Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Day Man posted:

I think you guys are arguing two different things. We shouldn't ignore voters in red states, but we also shouldn't try to win them over by making both parties more and more conservative. The way to energize the non-voters is not making the democratic party indistinguishable from the republican party. Get those non-voters in the red states to vote for real progressive ideas by selling them on the potential of how their lives could improve and what massive infrastructure investment can do for jobs, etc. Combat the disinformation campaign that has turned them away from trying to change anything.

Then you end up with small towns in Texas building government-run and funded grocery stores voting Republican so they can keep killing minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1212009546174074881

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I was supposed to have a great career telling other women to get back in the kitchen, like Phyllis Schlafly did!

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

VitalSigns posted:

I was supposed to have a great career telling other women to get back in the kitchen, like Phyllis Schlafly did!

Phyllis would be a strong contender for "worst person ever born with a vagina" if Maggie Thatcher didn't exist

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dickbutt Ouroboros posted:

I think people misunderstand just how rural a lot of the country is. Walmart and MacDonalds were a 40 mile drive from where I grew up, and it gets way worse than that.

The US is dotted with tiny towns of a couple hundred to a few thousand people that are full of proudly ignorant, hateful, racist people living in poverty. The only joy they have in life is pissing off libs. Luckily the median age in those places is like 65 so they’ll be nothing but ruins soon. Empty ruins with more representation in government than an actual city.

lmao yeah, rural is like maybe six people a square mile who the gently caress is putting up a giant box store there

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CharlestheHammer posted:

oh I meant attitude wise, both are insanely racist and homophobic. Both are usually nice to your face but will poo poo on people hard once out of earshot. Stuff like that

rural people are racist and homophobic bc their community is insular and resistant to change
suburban people are racist and homophobic bc suburbs were invented for upper middle class bigots who work in the city but refuse to live near those people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

rural people are racist and homophobic bc their community is insular and resistant to change
suburban people are racist and homophobic bc suburbs were invented for upper middle class bigots who work in the city but refuse to live near those people

you are functionally saying the same thing. Both are insular and for the most part even Suburbs are born to be in those communities now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah white flight was 50 years ago, now people live in the suburbs because they can't afford to live in the newly gentrified urban center

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

TheKennedys posted:

Phyllis would be a strong contender for "worst person ever born with a vagina" if Maggie Thatcher didn't exist

Oh hoho who's this fool forgetting that Ayn Rand was alive at some point in the past.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think goons have kind of over corrected on rural hate where they now view then in this weird state where they can do no wrong

Its a combo of "i hate the suburbs so loving much, nothing else is allowed to be as bad" and "my idea of the revolution doesn't work if the poor rurals wont be the proletarian vanguard, therefore they have to be secretly good."

It kinda misses that the data points to higher education being the cure for racist attitudes, and you can't easily get that in a rural environment. Lessening racist attitudes is probably the biggest key to getting folks to vote left wing.

Focusing on trying to activate nonvoters is a good idea, but given the average ages in rural areas, you're talking about activating a bunch of mid to late 50's white folks? To vote Dem? Yeah there's rural minorities, but how electorally viable they could be depends heavily on your state. Georgia, the Carolinas, sure. Kansas? Nebraska? Iowa?

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Good education and access to information in general helps but that requires higher taxes and letting those elite liberals with a master degree who make 60 grand a year after two decades of work to teach some brown kid next to their smarter white kid the same Obama brain washing science

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

there are lots and lots of people who will never care how much they get: if someone else is getting something too they are being cheated. that old "we'll give you five dollars but your neighbor gets ten" thing. 99% of trump voters absolutely would turn down good things if it means someone else gets something too.

:lol: that's giving them far too much credit. they would be livid even if they got ten dollars but their neighbors got five.

the rationale is more "i'd be fine with improving my life but NOT if it means THEY get their lives improved somewhat less!"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah white flight was 50 years ago, now people live in the suburbs because they can't afford to live in the newly gentrified urban center

what? isn't it MORE expensive to live in the suburbs though?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Depends, if the city has absurd rents then suburbs wind up cheaper even when accounting for a commute

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr Interweb posted:

in my nearest metro area, boston, absolutely not, at least based on price per square foot. cant build a mcmansion in copley square or whatever

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

:lol: that's giving them far too much credit. they would be livid even if they got ten dollars but their neighbors got five.

The thought experiment is "get five but your neighbors get ten" or "lose five and your neighbors lose ten".

