Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My damage was ok, the rail just doesn't feel satisfying to me for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PJOmega posted:

In my experience (only 2 successful runs out of 30) if you want a hope of beating them you have to plan from the very first boon for it. There are several runs I hit the third zone and went "this won't finish it, do your best to accrue cash for a diamond/blood, then suicide on poison and push through act 3."
Eraflure streaking 30 games is proof that you don’t have to get lucky with boons to beat Hades.

I think a reliable source of Weak is your best bet when you’re learning his patterns. It also makes the whole game more forgiving. Smartly using an invulnerable aid when you recognize you’re in a bad position has been a rewarding thing for me to focus on.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

kaschei posted:

I think a reliable source of Weak is your best bet when you’re learning his patterns. It also makes the whole game more forgiving. Smartly using an invulnerable aid when you recognize you’re in a bad position has been a rewarding thing for me to focus on.

Yep, no question on this

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kaschei posted:

Eraflure streaking 30 games is proof that you don’t have to get lucky with boons to beat Hades.

I didn't say you needed to be lucky, I said you need to be mindful of how it will help you the entire run including the final boss.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
What's left to add in this game before they leave EA? I don't really like buying early access games, so unless it's feature-complete I am probably gonna wait.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

What's left to add in this game before they leave EA? I don't really like buying early access games, so unless it's feature-complete I am probably gonna wait.

Proper ending. Final aspects for weapons. 6th weapon. Another Olympian God.

But I wouldn't have noticed much of it besides the ending if they just launched now.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They’ve said they’re not going to add new biomes, I hope they add more rooms to existing ones. Asphodel seems to have two rooms total, and one of them is the boat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I want more stuff :argh:

Also you could add Erebus too :argh:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Proper ending. Final aspects for weapons. 6th weapon. Another Olympian God.

But I wouldn't have noticed much of it besides the ending if they just launched now.

There's a lot of space remaining in the keepsake closet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eraflure posted:

My damage was ok, the rail just doesn't feel satisfying to me for some reason

making GBS threads out triple mortars on +25% speed and dashing around covering the screen in explosives is satisfying, but the regular Attack just kinda sucks and isn't very fun to sit there plinking and I hate using it when I don't get that triple-special. Even when I was stacked up with Attack poo poo, it still feels kinda not very interesting. Infinite ammo and piercing/exploding shots is surprisingly way more disappointing than I had expected. I have not tried a Spread-shot build with it yet though.

Likewise Bow is great and fun as hell when you get maxed Chirron or using Hera but otherwise I don't like using it. The auto-attack hammer upgrade is usually my go-to when I can get it but mostly as a vehicle to spam Chirron or Hera casts more easily while staying super mobile.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
All I want from a patch is for them to rework the Hydra fight because it's a drag on the otherwise fast pace of the game.

Also maybe make it so that the respawning Elysium dudes don't get gold armor ever? But that might be asking too much.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah I feel like you could easily cut out the first 1/3rd of the Hydra fight and lose nothing. If I'm struggling by the time I get to the Hydra, it's probably a doomed run anyway, and if I'm steamrolling, the fight is just a big time sink. I just started doing heat runs, so maybe some of those make it more interesting.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Extreme Measures Hydra is definitely spicier.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eraflure posted:

Extreme Measures Hydra is definitely spicier.

Yeah it's way better

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

The worst wrath is Athena when there are shield bearers present. Enjoy probably dying to those fuckers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The rocket upgrade for the Rail along with Artemis Crit damage on special is pretty great. I also picked up the never reload upgrade and that made it feel pretty decent.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jesus, Elysium is no joke. Those sword fuckers that revive, wow :argh: The chariots keep catching me off guard, too

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was running a mostly poison (but Cast is still ridic burst) build with a Chaos Shield and it was going well until the game crashed on the Elysium boss fight. Ugh.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm probably using the shield wrong since I'm at 3-4 Heat with all the other weapons while I'm stuck at 1 with the shield. Unless I get a really good cast or a unusually stupid attack combo it doesn't seem to do enough damage. The block helps but the best damage mitigation is a dead enemy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brandfarlig posted:

I'm probably using the shield wrong since I'm at 3-4 Heat with all the other weapons while I'm stuck at 1 with the shield. Unless I get a really good cast or a unusually stupid attack combo it doesn't seem to do enough damage. The block helps but the best damage mitigation is a dead enemy.

Artemis Cast solves all problems. Barring that, Chaos Shield has really good AoE damage if you add poison to it, and the regular attack is actually pretty strong if completely lacking in range.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well it took 21 attempts but I finally beat the game. Its funny because it was, for most of it, the worst run ever. I was using the rail gun trying to setup the weak/poison combo with supporting fire that almost got me a win last time. But the game just refused to give me the right boons. I ran into Dio several times but he never offered me poison on special or attack. I tried going in on Ares for doom instead of weak, but Ares refused to give me doom on anything! And Artmeis never offered support fire. It was absolutely abysmal and I died twice before even getting to Elysium.

What didn't help was that I spent my dadedalus hammer on a rocket launcher which actually seems worse than the standard grenade. But then I got triple rockets, and combined with Artemis letting me crit on special I suddenly did damage. Won the game spamming rockets and basically never attacking.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Dias posted:

I was running a mostly poison (but Cast is still ridic burst) build with a Chaos Shield and it was going well until the game crashed on the Elysium boss fight. Ugh.

