said reminded me of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AzureSkys posted:

How do you aim weapons in VR? I'm not really trained in normal gun use but understand that you're not supposed to close your eye that's not looking down the sight. I sure can't do that with any games I've tried and have to squint to line things up. I suppose it'll just take practice, but it seems really difficult if it's doable in a headset.

Flying the ultralight in Ultrawings and using a dart gun to shoot balloons is a pretty fun coordination challenge, though I really struggle with the aiming thing there.

The same way as in real life. You're correct, although that isn't necessarily the full story. You're also not about to win any target shooting competitions in Virtual Reality, so I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Do whatever feels right for you or whatever works better. If you're really really concerned about developing bad habits for going gun shooting later in life, then go to a range and get some instruction, but that probably isn't a concern?

Dietrich posted:

Figure out which of your eyes is dominant and sight with that. And that scene in Pocahontas is stupid, you're not going to gain anything but a wider field of view by having both eyes open while sighting, and might introduce error if you haven't trained your brain enough to ignore your off eye's info for anything other than distance information. Feel free to close your off eye while shooting.

No, that's not correct. Its not just Pocahontas. Gun range instructors will tell you to keep both eyes open. That's a real thing.

The thing is that if you have a dominant eye, you can still sight well and it'll give you better stereoscopic vision of your target, and a better sense of distance.

But if you have issues with visual acuity or are co-dominant, then it isn't necessarily a good idea.

Enos Cabell posted:

I did the tests on that site and apparently I don't have a dominant eye? Did the triangulation test and the object moved an equal distance to either side when I closed an eye, only stayed centered with both open. Probably did it to myself back in junior high when I ripped a contact lens and was afraid to tell my parents, so went about 9 months wearing only one contact lens.
I'm a pretty good shot IRL anyway, so not sure what difference it makes.

Yeah, bingo. Sounds like you're co-dominant and should just go ahead and close one eye.

AzureSkys posted:

That eye info is helpful. Thanks! If I use both while aiming I get double vision but didn't want to start a habit of closing the non-dominant one if that's a frowned on thing. I feel like the VR setup sorta forces it, though.

Now I gotta add IRL weapons, boxing, and dance training to improve my video game skills... But at least it's gotten me away from my desk chair a fair bit.

Nah VR is the same as IRL. I keep both eyes open without much issue, same as I do IRL. But I'm very strong right-eye dominant.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m left handed and aim down sights with my left eye both in VR and in real life.

I never considered it might be done otherwise :iiam:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That sort of data is also usually straight up volunteered anyways.

lmfao stfu bootlicker

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"facebook stealing all my data is perfectly fine because i agreed to a 543289752349857 page EULA"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m left handed and aim down sights with my left eye both in VR and in real life.

You're always aiming with one eye. But the question is if you close the other eye or not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

You're always aiming with one eye. But the question is if you close the other eye or not.

Oh, yeah I do out of habit. IRL when I do sporting clays I’ll keep both eyes open to track the clay and close my right eye just before I pull the trigger. One eye only in VR

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've always figured it didn't matter in VR much if you were left or right. Guns are guns, and so long as they function like an IRL weapon, it should just "Work" in VR. I honestly never considered anyone had issues unless they devs just simply didn't make the guns "correctly".

I guess non gun people might have issues?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah I do out of habit. IRL when I do sporting clays I’ll keep both eyes open to track the clay and close my right eye just before I pull the trigger. One eye only in VR

Man I got scolded for closing an eye on anything but long range optics.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The shape of controller equipment can cause a problem with cross eye dominance working to a satisfactory degree sometimes. This is true of real life as well which is why it’s often recommended to train yourself out of it, from a bio mechanics reason it’s a lot less optimal for a lot of reasons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

I've always figured it didn't matter in VR much if you were left or right. Guns are guns, and so long as they function like an IRL weapon, it should just "Work" in VR. I honestly never considered anyone had issues unless they devs just simply didn't make the guns "correctly".

I guess non gun people might have issues?

Man I got scolded for closing an eye on anything but long range optics.

Oh, I’m not saying I’m doing it correctly by any means, it’s just how I do it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, I’m not saying I’m doing it correctly by any means, it’s just how I do it

poo poo not even saying you're not. I'm not a clay shooter. XD

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Did someone post this Sonic the Hedgehog VR running simulator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS6pGWK9H1E

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jubjub64 posted:

Did someone post this Sonic the Hedgehog VR running simulator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS6pGWK9H1E

Two things:

1) That game should ONLY let you run when you do a Naruto run.

2) I’m downloading that tonight. When I was a kid I dreamed that the Sonic game for the 32x would be just that, a first person game in 3D from that very POV. The reality of Knuckles Chaotix turned out to be significantly worse than my dream.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

lmfao stfu bootlicker
more like booklicker amirite

Truga posted:

"facebook stealing all my data is perfectly fine because i agreed to a 543289752349857 page EULA"

Not what I said, just that the easiest data to handle is stuff that is literally provided, i.e. specified explicitly, by users. By far the most common thing to analyze is the stuff that costs $0 to get and which has all the access control and legal whatever in whatever jurisdiction taken care of.

The point being that - without making a pronouncement about whether it's okay or not - for the most part, Facebook's moneymaker is the simple, stupid poo poo, except at insane scale, so they can sell your attention in a massive and well-targeted bundle.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dude, almost every single post you make in this thread is licking zucc's boot, just stop already

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

dude, almost every single post you make in this thread is licking zucc's boot, just stop already
Well, yeah, I'm speaking up because my viewpoint is differently informed, I do this stuff independently, and I know people who work on this stuff. I'm not even arguing that Facebook is good, I'm saying "well akshually its badness is significantly more nuanced, and depending on how you look at things, the balance of its contributions to VR seems to outstrip that IMO". I'm going to add my color to the discussion whether you want me to or not.