The idea is that folks who pick option 1 are primarily motivated by self interest or altruism. Option 2 are folks motivated by spite. In the US the R's have pretty much locked up the folks who pick option 2. The hope is Bernie can aim some of them at the billionaires, but racism is one hell of a strong trigger.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Why does Tennessee have so many counties :psyduck:?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Why does Tennessee have so many counties :psyduck:?

some states like Georgia had laws on the book back in the day that a resident would need to be able to walk to their county seat in less than a day, meaning a trillion counties

that this also helped enshrine reactionary rule is a happy side effect and CERTAINLY not a big reason why the laws were passed i the first place

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Epic High Five posted:

some states like Georgia had laws on the book back in the day that a resident would need to be able to walk to their county seat in less than a day, meaning a trillion counties

that this also helped enshrine reactionary rule is a happy side effect and CERTAINLY not a big reason why the laws were passed i the first place

yeah, it's why iowa has 99 counties

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Epic High Five posted:

If you were fat enough, or otherwise unable to walk, your house should be your county seat.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you were fat enough, or otherwise unable to walk, your house should be your county seat.

My toilet is the county seat.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The thought experiment is "get five but your neighbors get ten" or "lose five and your neighbors lose ten".

The idea is that folks who pick option 1 are primarily motivated by self interest or altruism. Option 2 are folks motivated by spite. In the US the R's have pretty much locked up the folks who pick option 2. The hope is Bernie can aim some of them at the billionaires, but racism is one hell of a strong trigger.
BlackWhitestone's ratio: It is better to let 9 innocent persons get executed than 1 guilty man go free

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

The only city I've seen where that's even close to true is Detroit. There's usually like a couple rich zipcodes on the outskirts of town but even downtown Baltimore and Pittsburgh are fancy compared to county.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

HR 71: Yo Momma So Fat She Got Her Own Council

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Jan 1, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/autocannibal/status/1210251987448745984

This guy needs to trust the plan, Q/Trump is only pretending to ban vapes as a ruse to draw out the Deep State.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"NEITHER party is helping! Not the party that helped a little NOR the party running on specifically NOT helping me! No one!"

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Agean90 posted:

Depends, if the city has absurd rents then suburbs wind up cheaper even when accounting for a commute

yeah, the Cleveland metro area is like that. living in the actual city is expensive as poo poo, but the surrounding suburbs are fairly cheap. as you get further out you either have the choice of paying too much to live in a semi-rural shithole with a ridiculous commute to anything; or paying way too much to live in a depressing suburb full of chain restaurants, big box stores, and douchebags.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

TheKennedys posted:

Got to go with Thatcher since she got to weild actual power, where Schafely got told to gently caress off by her allies when she tried to get an actual political appointment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PotatoJudge posted:

Got to go with Thatcher since she got to weild actual power, where Schafely got told to gently caress off by her allies when she tried to get an actual political appointment.

Also Thatcher pretty much kicked off a right ward spin for the UK and also a aping of US privatization / "Free market is best" stupidity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grape posted:

Where is this data about how rural poor white people vote? Or don't?
Eakins' "The Five Types of Trump Voters" is a good start.

It's also trivially easy to look up statistics on voter turnout and demography, and learn really mindblowing poo poo like "minorities live in red states, quite a lot of them actually."

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Halloween Jack posted:

Eakins' "The Five Types of Trump Voters" is a good start.

I just read this article on the topic. My dad's side of the family fits really well with the "Anti-Elite" category. He voted Obama in 08, McCain in 2012 and Trump in 2016. It's funny, my dad told me just a month ago that he was a fan of Kasich in 2016. The article struggles to figure out why they don't vote Democrat. It suggests that candidates who take a more "moderate" stance on immigration could win their favor. That's partially true, but maybe not important actually. I think there are some other details which could be relevant.

First of all, his family has usually voted Republican. My grandpa and grandma are/were both conservative. Political socialization is important in forming individual political beliefs, especially when the person doesn't bother getting informed (which happens to be the case with the Anti-Elites).

Second, he sees government as rigged towards "elites" which might be broadly lumped as the rich, government employees, and city liberals. When they hear about proposals for universal healthcare or free education, they ask "where is that money gonna come from?" My dad and grandpa live in Pennsylvania. When I visited for Thanksgiving and we were driving up to eat with family, my grandpa started talking about this "rain tax". His perception was that Harrisburg, the capital, was polluting the Susquehanna River, but they wanted everyone else to pay to clean it up with a "rain tax". He was also talking about how good the government employees have it, getting paid for their hotel stays and stuff like that. The perception is that government takes money from people like him to fund the elites.

