Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Isn't it something like the part of his brain that regulates his beams sees the ruby quartz color and assumes he's already blasting, so it doesn't have to open up the punch dimension? I had thought it was psychology rather than physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kalli posted:

Sometimes he'd also lift his sunglasses and cheat at pool. Gotta love that early Claremont era where part of Cyclops' mutant power was being good at math. The least badass thing possible.

You be nice to Amadeus Cho!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly "being good at math" is a *lot* of character's superpowers and can be insanely badass. Bullseye is an example.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly "being good at math" is a *lot* of character's superpowers and can be insanely badass. Bullseye is an example.

Karnak, arguably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Karnak, arguably.

Nah, and most of these are dumb examples. David Beckham was one of the best people in the world at getting a soccer ball to go exactly where he wanted it to and no one ever said he was "good at math." Same with most top athletes.

Also I got straight As in geometry and I loving suck at pool.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Admiralty Flag posted:

In all fairness, IIRC Cap also has some heightened intuitive understanding of physics/geometry/trig (shamefully I don't have a copy of OHOTMU to verify) that allows him to know exactly how to throw his shield to get the best ricochets and to have it return to where he will be. I don't remember if it was part of super soldier serum or he just practices so much he instinctually knows it (which is admittedly cooler than just having it as a power)

There's plenty of legit lame stuff we can pick on Cyclops about, but this power would be incredibly useful not only for trick shots with his mutation but also understanding the battlefield

Am I going to feel compelled to defend Gambit next? Better dial back my contrarinism.

Somebody post the panels where Taskmaster was helping train somebody to be Captain America/helping Cap retrain his shield throwing skills after some injury or other, TIA.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Somebody post the panels where Taskmaster was helping train somebody to be Captain America/helping Cap retrain his shield throwing skills after some injury or other, TIA.

I don't have that, but I do have this:

and this:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who is that in the first one?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hawkguy

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Precambrian posted:

Isn't it something like the part of his brain that regulates his beams sees the ruby quartz color and assumes he's already blasting, so it doesn't have to open up the punch dimension? I had thought it was psychology rather than physics.

I mean Cyclops has existed for long enough that ever explanation posted so far is probably accurate.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Between Hawkeye and that Cyclops/Daredevil panel from the last page, it's starting to irk me that all these heroes look alike. I mean I knew it wasn't Cap because of the (weird) diddling line, but from there it was ???.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Between Hawkeye and that Cyclops/Daredevil panel from the last page, it's starting to irk me that all these heroes look alike. I mean I knew it wasn't Cap because of the (weird) diddling line, but from there it was ???.

Well, most superheroes are from the 60's or earlier, and aren't allowed to age hardly at all, so they tend to all be handsome white young adult men.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

aren't allowed to age hardly at all

There was a supplement for the first Marvel Super Heroes RPG - I think it was the NYC box set - that said, effectively, "We've seen Spider-Man graduate high school, go to college, and grow and mature into adulthood. Meanwhile, Daredevil has been 29 years old this entire time. The solution to this paradox is to just relax and let it go."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There was a supplement for the first Marvel Super Heroes RPG - I think it was the NYC box set - that said, effectively, "We've seen Spider-Man graduate high school, go to college, and grow and mature into adulthood. Meanwhile, Daredevil has been 29 years old this entire time. The solution to this paradox is to just relax and let it go."

No one is allowed to turn thirty in the MCU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Bullseye is not badass he kills old ladies and children, that's simply rude.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

No one is allowed to turn thirty in the MCU

They allowed it (briefly) for Cap!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Slow agers aren't allowed to turn 70. It's their 30.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's possible for characters to grow old, but just like how it feels when you're in your teens or 20s, growing old is only possible in some distant or alternate future.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What age was Professor X in the original Uncanny series? He seems like he's always been roughly 50ish while others verrryyyy slowly aged around him. Over 50 years.

I'm trying to think of a character who would benefit from aging in real-time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sticksy posted:

What age was Professor X in the original Uncanny series? He seems like he's always been roughly 50ish while others verrryyyy slowly aged around him. Over 50 years.

He was basically Yul Brynner so maybe in his 40s, which Brynner was in the 1960s.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hilariously? He might have been in his mid 30s when the series first started. He was drafted to Korea fairly young, and that was 1950. X-Men started in 63. Even if he was 25 that would still put him at 37 come the beginning of X-Men, and he was probably a little younger than that. The bald thing and hanging around with Magneto makes him seem older than he is.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

Hilariously? He might have been in his mid 30s when the series first started. He was drafted to Korea fairly young, and that was 1950. X-Men started in 63. Even if he was 25 that would still put him at 37 come the beginning of X-Men, and he was probably a little younger than that. The bald thing and hanging around with Magneto makes him seem older than he is.

