Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It's been weird, I left for warmer parts for Christmas and I come back and it's hotter than back home.

There's a sick bouldering gym in Norfolk (latitude) and Mt. Trashmore park in VA beach is pretty neat, but that's about the extent of things to do in the winter without driving more than 30 minutes I've found here.

I use to run at Mt trashmore when I was here a few years back.
Thinking about the Virginia war museum tomorrow if it’s open. Good ol holiday stand down. It’s at least nice weather today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

Thinking about the Virginia war museum tomorrow if it’s open. Good ol holiday stand down. It’s at least nice weather today.

I do shift work so :cry:

But yeah Trashmore is a dope spot for running, looks pretty, and pretty much the only game in town for hill sprints

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mechanical local control of the rudder is also only really for getting it amidships because you’re hand cranking a monstrous hydraulic system. Something like 30 cranks per degree, iirc.

Our DC1 kept a cordless drill with the right socket on it in aft steering and could whip the rudder around pretty fast. Not sure how long it would last but it would sure work in a pinch.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I imagine the beach at NASO Dam Neck in December would remind you a lot of Pac Beach if you miss your beach walking in a sweater.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

LingcodKilla posted:

I always thought the zoo in Norfolk and aquarium in VA Beach were nice. As I’ve moved and gotten additional points of reference my opinion of them both has increased. But also I may be a weirdo in that even before kids I liked zoos and aquariums solo or with the wife.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I imagine the beach at NASO Dam Neck in December would remind you a lot of Pac Beach if you miss your beach walking in a sweater.

I brought my neoprene suit.

Let’s do this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I sailed on a (small) ship that had a block and tackle rig for emergency steering.

Lol forever at cranking the rudder on a cargo ship though, if the hydraulics died you just lived with the rudder angle you had.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

I brought my neoprene suit.

Let’s do this.

Don't miss much about the Navy, but I do miss messing around with missiles, electronics from the late 70s, gattling guns, seeing the night sky without light pollution, and the beach at Dam Neck.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

SquirrelyPSU posted:

seeing the night sky without light pollution
Mood. Almost thought about trying to do another sea tour..... and then I remembered sea tours

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I always thought the zoo in Norfolk and aquarium in VA Beach were nice. As I’ve moved and gotten additional points of reference my opinion of them both has increased. But also I may be a weirdo in that even before kids I liked zoos and aquariums solo or with the wife.

I remember the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News being really kickass when I loved there.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Oh poo poo crabman! My wife and remember just reminded me about the lights event at the norfolk botanical garden. Also maybe if the zoo has their lights thing again it was cool before and once upon a time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Oh poo poo crabman! My wife and remember just reminded me about the lights event at the norfolk botanical garden. Also maybe if the zoo has their lights thing again it was cool before and once upon a time.

Botanical garden? Might be something to do with the parents when they visit

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ayo, I heard crabman is gonna ride the boat this time, so I wanna get him a care package sorted on top of whatever followup gift I send him. What do you boat boys need?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
K-Y, baby wipes, and shower shoes

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

K-Y, baby wipes, and shower shoes

KY, teen vogue, and shower shoes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wonder how fast crabman would get robbed on the boat if I gave him birkenstocks as shower shoes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That is waaaay too high class for shower shoes. So immediately most likely.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ded posted:

That is waaaay too high class for shower shoes. So immediately most likely.

Heh

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
What kind of loving clownshoe operation are we running here? You don't just send KY, you send hand sanitizer bottles that have been refilled with KY.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

And the mouthwash bottles are full of hand sanitizer, and the hand sanitizer bottles are full of mouthwash. Not my first rodeo dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

K-Y, baby wipes, and crocs.

I literally already have all these things with me.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

I literally already have all these things with me.

You get the E-7 MUST PROMOTE

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Pour one out for the Abe tonight, can't imagine they're coming home any time soon

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Red Crown posted:

Pour one out for the Abe tonight, can't imagine they're coming home any time soon

Ignore the first thing I posted.

They out chopped a few weeks ago so who loving knows.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 3, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Has Ike actually launched yet? I thought their group left without them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Has Ike actually launched yet? I thought their group left without them.

Look I got very drunk tonight because of orange man, stop judging.

Ike was out sometime last month. You're thinking of the Truman, who was supposed to relieve abe.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 3, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Man I was idly tossing the idea of doing reserve affiliation because i was bored (i was not actually doing this) but holy lol i feel so bad for any idiots stuck in the middle east right now

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
we just left the yards too

rip

lingcod I'll be back in Norfolk on saturday. if you wanted to grab food Sunday im down

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

we just left the yards too

rip

lingcod I'll be back in Norfolk on saturday. if you wanted to grab food Sunday im down

Sure that works.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Last day of formation, terminal starts Monday. I wish I had been a part of something in our Navy that mattered and had a mission

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

maffew buildings posted:

Last day of formation, terminal starts Monday. I wish I had been a part of something in our Navy that mattered and had a mission

Almost there. You did your part.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My community, in modern form, is a loving disgrace. Quite frankly I'm loving embarassed to have been a part of it and wish I had joined the French Legion.

As you were.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

May I inquire as to what community you were with?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

May I inquire as to what community you were with?

Hes a seabee

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It was not a positive experience, all in all

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You did your bit, you got your bennies. Go enjoy University or whatever life takes you free of burden

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Coming up on three years since I resigned my SWO commission. Was a prior e dawg as well. Spent all my twenties in the Navy. 12 years altogether.

Only now I am acclimatizing to civilian life. But looking back I'm glad I did it. Yes, even the crappy parts where I was doing barracks rover watch in January at 4AM in Great Lakes. Yes, even when I was doing 14 hours of shore patrol in Japan. Yes, the thousands of hours of watch stood on the bridge and CIC. Yes, all the face rippings and thankless activities I did. It's called service because you don't get any personal benefit from it. While my civilian peers were making gains in their personal and professional lives I was grinding it out for the Navy and the country, for better or for worse. It may have been pointless but I did what I was supposed to do.

It will take time, but take pride in honorably discharging and having served.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Congrats on getting out and getting to start your real life.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

Coming up on three years since I resigned my SWO commission. Was a prior e dawg as well. Spent all my twenties in the Navy. 12 years altogether.

Only now I am acclimatizing to civilian life. But looking back I'm glad I did it. Yes, even the crappy parts where I was doing barracks rover watch in January at 4AM in Great Lakes. Yes, even when I was doing 14 hours of shore patrol in Japan. Yes, the thousands of hours of watch stood on the bridge and CIC. Yes, all the face rippings and thankless activities I did. It's called service because you don't get any personal benefit from it. While my civilian peers were making gains in their personal and professional lives I was grinding it out for the Navy and the country, for better or for worse. It may have been pointless but I did what I was supposed to do.

It will take time, but take pride in honorably discharging and having served.

Sir please talk to the VA about your brain damage as a service connected disability. The navy succeeded in make mine and everyone I served with lives miserable and said service is neither what you "are supposed to do" nor healthy or fulfilling. Looking back upon the navy has many similarities to reminiscing about an abusive relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I have done more service and good for other people while teaching than I ever had or could in the Navy.