Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Suicide Watch posted:

Trump literally is provoking a war to get re-elected 🤮
Bernie would have won and we’d have peace there
I guess the economy will finally start to take a hit?

A Hit? The military industrial complex has bombs to sell! The economy will soar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

A Hit? The military industrial complex has bombs to sell! The economy will soar.

Not if they retaliate with cyber attacks.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Taiwan's top military officer died in a helicopter crash today.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/01/02/helicopter-crash-kills-taiwans-top-military-officer-7-others.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My trouble is that I have a bit of a fascination with points of no return. I can't shake the feeling that it was the 2016 election, but it very much could've been 2003 (Iraq), or even 2000 (Bush v. Gore) and we're all just dealing with the side-effects.

What's starting to scare me more is that we might've just hit one leading to runaway nuclear proliferation, as this thing not only guarantees Iranian nukes, but North Korean nuclear advances too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NK was doing fine on their own, real issue is that now the Sauds are motivated

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Iran can't develop nukes if they're glowing

- trump, probably

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How hard is putin right now

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Loden Taylor posted:

Ari Fleischer: "Translated, these prayers are saying 'ding dong, the witch is dead.' I think we're going to see a situation where the Lollipop Guild is going to honor President Trump and formally welcome him to Munchkin Land."
If the Lollipop Guild said "thank you President Trump for saving us, please come to Munchkin Land so we can give you a great reward, the biggest reward, at a secret ceremony which you have to attend all by yourself", do you think it'd work?

Also :rip: a lot of deleted tweets from the last few pages :tinfoil::
I assume at least the last one was maybe the deleted tweet referred to by this one?
https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1212949051269931009

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's OK guys, he was literally the worst person in the world.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1212952194498093057?s=20

Thanks US media :thumbsup:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just to be clear here, was this Iranian general in Iraq officially on a state passport doing official state business in a country that diplomatically recognizes the government he worked for?

At least when we violated Pakistani territory to assassinate OBL he was generally recognized as an outlaw and Pakistan basically had to say “oh uh thanks for taking care of that!”

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

hobbesmaster posted:

Just to be clear here, was this Iranian general in Iraq officially on a state passport doing official state business in a country that diplomatically recognizes the government he worked for?

At least when we violated Pakistani territory to assassinate OBL he was generally recognized as an outlaw and Pakistan basically had to say “oh uh thanks for taking care of that!”

Don't you worry about that. We declared the IRGC a terrorist organization a few months ago so it's okay!

:grin:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Meshka posted:

Think of it as a parity of power. They have none. For every attack against American citizens the relatianion will be ten fold. Maybe attacking american personel was not the wise strategic choice on their part.

What are you, 15?

https://twitter.com/limitlessjest/status/1212965323248406528?s=20

:lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Meshka posted:

Think of it as a parity of power. They have none. For every attack against American citizens the relatianion will be ten fold. Maybe attacking american personel was not the wise strategic choice on their part.

You appear to have the geopolitical instincts of a watermelon, so I'll spell it out for you: Sometimes you have to let things go, because the cost of retaliation isn't worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HELL YEAH NO WAR unless it's profitable

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Meshka posted:

Yes, because that worked so well so far in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

We can kill them wholesale in new and horrifying ways- it won't change a drat thing. It just creates more fighters that will more Americans.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Not if you turn the entire subcontinent radioactive.

Think big.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

HELL YEAH NO WAR unless it's profitable

I'm gonna start donating a dollar to warren or volunteering every time you post if you're going to keep being this obnoxious about her.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not if you turn the entire subcontinent radioactive.

Think big.

The quote is “A nuclear bomb, does that bother you?… I just want you to think big, Henry, for Christ’s sake! “

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm gonna start donating a dollar to warren or volunteering every time you post if you're going to keep being this obnoxious about her.

:thumbsup:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RobertMLee/status/1212928896745775104?s=20

Outside of whatever is going to happen on the ground over there, I'd imagine that some cyber warfare stuff is going to be the biggest way they can hit back right?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

like seriously though A) Sanders' statement said basically the same thing and B) the fact that we may be at war with iran by the time we wake up in the morning is slightly more important than extremely petty sniping

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Meshka posted:

Why? Suleimani is responsible for a lot of American deaths. Good kill.

I mean if you want to go the eye for an eye route I’m pretty sure Iran could nuke a US city or two and still wouldn’t be caught up to the 75 years of deep dicking we’ve given them courtesy of the CIA.

We are very much the bad guys when it comes to Iran.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertMLee/status/1212928896745775104?s=20

Outside of whatever is going to happen on the ground over there, I'd imagine that some cyber warfare stuff is going to be the biggest way they can hit back right?