The game usually autosaves, you should be able to restart there or one room back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magitek posted:

The trick with both Shieldbearers and the large chariots is to take advantage of their long dormant periods after their attacks. The shield guys will literally stand there motionless for ~3 seconds after doing one of their attacks, so bait them and then dash to their rear and hit them repeatedly. With the large chariots, you need to bait them into hitting an object. Just dash over one of the gaps in the floor or through a pillar, then use the time they stand there motionless to turn them into glue.

Small chariots, too; they will blow themselves up on walls and obstacles if you kite them into those things. It's often my favored way of dealing with them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

threelemmings posted:

The game usually autosaves, you should be able to restart there or one room back.

Nope, just counted as a "give up". :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dias posted:

Dias posted:

:smug: "Ha ha! The sniveling fiend was so weak of spirit that the mere sight of my glorious visage was enough to vanquish him!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

:smug: "Ha ha! The sniveling fiend was so weak of spirit that the mere sight of my glorious visage was enough to vanquish him!"

"Zagreus was about to cross the entrance to Hell when the windows close to him blew him into the abyss"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Is Children of Morta like this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game seriously has a problem with particle effect density. I had a run that was going well but the setup I had caused whatever I was hitting to be buried under so much flashing poo poo that I couldn't even see them, which made dodging problematic. The last boss kept hitting me because I couldn't see their animations. It feels pretty lovely.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ILL Machina posted:

Is Children of Morta like this?

Yes. However Hades is significantly better in terms of raw gameplay, IMO.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dias posted:

in case you guys are unaware, give up isn't "eat a loss", give up is "reset to just before you start the run, with the same room order, boons offered, etc"

so alt+f4 is to reset the latest room you're in, and give up is to start the run with the same seed, so to speak

oh and quit is "we auto saved so you can just leave now and come back to this exact spot"

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

in case you guys are unaware, give up isn't "eat a loss", give up is "reset to just before you start the run, with the same room order, boons offered, etc"

so alt+f4 is to reset the latest room you're in, and give up is to start the run with the same seed, so to speak

oh and quit is "we auto saved so you can just leave now and come back to this exact spot"

This might have changed, but I think Alt-F4 is disabled at most times in a run. You used to be able to shortcut to desktop while picking a boon/upgrade and then go back and get a different one if you didn't like it. I'm pretty sure they changed any exit from a run beyond using "Quit" in the menu to dump you back at the house for this reason.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 4, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Artelier posted:

I know, but it's kinda boring knowing the seed and redoing everything, bleh. I just picked different options when I restarted.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there no "eat a loss" option besides just standing on lava and waiting?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Is there no "eat a loss" option besides just standing on lava and waiting?

I can't find it, and I'm guessing it's to discourage people from just resetting if they don't get a boon they want in the entryway.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

Oh great, there go my bragging rights :negative:

Regarding special trinkets: Bouldy, on top of being way too powerful, can completely block certain enemies. Super Theseus' chariot form couldn't run around the arena because the money drops were in the way. He just stood in place, bombing the ground around it without a pause and forced me to plink away at him with a ranged attack until phase 2.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I'm wondering if they may enable a way in the menu to quit and take the loss after they reach full release. I know they're looking at player data on runs for the purpose of balancing difficulty and whatnot. I can see the advantage of being able to force people to play with sub-optimal builds and less favored boons with the current setup. A lot of folks would just quit and restart repeatedly until they got a hammer in room 1 if given the option.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 4, 2020

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
man i really, really hate the achilles spear. i've tried it repeatedly, even leveled it up and i get that the damage bonus post dash is huge and applies to everything but god it sucks to use. half the time i'm either accidentally dashing to somewhere i don't want to be, it's more awkward to just use the throw/recall mode of the special, and if i want to pump cast damage theres other weapons that just do it better without being garbage on their own. hard pass from now on, ill take zag aspect if i have to use the spear

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I'm wondering if they may enable an a way in the menu to quit and take the loss after they reach full release. I know they're looking at player data on runs for the purpose of balancing difficulty and whatnot. I can see the advantage of being able to force people to play with sub-optimal builds and less favored boons with the current setup. A lot of folks would just quit and restart repeatedly until they got a hammer in room 1 if given the option.

Which is strange to me as I think getting a boon in the first room is better than a hammer.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Eraflure posted:

Which is strange to me as I think getting a boon in the first room is better than a hammer.
Boons can up your damage more than any hammer upgrade. But:
- hammer upgrades are more “definitive” of how you can utilize boons. A good spell might mean a large damage increase but be basically useless when your hammer upgrade means you just want to spam special attack 24/7 later on. In other words, knowing one of your hammer upgrades can help you choose more appropriate boons to the play style your build ends up in.
- it really feels bad to have to choose between Hermes, Hammer, or Chaos later on in the dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

kaschei posted:

Boons can up your damage more than any hammer upgrade. But:
- hammer upgrades are more “definitive” of how you can utilize boons

Yeah that's why I'd rather not have one early on. I build around my basic boons (attack/special/cast/call), see what I get, if I can make good use of boiling blood or privileged status or if I'm going to go hard on a specific type of offense, and then pick a hammer according to what I need the most in my run. Since I aim for consistency, I don't want to pigeonhole myself before even knowing which gods I'll meet.
The other thing is that if you skip a hammer room early on a floor (usually elysium), you'll be offered another hammer several rooms later. Lets you optimize your rewards a bit more.
And then there's the sword which has mostly weak hammers. I just end up skipping the second one altogether if the first one gave me the wider special (or the big overhead slash with a crit build).

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2020