Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Surely you'd throw dead wildlife at him.

A roll of toilet paper in a maccas bag? A book about atheism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't know how fire works.

Once an area has been burnt, and I feel like that would happen pretty quick in these conditions, isn't the fire done for that particular burnt section.

Why can't you pre-burn a 5km wide strip of land as a fire break before population centers if you know this is going to happen in 6-12 months. Australia's population is super super concentrated along the coast so you only really need to make a fire break on one side.

It doesn't really help the smoke situation, but 5km seems like it would be enough to prevent your city from the literal fire tornado so people at least don't need to swim into the ocean to not burn to death

For these videos of fire trucks driving through the woods, what are they actually trying to do. Evacuate people? Again I just feel this sort of thing would be pretty easy to track where its headed and you could leave before it all goes down. But I don't know anything about this situation.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

Once an area has been burnt, and I feel like that would happen pretty quick in these conditions, isn't the fire done for that particular burnt section.

Why can't you pre-burn a 5km wide strip of land as a fire break before population centers if you know this is going to happen in 6-12 months. Australia's population is super super concentrated along the coast so you only really need to make a fire break on one side.

It doesn't really help the smoke situation, but 5km seems like it would be enough to prevent your city from the literal fire tornado so people at least don't need to swim into the ocean to not burn to death

While we live mostly on the coast, we sprawl, so that's still a lot of area to back burn. Also there's still something like 15% of the population that live in rural areas, that's non trivial.

Also burning "just" the 5km strip is tricky especially when a lot of our plants are insanely flammable and everything is dry from the droughts.

While our major cities might not burn to the ground, the other thousands of square miles of poo poo burning kind of matters to our agriculture and other industries, not to mention our natural ecosystem.

Edit: also fire moves very fast when it wants to when the wind is up. Like many, many kilometres per hour fast. Fast enough that you can out run it and can't out drive it. It's very possible to go from "huh what's that smoke on the horizon" to "well poo poo all the roads are blocked and we're burning to death in our car". 2009 was the big one for that.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 3, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We do take serious steps to prevent fires spreading, but please keep in mind Australia is approaching the size of continental Europe. No capital-c city is on fire, it's all small towns which usually are scattered hours from each other. That 5km strip may or may not contain a town or two, a lot of farms or even be 500km from any people.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Controlled burns are normally conducted in the way you mention. However the Morrison government cut funding and prevented those burns from being performed.

The videos you've seen are fire fighters attempting to evacuate. They stayed trying to defend people and property for as long as possible.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's basically what they do already and when fires do start they try and back burn into the fire to get it to stop but it doesn't always work.

This is what they're predicting for tomorrow in NSW. I wouldn't be surprised if all of those fires eventually join up.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
The weird "volunteer firefighting" thing is another pledge for Morrison's government to cut social service, medicare/healthcare, education etc.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/why-i-didn-t-donate-to-the-rural-fire-service-this-time-around-20191231-p53nt1.html

quote:

All governments have been doing it. State governments, for instance, have long left country (but not city) fire-fighting to volunteers. And have long underfunded the upkeep of public schools, believing parents and citizens can be left to make up the shortfall. But it’s been a particular trick of the federal Coalition government as it struggles to return its budget to surplus when there are expensive, vote-buying tax cuts to be covered.

If you’re wondering why, despite his contrition at having taken an overseas break his spin doctors tried to keep secret, and his freely dispensed “thoughts and prayers”, Scott Morrison remained adamant for so long that all that was needed was already being done to help the firefighters, it’s because he knows that too much generosity on the feds’ part could see his precious budget surplus whittled down to nothingness.

quote:

Morrison’s reluctant decision to pay them $300 a day for a maximum of 20 days is the least he can do to acknowledge their loss of income (or annual leave) while serving their communities.

His reluctance – and anxiety to emphasise it’s not a payment of wages – is understandable, however. Behavioural economics is clear that paying people to do what they formerly did without payment can kill the motivation to donate your services for noble reasons. Morrison has stressed that this response to a problem of unprecedented severity shouldn’t be seen as setting a precedent.

this is a comment from a firefighter in NZ that were deployed in AU a long time ago

quote:

In reference to the aussie fires, they pay NZ government and or rural firefighters (Forestry workers NZ send as skilled alpine fire fighters). I went over in the early 2000s to help with a fire in Victoria.
The CFS (County Fire Service) over there are volunteers, they take their annual leave or leave with no pay to fight these fires, these people have living costs for themselves and their family, mortgages go on hold as these guys and girls fight these fires with no income.
My time over there when in East Gippsland the CFS had been fighting a wild fire for over 100 days.
we were told not to tell CFS personnel our rate of pay, which was very good.

