Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Generation Why is an ok not-lurid true crime show although one of the guys said some dumbfuck both-sides poo poo about A Violent New Gang Called A.N.T.I.F.A. in an episode a while back that kinda makes me loathe him a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Just to check, since you didn't mention it, but have you checked out Casefile?

Is that the one where the host has a thick Australian accent? Hearing him try to pronounce non-English names is a wild ride. :allears:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pretty good posted:

Generation Why is an ok not-lurid true crime show although one of the guys said some dumbfuck both-sides poo poo about A Violent New Gang Called A.N.T.I.F.A. in an episode a while back that kinda makes me loathe him a bit.
I don't remember specifically what they were talking about because it's been years since I gave them a try but I remember tuning out when they got really dumb and both sidesy about some race stuff.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I have this problem with a lot of true crime podcasts - I just don't give a poo poo about the hosts or their POV, just gimme the unsettling deets, and get it right.

That's one of the things I really like about Futility Closet--they do the extremely well researched story (which is sometimes a true crime, sometimes something paranormal, always a wild story from history) FIRST and then do the chit chat in the second half.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When i just want the details, i read a book about it

The problem there is finding a decent book, sadly. The best book about the Dean Corll case came out a few years later, and just nothing for the next four decades or so. :bahgawd:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Small Town Murder is a non-chud podcast I like about crimes.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Invisible Choir is pretty good.

I wanna make a list of the ones I've stopped listening to because the hosts were creeps, assholes, plagiarists, or just making poo poo up, but that's... like 10, so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ravenkult posted:

Small Town Murder is a non-chud podcast I like about crimes.

Seconding this one. I've listened to about ten episodes so far and it's one dude telling the story behind a small town crime as his cohosts makes jokes and then gets increasingly horrified as the crimes get worse and worse. Kind of like the Dollop in format, but more focused on small towns. My favorite feature of the podcast is their spiel on "the crime takes place in Nowhere, USA. It has a population of x, the racial breakdown is like this, and the religious one, and the average wealth is like this, and if you want to buy a house here, we've got a ranch house that costs x and would be a pretty nice place blah blah blah" - surprisingly informative, it makes me want to think about moving to those places. I mean, assuming you could get me to move out of New York.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't remember specifically what they were talking about because it's been years since I gave them a try but I remember tuning out when they got really dumb and both sidesy about some race stuff.

Same thing here. I have the faintest memory that they were lovely centrists about Ferguson/Michael Brown, I think. A half-remembered complaint on Reddit probably isn't a great reason to write off a podcast, but there's so many that it's hard to come back and check. I think I wrote off True Crime Garage for doing ads for psychics, which probably isn't fair either.

And with really funny timing, RNG was In Sight one of the plagiarists on your list? I started to type out a thing about missing the show and wondering what happened to it. I saw the title shift but assumed it was something boring and fell off of it during a break, only to find a Reddit thread saying that one of the hosts was plagiarizing her scripts and that's what crashed the show. Which was a shame, it was pretty decent. The non-plagiarizing one restarted it as Crimelines.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Same thing here. I have the faintest memory that they were lovely centrists about Ferguson/Michael Brown, I think. A half-remembered complaint on Reddit probably isn't a great reason to write off a podcast, but there's so many that it's hard to come back and check. I think I wrote off True Crime Garage for doing ads for psychics, which probably isn't fair either.

And with really funny timing, RNG was In Sight one of the plagiarists on your list? I started to type out a thing about missing the show and wondering what happened to it. I saw the title shift but assumed it was something boring and fell off of it during a break, only to find a Reddit thread saying that one of the hosts was plagiarizing her scripts and that's what crashed the show. Which was a shame, it was pretty decent. The non-plagiarizing one restarted it as Crimelines.

I was thinking of Crime Junkie and Minds of Madness. I googled one MoM topic, once, and they'd read a hefty chunk of the first result word for word, so I'm assuming that's a trend.

e: Yeah, I haven't stopped listening to Generation Why altogether but I don't listen to every episode anymore since the Antifa thing/a few other comments. If you're going to be blandly listenable, be blandly listenable; a centrist hot take is still a hot take.

RNG has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jan 3, 2020

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

True Crime Historian is a fun change of pace and personal favorite of mine for bedtime listening. There is no banter or editorial from the host, although there is plenty of character in the contemporary sources. The crimes and criminals around the turn of the 20th century have this weird quality to them because people haven’t changed at all.

quote:

This show is not about the host, but purely about telling the story using as a source the newspaper and magazine accounts that reported the story as it was happening (or occasionally other source documents such as trial transcripts). I like to think that this is a history program about crime more than it is a “true crime podcast”.

