Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-men #4

Just who was the one who had the swat teams on standby?
assume the US Ambassador. I liked it because governments and evil buisness cabals all seem to be reacting to mutants making a fuss in the same old way. Get a team of disposable mercenaries and gear them with some anti-mutant gear and let them go off. This isnt going to work this time and I think seeing that frustration build is going to be an important part of the series. Mutants are evolving will their enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t think Wakanda is worried about Krakoa.

Wakanda probably knows that mutants can't walk five feet without 10 different hit squads materializing in best of times. Getting caught in the crossfire is easily a possibility.
But this really is just me nitpicking the issue for having an excuse for some decent action in the background.

I loved that one diplomat taking -A-'s insult in stride.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Laughing Zealot posted:

Wakanda probably knows that mutants can't walk five feet without 10 different hit squads materializing in best of times. Getting caught in the crossfire is easily a possibility.
But this really is just me nitpicking the issue for having an excuse for some decent action in the background.

I loved that one diplomat taking -A-'s insult in stride.

Also storm is seeing the king

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In Yu’s cover where Apocalypse is dressed in a business suit, behind his head it looked like to me the shadow/shading was a pony tail of sorts. On a tiny phone screen. All of a sudden I imagined Paul Heyman as Apocalypse in a business suit negotiating deals.

Which, coincidently, if the MCU launches their XMen brand is who I would cast.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wakanda also has the Avengers under their flag.

I’d like to see an Avengers/X-Men crossover including the Squadron Supreme of America, and the Soviet Super Soldiers.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Yes to all of this. :hellyeah:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Them's a sexy outfits

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Who are the baldies? Darwin?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm assuming that's Laura in the middle, who are the other two? Is one of them Charles?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Synch and Darwin.

Have we seen Synch yet in Dawn of X? Curious if he's got the version of his powers where he gets to keep them now. Even if not, having him with Darwin and Laura at the same time makes him essentially invincible.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 3, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alright Hickman, treat Laura right or so help me God I'll complain without much enthusiasm about it on a comedy site's comic subforum. See if I won't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's cool to see Laura but where's Scout?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's Synch and Darwin.

Have we seen Synch yet in Dawn of X? Curious if he's got the version of his powers where he gets to keep them now. Even if not, having him with Darwin and Laura at the same time makes him essentially invincible.

Synch was mentioned as being a replacement for one of the Five should it be necessary, but not shown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Synch was mentioned as being a replacement for one of the Five should it be necessary, but not shown.

That's true. So he must have perma-powers.

Unless like... his powers worked off a corpse. But then he couldn't step in if someone was incinerated, and they'd probably note that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's cool to see Laura but where's Scout?

Hopefully on Karkoa enjoying not being part of a paramilitary strike force for a little while until Newer Mutants or Newest X-Men or Generation K launches or something

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Went to my not-quite-local shop yesterday to catch up on the last few weeks I missed. X-Men #4 was the best. It's everything I wanted out of Hickman X-Men: a bunch of folks making veiled threats and cryptic discussions of future entanglements. If only East Of West had a few less of these...

And Marauders is probably the 2nd best book Marvel is publishing right now (Runaways loving slays). "Which nose would I return with?"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's cool to see Laura but where's Honey Badger & Jonathon?

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hopefully on Karkoa enjoying not being part of a paramilitary strike force for a little while until Newer Mutants or Newest X-Men or Generation K launches or something
Yeah, this sounds right.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Awesome talking heads issue of X-Men. If you haven’t read Hickman’s X-Men yet, this is a good one to check out to see if you like the over all concept.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Open Marriage Night posted:

Awesome talking heads issue of X-Men. If you haven’t read Hickman’s X-Men yet, this is a good one to check out to see if you like the over all concept.

