Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Genuine thanks to everyone who's offered advice/support at this difficult time of post-dinner party rudeness, and I really do mean that - it's very helpful to get a variety of different perspectives on this sort of thing, since it's not something I'm really used to dealing with. Much support too, to those who have to deal with much worse on a regular basis - this was very unusual for us; I know there are people posting here who have to deal with this crap, (and much much worse) absolutely constantly.

I'm not planning to totally sever from them, nor am I going to stage an open and honest discussion of our feelings-type thing either. The first would be unnecessarily destructive in a wider sense and the second would just be extremely weird for us. For the minute I'm just going to sit tight and leave the ball in their court. It's not like these are people I see every day or even every week. There's a decent chance I won't see either of them for at least a month. I'm not sitting here stewing on a grievance, it's more like I was trying to work out what the heck the thought-process behind the whole thing was because it was just so alien to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"maybe just let it lie and plan to visit with these folks around things other than dinner in the future" is a perfectly reasonable path, and probably the least likely to get awkward or hostile

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Agreed. They sounded liked they were way out of line though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've been using Evernote for years and in 2018 I consolidated all of my recipes there, spending 2019 adding to it and refining the formatting/etc. I just looked at how far Notion has come and it seems like it has surpassed Evernote at some point over the years but I'm daunted by the idea of redoing so much work porting things over (import broke everything horribly). Anyone use Notion for their recipes and have a template/finished product to show off to encourage?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I get purged for telling Lowtax to stop catering to the fash adjacent, I love and appreciate you all. And I'll remain queer as heck to spite him. Thank you all for your kind words, support, and gentle ribbing at times.

Except pr0k's mom, stealing all the good lines smdh.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

low tax done hosed up

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh? What's the lowdown? I don't pay attention to the main forums.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There was a live stream of him being out of line in regards to LGBTQ people some deemed to call him out on it and he banned them for speaking up.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Thumposaurus posted:

There was a live stream of him being out of line in regards to LGBTQ people some deemed to call him out on it and he banned them for speaking up.

this is quite a mischarictarization, IMO.

e: mischaracterization
word is harder to spell than say

fart store fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 2, 2020

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Thumposaurus posted:

That's absolutely not what happened, drama has no place here.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Manuel Calavera posted:

If I get purged for telling Lowtax to stop catering to the fash adjacent, I love and appreciate you all. And I'll remain queer as heck to spite him. Thank you all for your kind words, support, and gentle ribbing at times.

Except pr0k's mom, stealing all the good lines smdh.
I think you'll probably be relatively safe, and you can go to whatever level of queerness that you please.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

wow hello lowtax welcome to GWS I hope you enjoy your stay and squash any dumb drama

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

I think you'll probably be relatively safe, and you can go to whatever level of queerness that you please.

Well I can't help but be a little concerned after some people got banned, even temporarily. Yknow? GWS is what I consider home for the forums, because cooking solidarity and all. I haven't kept a close eye on the goings on, but I've followed it enough that I second the concerns shared in TGRS.

Also delete FYAD please thank you.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well I can't help but be a little concerned after some people got banned, even temporarily. Yknow? GWS is what I consider home for the forums, because cooking solidarity and all. I haven't kept a close eye on the goings on, but I've followed it enough that I second the concerns shared in TGRS.

You're gonna pick up a lot of loaded misinformation, and I honestly don't have the energy right now to cover it all, but suffice to say, I'm not banning homosexuals in the cooking forum.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I, just. Lowtax no that's not what it's about. I'm sure you're trying to sound flippant there, but it's not about being gay. It's a systemic problem that's been identified.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm glad you feel like this is home, and I want to keep it that way.

As far as the rest, the mods and admins are in communication with Lowtax and have plans in motion. They've been a lot slower to impact than we want because our all-volunteer unpaid team has lives and families and commitments outside the forum that just all happened to coincide to keep key people offline over the holidays.

Expect to see a lot more action over the next week or so as we're augmenting the admin team to get more available hands and putting plans into motion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But where does Lowtax stand on beans in chilli?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Manuel Calavera posted:

I, just. Lowtax no that's not what it's about. I'm sure you're trying to sound flippant there, but it's not about being gay. It's a systemic problem that's been identified.
It literally is not about people being homosexual, in any way. I have never said anything or even vaguely mentioned gay people.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Scientastic posted:

But where does Lowtax stand on beans in chilli?
Beans belong in one of two places, the can they came in, or the trash

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Beans belong in one of two places, the can they came in, or the trash

Holy poo poo dude... At first I was excited to see you posting in here.