Recommended.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RNG posted:

I was thinking of Crime Junkie and Minds of Madness. I googled one MoM topic, once, and they'd read a hefty chunk of the first result word for word, so I'm assuming that's a trend.
Aw man, didn't know Minds of Madness were plagiarists :(
And dang didn't know about the aussie from Insight either. I liked her voice a lot better than the other one so I just forgot to resubscribe to it when I got a new phone.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1212775711645323271

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
What... the gently caress

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sarcopenia posted:

What... the gently caress

Hey hey hey,

Say to death to America every day.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Probably cause it's paywalled I'd bet

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
This really is the year where all the conspiracy theories come true, isn't it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, Chase Bank worked with the capital "N" Nazis too. No one gave a poo poo about that either.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i think the reason nobody cares is because we don't need to scrutinize events from 40 years ago to determine that large financial corporations and republicans are evil fuckers

from a historical perspective it is very interesting, in terms of generating discussion around current events the seizure of the american embassy in tehran is not really a hot topic and yes i am aware of what is going on right now regarding american drone strikes

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also with the volume of stuff happening every day, a story about the election of 1980 is not really going to get much traction except with late 20th century political nerds

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luxury handset posted:

also with the volume of stuff happening every day, a story about the election of 1980 is not really going to get much traction except with late 20th century political nerds

those people are still active and malicious

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

those people are still active and malicious

yeah, and anyone who is aware already knew that and had ample evidence of it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all those people out there who were undecided on the legacy of the reagan presidency until they learned he conspired with foreign powers for various illegal acts

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Articles and studies researching "no poo poo sherlock" things are still useful.

because they can be shared and made a basis of further things. There are plenty of people who dont know history because it is literally kept from them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tashilicious posted:

because they can be shared and made a basis of further things. There are plenty of people who dont know history because it is literally kept from them.
Yeah it's why there's always scientific studies researching stuff like 'does a bear poo poo in the woods?' because once you've formally established that you can start moving on to stuff that builds off of that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tashilicious posted:

Especially when that history is largely dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

The whole "everyone already knows, so who cares" thing is incredibly disingenuous since it really only serves to bury the story and make people forget about it. Given that the article concerns the origins of a conflict that's about to become an open war, I find it suspect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

This really is the year where all the conspiracy theories come true, isn't it?

I still like how it turned out that there was almost certainly a legitimate conspiracy by the FBI and CIA to cover up the Kennedy Assassination, but in true American spycraft form it was because we were too incompetent to prevent and didn't want people to know that. After all, if the CIA had really been behind it, he'd still be alive.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

The whole "everyone already knows, so who cares" thing is incredibly disingenuous since it really only serves to bury the story and make people forget about it. Given that the article concerns the origins of a conflict that's about to become an open war, I find it suspect.

really it's more that you can't expect a revelation of this magnitude from many decades ago to capture the public interest compared to, well, all this *broadly gestures at the state of the world*

as i said a few posts ago, it is very interesting to historians and researchers, and it is going to change nobody's opinion about ronald reagan or the election of 1980. grumbling about how nobody is as interested in US-Iranian relations in the late 70s as they should be is a bit misguided on the part of that tweet's author

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Especially when that history is largely dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

It won't become an open war. I doubt it will be more than a talking point a few months from now when Trump once again gets sworn in.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
folks who get real into geopolitics and recent history tend to overinflate the importance of the factual knowledge that takes so much time and effort to obtain. given the volume of sheer things happening we don't need to assume malfeasance when that knowledge fails to gain traction among a broader public imo

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
People suspected it at the time, and it didn’t make it easier to change Reagan policies.

People at that time knew the details of how the CIA and MI6 had overthrown Mossadegh in 1953, and that didn’t change Reagan policies or even Carter policies.

The specific details of 1980 skulduggery being documented will not change Trump policies.

In general, war machines are not susceptible to reasoned arguments from history.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

luxury handset posted:

folks who get real into geopolitics and recent history tend to overinflate the importance of the factual knowledge that takes so much time and effort to obtain. given the volume of sheer things happening we don't need to assume malfeasance when that knowledge fails to gain traction among a broader public imo

I think I'll fall back on an old line: "I wish I had the time and energy to care about that"

And I really do. I wish that, with everything going on in the world, that I could carve out the time and energy to care about something that happened 40 years ago. In a detached way, I'm glad that someone went to that kind of effort to prove exactly what went down. However, and this does genuinely sadden me, it will change the minds of exactly zero people about what really occurred. Anyone on the right who was previously denying this will still continue to deny it, and that it occurred has already been baked into left of center thinking for decades.

From now on, it's a historical fact that it happened, but not only does it not change anything now, it is sufficiently detached in time that it doesn't provide anything meaningful about how to act for the future.

