Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Assassin + COIL-M/L is the jackpot of the HM box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah having since picked up an assassin and a COIL-M and (And a hunchback-4G) The assassin is just racing around the map and obliterating whatever it fires at.

It also just frankly looks amazing.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jedit posted:

That was the first thing I tried. I'm going to see if I can start a new campaign, sad though I will be to lose one where I got two Highlanders in one mission and already had a Marauder to lop heads.

I think if you've gone to a new planet that means something's still buggered in your install. (Making a new test career real quick is a good plan though.)

Try verifying files again. I know you already did, but I had similar problems when I was trying to do 1.6->1.8 and for some reason it needed multiple passes of verify before it updated everything.

Also the FYLS log mod and look at what it says.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 2, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lazyhound posted:

Assassin + COIL-M/L is the jackpot of the HM box.

You really need the L. The M hits at close range and then only for 100, so you can core Mechs sometimes but don't tear the whole side off a light the way you do with the bigger gun. It does have the slight edge of being virtually heat neutral though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's been my experience as well on both a campaign and career post HM. Go full cash until you can buy/build a well-equipped lance, then do harder contracts with full salvage. TBH the salvage on low-skull missions is usually trash anyhow.

I had an assault after the second planet in my first post-Heavy Metal run. And I started with two Centurions, an Urbie, and an Assassin from the box.

That one ended in my first bankruptcy because I waited too long to sell all my extra mechs, was in mid-transit when a project finished, and ordered up a Hospital believing that you paid all your transit costs up front instead of being charged per jump. Ironman meant I couldn’t go back and cancel the bankruptcy by scrapping a few mechs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked this up over break plus all the DLC after bouncing off it and refunding it about a year ago and have been having a good time so far in the story mode. My one issue right now is after getting access to the garage and shop and outfitting and all that it's kind of.. a lot thrown at you at once. I played a decent amount of MW:O years ago but my eyes still kind of glaze over when I'm looking at the mech outfitting screen, in particular knowing which weapons are optimal for which situation and mech. I don't know if it's like this in Battletech but I distinctly remember there being lots of "trap" options for mechs that are inferior to their counterparts for various reasons. Is there something like a concise guide or video on how to outfit a mech, or even like a tier guide of which mechs are best for their specific weight class?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

explosivo posted:

I picked this up over break plus all the DLC after bouncing off it and refunding it about a year ago and have been having a good time so far in the story mode. My one issue right now is after getting access to the garage and shop and outfitting and all that it's kind of.. a lot thrown at you at once. I played a decent amount of MW:O years ago but my eyes still kind of glaze over when I'm looking at the mech outfitting screen, in particular knowing which weapons are optimal for which situation and mech. I don't know if it's like this in Battletech but I distinctly remember there being lots of "trap" options for mechs that are inferior to their counterparts for various reasons. Is there something like a concise guide or video on how to outfit a mech, or even like a tier guide of which mechs are best for their specific weight class?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/htmlview?sle=true

Sort by "tons free" (which is the actual weight of weapons+armor+equipment you can put on a mech) and you will see which ones are unusually bad for their weight class. The (poorly explained in-game) reason is that these mechs have a larger, heavier engine, which lets them move fast for their weight class, but at the expense of actually be able to have weapons & armor.

I really have no use for the superfast lights because they just can't do poo poo (unless you have COIL weapons that build damage based on evasion, which is based on ground speed.)

The only real trap in the medium mechs is the Cicada, which is basically just a trash light in a worse initiative class. The Assassin, Vulcan and Phoenix Hawk added by the Heavy Metal DLC look :effort: on paper but this is made up for somewhat by their special quirks. The Crab and Trebuchet are a bit underwhelming but still usable. The Hunchback, Centurion and Enforcer have the most tons free outside the super rare Griffin 2N that's missing from that chart.

Of the heavy mechs only the Qucikdraw and Dragon are genuinely poo poo. All the rest basically just scale up by weight, with the 60 ton Rifleman having the exact same speed as the 75 ton Orion. The Archer and Warhammer have nice quirks and the Maraudier is fantastic. The 6b version of the Black Knight is also a comical murder machine. The Grasshopper is great if you load up all the support hardpoints with machine guns and/or small lasers and use it for a short range backstabber/face melter. The Orion is the most versatile of the widely available heavies.

In the assault class, the Victor and Zeus are basically just worse Orions, the Cyclops Q is marginal, and the Banshee 3E is trash. The Banshee 3M is only good if you want to build a punchbot full of support weapons that can't do much else. The Cyclops Z is bad on paper but is worth it for the Battle Computer (+1 initiative for everyone, including itself.) The Bull Shark M3, Annihilator and Atlas II are ridiculously overpowered and the Highlander 732b and Bull Shark MAZ are great too.