This isn't your comfy facebook hate hugbox thread - if you can't handle that, or if participating in contentious discussions with different perspectives makes you ~uncomfortable~ then that's not my problem.

If that's too many words then I'll use words you understand:

lmfao stfu snowflake

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

This isn't your comfy facebook hate hugbox thread

I officially decree that it is

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao every year there's a big scandal about facebook overstepping every possible line, zucc getting public loving hearings, but hey things are actually :frogout:

e: i still remember rolling my eyes every single time people went "well, you should buy facebook's device anyway, it's not really connected to facebook itself" any time someone raised concerns, and now that the inevitable happened we're still here, listening to a dumbass bootlicker pretending stealing customer data is "nuanced"

Truga fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

stealing customer data is "nuanced"

You use google?

I'm curious where you all draw the line here on the data stuff.

EDIT: I'm not debating facebook does shady poo poo beyond selling/using your data. I'm just specifically talking about "customer data".

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 3, 2020

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

lmao every year there's a big scandal about facebook overstepping every possible line, zucc getting public loving hearings, but hey things are actually
:frogout:

Hey if you want me to go full shill:

Part of that reporting is actually recycled, or identifying the same issue multiple times, or covers stuff that was fixed, or mislabels a datadump of scraped information as compromised accounts. Rupert Murdoch has a well-known hateboner for Facebook for ruining its acquisition of MySpace, but it's not mentioned as much because it's more likely to be misinterpreted as a cause of the bad press (and dismissed because that's ridiculous), rather than yet another piece of a jilted press that lost control of public discourse to a company which upended all sorts of norms without having any answers to them.

Politicians keep on calling zucc because they know they can score points on his uncharismatic testimony, and he's a lightning rod for dissatisfaction with tech, politics, and money. (and they have good critiques on all three points). But Facebook's track record, while way too spotty, is not consistently bad - it's just not consistently great, which is of course not what people want to see from a company on whose servers they conduct the most personal of business. Forgiveness for a "mostly good" record isn't - and shouldn't be - given, but on the other hand muddling its record with fearmongering actually weakens the impact of their real fuckups, which lets them get away with smaller punishments than they deserve when it counts.

Truga posted:

e: i still remember rolling my eyes every single time people went "well, you should buy facebook's device anyway, it's not really connected to facebook itself" any time someone raised concerns, and now that the inevitable happened we're still here, listening to a dumbass bootlicker pretending stealing customer data is "nuanced"

I think at the time I guessed that they'd "dark pattern" people into using Facebook on it rather than requiring it outright, which accurately describes the situation as it stands now, no?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

You use google?

I'm curious where you all draw the line here on the data stuff.

EDIT: I'm not debating facebook does shady poo poo beyond selling/using your data. I'm just specifically talking about "customer data".

Google's hands aren't clean, but their primary business model isn't laser-focused on slurping personal data for categorization and reselling with everything they touch and you can reasonably say their products are as-described. The stuff they profile is mostly what you can handwave as what most people consider harmless metadata, and generally it just gets tallied and shelved as "X people like A Thing" and that's the end of it.

Facebook's sole agenda has always been "how can we harvest people's information and sell it on to companies with this?" And VR is a goldmine for them. Google might manage to profile an account at worst, but Facebook gets you directly. By design.

Part of the concern with the Quest is they can achieve a closed hardware platform with its successors, one that they own outright and nasty mean privacy advocates cant peek under the hood to see what's being sent home.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 3, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Like, can we get a thread for the facebook slapfight?

Anyway, somewhere along the line Pokerstars added the ability to make your poker table private with a PIN. Someone get that game rolling!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Faceboooook, here it's an interview with Michael Abrash. Mostly about AR, but still
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/facebooks-chief-scientist-mass-adoption-of-ar-is-years-away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Facebook's sole agenda has always been "how can we harvest people's information and sell it on to companies with this?" And VR is a goldmine for them. Google might manage to profile an account at worst, but Facebook gets you directly. By design.
Google actively catalogues your location *and* analyzes it to improve its deduction of which specific establishment you actually went to. It's so open about this reviewing it is a feature in the actual app. Given that even your browser user agent (if you don't scrub it) along with some rudimentary feature detection can deanonymize incognito mode (meaning any company with a tracking pixel with enough penetration can find out who you are), you seem awfully willing to overlook other serious breaches in trust, like how Apple, until recently, was *actually* recording audio from Siri usage and reviewing it *with humans* without informed consent.

I don't understand how you fail to grok something so simple. Facebook has never and will never sell user data, it hoards it (with some very bad spillage) because selling the eggs is way better than selling the goose that lays them. Both Google and Facebook are essentially data hoards with tools attached, and have essentially the same customers.

Between Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook, Facebook is the only one which doesn't have proper diversification into ownership over a hardware/software platform stack. It doesn't take a genius to understand the platform play, but it takes a real idiot to think that the money in having a platform to sell is all in the literal sale of personal information, instead of control over the means of app distribution.

THAT'S where I believe AR and VR are headed. It's sort of telegraphed in public repeatedly by zucc.

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of Faceboooook, here it's an interview with Michael Abrash. Mostly about AR, but still
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/facebooks-chief-scientist-mass-adoption-of-ar-is-years-away

Got an un-paywalled version of that?

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 3, 2020