Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm sure the various republicans will be very concerned about this attack but are going to wait until they have all the facts and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.
https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status/1212904108157493253

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm sure the various republicans will be very concerned about this attack but are going to wait until they have all the facts and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.

Well the attack alone would be fine. Its Iran's response that will be less fine. And I can't see how Iran doesn't respond. Soleimani was like the poster boy of the hardliners. He was the dude helping out Assad in Syria. The dude visiting Nasrallah in Lebanon. The dude setting up militias to fight IS when it looked like Baghdad might fall. And whatever stuff he did that he didn't get photographed doing, probably poo poo in Yemen Afghanistan and elsewhere.

For this guy to be offed, and in such a blatant fashion just requires a response. I have no idea what it will be. And surely the US will be expected a response, and will have airstrikes or something lined up as a tit for tat. I'm usually the guy saying war with Iran won't happen because it'd be so loving stupid, but this time I'm not sure .

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In the other thread I said the revolution should draft the boomers first thing, but in all honesty Marco Rubio should be drafted and put at the front of the brigade

If he wants his war then he can go ahead and fight it personally. My generation is sick of being your cannon fodder.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

This will be the reaction from pretty much all Republicans while like 80% of Democrats will do the "very concerned" thing while still cheerleading this.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
They're basically all-in on "dude had it coming, and if Iran does anything, it's their fault for starting a war."

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So uh... how do Iranian citizens feel about this? Is this purely a military/geopolitical escalation or are regular Iranian (or Iraqi) people also going to see this as a casus belli?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Redmark posted:

So uh... how do Iranian citizens feel about this? Is this purely a military/geopolitical escalation or are regular Iranian (or Iraqi) people also going to see this as a casus belli?
I would expect the citizenry to be beyond pissed that their national hero got blown up in cold blood.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Redmark posted:

There's been a lot of resentment inside Iran regarding its adventurism inside Iraq, Syria and elsewhere. Its viewed as a waste of money, considering the severe economic problems the country has.

I don't know how popular Soleimani was personally. I'd say popular among the hawks. I don't know what reformers think of the guy.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Redmark posted:

The US killed a high-ranking foreign state official. By any sane definition, we pretty much declared war on Iran. Iraq would be well within its rights to expel the US from the country immediately for this.

I can’t speak for Iranians as a whole though and pretty much any pundit who claims to today is likely wrong.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Imagine the poo poo-eating grin on Bibi's face right now.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Retro42 posted:

The US killed a high-ranking foreign state official. By any sane definition, we pretty much declared war on Iran. Iraq would be well within its rights to expel the US from the country immediately for this.

I can't speak for Iranians as a whole though and pretty much any pundit who claims to today is likely wrong.

Yeah I see that much, but was wondering what people closer to the ground think. IMO there's a tendency for westerners (or people otherwise not culturally linked) to speak too much for people in the area based on only geopolitical concerns (which are valid, but not the only thing).

Like Grouchio's post, no offense dude but I don't really think you're an expert here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/macaronjoe/status/1212915684335869959?s=21

Well then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And guys that was not a serious take by me, just a predicted republican response.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Count Roland posted:

Imagine the poo poo-eating grin on Bibi's face right now.

I'm sure this will help his situation in Israel too.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm sure this will help his situation in Israel too.

What are the chances this is a false flag action by Israel to get Netanyahu out of trouble?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

SchrodingersCat posted:

What are the chances this is a false flag action by Israel to get Netanyahu out of trouble?
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1212924762827046918

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's not a false flag,the US confirmed it. That might be /on the behalf/ for him but it's, definitionally, not a false flag.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

lol Jesus Christ...

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Soleimani is basicaly the head of Irans CIA/spec ops and responsible for alot of the proxy conflicts in iraq and other places as well as syria. US had him on a kill list but never did it because he is a state official and pulling that trigger without a gently caress ton of cover would start poo poo. big.