Trash weapons to remove immediately due to poor weight efficiency, feeble damage or high heat:

AC/2, AC/10
LRM5, LRM10
SRM2
PPC
ER PPC
ER ML/LL

Efficient weapons that are almost always a good idea:

Medium lasers
SRM4 and SRM6
Snub PPC
AC/20
LBX autocannons (except the 20X, an AC/20 is almost always better instead)
Ultra autocannons (the UAC20 gets a little stupid with the heat output/recoil penalties/tons of ammo needed but is HILARIOUS to use)
LRM15 and LRM20
Small lasers and machine guns (especially on mechs with bunches of support hardpoints like the Firestarter and Grasshopper)
COIL weapons (on fast mechs)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. I think almost all of the mechs I have are equipped with weapons in the "trash" category.

I'm also glad to hear that the fast lights are confirmed to be useless, the one they start you with got obliterated in my first battle because it was briefly exposed and blown the gently caress up. I guess the idea is it's nice to have a fast spotter for long range missiles, and the speed increases evasion from what I gather but I never wanted that thing in LOS to anything because of it's lack of armor.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

explosivo posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. I think almost all of the mechs I have are equipped with weapons in the "trash" category.

I'm also glad to hear that the fast lights are confirmed to be useless, the one they start you with got obliterated in my first battle because it was briefly exposed and blown the gently caress up. I guess the idea is it's nice to have a fast spotter for long range missiles, and the speed increases evasion from what I gather but I never wanted that thing in LOS to anything because of it's lack of armor.

Most stock loadouts are bad. The best thing to do if you're stuck with superlights is to remove any jump jets and bump up the armor some, and accept that you can't do much with them but run around and try to shot other lights in the back with a couple ML or whatever. Unless you get a COIL, which basically turns walk speed into exploding enemies.

Also many lights don't even max out the head armor, which is... very bad. :psyboom:

The AC/5 isn't amazing even with ++ variants, but you can come out ahead by replacing 2 AC/2 with 1 AC/5 on mechs like the Blackjack and Jagermech. Unless you luck into UAC2s and/or LB2Xs, which are outright good.

Replace a PPC with either a bunch of ML, or if you don't have enough energy hardpoints a LL and other stuff. The large laser isn't amazing but it's much more usable than the PPC (40 damage for 5 tons and 18 heat instead of 50 damage for 6 tons and 35 heat.) Or a snub PPC if you find one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ultra ACs can turn mediocre mechs into amazing ones with a bit of planning too. The UAC5 is 1 ton more than an AC5, very heat friendly, and you can slap two on a Jagermech with some LLs or something for pretty respectable damage.

Infernos are neat but there really aren't a lot of mechs you'd want to put them on.

PPCs are almost never worth the heat though they have their uses in the early game against lights and mediums, when no one can hit and the sensor debuff actually matters.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

One other thing to look out for is some mechs have low armor compared to what's "normal" for their weight. The Shadowhawk 2D and Jagermech have really low armor stock. But all mechs of the same weight can be modded to the same max armor, so nothing is stopping you from removing something so you can add 1-2 more tons of armor or whatever.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I got an assault before I got a heavy in my current run, which is pretty funny. It was enough to push me a little bit further so now I have a VTR-9B, a BNC-3S, a CPLT-C4 and a CTF-1X, with everything else being 50-55 mediums and a firestarter.

I don't really know what the meta is with the new stuff, so is there anything I should keep an eye out for in the shops? I've put the victor with a LB 20-X, two ML and a SL and will probably go low armor on the catapult to turn it into a full on missile boat, but I have no idea what to do with the others. large lasers and a UAC for the Banshee?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

KoldPT posted:

I got an assault before I got a heavy in my current run, which is pretty funny. It was enough to push me a little bit further so now I have a VTR-9B, a BNC-3S, a CPLT-C4 and a CTF-1X, with everything else being 50-55 mediums and a firestarter.

I don't really know what the meta is with the new stuff, so is there anything I should keep an eye out for in the shops? I've put the victor with a LB 20-X, two ML and a SL and will probably go low armor on the catapult to turn it into a full on missile boat, but I have no idea what to do with the others. large lasers and a UAC for the Banshee?

Snub PPC++ are great. ML++ (+10 damage) and SRM6+++ are still awesome. SL+++ rules too, but the lostech ERSL and SPL can be worth using too.

I like all the LBX except for the 20. Just use a regular AC/20 instead IMO.

The UAC2 and UAC5 are great. Not *sure* the UAC10 is great compared to the AC/20 except on an Annihilator, where the damage boost from its chassis quirk makes it a headchopper that fires twice per attack. Like I said earlier, the UAC20 is hilarious if you've got all the tonnage to spare for the ammo and heat sinks you need (and maybe a ballistic TTS+++) but it's the point where the ultra downsides become way more noticeable.