And another view from a local

quote:

I’m living in Au Australia, and I’m not giving either, this Govt has reduced aid and funding to every health organisation, all emergency services, all indigenous groups, just so they can say they have a surplus,
The LNP Govt is under the thumb of the coal industry they deny climate change, there’s plenty of money to give to Gina Reinhardt, Adani Coal , water theiving companies, it’s a federal Govt issue, and they should be funding emergency services

And since the fossil fuel/coal industry is backing PM's party, things will most likely going to get worse. This is a comment from the deputy/vice PM few weeks back.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...mbusting-manure

quote:

However, McCormack took a strident line against those calling for an end to coalmining and, while acknowledging it was a factor, also suggested there had been “a lot of hysteria about climate change” in the commentary around the fires.

“Climate change is not the only factor that has caused these fires. There has been dry lightning strikes, there has been self-combusting piles of manure, there has been a lot of arsonists out there causing fire.”

He added: “For those running around saying we should abandon coal right now, what are we going to do with our electricity over summer if we shut them all down today? Coal provides almost two-thirds of our energy needs.”

Instead of increasing budget especially for preventing this sort of disaster or even acknowledge the problem, they are using these money for tax cuts to get more votes. Shits are going to suck :/

coke fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 3, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

self-combusting piles of manure

the greatest comedy is reality

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

People always underestimate the actual size of Australia.
It is as big as the continental USA but with only 25 million people so our population density is about 7 people per square mile or 3 per square km.
About 90% of Aussies live in cities or towns close to or on the coast, the other 10% live inland. The major population centres cluster on what is nicknamed the Boomerang Coast, running from Brisbane in the north down through Sydney and around to Melbourne and then Adelaide.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

as much as i feel for people losing their homes, they can and will rebuild or at least survive. donate to the koala hospital gofundme, or any of the other animal shelters and charities in the areas affected instead.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

luncheon meat posted:

Sitting here unable to do anything but wanting so much to get out there and help is a lovely feeling. Nature is a fucker sometimes.

Embarrassed by the PM and pretty much any politician who wants to make this all about politics and left vs right or whatever. It doesn't matter who thinks what or who wants to blame who right now but nup, gotta keep the punters scared and confused. loving media makes this country seem so poo poo.

Just think though, if this had happened 25-30 years ago we'd have lost so much more already. Small consolation but eh

You can always donate friend :)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A bit smokey in Melbourne today. Can barely see the cbd from the Bolte bridge.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

quote:

New South Wales police have arrested a 19-year-old for allegedly stealing from a vacant home in Batlow, and stealing a car which he later crashed. The occupants had evacuated ahead of the bushfires.

The man allegedly searched through the house and then stole a Ford Falcon sedan which was later seen being driven erratically in Batlow.

“Police initiated a pursuit, but it was terminated shortly after due to safety concerns. Soon after, officers located the sedan after it crashed into a tree.

The driver, a 19-year-old man, was taken to Wagga Wagga Base Hospital in a stable condition, where he remains under police guard.”

Officers searched the vehicle, finding a backpack with several items believed to be stolen, including jewellery, documentation and ammunition.

“This sort of behaviour will not be tolerated by police or the wider community, and we will take immediate action to bring these people before the courts,” deputy commissioner Gary Worboys said.

“I also ask members of the community to be vigilant – if you see a crime being committed, call triple zero immediately.”

welp :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Methanar posted:

For these videos of fire trucks driving through the woods, what are they actually trying to do. Evacuate people? Again I just feel this sort of thing would be pretty easy to track where its headed and you could leave before it all goes down. But I don't know anything about this situation.

I would suggest learning a bit about how it works as backburning and burnouts are and have been a fire fighting tactic for hundreds of years.

The trucks driving through fire are attempting to get to a safer place as they have been overrun by the fire they were fighting. It's alive. It moves around you and traps you in the blink of an eye.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

well why not posted:

We do take serious steps to prevent fires spreading, but please keep in mind Australia is approaching the size of continental Europe. No capital-c city is on fire, it's all small towns which usually are scattered hours from each other. That 5km strip may or may not contain a town or two, a lot of farms or even be 500km from any people.

You can't fire-break for a firestorm anyway, it's creating its own wind, throwing embers far ahead of it, and sucking up oxygen which further propels it along. These firestorms are also attacking territory very rarely touched by fire, unheard-of places like the west of Tasmania and the Snowy Mountains, places you associate with snow rather than fire.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

drunkill posted:

A bit smokey in Melbourne today. Can barely see the cbd from the Bolte bridge.

