Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's an example of a long-used garbage part to point out that longevity is not a great indicator. Every company has done stupid things. I'm not saying FCA=Toyota ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tho the fact its been used for so long without revision and you dont generally hear of them failing (mines from running the engine so hot for so long the oil broke down and overheated after i clogged the cooling system solid with mud) probably means that while they're a poo poo design from an aerospace perspective they're perfectly fine for an automotive application.

Whats properly stupid bout it that on the 100 series, they installed an electronically boosted brake accumulator, so you dont need vacuum for brake boosting. So literally the only thing that vacuum pump does on the AU delivered HDJ100 landcruisers is run the EGR valve...

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

(I know nothing about this. Found on imgur.)

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Cojawfee posted:

There is no way any of that is useful besides maybe an unburnt body panel. The structural steel is definitely weakened from the fire.

Vette fuel can't melt steel frames.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dpack_1 posted:

Vette fuel can't melt steel frames.
This is the kind of thing written language came into existence for.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

so its a wooden beam, sitting on two ladders, which are sitting on blocks, which are sitting on PROPANE TANKS?? Jesus gently caress I thought my jerryrigging was insane

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think what ultimately amused me about that picture are the ladders and the load rating while holding up probably close to 800-1000 lbs between them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think what ultimately amused me about that picture are the ladders and the load rating while holding up probably close to 800-1000 lbs between them.

Consensus is it’s a Nissan TD or TB engine. With box either of those are north of 600kg and the TD asssmbly is closer to 800kg so... 1300-1700lb

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
And it isn't even going to fit in that Toyota!!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

tactlessbastard posted:

And it isn't even going to fit in that Toyota!!

Not with that attitude, anyway

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

so its a wooden beam, sitting on two ladders, which are sitting on blocks, which are sitting on PROPANE TANKS?? Jesus gently caress I thought my jerryrigging was insane

The wooden beam looks like a 2x6 or 2x8...sitting on the narrow edge.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Godholio posted:

The wooden beam looks like a 2x6 or 2x8...sitting on the narrow edge.

That's how you want it to be, to hold the most weight without flexing.
However, it needs to be blocked to keep from rotating. If it flips, your static load becomes dynamic and imparts an additional impact load just as the beam goes from strong to weak (or falls off the piers entirely)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The ladders and everything above seems actually reasonable to me. The ladders might be slightly overloaded depending on spec, but design safety should still cover that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

The ladders and everything above seems actually reasonable to me. The ladders might be slightly overloaded depending on spec, but design safety should still cover that.

Those fibreglass electricians ladders are rated to 150kg MAX each here in aus. So your still half a tonne over.

I used a ladder to lift the block of my engine out of the back of the Ute but it was a 150kg rated ladder and a 115kg engine block!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NoWake posted:

That's how you want it to be, to hold the most weight without flexing.
However, it needs to be blocked to keep from rotating. If it flips, your static load becomes dynamic and imparts an additional impact load just as the beam goes from strong to weak (or falls off the piers entirely)

Yeah my point was that it's freestanding like that. Also, it's definitely flexing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Ferremit posted:

Those fibreglass electricians ladders are rated to 150kg MAX each here in aus. So your still half a tonne over.

I used a ladder to lift the block of my engine out of the back of the Ute but it was a 150kg rated ladder and a 115kg engine block!

Oh those locked like metal, I would have assumed 200 kg rating, meaning 300kg at least per spec (probably 600) and then doubled up so should be just about enough

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

TBF though those ladders are likely rated for 250 Lbs each, and UL requires (AFAIK) these things to sustain four times the rated load to be certified. The ladders are not the (main) problem it's the janky setup between lots of movable pieces and the aforementioned likelihood of the lumber twisting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are ladders rated for “gingerly set a load on the top” or “fat ape swinging a sledge clambers up it”?

Or is it the former at a factor of safety of four to account for the latter?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Of course the various blocks have their holes pointing sideways. WEBS GO VERTICAL YOU FUCKS! :argh:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Platystemon posted:

Are ladders rated for “gingerly set a load on the top” or “fat ape swinging a sledge clambers up it”?

Or is it the former at a factor of safety of four to account for the latter?

Usually you have a rated load and you have to be able to sustain 3-4 times that depending on the standard statically, which accounts for dynamic loads as well. Depending on the spec, some even higher peak loads will be specified.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fender Anarchist posted:

Of course the various blocks have their holes pointing sideways. WEBS GO VERTICAL YOU FUCKS! :argh:

But the more concrete facing up, the stronger it is, rite?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Horrible ownership failures count as well, right?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Whatever man. I don't see no leaks. :downs:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably even added a little extra capacity.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Memento posted:

Horrible ownership failures count as well, right?

Was it leaking?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I vote that a Horrible Mechanical Success.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably even added a little extra capacity.

Now I'm wondering how long those bolts are

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sheet metal and RTV: cool & good

Bolts: hold the gently caress up

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Sheet metal and RTV: cool & good

Bolts: hold the gently caress up

*pulls out pop-riveter*

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It makes the oil pan more rigid, which makes the block more rigid, which makes the chassis more rigid, which makes the car handle better. Why you guys hating?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's honestly perfectly serviceable, nice big bolts and nice thick sheet metal, bolting circle could be a little more even, but it looks like the spacing is ok.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
But if you're patching a hole, drill six more holes?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Drill 8 more holes, you need to stress-relieve the ends of the crack.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait, what grade bolt did he use?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ooh, I can play this game!

I took a shelf off an old newsstand, and lacking shears, "bend-cut" it to size, hammered it to shape on my driveway, and glued it on with JBWeld. Didn't leak a drop for years. Was quite pleased with myself :smug:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 3, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

bolind posted:

What the ladders or board is rated at is my least concern. What concerns me is that an errant bump, or hell a gust of wind, could knock over this lump of random poo poo unconnected by anything but friction and gravity and leave an expensive piece of what is now scrap on the floor. And maybe slam a propane bottle into something sharp and cause what might be described as "fun and excitement".

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Queen Combat posted:

But if you're patching a hole, drill six more holes?

Actually, yes, although quite a few more smaller holes filled with rivets would probably be better, and you could also just get a new oil pan for both less cost and effort than trying to patch it anyways

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beach Bum posted:

Ooh, I can play this game!

I took a shelf off an old newsstand, and lacking shears, "bend-cut" it to size, hammered it to shape on my driveway, and glued it on with JBWeld. Didn't leak a drop for years. Was quite pleased with myself :smug:

If it's horrible but it works, is it horrible?

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Actually, yes, although quite a few more smaller holes filled with rivets would probably be better, and you could also just get a new oil pan for both less cost and effort than trying to patch it anyways

That's my line of thought. Did they drill and tap the aluminum pan, or did they remove the oil pan to use nuts inside? Of course I know the answer, in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Darchangel posted:

If it's horrible but it works, is it horrible?

That's my line of thought. Did they drill and tap the aluminum pan, or did they remove the oil pan to use nuts inside? Of course I know the answer, in my heart
Trick question, bolts are retained with RTV and prayers