Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life did some extra tall strips for no good reason.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Haifisch posted:

With one time bonus Wizard of Id, because :confused:

At last, my vast Boomer knowledge base proves useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNfpQ_8tEw

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Too soon, Horace.

Too soon.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

F-f-f-f-fingerpori!

(In Finland driver's licenses are divided into categories which allow you to drive different types of vehicles. The most common license is a class B license which basically allows you to drive normal civilian cars, most types of lorries etc, with limitations on weight, number of wheels, passenger/cargo capacity etc but there are many other classes as well. It can be a bit confusing.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 10, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 10, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 10, 1988)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Should I do that? Normally I'd agree with you but the images I post are extremely vertical and much more difficult to ignore if I don't tag them.
I personally just skip Dharma so take my input for what it's worth (sorry, you're doing a good job of it, I'm just not into it), but expanding timg images pretty frequently fails to work for me. Probably my browser or some extension, I can just right click and open images in a new tab so it's not a huge hassle, but given that I personally like it better when people just post normally.

E: As an aside, of course there'll be some Pyton during the new year as well. When I get around to it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Glad to see The Lockhorns is joining the fight for healthcare reform.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 10, 1998)

Doooooooo not do this.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 3, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am fine with the images the way they are!

But I love Chief Dharma so...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today, Romesh brandishes a "tyre iron" or "tire iron", the club of choice in dramatically impromptu action situations. I like this guy.

Kind of funny that only a few months ago Romesh was robbing Amy's, and now he's chasing off the robbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars disagrees with Darth Vader

I had to look this up: the first use of the word "Sith" was in the novelization of the first movie, so it's been around a while. Episode 1 is the first time it was mentioned in current canon.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’ll be traveling for the next few days, so you’ll all have to find some way to get through life without servings of Ripley’s.

Moomin’s looking sharp, SubNat!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 8, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 11-15, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 11-12, 2014)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

They didn't bother inking in the outline of her face and it's bothering me

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 11-15, 1986)

I love the onion storyline so much, it might be my favorite C&H bit.

The worst IL strips (and all strips, really) are the ones where there's actually something like a joke hidden in there. The Red Lobster line is actually pretty funny, but it's buried in the hack writing and the belief that there needs to be a second punchline after the punchline.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curt- ahahahahaha what the gently caress is this, billingsley you suck so hard, lol

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 22, 1932)

Peanuts (January 5, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 4, 1936, and for whoever asked yesterday, sorry, the website leapfrogged over Goon Island. They also skipped Swee'pea showing up, which is a mega-bummer.)

Out Our Way (November 27-29, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (June 8-10, 1916)

Dok's Duck (January 5, 1913)

The inauguration of Woodrow Wilson was held on March 4th, with the Women's Suffrage Parade going on the day before. Of course, there's a story behind that last one.

Someone writing for a better White House than the one we have right now posted:

The organizers of the parade also maximized attention on the event by strategically hosting it just one day before the inauguration of President-elect Woodrow Wilson. This tactic worked. As the women marched from the U.S. Capitol toward the Treasury Building, they were met by thousands of spectators, many in town for the inauguration.

Not all spectators were kind. Some marchers were jostled, tripped, and violently attacked, while police on the parade route did little to help. By the end of the day, over 100 women had to be hospitalized for injuries. However, the women did not give up; they finished the parade. Their experiences led to major news stories and even congressional hearings. Historians later credited the 1913 parade for giving the suffrage movement a new wave of inspiration and purpose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: You know, Corto, there was a good chance that both sides would think that the other had fired upon them when you tried to get their attention..., or Ras Yaqob cares little for exposition, or A little less Shakespearean in it's ending, much more Greek antiquity, imho

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Johnny Aztec posted:

While it wasn't going to be as apocalyptic as the media made it out to be, theY2K thing WAS an actual, and big, problem for a poo poo load of systems that were running critical infrastructure.
People spent a poo poo load of time and effort FIXING the bug BEFORE it was a problem.