I think this was my favorite issue yet. Every character had at least one badass moment. While talking.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked it because it actually makes good on the promise of Xavier and Magneto attempting something new that's never been tried before, and how things are actually going to be different now. Up until now it's honestly just been the same-old-same-old. Resurrection machine? Tired. Capitalist takeover? Wired!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m a big fan of the representative who looked up Apocalypse’s names so he could greet him properly.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It also did a good job of selling why apocalypse of all people would get on board with the initiative: it’s a very civilized version of survival of the fittest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can't believe this movie is finally coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vJhUAOFpI

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Skwirl posted:

Please God be MCU.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Skwirl posted:

Well, the mutants themselves seem pretty decently designed. Magik seems badass, Roberto and Sam seem like they’re being given due diligence.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh my god Charles finally took off his helmet and... nothing. Amazing. I hope that made heads explode over at Reddit and wherever else people tend to leap to bizarre theories and immediately treat them as true until proven otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Beerdeer posted:

Please God be MCU.

of course it's not, and why would you want a film that was in the can before the Disney/Fox merger was even announced to be retroactively made part of the MCU?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty curious about what happened to fantomex. did xavier switch to a clone as soon as one was available, or is there another xavier running around?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Barry Convex posted:

of course it's not, and why would you want a film that was in the can before the Disney/Fox merger was even announced to be retroactively made part of the MCU?

Because the New Mutants are my favorite super team of all time and I want them to be relevant. I bought the first published issue off the drug store rack when I was 6 and I've stayed with them all along.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm pretty curious about what happened to fantomex. did xavier switch to a clone as soon as one was available, or is there another xavier running around?

What happened was LOOK OVER THERE!if we ignore it, it will go away on its own. Personally, I'm fine with ignoring it but that resolution didn't really work for me in the first place so :shrug:

Actually I can't remember, is Fantomex actually a mutant or wasn't he genetically engineered in the World, or is it both?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

What happened was LOOK OVER THERE!if we ignore it, it will go away on its own. Personally, I'm fine with ignoring it but that resolution didn't really work for me in the first place so :shrug:

Actually I can't remember, is Fantomex actually a mutant or wasn't he genetically engineered in the World, or is it both?

I think we won't know the current explanation until after he shows up again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even before Hickman came in Rosenberg decided not to address the X stuff at all.

Fantomex isn't a mutant. In fact, he's a sentinel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In any case, this is definitely a new cloned body after the shennanigans in XF1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, he's a super-evolved super-sentinel.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

It was already in the can, they were going to release it in some form. The production costs have already been paid, so even if it bombs terribly you're at least getting something back. :shrug:

I'm just surprised it's getting a theatrical release. I'd figured it to be Disney Plus for sure.

Interesting to see them touch upon background details that even the comics rarely mention anymore, like Sam's coal miner background, or Bobby's dead first girfriend.

Gotta say that I'm moderately more interested in the film now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers? Part of what makes horror works is how powerless the protags are against the threat. Like, the people in The Grudge can't do poo poo against ghosts, but Magik has a magic sword and spells and stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gologle posted:

It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers? Part of what makes horror works is how powerless the protags are against the threat. Like, the people in The Grudge can't do poo poo against ghosts, but Magik has a magic sword and spells and stuff.

Someone hasn't read the bear demon arc of New Mutants.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Just sticking to new mutants the demon bear is good fodder for a horror movie. If you expand that out to the X-men as a whole, you get a lot of body horror options, you get Shadow King, you get the various demons they fought over the years, the idea of being hunted even if you're super powered is rife for horror, there's tons of stuff.

I mean it helps that it's New Mutants all of whom aren't particular super powered. Bobby is arguably the hardest to kill and he's pretty easy if you time it right or are really dedicated.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Also for someone like Roberto or Sam, their powers are themselves a source of anxiety and fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dreqqus posted:

I mean it helps that it's New Mutants all of whom aren't particular super powered. Bobby is arguably the hardest to kill and he's pretty easy if you time it right or are really dedicated.

I believe that you will find that Sam is nigh invulnerable while he's blastin'.