Neither he nor Iran were 'responsible' for the conflicts but yes.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

no way

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Republicans gonna be ecstatic tomorrow!

https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/status/1212929187381698561

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1212929508543803392

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"Deterring". Uh huh. Thats whats gonna happen alright.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I know that Iran has the option to do nothing in return. Real talk, how unlikely is that? This seems like something they pretty much have to respond to in some way to me, but I'm also an idiot.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Republican politicians have wanted war with Iran a lot longer than Trump has. They aren't going along with it to kiss his rear end, this is what they wanted, and arguably he's the one kissing rear end by escalating for them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I guess we're about to find out if Iran's a paper tiger that's been bluffing their way through the intensifying skirmishing up until now. We absolutely started this fight when Trump tore up the Iran deal, and now we're escalating, so if Iran has any cards to play, we should be seeing them soon. They're still obviously by far the weaker country though, so taking the L could be the more rational course of action, even if war would also be bad for us.

I'm expecting Iranian attacks on US boats, bases, allied oil fields by morning personally

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hearing that on this thread is unusual. What did he do?

Helped start the blow the gently caress out of US transport IED industry in Iraq for one

He was extraordinarily effective in foiling US interests or allaying them for greater Iran influence

its like a combination of Che and Eisenhower just got blown up by the Soviets unusual times

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My good friend who is from Iraq is both very happy all those people are dead, but is also trying to figure out how to get his family out of the country temporarily.

I think that gets across the conflicted feelings over what’s happened.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I'm expecting Iranian attacks on US boats, bases, allied oil fields by morning personally

it's a great question. the hope and prayer is that they take it in the chin, smile, and do nothing. that requires a degree of restraint that is extremely, extremely unlikely

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Sinteres posted:

Republican politicians have wanted war with Iran a lot longer than Trump has. They aren't going along with it to kiss his rear end, this is what they wanted, and arguably he's the one kissing rear end by escalating for them.

Even Ben Sasse, who was 7 when the hostage crisis went down:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1212932222610788352?s=20

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1212933799253889024?s=20
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1212933801816539136?s=20

Lindsey finally managed to get one hand free I see.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Retro42 posted:

I can’t speak for Iranians as a whole though and pretty much any pundit who claims to today is likely wrong.

Trump is mulling giving clemency to the blackwater guy who started the nissour square massacre so yeah I dont see Iraq backing down

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Their morning or EST? It's already morning there. I'm not sure what the desire/capability is for most nations with regards to day/night attacks. Or if it even matters when retaliating against US forces.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I am expecting attacks on allied oil fields and shipping. I am also expecting that Iran will try to get OPEC to gently caress up oil production, but the US has kind of cut that leash.

If Iran attacks actual US bases or boats then I think all bets are off.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hearing that on this thread is unusual. What did he do?

you know how Iraq turned into a proxy war between America and Iran that Iran resoundingly, overwhelmingly won

he gets an awful lot of the credit. got a lot of US soldiers killed, got a lot of Iraqis loyal to the US killed, and was the guy who turned ISIS back when it looked like they might take Baghdad. there's a reason we'd been looking for any opportunity to get him dead in a plausibly deniable way for decades: he was very, very good at his job.

and one of the ways he was good at it was you needed a very plausibly deniable way to kill him, because it was well understood at all levels that his death would result in extremely bloody retaliation on the people who killed him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Very cool of Graham to openly threaten to murder civilians.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1212933800914755584

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
One of the people arrested by the US Marines in planning the embassy attack was Hadi Al-Amiri. who was actually part of a small Iranian delegation that visited the white house back in 2011. Amiri was the transportation minister, however he also fought on the side of the Iranians, as part of the Badr Brigade, during the Iran–Iraq war.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Their morning or EST? It's already morning there. I'm not sure what the desire/capability is for most nations with regards to day/night attacks. Or if it even matters when retaliating against US forces.

EST

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
If the prominent leader of a foreign military that the US is hostile to was confident enough to openly set foot in Iraq (as opposed to sending underlings), a country that the US has military presence in, doesn't that mean there must have been some sort of tacit understanding/safe passage between the US and Iran?

So isn't this essentially an assassination?

This is something on the level of North Korea assassinating an American general in South Korea right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1212778092646871041?s=21

Ayup, they're just straight-up declaring war on the PMU.