Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Decided to replay 1/2/3 back to back to back over the last couple weeks between work and stuff

extremely fun trip, i actually think all three games are extremely good in their own ways, peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Barons, tell us about your DS3 build and which bosses still are a challenge.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I used a big sword and that's it

the hardest boss was second gundyr because i'm loving stupid

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Can anyone explain why I loved sekiro, thoroughly enjoyed bloodborne but can't get into dark souls 3 ?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Qmass posted:

Can anyone explain why I loved sekiro, thoroughly enjoyed bloodborne but can't get into dark souls 3 ?

Same.

The only thing I came up with is Bloodborne and Sekiro don't have the same kind of baggage as 3.

Also going from BB combat back to DS1 style 1-2-1-2 combos without transform attacks and quickstep felt bad.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I hated sekiro because I hate parrying in games and that’s what that game is and nothing else

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I hated myself because I hate and am bad at parrying in games and could never get very far in Sekiro even though Souls is very lovely

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i beat lady butterfly as soon as i could fight her without a single parry

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I just killed high lord wolnir with lothric sword and crest shield - are there any suitable shield upgrades around this point ? (or on the horizon)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It doesn't really work like that. You won't find a shield that's just "better" than the crest shield. You can find several ones with different strengths though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I hated sekiro because I hate parrying in games and that’s what that game is and nothing else
It's not really parrying through. Parrying in souls games has a tight window and leaves you vulnerable for a long time if you whiff it, but has a huge reward.
Deflecting in Sekiro has a much more lenient timing, but also each individual deflect has pretty small reward. It's that games equivalent of dodging, not parrying.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

IronicDongz posted:

It's not really parrying through. Parrying in souls games has a tight window and leaves you vulnerable for a long time if you whiff it, but has a huge reward.
Deflecting in Sekiro has a much more lenient timing, but also each individual deflect has pretty small reward. It's that games equivalent of dodging, not parrying.

It's not really. Dodging is an active, at will thing, parrying is a passive, waiting for an enemy to attack you thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's the difference? Both are buttons you press in response to an enemy's incoming attack in order to gain advantage, and your timing needs to be good but not that good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Standing completely still, waiting for the enemy to attack so I can perfectly reference 'parryframes.mov' on youtube that I looked up before the game came out: Seems kind of static, a bit boring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, i also did that before playing sekiro????

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's not really. Dodging is an active, at will thing, parrying is a passive, waiting for an enemy to attack you thing.
What are you talking about? They're both defensive actions. They both require the enemy to attack you to be useful.

If anything, Sekiro's got the more active system, because if you start an attack it lets you cancel it into deflect. And there's no stamina. You can keep the pressure on constantly, and that's what works the best. Defense and offense move move fluidly into each other. It's a really aggressive game.
And both attacking and deflecting lets you drain your enemy's posture, and once it's full you can kill them. So essentially deflecting is also doing damage, in a sense. It's far further from passive than ds3's typical "wait until an attack, roll, punish" situation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Dan Didio posted:

Standing completely still, waiting for the enemy to attack so I can perfectly reference 'parryframes.mov' on youtube that I looked up before the game came out: Seems kind of static, a bit boring.

You are never waiting in Sekiro for an enemy to attack you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya in sekiro u can mash r1 and the enemy will deflect u after a lil bit, which is ur cue to deflect their next attack

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

onion knight nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! oh well, he made yhorm the giant super easy and now I can be the onion bro. So when he rests after the yhorm fight he is meant to push off and leave behind his gear, ending his quest line?

edit: so did I get super lucky on yhorm when I happened to be using profane greatsword and just always attacked when he was brought down? It sounds like I fluked a way to kill him ? I was looking up storm ruler and a lot of talk about it being almost a necessity on the fight?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 31, 2019

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Profane Greatsword isn't any better than most weapons for that fight. I think onion knight must have carried your sorry rear end, because without someone (you or Onion boi) wielding that special sword, you're in for a 10+ minute slog against a slow giant. Yes it's beatable and it's come up on certain challenge runs, but you're 100% supposed to use the storm ruler, or just let siegward contend with his friend while you kind of roll around and watch it happen.