Yet another way that the world is total bullshit right now.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I would love any recs for podcasts of this vein/quality - I am finding I've run through all the 'good' stuff I am aware of, and now it's just MFM/LPOTL-type stuff which isn't satisfying in the least

Have you checked out Jenson and Holes: The Murder Squad? While it comes from the MFM podcast network the two hosts are a former cold-case detective who worked on the Golden State Killer case and a journalist. While a lot of what they cover is unsolved, looking for further victims, or trying to identify John and Jane Does they provide quite a few details.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Children in any sort of long term entertainment position are generally being abused, be it tv or YouTube or movies or child pageants
Back when Cracked was halfway decent, Mara Wilson wrote this and it really shines a light on how abusive the entertainment industry is to kids, intentional or not. I'm a big fan of hers after being re-introduced to her on Welcome to Night Vale, and if you do Twitter, follow her.
https://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-child-stars-go-crazy-an-insiders-perspective/

It's more funny than unnerving (well, it's existentially unnerving), but it's like what happened when one researcher finally wondered "hey what if a bunch of kids lied on these surveys and said that they're LGBT because they think it's funny or just want to be assholes because we made them fill out this boring survey" and suddenly realized how many teens gave bullshit answers on surveys when almost half of the students claiming to be transgender also claimed to be either 7 feet tall, a little person or gang-affliated. https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/05/22/313166161/mischievous-responders-confound-research-on-teens
You would be stunned by the amount of psych studies where the evidence is entire surveys filled out as mandatory part of the class or as extra credit.

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but those internet weirdos are seriously loving creepy. And throwing shade at the viewer for watching their documentary at the end was stupid as well.

edit:
Like, I think it could have been a much more interesting documentary if they had cut all the doxxing people out and just focused on the investigations and his background.
doxxing makes for bad viewing. You're hunched over a computer, running searches, and cross referencing results (you can make it look cooler but why waste CPU/GPU time on that; the cliche crime drama scene of flagging down an agent and and handing them a printout is pretty much what happens (except there are no agents, you hand it off to your anti-nazi friends, email it to the nazi's boss and family, and watch the fallout and impotent range.

Guess I'll have to watch it to see how it is.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Wanted to say thanks to the poster(s) who mentioned True Crime Historian. Based on the title and description, I surmised it was extremely My poo poo and was not let down.

E: the host's voice is... something.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Jan 4, 2020

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

As far as true crime podcasts go, there is a very annoying/badly made one about a genuinely interesting missing person case https://upandvanished.com/

I'd just say listen to 10-15 mins if you can stand it and then listen to the very funny parody podcast https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/john-david-booter/done-disappeared that does an amazing job satirizing it and other poorly made true crime podcasts.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

You would be stunned by the amount of psych studies where the evidence is entire surveys filled out as mandatory part of the class or as extra credit.

My high school class was made to do a survey thing on testicular cancer awareness and self-testing for a hospital in the region. It was dumb, because it was supposed to be about the value of general awareness, but they were too conservative to just let the doctor explain that the girls had to be there because a lot of cases were noticed during sexy times. After people kept laughing and making jokes while they were handing them out, they made us all write our initials on what was supposed to be a confidential survey and they refused to let anyone opt-out. Even as teens we knew it was hosed, and you could see the doctor trying to hide how much he was freaking out about the principal ruining his results.

The only redeeming moment was the doctor getting nervous loving up his speech by saying that your girlfriend or mother may notice a lump. It took a long time to get the room back after that.

Parakeet vs. Phone has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jan 4, 2020

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So here's another one for you guys. One time, Kim Jong-il used his dad's resources to kidnap a dude and make him make a Return of Godzilla-style kaiju film.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

The Golden Gael posted:

So here's another one for you guys. One time, Kim Jong-il used his dad's resources to kidnap a dude and make him make a Return of Godzilla-style kaiju film.

Pulgusari is a hell of a story. Good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

Seconding Casefile for no nonsense crime podcasting, please do not feel bad for not being able to like My Fave Murder, I cannot stand it.
Just started listening and it's exactly as advertised, although I have trouble understanding his accent sometimes. But I agree it's really good.

Something unnerving just occurred to me as I was listening, though. I'd never heard of this awful child murder case, and I found that surprising. I've been fascinated by true crime all my life (dunno why, maybe it's the autism) and I have the details of many of the worst serial killers of children memorized. Then the podcast mentioned that people thought the first body might be Madeleine McCann, and I realized that the reason I hadn't heard of it was that it just happened a few years ago. And that in fact I'll never run out of new, horrifying true crime stories to read, because people keep committing more horrifying crimes and there will always be new material.

Of course this isn't a surprising fact, but I think subconsciously I felt like these stories were a phenomenon of the past, not something that is still happening now. Being reminded of the continual supply of fresh horror that the world generates is .... unsettling.