I'm 37 and I think my hair is starting to thin...gently caress!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Toshimo posted:

I don't have that, but I do have this:

I'm sorry, did Stark just insinuate that four SHIELD agents beheaded or bisected themselves throwing Cap's shield, and seventy-three others are grievously wounded as a result of their attempts?

SHIELD's still a government agency, I thought, does OSHA not apply? Why didn't they stop at one critically wounded attempt? Has SHIELD always been this repressively authoritarian to its front line agents?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pacra posted:

I'm sorry, did Stark just insinuate that four SHIELD agents beheaded or bisected themselves throwing Cap's shield, and seventy-three others are grievously wounded as a result of their attempts?

SHIELD's still a government agency, I thought, does OSHA not apply? Why didn't they stop at one critically wounded attempt? Has SHIELD always been this repressively authoritarian to its front line agents because you are one of the best trained agents in the country?

Would YOU listen if your boss told you "hey don't throw the shield of the literal embodiment of heroism in the United States" and you were just SO SURE you could pull it off?

Also I took it as Tony got wanged in the head by the four poorest tosses, and that the ones in the hospital might just have broken wrists/hands/forearms going by how they probably tried to catch it like a frisbee or tried to do what Hawkeye is doing. Hell, it looks like Hawkeye's about to break his thumb there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pacra posted:

SHIELD's still a government agency, I thought, does OSHA not apply? Why didn't they stop at one critically wounded attempt? Has SHIELD always been this repressively authoritarian to its front line agents?

I think they all volunteered. I mean, this was in the post-civil war era, so SHIELD was basically at its most authoritarian, but I presume all those people chose to do it to hopefully become the new cap. And Tony, really, really wanted a new Captain America. Especially if he could get one on his side. He did give the shield & costume to Bucky in the end.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

sticksy posted:

I'm 37 and I think my hair is starting to thin...gently caress!

I'm 34 and i have some thinning too. Of course since my dad, grandfather and all my uncles went bald it was inevitable. One of my uncles went bald at 18.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

I'm 34 and i have some thinning too. Of course since my dad, grandfather and all my uncles went bald it was inevitable. One of my uncles went bald at 18.

It's a recessive gene carried on the X chromosome, so your maternal grandfather has way more to do with whether or not you'll go bald than your dad or anyone on their side of the family (genetically speaking, they might be a big enough assholes to cause stress induced hair loss).

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

It's a recessive gene carried on the X chromosome, so your maternal grandfather has way more to do with whether or not you'll go bald than your dad or anyone on their side of the family (genetically speaking, they might be a big enough assholes to cause stress induced hair loss).

LOL yeah I should have mentioned that all my uncles are on moms side and her dad went bald too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pacra posted:

You can't make the hard decisions that keep the soft, ignorant people safe unless you're willing to throw your life and training away for absolutely no goddamn reason. HOOAH

But yeah I read that as 'the other four guys ducked or hit Tony's dome instead.'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I read an old Shield series where Nick Fury killed some staff psychics by overworking them until their brains burned out.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
that panel of him catching the shield badly misunderstands how arm straps work. clint is taking his missing thumb really well in the next panel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Recently since he stopped dressing in full costume, Hawkeye's been leaning really hard into "always wearing some amount of purple" to make him stick out from his other white male counterparts

See, like this. (I was gonna post this in the funny panels thread but discussion made it relevant here and the last part is kinda sorta badass in a way if you squint). Hawkeye - Freefall #1:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm pretty sure Daredevil's secondary mutation is that anyone he beds will die.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gologle posted:

STDD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gologle posted:

The blind woman only went insane, I don't think she ever died.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The blind woman only went insane, I don't think she ever died.

Anyone Daredevil doesn't bed will ALSO die.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I feel like the four agents who aimed for and/or hit Tony’s head should maybe hang around, they show good instincts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kalli posted:

Sometimes he'd also lift his sunglasses and cheat at pool. Gotta love that early Claremont era where part of Cyclops' mutant power was being good at math. The least badass thing possible.

..."spacial"?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its an uncommon spelling of spatial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://youtu.be/V-fRuoMIfpw?t=5