Gauss+ (-2 tons) is nice, Gauss++ is overpriced unless you're just :homebrew: anyway. It criticals through armor now so it's more powerful than it was before 1.8.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

Snub PPC++ are great. ML++ (+10 damage) and SRM6+++ are still awesome. SL+++ rules too, but the lostech ERSL and SPL can be worth using too.

I like all the LBX except for the 20. Just use a regular AC/20 instead IMO.

The UAC2 and UAC5 are great. Not *sure* the UAC10 is great compared to the AC/20 except on an Annihilator, where the damage boost from its chassis quirk makes it a headchopper that fires twice per attack. Like I said earlier, the UAC20 is hilarious if you've got all the tonnage to spare for the ammo and heat sinks you need (and maybe a ballistic TTS+++) but it's the point where the ultra downsides become way more noticeable.

Gauss+ (-2 tons) is nice, Gauss++ is overpriced unless you're just :homebrew: anyway. It criticals through armor now so it's more powerful than it was before 1.8.

You can slap the UAC10 on a Cent (which I got to start with in career mode) and it will ruin anything's day for about an ingame year.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RBA Starblade posted:

You can slap the UAC10 on a Cent (which I got to start with in career mode) and it will ruin anything's day for about an ingame year.
I got to start with a Cent and an LBX 20 and it is hilarious watching lights evaporate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some of the trash weapons are OK with ++ variants. The 4 ERML++ you get with the new spoiler mech is a good example.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

KoldPT posted:

The CPLT-C4 is one of those rare 65+ ton mechs with 4 Missile Hardpoints, and is best used as a 4xSRM6 + 2 ML splatapult.

Any 65+ ton heavy with 2 M hardpoints works as a 2xLRM20 Breaching Shot boat.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some of the trash weapons are OK with ++ variants. The 4 ERML++ you get with the new spoiler mech is a good example.

The weapons that are always bad are:

AC/2
ER PPC
ER LL
LPL
PPC

It's marginal, but as you said the + damage and tonnage reduction variants can push some of the worse-than-mediocre weapons into OK territory.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When just starting out should I be spending most of my money making one baller rear end mech that can carry the group of premade default mechs or should I be spending the money I have on adjusting the starter mechs to make them halfway decent so I can do missions for money?

Also is it worth skipping the story mode and going right to career? Or are they basically the same just without the cutscenes?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

explosivo posted:

When just starting out should I be spending most of my money making one baller rear end mech that can carry the group of premade default mechs or should I be spending the money I have on adjusting the starter mechs to make them halfway decent so I can do missions for money?

Also is it worth skipping the story mode and going right to career? Or are they basically the same just without the cutscenes?

At this point they're effectively different game modes (think WOTC to XCOM2). Story puts a few handrails on you and gives you some interesting bespoke missions which also hand out enormous piles of cash. You'll never feel resource threatened. Career opens up the map and gives you Flashpoints (sequences of missions with special rewards), but is far more stingy to start with).

I'd play the story first, then restart and play a career. In story I'd just 'do missions' and up-tier mechs and equipment as salvage comes in, in career mode I think it's definitely far more difficult to lever yourself up the mech tree through salvage and you want your money to be going towards buying assault mech bits so that you can do the more difficult contracts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conspiratiorist posted:

The CPLT-C4 is one of those rare 65+ ton mechs with 4 Missile Hardpoints, and is best used as a 4xSRM6 + 2 ML splatapult.

Any 65+ ton heavy with 2 M hardpoints works as a 2xLRM20 Breaching Shot boat.

The weapons that are always bad are:

AC/2
ER PPC
ER LL
LPL
PPC

It's marginal, but as you said the + damage and tonnage reduction variants can push some of the worse-than-mediocre weapons into OK territory.

I love Yang's description for the C4. "What happens if you run out of missiles? Well you have jets right?"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

explosivo posted:

First order of business is making quick fixes on all your mechs, ie remove JJs on Lights to max armor or switching a BJs AC/2s for a single AC/5. Next up is full loadout overhauls, starting with whatever mech would benefit the most - in campaign and non-random career mode starts it's the Vindicator. This requires a bunch of stock equipment so generally will happen after you take a couple missions with salvage collecting mlas/srms/heatsinks/jjs.

At this point you shouldn't be spending money too much, as refits are cheap and low diff missions can drop most of the bits you need, but once you're settled you can start collecting money more earnestly to buy good variant equipment pieces. Good equipment doesn't care much in which mech it goes though, it all helps the lance in some way.

In career mode it's also not unwise to focus on money early (perhaps after collecting some salvage weapons) to try and buy a good medium and snowball your gains, but in campaign mode you start with 3 mediums already and get an excellent one for free pretty early on so that's not a consideration.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alchenar posted:

At this point they're effectively different game modes (think WOTC to XCOM2). Story puts a few handrails on you and gives you some interesting bespoke missions which also hand out enormous piles of cash. You'll never feel resource threatened. Career opens up the map and gives you Flashpoints (sequences of missions with special rewards), but is far more stingy to start with).

