Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Got an un-paywalled version of that?

I didn't have to pay, I just logged in with gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I didn't have to pay, I just logged in with gmail.

The loving irony

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Shooting in VR is easy, it's reloading that's the real skill and the most rewarding part

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

Shooting in VR is easy, it's reloading that's the real skill and the most rewarding part

Nothing says H3VR quite like "where's my magazine? Whoops I ejected it :cripes:".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Yeah, but it's somewhat artificial: it's because our phsyical hand devices don't correspond with your virtual hands/weapons, and because putting the two hands together is somewhat clunky, with the two controllers hitting each other.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

You use google?

no, but i don't see anyone defending google in here right now, nor am i doing it so what's your loving point with this?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The loving irony

that's the joke, yes

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 3, 2020

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Interrupting Facebook evils chat:

Got a Rift S, having a lot of fun apart from with the Oculus software - I had to manually (via command prompt) install to D:\ as I couldn't get enough space on my windows C:\ drive and then when I go to install games to D:\Oculus I'm told that location path isn't available. Any one else had something similar happen to them?

Looking forward to burning some calories to Thrill of the Fight that in retrospect I should have bought on Steam.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Desdinova posted:

Looking forward to burning some calories to Thrill of the Fight that in retrospect I should have bought on Steam.

Ah, but it is crossbuy, so if you get a Quest you'll get to have fun tiring yourself out on Thrill of the Fight without dealing with a cable.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
The cable may improve my dancing/skipping skills.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Desdinova posted:

Got a Rift S, having a lot of fun apart from with the Oculus software - I had to manually (via command prompt) install to D:\ as I couldn't get enough space on my windows C:\ drive and then when I go to install games to D:\Oculus I'm told that location path isn't available. Any one else had something similar happen to them?

I did my first fight yesterday and am still sore...

I had some issues with a larger game not wanting to install and I switched the default library in the settings to a different drive. Then it worked. Not sure if you have to reset that setting after switching drives, too. I'm at work so I can't check exactly where it is in the app if you hadn't already checked.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Desdinova posted:

The cable may improve my dancing/skipping skills.

I found the cable mainly just improved my cable sidestepping skills to the point of me not even noticing it after a couple weeks.

Eventually I still opted for wireless, however, because not having to switch directions while circlestrafing in serious sam is just that drat good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Desdinova posted:

It hard defaults to the OS Partition because :shrug:.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, assuming you're using NTFS (doh), you can actually mount a drive to a c:\something location like so:

This *should* help with your dumb oculus software problem in theory.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to doing some more VR, and finally finished Wilson's Heart.

The aesthetic and production values were great, and it was probably worth a playthrough just for those; and I have no problem doing point-and-click style wandering around an environment and picking up objects to unlock whatever the next puzzle is. But drat if some of the 'combat' mechanics weren't awful; specifically, throwing the heart around to try and electrocute stuff, and the final boss fight which was basically the most unintuitive time-limited puzzle ever. Very frustrating. They should have just stuck with the more traditional combat-style mechanics, like the punching and close combat weapons handling, or alternatively go full Bioshock with the heart mechanics.

In any case, it was pretty cool. I've now started Arktika.1. Production values are pretty drat good, as you'd expect. Gameplay is pretty basic so far, but I'm only on the training missions. Guns feel great except for the stocks being slightly too angled, which takes a little bit of adjusting to. Also, holy gently caress I am not cut out for fighting horrible mutant monster things in enclosed spaces in the dark in VR. This is going to be traumatic :stonk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boneworks is the first game that is making me wish I had a 3 camera rift setup.

It’s immersive enough and I spend enough time twisting my torso around while aiming that I often end up with my back to the cameras. Of course the symptom of this is my hands quit responding accurately.

My play space isn’t super accommodating of a 3rd camera without some serious usb extensions (like 30 feet or more) to go around my finished space.

One of my favorite little details of Rec Room is if you look down, there is an arrow always pointing to your cameras, so you can always face them without taking the HMD off to see where you are.

Is there some software that does something similar but for any game? I just need to see where the “front” of my play space is in-game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Boneworks has so many good ideas that all stem from not giving a gently caress about how comfortable or easy you find usual VR interactions. The vaulting system is at once the most baffling but incredibly satisfying things I've hosed with in regards to VR movement. Wish the melee combat was on par with B&S though, even keeping my character movements to respectable speeds feels like dream punching most of the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m, I’d guess more than half way through the game and I still don’t know how to pull myself up on to a ledge. I have no idea how to get my legs up.

Thankfully most things have pipes or whatever you can climb to get your feet above the surface you’re trying to get to

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
arctica has like eleven Spooky Elevator Rides and they are all terrifying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

Wish the melee combat was on par with B&S though, even keeping my character movements to respectable speeds feels like dream punching most of the time.

I dunno, I got into a fight with like eight of those little headcrab headset bastards in the warehouse level, and all I had was a bigass axe to defend myself with. I went ham on those things, and it was satisfying as hell sinking the blade into one and watching the light go out. Even if half the fight was a lot of "GET AWAY FROM ME!!" flailing like an idiot.