There's been a dangerous trend in recent years to try to retcon the Y2K bug as "fake news" (google those two terms for examples), presumably so that we can feel better about ignoring any approaching problems rather than dealing with them before they explode. Fortunately there's a large contingent of aging computer nerds who spent years doing the actual work of fixing the problem in time, who are being very vocal about pushing back on this kind of nonsense. But it's anyone's guess whether that message is reaching the people who need to hear it, in this age of the Internet echo chamber.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

I’ll be traveling for the next few days, so you’ll all have to find some way to get through life without servings of Ripley’s.
I don't believe it. :colbert:

Vargo posted:

Curt- ahahahahaha what the gently caress is this, billingsley you suck so hard, lol

What the hell?

F Minus

The Walt Disney Story

Mark Trail

That pack? Filled with nothing but bear repellant!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

This is the only view we've had of who is visiting.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

So the fact that shes some sort of Instagram celebrity never came up in your months of dating huh? Sound like quite the relationship you got going there!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Oh gently caress now that being a nerd is mainstream this is going to be how Bets is a Bad Nerd for being popular and marketing herself unlike our Good Good Boy Gunther.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bonus points if the fact that Gunther makes the cosplays Bets wears comes up as a way to attack her, when she's apparently been very open online about having a boyfriend and building Gunther up, not stealing credit or anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

... That's it?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

During Great Reduction (1680) the Swedish Crown revoked large amount of lands from the nobility. Saved the economy (the nobleman didn't have to pay taxes for those lands), but made lots of people angry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia
Per Brahe was the governor-general of Finland 1637-40 and 1648-54. He founded ten cities, the first university and supported Finnish language. He's one of the most notable names in the Finnish history before the 19th century.

Amusingly it isn't mentioned here, but Brahe was also one of the Sweden's richest men and the leader of the regency government, so perhaps the biggest oligarch of them all.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

He appeared in a Sunday story, so we haven't met him.

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 3, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Don't loving sit outside then.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vargo posted:

What the gently caress? This ending was lamer than a three-legged llama.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

Dustin's dad locked him out of the house and the kid forgot his keys and nobody's home to let him in, obviously.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sorry, is that little kid smoking in that Powerful Katrinka comic?

What a loving time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

If he sits down inside his whole family will gather around to call him a lazy Millennial piece of poo poo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

"Internet of Things" is the term used to describe "smart" appliances and outlet plugs and the like; household objects that can be controlled via the internet.

(The security of IoT devices is pretty poor and a very complex issue, so get ready for Galaxy Brain Holbrook to deliver a hell of a treatise on the topic)

I see, thanks for the explanation. If this were Safe Havens, then I'd assume Holbrook would use Internet DNA to solve the issue, so I'm bracing myself for something even more stupid.

Der Shovel posted:

1. You don’t defend a master’s thesis.
2. That’s 100% not how a doctoral dissertation defense works.
3. gently caress you holbrook

Like what the gently caress type of master's thesis is this supposed to be where you invite your "defense committee" over to see you securing a bunch of IoT devices at your own home? Your loving thesis/dissertation is supposed to be an independent academic work another academic can pick up and understand your thesis and its arguments based on the merits of that work, not having to pop round to yours to see you secure your IoT fridge and blender.

4b. gently caress YOU HOLBROOK

Der Shovel, I just want to say that I appreciate you tearing down all the ways Holbrook makes up completely inaccurate bullshit like what being a department head is about or his idea of a thesis defense taking place at home.

I can see Bets being popular, but why would anyone ever want to be fans of a milquetoast loser like Gunther?

Also I just noticed that in yesterday's strip, Deku from My Hero Academia was in panel one and that somehow pisses me off more than it should.

This whole "Waaaah, I'm growing older!" feels completely contrived to keep Zak and Iris apart. Zak entered in a relationship with Iris knowing full well that she's older than him, so it's not like he's going to care or hasn't expected it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

I can see Bets being popular, but why would anyone ever want to be fans of a milquetoast loser like Gunther?

I could see intstagram and pintrest people being a fan of a cosplayer and their costume maker as a couple. It's cute enough in its own way. The stupidity comes from him being apparently unaware that she was active in the scene.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 9, 1998)

rip gene's friend, made one joke too far

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/14/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/20/46

Mopsy 7/30/42

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vargo posted:

"Pixel Anne-Lee" is a well-known anagram for "Stheno", one of the Gorgons! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

All we need now is the Powerful Katrinka to lift up Dr. Kream so she can vacuum or whatever and in come the cops --- by Fontaine Fox.