But beans are sacred.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

It literally is not about people being homosexual, in any way. I have never said anything or even vaguely mentioned gay people.

Lowtax posted:

You're gonna pick up a lot of loaded misinformation, and I honestly don't have the energy right now to cover it all, but suffice to say, I'm not banning homosexuals in the cooking forum.

:thunk:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

happy redundant year everyone.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hi Lowtax, welcome to GWS. What's your opinion on tipping?

Edit: Also you're never in here. Are you like Beetlejuice or Candyman or something?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 2, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Made fresh pasta for the first time for NYE, with the Kitchenaid pasta roller/cutter I gave my wife for Xmas...two years ago. Came out really really well! Tossed it in homemade vodka sauce which also came out aces.

Hope everyone had a delicious and safe NYE, and have a great 2020!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Beans belong in black eyed peas with collards and cornbread, happy New Year all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's time to get serious about my weight problem. I'm cutting out sugar and minimizing bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice for everyday meals (exceptions made for get-togethers and celebrations). This isn't really a big deal, because I'm much more of a meat-eater than I am a carb hound, but I am gonna miss pasta and rice a bit.

I tend to make a lot of stews and I end up with a lot of leftovers, so I ordered a Zojirushi food jar to help me start bringing lunch to work. Hopefully I never end up getting sick of Japanese curry.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Hopefully I never end up getting sick of Japanese curry.

Uhhh, you going to eat that without rice?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

The Midniter posted:

Made fresh pasta for the first time for NYE, with the Kitchenaid pasta roller/cutter I gave my wife for Xmas...two years ago. Came out really really well! Tossed it in homemade vodka sauce which also came out aces.

Hope everyone had a delicious and safe NYE, and have a great 2020!

Please let me know what recipe you used! I also picked up one of these attachments as a discount impulse buy, and I'd like to use it before it sits in a box for 2 years as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

EVG posted:

Please let me know what recipe you used! I also picked up one of these attachments as a discount impulse buy, and I'd like to use it before it sits in a box for 2 years as well.

Just do something along the lines of 2 cups flour, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 2-3 tbsp of water, and 1/4-1/2 tsp salt. Knead and add more water if you need. Wrap and rest in the fridge for an hour before rolling out. If you start getting into it you can try different egg::yolk ratios, other flours, and adding flavors.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Nephzinho posted:

Just do something along the lines of 2 cups flour, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 2-3 tbsp of water, and 1/4-1/2 tsp salt. Knead and add more water if you need. Wrap and rest in the fridge for an hour before rolling out. If you start getting into it you can try different egg::yolk ratios, other flours, and adding flavors.

I picked up some semolina flour as well, but haven't figured out what to use it with yet. I just need to dive in and do it. I've made pasta before, it's just been a long time!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

Here is the recipe I used. Pretty similar to what Nephzinho mentioned.

We ended up letting it rest for ~90 minutes after kneading because wine, but I don't think it impacted the end result in any way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Uhhh, you going to eat that without rice?

:shrug: Yeah, I know. It’s fine without rice, IME. I’m not doing keto specifically, I just don’t wanna eat too many carbs.

And hey, Indian curries are perfectly good without rice or bread!!!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Pollyanna posted:

:shrug: Yeah, I know. It’s fine without rice, IME. I’m not doing keto specifically, I just don’t wanna eat too many carbs.

This is my tactics too. I don't honestly miss the rice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

EVG posted:

I picked up some semolina flour as well, but haven't figured out what to use it with yet. I just need to dive in and do it. I've made pasta before, it's just been a long time!

Different flours have different hydration needs and roll out to different thicknesses before tearing. Just play with AP flour until you get a hang of it and then go nuts experimenting. 50/50 split whole wheat and semolina was my house pasta for a few years, lately i've been doing all purpose flour + granulated black garlic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love the King Arthur Special Patent for making pasta, but it can be hard to find.

So much of pasta making is experience, knowing how to tweak the dough for different needs. Just dive in and do it! It's not nearly as daunting as it seems.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

Carbs are my favourite food group. I don’t know how people give them up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I gotta drop some weight and my plan is to switch from pizza, sandwich loaves, and bagels to more rice. I think it's much easier to eat 300g of flour turned to bread then 300g of dried rice cooked. Pizza only like twice week now :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Scientastic posted:

Mine too, but I tend to overeat them, and I get more satiated from meat, veg, etc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Starches are probably my least favorite food group, but I still wouldn't give them up.
Some dishes need rice, and I really enjoy sandwiches and burritos.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, could probably survive entirely on potatoes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

If I ever had to give up carbs I'd probably be able to just wall over my kitchen. Would just grill things for the rest of my life?