I also haven't worked out how to climb up ledges yet, and I think I'm near the end of the game :sigh:. I'm up to The Tower.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don't try to mantle with your hands grabbing on the edge of the thing you're climbing. Your hands have friction, carefully reach your hands out and place them on top of the platform, tuck your legs in (i think on sticks it's push up and then down? On my vive touchpad i just swipe down it's the whole length to get in a crouching state) reach down to pull yourself up and over then move the stick back to center.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, you grab your own legs?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
FWIW I appreciate having Doctor here for an informed perspective that we don't hear a lot. I think Facebook is a piece of poo poo and disabled my account long ago, but I still think it's worthwhile to educate myself and I understand not everyone may see it the same way.

I think this site in general has a tendency to meet unpopular opinions with :getout: or just straight up knee-jerk anger and it's unfortunate.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't normally have a problem but almost every post he makes in here is some kind of excuse for why facebook's gross negligence with and misuse of their customer data is actually OK and furthermore

It's just getting incredibly tiring opening this thread and seeing that pile of bullshit every time when people mention facebook bad

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

no, but i don't see anyone defending google in here right now, nor am i doing it so what's your loving point with this?

that's the joke, yes

Wow defensive much?

My point was already made and you missed it clearly. Take a chill pill. Lol

You don’t use google huh? Sure. Thing. 👍🏻

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 3, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there a way to rebind single buttons in Steam VR? I need to grab some screenshots of Pistol Whip for a review, and the default method of "press down menu button and trigger for three seconds" is kind of not working in a fast paced action game.

I was hoping I could either use the second Oculus controller (since Pistol Whip only uses one) as a dedicated screenshot button, or rebind one of the thumb buttons on the one controller I use to take screenshots.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Der Shovel posted:

Is there a way to rebind single buttons in Steam VR? I need to grab some screenshots of Pistol Whip for a review, and the default method of "press down menu button and trigger for three seconds" is kind of not working in a fast paced action game.

I was hoping I could either use the second Oculus controller (since Pistol Whip only uses one) as a dedicated screenshot button, or rebind one of the thumb buttons on the one controller I use to take screenshots.

Yes. It’s under the compositor for system level bindings

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Truga posted:

Oh yeah, assuming you're using NTFS (doh), you can actually mount a drive to a c:\something location like so:

This *should* help with your dumb oculus software problem in theory.

Thanks for this, though if I'm remembering correctly it doesn't allow you to change from C:\Oculus on the installer, so if I create a C:\Partition\ on my D: drive it would still see the same path, no?

Not that I've much xp with partitioning recently.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What you can do here is "mount" your D:\ disk onto C:\BigDisk\, by following the screenshots. Your D: disk stays, but it's also accessible through C:\BigDisk.

Then install oculus software into C:\BigDisk\Oculus, and it should, in theory, work. I don't have an oculus so I haven't tested this though. Or, if you can't change the install path at all, mount it into C:\Oculus, but that'll install it directly onto the second disk (as in, not into a subdirectory), which might not be desirable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guys, shut the gently caress up, or you'll hurt Doctor w-rw-rw-'s friend's feelings.

The fact that their friend works at Facebook definitely has no connection with the fact that he's defending Facebook with every post in the thread, pay that no attention.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Dunno about Oculus but the Vive wands let you take screenshots just by pressing menu+trigger, are you sure that isnt whats happening?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nothing says H3VR quite like "where's my magazine? Whoops I ejected it :cripes:".

"Is the safety on? Lemme toggle it. Or... did I just toggle the toggle...."

*click*

"...gently caress"

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, you grab your own legs?

No, they mean use the crouch (down on right stick) which effectively raises your legs when you are supporting your body with your arms on a ledge. So reach out an make sure both arms are as far in on the ledge as possible then "crouch" and move your head as far forward as it will let you so that it gets close to being over your hands. If you look at your feet you can tell when your legs (which are still tucked in from "crouching") have made it onto the ledge. Then you just "uncrouch" and you are standing on the higher surface.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So I ordered a Oculus Link cable on the day of release. It was supposedly dropped off on my porch on the 27th but it never actually arrived. I filed a report with UPS and contacted Oculus too. UPS hasn't gotten back to me but Oculus is going to refund my order since there are no more in stock. Sucks that I won't get a link cable anytime soon but its cool of Oculus to go that extra mile - even though Facebook is evil I mean.

Edit: Am joking, please don't continue the evil Facebook conversation.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 3, 2020

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

It's just getting incredibly tiring opening this thread and seeing that pile of bullshit every time when people mention facebook bad

By the time I wake up most everyone else has given the answers (I.e. mount point for drives) for configuration stuff, and people here really aren’t that interested in VR dev talk, just VR and VR company baseball. So I talk about this stuff because it’s the only real unique thing to add to the conversation. And I’ve repeatedly been clear that my perspective is “less unjustified” rather than “justified”.

Being wary isn’t going to change (nor should it) but I’d rather see the pile of poo poo I’m stepping into than complain about the smell, blindfold myself, and wait to hear the splash.