Closing the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran could pretty easily do, would have a major effect on global oil markets.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If I'm Iran I'd think I'd need to respond lethally in some way, but I wouldn't want to go far enough to justify a full on air campaign. But I'm also thinking that there are several militias in Iraq who will want revenge, and the Americans just killed the one guy I had there who could hold them back. If I'm Iran I'm very worried about a militia in Iraq going too far, while also needing to have my own response ready in case the militias don't go far enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

like seriously though A) Sanders' statement said basically the same thing and B) the fact that we may be at war with iran by the time we wake up in the morning is slightly more important than extremely petty sniping

We're on a dying comedy forum, literally nothing we post here is important.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

We're on a dying comedy forum, literally nothing we post here is important.

that i'll give you

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm just confused why you think I "keep" being obnoxious about her. When was the last time I even criticized her about anything?

I think in this case, it was a bit disingenuous to imply that she'd be okay with a profitable war based on her use of "costly", when the context of that word over America's foreverwars was that they've cost American lives AND a metric fuckton of money.

/edit: Not saying I agree with his bit on the "you being obnoxious" part

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's fair and I'll cop to the post being pretty snide. I'm just sick of the equivocation, you can say this was a stupid thing to do without covering your rear end with "well he was a bad guy and needed to be extrajudicially murdered BUT..."

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's fair and I'll cop to the post being pretty snide. I'm just sick of the equivocation, you can say this was a stupid thing to do without covering your rear end with "well he was a bad guy and needed to be extrajudicially murdered BUT..."

Yup, right there with you

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fister Roboto posted:

Considering the upcoming election, I think you kind of do have to say "he was a piece of poo poo, but". Otherwise the "*candidate* says terrorist more important than our troops" attack ads right themselves. It's campaign season.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Fair.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Considering the upcoming election, I think you kind of do have to say "he was a piece of poo poo, but". Otherwise the "*candidate* says terrorist more important than our troops" attack ads right themselves. It's campaign season.

99% of Americans had no idea who this guy was until today, and I doubt that a majority of them give a poo poo that he's dead now. I think it's safe to just say no more war.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
the 100% correct answer to all of this, that won't be done but absolutely should be, is Iran attacking and destroying every single Trump property worldwide. No country is going to gently caress with Iran just for going after that alone, they'd get away with it, they'd send their message loud and clear, and EVERYONE would be gloriously happy about it except the chuds. Just blow up every Trump property and stop there. Retaliation done.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress that's actually pretty good

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fister Roboto posted:

99% of Americans had no idea who this guy was until today, and I doubt that a majority of them give a poo poo that he's dead now. I think it's safe to just say no more war.

Except MSNBC's official twitter just called him the #1 bad guy. It's pretty easy to see how the big networks are going to spin this. In a couple days every water cooler clown in the country will have an opinion on this guy. So yeah, no one knew who he was this morning, but everyone will know by next week. Why make it even easier for the other side to spin up the outrage machine against you?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah, he owns a lot of hotels so a ton of innocent people would be killed.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

the 100% correct answer to all of this, that won't be done but absolutely should be, is Iran attacking and destroying every single Trump property worldwide. No country is going to gently caress with Iran just for going after that alone, they'd get away with it, they'd send their message loud and clear, and EVERYONE would be gloriously happy about it except the chuds. Just blow up every Trump property and stop there. Retaliation done.

Leveling apartment complexes is something Russians have a lot of expertise in, sadly it ends in war too

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah, he owns a lot of hotels so a ton of innocent people would be killed.

Broadcast a 12 hour notice to evacuate before sending the bombers?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Except MSNBC's official twitter just called him the #1 bad guy. It's pretty easy to see how the big networks are going to spin this. In a couple days every water cooler clown in the country will have an opinion on this guy. So yeah, no one knew who he was this morning, but everyone will know by next week. Why make it even easier for the other side to spin up the outrage machine against you?

lol msnbc

The media got rock loving hard over the Iraq invasion, even the """liberal""" networks, because it meant more money for them. They're already working themselves up to half mast over this, they don't give a poo poo as long as it gets clicks and views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There's undoubtedly a lot we don't have access to. A lot will get lost to time. If you did accidentally kill someone that important, there is every reason you should pretend you did it on purpose. The only way to gain from a targeting failure is to imply to everyone that it was on purpose and that they're not safe to start enacting warplan beige. You have to reach for the only benefit on the table which is to imply there's a greater than zero chance that even people with names get disappeared.

Don't know what happened. Whatever led to this situation, we wont know the how and the why for 30 years, but we're going to decide a lot based upon it over the next six.