Good fight though, pretty weird and and strange end to a quest line

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Qmass posted:

I just killed high lord wolnir with lothric sword and crest shield - are there any suitable shield upgrades around this point ? (or on the horizon)

You really don't need to worry about upgrading your shield the way you would a weapon. Anything with "Crest" is good to carry around, Grass Crest for extra stamina regeneration, Magic Crest for magic absorption, etc.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

any thoughts on when a first play-through should do archdragon peak and the DLCs ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 1, 2020

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Qmass posted:

any thoughts on when a first play-through should do archdragon peak and the DLCs ?

If you can access peak you're good to go, you can go into the snow dlc whenever as it's a relatively easy source of large titanite shards but you're not likely to do poo poo to the main boss of it until you're at endgame level

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

Save the DLCs until you've gathered all the lords cinders imo. Though running around in the first one for items is totally worth doing ASAP. Archdragon you can do as soon as you unlock it though its end boss is one of the hardest in the game so you can always come back to it later if you get frustrated.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Qmass posted:

Go to archdragon for the ash that lets you buy chunks and also steal the slab off havel, come back with +10 weapon, then go dlc 1. Also run the final archdragon gauntlet for souls, once the gauntlet stops giving you a decent amount of souls vs number of souls required to level up, fight the boss/ start dlc 2.

Use lightning for the dragon phase one and poison + bleed for phase 2. You can use the same set up for nameless king as you can for dlc 2 bosses

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's some very specific advice that'll be useless for most builds, but sure.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The hardest part of the King of the Storm battle is fighting the goddamn spinning camera. :barf:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the camera in king of the storm is fine so long as you don't move forward past the head, which you don't want to do anyways

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Amppelix posted:

Pine resin

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Amppelix posted:

I don't think it is really? I beat him with a Lothric Knight GS, and another time the Dragonslayer Greataxe, a weapon I never ever use, but he's weak to lightning I think, or idk why I would've used it. Also, he's actually one of the bosses that's weak to poison, afaik, check out this let's play from former IGN dudes 'Prepare to Try': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9YXNysvxlw

also WTF the judicator has balls?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9YXNysvxlw&t=559s

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I don't think it is really? I beat him with a Lothric Knight GS, and another time the Dragonslayer Greataxe, a weapon I never ever use, but he's weak to lightning I think, or idk why I would've used it.

The king of the storm is (as he's a dragon) but the nameless king is resistant to lightning. Which should be obvious as he's Gwyn's son and is constantly blasting lightning everywhere.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

The king of the storm is (as he's a dragon) but the nameless king is resistant to lightning. Which should be obvious as he's Gwyn's son and is constantly blasting lightning everywhere.

Right, I thought they were talking about Gael, or rather, the poster mentioned the DLCs plus the Nameless King, and I thought the reply was referring to poisoning Gael, cause he is actually weak to poison. edit: Oh, they did say you can use the same set up for the DLC bosses, which I should've clarified, that in the aforementioned spoiler, I used those lightning imbued weapons, and especially wrecked him with my miracle build, Lothric Knight GS, with like a lightning or blessed infusion, and same with King of the Storm, then I'd switch to I think the Profaned GS, because the King is resistant to lightning, but weak to fire, and vice versa.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 3, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The nether parts are the source of true power of Dark Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The nether parts are the source of true power of Dark Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

Wow. I never thought the OG Manly DS Miners vid would get out done. I was wrong.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HaB posted:

Wow. I never thought the OG Manly DS Miners vid would get out done. I was wrong.

It's not quite the manly miners, but he's also got this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Z2t7nq_sU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

does painted world have an "end" ? I killed friede and the wolf man down in the ice and now I dunno where else I could go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

does painted world have an "end" ? I killed friede and the wolf man down in the ice and now I dunno where else I could go.

The path to the next area is in Friede's room

Assuming you own ringed city?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Qmass posted:

Yes that is the end. Friede is the end. It's pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Qmass posted:

There are no end cinematics for either DLC. Kill the boss, get the souls, that's it.