I’ve been right in my predictions a couple of times in the thread on VR functionality as well as the non tech side so I dunno. If everyone really would prefer a clueless VR circlejerk maybe they should close the forums and open up VRChat, and never leave

Jack Trades posted:

Guys, shut the gently caress up, or you'll hurt Doctor w-rw-rw-'s friend's feelings.

The fact that their friend works at Facebook definitely has no connection with the fact that he's defending Facebook with every post in the thread, pay that no attention.

Worked, though you’ve brought it up so so much more than I have at this point that I realized I get the benefit of your reminders that real people work on this without paying the social cost of mentioning it. Thanks, I guess? :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Desdinova posted:

Thanks for this, though if I'm remembering correctly it doesn't allow you to change from C:\Oculus on the installer, so if I create a C:\Partition\ on my D: drive it would still see the same path, no?

Not that I've much xp with partitioning recently.

Hey, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, I'm back home now and I remembered a much easier way of doing this. I just don't use windows a lot myself since the win2000 days I guess that's why I keep forgetting but you can use links to achieve the same thing. Links are basically same as shortcuts, but at the filesystem level, rather than application level.

You can type "mklink /d c:\oculus d:\oculus" into command line and it's going to make a symbolic link from c:\oculus to d:\oculus. You might need to start cmd as admin.

Unless oculus software is doing something incredibly dumb (very unlikely) this will work just as well as mounting the drive there, but with less hassle as it's just copy-pasting a single line. Also, you won't accidentally delete the entire D drive when hitting delete on the c:\oculus folder, so you should definitely choose this option :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This whataboutism referring to Google. They haven't done remotely the egregious poo poo that Facebook did with your data and beyond. Well, yet and/or what's currently known, anyway.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

Hey, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, I'm back home now and I remembered a much easier way of doing this. I just don't use windows a lot myself since the win2000 days I guess that's why I keep forgetting but you can use links to achieve the same thing. Links are basically same as shortcuts, but at the filesystem level, rather than application level.

You can type "mklink /d c:\oculus d:\oculus" into command line and it's going to make a symbolic link from c:\oculus to d:\oculus. You might need to start cmd as admin.

Unless oculus software is doing something incredibly dumb (very unlikely) this will work just as well as mounting the drive there, but with less hassle as it's just copy-pasting a single line. Also, you won't accidentally delete the entire D drive when hitting delete on the c:\oculus folder, so you should definitely choose this option :v:

I think you’re talking about junction points, which are an NTFS feature. Windows file system drivers are a little bit nasty in that technically there is no system wide file tree; the path after the drive letter is generally forwarded to the filesystem and as such a cross-drive hard link is somewhat finicky in general, especially where permissions are concerned. Most games probably won’t have an issue with this but You never know.

tl;dr I think both drives should be NTFS, and if it doesn’t work the first thing I’d check is filesystem permissions. Second place is auditing Windows’ ransomware protection logs.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This whataboutism referring to Google. They haven't done remotely the egregious poo poo that Facebook did with your data and beyond. Well, yet and/or what's currently known, anyway.
Apple shutdown a Hong Kong protest organizing app, and long before that gave China the encryption keys to iMessage.

Google Buzz made address books into friends lists, and public by default. Their unique id cookies were set for a 32 year expiration date. Recaptcha *actually* profiles your browser and your mouse movements to determine your humanity, and is hosted on Google domains so it doubles as a tracking pixel. They didn’t bother to blue people in street view for a long time and faced many lawsuits worldwide about this. Both they and Apple collected your SSIDs and GPS to index it by location. Google did it with no privacy policy or disclosures whatsoever. They also opt your phone into providing information for traffic analysis unless you opt out. They can and have shut down entire lives built on their services with no real appeal process in place. They didn’t adopt do not track until eventually forced to by overwhelming pressure. They circumvented safari privacy settings to identify users even when the protection was enabled. YouTube has its own set of controversies of varying types.

The principles you see in Facebook are largely the same principles guiding their competitors.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think you’re talking about junction points, which are an NTFS feature. Windows file system drivers are a little bit nasty in that technically there is no system wide file tree; the path after the drive letter is generally forwarded to the filesystem and as such a cross-drive hard link is somewhat finicky in general, especially where permissions are concerned. Most games probably won’t have an issue with this but You never know.

Junctions are hard links. Windows has had the ability to create soft, symbolic links for a while now. Hard links need to be within the same volume, but symbolic links can point anywhere, just like in Linux. Before Oculus supported multiple game directories, I used a symbolic link to move my games to my D drive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don't forget Google also fought against the "right to be forgotten" laws in France (and won), and they recently had a whistleblower show they have a secret project with access to millions of Americans' medical records, surely nothing bad can come of that.

Google not remotely as egregious, loving lol, they are the two largest advertising companies in the world with the same lovely techbros working at both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264273847010

Quest would poo poo itself with my mesh router so I got this as a standalone just for the 5ghz band. Works great for that price.

But I personally prefer the link to ALVR/Virtual Desktop. Cable sucks but performance is noticeably better.

How do you setup the cable with Virtual Desktop