I'd play the story first, then restart and play a career. In story I'd just 'do missions' and up-tier mechs and equipment as salvage comes in, in career mode I think it's definitely far more difficult to lever yourself up the mech tree through salvage and you want your money to be going towards buying assault mech bits so that you can do the more difficult contracts.

Alright sounds good, yeah I just barely got into the story mode, really just did my first mission after it opens up but found myself kind of paralyzed by choice when given all of these options. The info on this page will definitely help when I get back to it tonight though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

explosivo posted:

Alright sounds good, yeah I just barely got into the story mode, really just did my first mission after it opens up but found myself kind of paralyzed by choice when given all of these options. The info on this page will definitely help when I get back to it tonight though.

Oh - don't try to fiddle with your mechs more than marginally before you get the Argo (it's not far in, just the third story mission). Everything before that point is really extended prologue.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Oh - don't try to fiddle with your mechs more than marginally before you get the Argo (it's not far in, just the third story mission). Everything before that point is really extended prologue.

Also until you have the Argo with a couple of mech bay upgrades, doing work on your mechs takes a shitload of time. Only redo your mechs right before travelling between systems early on for that reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone is going to magfest in DC it sounds like the battletech pods will be there again. And Duncan Fisher! :v:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Jedit posted:

You really need the L. The M hits at close range and then only for 100, so you can core Mechs sometimes but don't tear the whole side off a light the way you do with the bigger gun. It does have the slight edge of being virtually heat neutral though.

It’s 125 if you use a pilot with the skill that gives you an extra evasion pip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

It’s 125 if you use a pilot with the skill that gives you an extra evasion pip.

Which you don't in the early game when COILs are most useful. I always like to have a high speed COIL mech around for weight-restricted Flashpoints, but they won't feature in my lances most of the time.

Conspiratiorist posted:

First order of business is making quick fixes on all your mechs, ie remove JJs on Lights to max armor or switching a BJs AC/2s for a single AC/5.

If you're doing anything at all to a stock Blackjack, switch the goddamn ammo out of the CT. Even at the start this only takes a day, so do it before you advance the clock to claim your crate.

Whoever said there was no such thing as a bad BJ was lying.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I put ammo in the head because it's a smaller target

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ammo is stored in the ball joints

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Sometimes steam is jackass with verifying OR youve got some left over mod files being a jackass, so I recommend deleting those contracts, removing the mods, then verifying, testing that, then reinstalling the mod stuff. IDK if its just a placebo effect, but actualy deleting stuff from the directory seems like it will make steam kick itself into dling its job properly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

Ammo is stored in the ball joints

:golfclap:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

I put ammo in the head because it's a smaller target

I put ammo in the head so I get three parts salvage. :colbert:

Actually, how do location crits to the head work? If your ammo can only go boom if the hit penetrates head armour then you're probably dead anyway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jedit posted:

I put ammo in the head so I get three parts salvage. :colbert:

Actually, how do location crits to the head work? If your ammo can only go boom if the hit penetrates head armour then you're probably dead anyway.

eh...there is still structure there, even though it's a small value.
I've had head hits that got the armor to zero and damaged the underlying structure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Gauntlet mission type owns lmao, 12v8 to 12v12 holy poo poo

e: Things I learned today: If you DFA with a broken leg, the torso explodes again. RIP Inferno++, Arm Mod++, Dekker's Dignity (but not his life :toot:)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 3, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Heh, reminds me of when I went to do a DFA on a downed enemy, Glitch was in her Stalker. Not only did she completely miss one leg exploded.

That last the last time I tried a DFA.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There's an achievement for killing both an enemy mech and your own with the same DFA.

It's the best achievement in the game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Make DFA damage scale with the height difference. If my mech is standing on a mountain and my target is at a way lower elevation, I want to leave a crater on impact.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I completed the campaign in 387 days! I could definitely have done it sub 200 if I had considered looking up where the next misisons would be and getting the drive upgrades faster. My final lance was an Atlas 2, Awesome (occasionally a Battlemaster instead), Stalker, and the Royal Highlander.

VIctoria is actually a terror to fight if you fail to hit her in the with your AC20s, UAC20s or Gauss Rifles on turn 1 like Glitch did the first time. :haw:

Groetgaffel posted:

There's an achievement for killing both an enemy mech and your own with the same DFA.

It's the best achievement in the game.

lmao, what's the name of that one?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Keltar posted:

Heh, reminds me of when I went to do a DFA on a downed enemy, Glitch was in her Stalker. Not only did she completely miss one leg exploded.

You just need to DFA with the right 'Mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
"Oh look it's an Urbanmech--- HE'S GOT A GUN."