Another side of that coin is doubt that government programs can be trusted to reliably provide the services they promise into the future. I remember having a conversation with my stepmom about single payer healthcare. Basically, her concern was that such a program might be repealed if a hostile admin comes into power. Like, what's the point of signing onto a public healthcare plan if it could be repealed 4 years on and then you lose all your benefits?

Some other details. Many people in the family have served in the military, they have lots of pictures hanging up on the walls and promote charities for vets on Facebook and stuff like that. They also over-hype their native american heritage; we have dreamcatchers, paintings and busts of native american people, all sorts of kitschy stuff for people who want to feel like they're native american without having any of the traditions. I heard when I grew up about our immigrant heritage and how many nationalities I come from. They're not totally opposed to illegal immigrants, but there is some concern that the borders need to stay strong supposedly to prevent terrorists, sex/drug traffickers, and other unsavory people from getting into the country.

I'm not endorsing these viewpoints, just giving an insight. I don't have good recommendations for how to win such voters over. But I would say they like populist slogans criticizing the rich and government. They aren't opposed to unions but they're afraid that unions don't have the power to actually do anything and they would just wind up losing their jobs. I would like to say they could be potential Bernie voters, but again they have lots of skepticism about attempts to change things through government.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the derail but vaping isn't meaningfully different from smoking right? Like, you're still inhaling harmful poo poo into your lungs but it's flavored juice instead of traditional tobacco right?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry for the derail but vaping isn't meaningfully different from smoking right? Like, you're still inhaling harmful poo poo into your lungs but it's flavored juice instead of traditional tobacco right?

Smoking you're inhaling burnt carcinogens. Vaping, you're inhaling water and glycerin/glycol which studies have found to be like 0.0000000002% as bad as cigs. Basically it's as bad as inhaling exhaust from a passing car or just being outdoors.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you're speaking in terms of nicotine specifically - you're still going to suffer the addictive qualities of the nicotine, and vaping can deliver a ton of nicotine very quickly. But as above, the problems with smoking extend beyond just the nicotine. The nicotine is what keeps you coming back, and it's much easier to hit a vape than a cigarette in most situations, and the perception of it being safer makes people less likely to think twice about hitting it.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Is Trump a bad enough dude to save this guy's fiance

https://mobile.twitter.com/JONATHA96296042/status/1211802784296652800

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tell her to drive drunk and run down a british teenager. (note: only works if you’re an ambassador)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
STUCK IN ENGLAND

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Philthy posted:

Smoking you're inhaling burnt carcinogens. Vaping, you're inhaling water and glycerin/glycol which studies have found to be like 0.0000000002% as bad as cigs. Basically it's as bad as inhaling exhaust from a passing car or just being outdoors.

that doesn't sound as bad as what i've heard people claiming that it has cancer causing effects similar (and according to some, even worse than) to cigarrettes

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The only city I've seen where that's even close to true is Detroit. There's usually like a couple rich zipcodes on the outskirts of town but even downtown Baltimore and Pittsburgh are fancy compared to county.

hmm, interesting. i suppose i'm just speaking from experience, but as someone in L.A., while our renting prices are pretty high, they're generally higher in the suburbs. for example, you could have a 1 br apt in the burbank metro area be like $2,500/mo. but if you tried to rent a place in the Burbank Hills, you'd be lucky to find anything under $5,000/mo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

red19fire posted:

Tell her to drive drunk and run down a british teenager. (note: only works if you’re an ambassador)
The trick for getting out of England as a foreign working class person is to go full blackface. Might not get sent to the US though, but Jamaica is closer at least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
TRAPPED IN BREXIT FACTORY, SEND HELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

that doesn't sound as bad as what i've heard people claiming that it has cancer causing effects similar (and according to some, even worse than) to cigarrettes

Part of the problem with vaping is that a whole lot of the long term effects are just unknown. Like how Vitamin E acetate was safe according the FDA, but only to ingest. People started putting it in vapes, and it seriously hurt people. It was mainly use by blackmarket pens, but even some legitimate manufacturers used it too. Flavored vapes might have even been giving people the previously rare disease popcorn lung because they contained diacetyl.

Overall yeah it's safer than smoking, you'd be hard pressed to make it worse. But don't mistake "we don't know" for actually safe.