Its so hot that one of the buildings is melting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ewe2 posted:

You can't fire-break for a firestorm anyway, it's creating its own wind, throwing embers far ahead of it, and sucking up oxygen which further propels it along. These firestorms are also attacking territory very rarely touched by fire, unheard-of places like the west of Tasmania and the Snowy Mountains, places you associate with snow rather than fire.

Yeah, embers can travel up to 10km ahead of the fire front, depending on wind.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a man living under a rock I had no idea it was this bad; I made a small donation to the NSW fire brigade and I hope it helps. Hang in there, Australian goons.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

some idiot fucker posted:

self-combusting piles of manure

well why not posted:

the greatest comedy is reality

hi, as a composting expert this is probably the least stupid part of his statement. it's quite possible to get a large heap of manure to ignite, especially in hot conditions.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Methanar posted:

Even if funding for backburning hadn't been cut, it's one of those things that's extremely weather-permitting. You can't do it if it's too hot, too wet or too windy so it doesn't go out of control or with heavy smoke blowing directly toward towns and cities.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Gridlocked posted:

You can always donate friend :)

throwing some cash to the red cross today :)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Some fires have started because of a backburn getting out of control, so it’s a tactic that has to be used cautiously and in the exact right weather conditions.
The Australian fire season is starting earlier and ending later so the window for perfect backburn conditions has further narrowed, then add in years of drought, and well, you get what we have right now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jack B Nimble posted:

As a man living under a rock I had no idea it was this bad; I made a small donation to the NSW fire brigade and I hope it helps. Hang in there, Australian goons.

Thank you from Australia :)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Helith posted:

Some fires have started because of a backburn getting out of control, so it’s a tactic that has to be used cautiously and in the exact right weather conditions.
The Australian fire season is starting earlier and ending later so the window for perfect backburn conditions has further narrowed, then add in years of drought, and well, you get what we have right now.

I kinda figured this was the case too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

(bette midler is yelling at scott morrison on twitter)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt__LIfgXLU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tace Vim posted:

This is Australia's Chernobyl

Sadly it isn't, the former township of Wittenoom is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittenoom,_Western_Australia

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven’t been directly impacted by any of the latest fires, but the September ones were 20 kilometres on either side of me so we evacuated to the Gold Coast just in case, which of course almost immediately picked up all the smoke. It was relatively easy to buy a respirator at the time though thankfully, there weren’t any breadline style runs on them at the time so I assume the particulate levels were nowhere near what the act/vic/nsw are seeing atm.

Also here is a picture of a border collie on a navy evac ship

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That's basically what they do already and when fires do start they try and back burn into the fire to get it to stop but it doesn't always work.

This is what they're predicting for tomorrow in NSW. I wouldn't be surprised if all of those fires eventually join up.

Fantastic that’s totally where all my family is!

I’m an Aussie living in the US. I was home early December visiting my mother (recently diagnosed with ALS/motor neurone disease). It was hellish. We could see the smoke flying in and the first thing that hit you leaving the airport was the smell of fire and smoke. Driving up northwest to where my mum and most of family live (Hunter Valley) was eerie AF especially passing through Gosford area. We drove back down to Gosford for a doc appt for mum and there was ash in the air. My brother has asthma and had to get back on a preventative inhaler. He didn’t realise how bad he was til he finally got that inhaler going. I go back in February. No idea how it’ll be then.
Just text my dad asking how they’re going, he lives in the blue mountains. He sent me a map that shows essentially how he is right in between the edge of the Gospers Mt fire and the Green Wattle Creek fire. He says he’s not anxious yet although there have been days with smoke everywhere and blackened leaves falling from the sky. My dad is not known for his ability to overreact.

Scummo’s behavior has been entirely unsurprising. I know bloody evangelicals and the epic southern religious crazies here so you cannot shock me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Woah it's a carboat

https://twitter.com/cassiezervos/status/1212647850649108480

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This Sausage Dog and this Walking carpet are just chilling, about to go on a boat.

https://twitter.com/cassiezervos/status/1212886043919147009

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Miranda posted:

Fantastic that’s totally where all my family is!

I’m an Aussie living in the US. I was home early December visiting my mother (recently diagnosed with ALS/motor neurone disease). It was hellish. We could see the smoke flying in and the first thing that hit you leaving the airport was the smell of fire and smoke. Driving up northwest to where my mum and most of family live (Hunter Valley) was eerie AF especially passing through Gosford area. We drove back down to Gosford for a doc appt for mum and there was ash in the air. My brother has asthma and had to get back on a preventative inhaler. He didn’t realise how bad he was til he finally got that inhaler going. I go back in February. No idea how it’ll be then.
Just text my dad asking how they’re going, he lives in the blue mountains. He sent me a map that shows essentially how he is right in between the edge of the Gospers Mt fire and the Green Wattle Creek fire. He says he’s not anxious yet although there have been days with smoke everywhere and blackened leaves falling from the sky. My dad is not known for his ability to overreact.

