Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also the possibility of a mass mining of the hormuz or mass missiling tankers.

Tanker War 2.0. gently caress it's the 80s all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Welp, we made it TWO loving DAYS into 2020 before Trump hosed it all up.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure what Trump is thinking.

lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

pro starcraft loser posted:

Wouldn't this run the risk of pulling US allies that would normally sit on the sideline into the conflict?

Which ones ? The besendwehr?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is loving insane.

e: BBC is saying its not clear who's responsible, while Al Jazeera is straight up saying it was a US airstrike. Is the US just going to deny responsibility?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 3, 2020

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Which ones ? The besendwehr?

I doubt we'd get any help in a conflict like this the way it's starting, but I was thinking France, Germany and maybe Italy. Will be interesting to see how Turkey reacts to this news.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
We basically just declared war on Iran.

poo poo.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1212911957004578816

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

lmao it's happening :suicide:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

who are these dudes?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

They're moving fast. :stare:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who are these dudes?

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1212912578470518785?s=20

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

cochise posted:

They're moving fast. :stare:

What legal footing do US Marines have for this? Are they wanted?

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Its twitter but ya really looking like a decapitation of Irans efforts in Iraq.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Since when is legality an issue?

But seriously there isn't any.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/lawfareblog/status/1212907519363964930?s=21

Looking around for a bit of content from that.

But ya its a sort out legality issues later thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess we're about to find out if Iran's a paper tiger that's been bluffing their way through the intensifying skirmishing up until now. We absolutely started this fight when Trump tore up the Iran deal, and now we're escalating, so if Iran has any cards to play, we should be seeing them soon. They're still obviously by far the weaker country though, so taking the L could be the more rational course of action, even if war would also be bad for us.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1212913366492016640

read the whole drat thread. its good poo poo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tied to Iran I guess, or are we going to coup the current Iraqi government?

Again?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/141604554855825408

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

RaffyTaffy posted:

https://twitter.com/lawfareblog/status/1212907519363964930?s=21

Looking around for a bit of content from that.

But ya its a sort out legality issues later thing.

If Trump nukes Iran or full bore invades to regime change it there is nobody on earth that can stop him. Those "Rules of Force" are doing nothing but wasting space on a hard drive somewhere.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
حلال زاده

The first night I sleep on an earth where Soleimani is dead

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Yes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah this is going to end well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think we're also missing here that the US just killed or arrested a whole bunch of senior members of the PMU. You know, the main paramilitary forces they were working alongside in the fight against ISIS in Iraq, who have three times the personnel of the Iraqi Army. Americans in Iraq just had their lives get far, far less safe.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Darth Walrus posted:

I think we're also missing here that the US just killed or arrested a whole bunch of senior members of the PMU. You know, the main paramilitary forces they were working alongside in the fight against ISIS, who have three times the personnel of the Iraqi Army. Americans in Iraq just had their lives get far, far less safe.

Don't worry, surely the Kurds will come to our aid! :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I think we're also missing here that the US just killed or arrested a whole bunch of senior members of the PMU. You know, the main paramilitary forces they were working alongside in the fight against ISIS in Iraq, who have three times the personnel of the Iraqi Army. Americans in Iraq just had their lives get far, far less safe.

yep. basicaly the new republican guard. good times ahead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Again?

quote:

Hadi Al-Amiri (Arabic: هادي العامري‎) is the former Iraqi Minister of Transportation and the head of the Badr Organization, which was the military wing of the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council (SIIC). He is a member of the Iraqi parliament[1] under the United Iraqi Alliance list, which mainly represents religious Shi'a parties.

Amiri fought on the side of the Iranians, as part of the Badr Brigade, during the Iran–Iraq War.[2]

As leader of the Badr Organization, Hadi Al-Amiri had very close ties to the Iranian leadership—and in particular the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which was responsible for training the Badr Brigade during Saddam Hussein's rule.[citation needed] Hadi Al-Amiri was also one of the first Shi'a politicians to call for regional federation in the south of Iraq.[citation needed]

Amiri has denied claims that he has overseen flights passing through Iraqi airspace from Iran to Syria containing shipments of weapons to help the Syrian Government in the Syrian Civil War.[2] Amiri has however proclaimed his affection for Qassem Suleimani, the Commander of Quds Force, a division of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps believed to be playing an instrumental part in supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the conflict.[2] Amiri told The New Yorker "I love Qassem Suleimani! He is my dearest friend."[2]

He was the commander of Iraqi forces in the operation to liberate Jurf Al Sakhar during 2014 Iraqi conflict.[3] As a commander in Popular Mobilization Forces, he has been active in the rest of operations against ISIL. He has been described as "perhaps the most powerful and pro-Iranian" leader in the Popular Mobilization Forces and often meets with Brett H. McGurk President Donald J. Trump's US Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL.[4] He is fluent in Persian.[5]

On 31 December 2019, he was identified by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as a leader of the attack on the United States embassy in Baghdad. In 2011 he accompanied the Iraqi Prime Minister on a visit to the White House, in his capacity as Secretary of Transportation and also as a foe of (former Iraqi president) Saddam Hussein.[6]

On 3 January 2020 he was captured by Marines in Baghdad.[7]

That answer your question?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Blowback is what we specialize in. :smugdon:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trump did all of this in an attempt to distract PR away from impeachment. Do you folks think this will subtract from (distracting proxy war) or add to impeachment proceedings? (wanton aggression)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Trump did all of this in an attempt to distract PR away from impeachment. Do you folks think this will subtract from (distracting proxy war) or add to impeachment proceedings? (wanton aggression)

Rudy Giuliani has assured me this is all Hunter Biden's doing. I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

not really and if he makes this worse(he will) than he is hosed in the election.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
historically the democrats have never seen a war they didn't like

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not really and if he makes this worse(he will) than he is hosed in the election.

Yeah, starting a war to distract people works a lot better when the country hasn't been constantly at a pointless war for almost 20 years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I'm sure the various republicans will be very concerned about this attack but are going to wait until they have all the facts and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Good chance the Iraqi government falls over this.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.

Hearing that on this thread is unusual. What did he do?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm sure the various republicans will be very concerned about this attack but are going to wait until they have all the facts and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1212918736015024128?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Let's all wait to hear from McConnell first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if you listened really closely you could have heard marco's tongue enter trump's sphincter while he typed this