Scummo’s behavior has been entirely unsurprising. I know bloody evangelicals and the epic southern religious crazies here so you cannot shock me.

I too live in the mountains and am currently crammed between green wattle and gospers With the leading edge of the fire to the north less than 10Km from my house. If the situation does get bad there isn't really anywhere to go either as there is just the single road in and out of the place. The other thing to remember with the smoke is it has a huge amount of particulate matter in it that settles onto things in the form of dust. The tiny amounts of rain that we have managed to get has just turned this dust into a coating that refuses to come off. I'd wash my car but we're only allowed to use buckets to wash things and I refuse to do it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Also here is a picture of a border collie on a navy evac ship

Any ship captained by a collie shall surely see shore safely! :dogwhistle:

Just chucked $50 Red Cross way. And keep up the amazing work Goons who are in what ever way, giving hands on help!

[Edit: I wish the news would stop playing smoko quotes. I'm trying to keep up with the latest news, really don't need to hear about what ever that tool has to say at the moment. ]

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 3, 2020

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I too live in the mountains and am currently crammed between green wattle and gospers With the leading edge of the fire to the north less than 10Km from my house. If the situation does get bad there isn't really anywhere to go either as there is just the single road in and out of the place. The other thing to remember with the smoke is it has a huge amount of particulate matter in it that settles onto things in the form of dust. The tiny amounts of rain that we have managed to get has just turned this dust into a coating that refuses to come off. I'd wash my car but we're only allowed to use buckets to wash things and I refuse to do it.

Good luck mate. Dad is in Leura. Just trying to assess how much he should worry. I dunno how close my mum is right now. Less so but also wheelchair bound so...
It sucks being so far away and unable to do poo poo.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Miranda posted:

Good luck mate. Dad is in Leura. Just trying to assess how much he should worry. I dunno how close my mum is right now. Less so but also wheelchair bound so...
It sucks being so far away and unable to do poo poo.

I'm in the same sort of area. I think they're prediciting Gospers to be the problem and if it does break containment it'll head towards the lower mountains rather than Leura. The current advice is for those on the North side of the highway and not the South.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

dr_rat posted:

Any ship captained by a collie shall surely see shore safely! :dogwhistle:

Just chucked $50 Red Cross way. And keep up the amazing work Goons who are in what ever way, giving hands on help!

[Edit: I wish the news would stop playing smoko quotes. I'm trying to keep up with the latest news, really don't need to hear about what ever that tool has to say at the moment. ]

Thank you for your generosity dear goon

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I live in the west of the Blue Mountains and have not had to worry too much about the fires, but the smoke is just insane. There have been whole weeks where you can’t see the sun and can only see 100 meters down the road. I run a few disability support houses and at least half of my residents have asthma or COPD and the only thing I really can do it make sure they are not exposed to the smoke as much as possible.

Climate change has bent Australia over and hosed it for the whole world to see. There are quite a few towns that have hit their “Zero Day” which means they have no water. There are kids 8-9 that have never seen green grass. Towns that do still have water out west have severe water restrictions in place. The town I live in has approx 9 months of water left and there are still cunts that are angry they can water their lawn. loving boomers indeed.

We are now supposed to be limited to 3 min showers in our area. No lawn or garden watering, car washing unless it hinders the car, no filling or topping up pool including kiddie pools. No real rain forecasted in the future either. Country is hosed. If I am bored I will drive around and report asshats that have green lawns.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Also I took my daughter on our annual holiday this week and we have to drive through the mountains tomorrow to get home. I have a good feeling we will end up extending our stay when home gets cut off from Sydney again.

Being an US expat it still seems amazing/insane that a vast majority of the firies are unpaid volunteers. They are great people who give up a lot to help out people they don’t know. Our government should be dragged out onto the street and flogged for stopping them from being paid. Sure Scummo said now some of them now can get up to $6k, but we all know that will turn out to be bullshit like everything else his party has promised.

EDIT: Also to top it off most of the people fighting the fires don’t have proper masks to protect them from the smoke.

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 3, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/callapilla/status/1212969697924173824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's heartening to hear the ADF has actually been deployed to help. I hadn't heard anything about that.

Actually paying the firies would be nice, though. And burning Rupert Murdoch at the stake for the damage he's done, but hey it's never a bad time to do that.