Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus it'll be good experience for the ol' resume so he can jump ship if he is getting screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Oh right, I forgot my :yotj: again!

I was the Senior Cloud Analyst for our company, and so they sent me to Microsoft Ignite in November to learn even more DevOpsy stuff. While I was in Florida, I received 3(!!!) internal job offers (including one from my own team), each of which were super interesting. My existing position with more responsibility, DevSecOps engineer, and Solution Architect (the first in our company).

I took my time to think about them while I was gone, and when I got home, I settled on the Solution Architect position. I was also told by the Enterprise Architect I'd be reporting to that his 1 year vision is to be leaving the company, and so at that time, I'd become the Enterprise Architect and I'd be responsible for hiring a new Solution Architect.

I've never worked for a company that actually recognized talent within their own organization so I'm kind of beside myself at this point.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

nexxai posted:

Oh right, I forgot my :yotj: again!

I was the Senior Cloud Analyst for our company, and so they sent me to Microsoft Ignite in November to learn even more DevOpsy stuff. While I was in Florida, I received 3(!!!) internal job offers (including one from my own team), each of which were super interesting. My existing position with more responsibility, DevSecOps engineer, and Solution Architect (the first in our company).

I took my time to think about them while I was gone, and when I got home, I settled on the Solution Architect position. I was also told by the Enterprise Architect I'd be reporting to that his 1 year vision is to be leaving the company, and so at that time, I'd become the Enterprise Architect and I'd be responsible for hiring a new Solution Architect.

I've never worked for a company that actually recognized talent within their own organization so I'm kind of beside myself at this point.

What up, Ignite buddy? :hfive:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

kensei posted:

My boss gave his notice on the 30th. They called and offered me his job on the 31st.

:yotj:

I may be in a similar situation soon, except I don't really want his job and I'm not sure I even want to stay if he leaves.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My boss finally publicly announced that I'm moving to another department, so I guess it's finally official!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kensei posted:

My boss gave his notice on the 30th. They called and offered me his job on the 31st.

Nice

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

What up, Ignite buddy? :hfive:
whaddup

That was the first "real" conference I'd ever been to, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was life-changing. Spending 8 hours a day just learning new stuff is like my utopia. I told my wife (half-joking, half-not) that I should say gently caress all 3 of the jobs and become a professional conference attendee.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

nexxai posted:

whaddup

That was the first "real" conference I'd ever been to, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was life-changing. Spending 8 hours a day just learning new stuff is like my utopia. I told my wife (half-joking, half-not) that I should say gently caress all 3 of the jobs and become a professional conference attendee.

I hate that most of the conferences I've been to are full of events from people that are just advertising their products. Sometimes you still learn something useful from those, but not always.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks friends.

I know what he made, and I got close. To be fair, I have not managed a team in years, so I did not expect to make what he made. I got more than a 25% raise so I think it's fine, all things considered.

I might be able to backfill myself, I will post if that is the case.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

kensei posted:

:yotj: congrats! the best kind of post you'll see in this thread :unsmith:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Very senior UK government advisor just put up a job advert on his blog looking for "expert coders" who are "weirdos" if any of you are looking for a job right now (it's also an implicit acknowledgement that GDS is useless, which the goon who works there at a senior level and gets angry at me when I'm rude about them will love, I swear)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

E. Junior researchers

In many aspects of government, as in the tech world and investing, brains and temperament smash experience and seniority out of the park.

We want to hire some VERY clever young people either straight out of university or recently out with with extreme curiosity and capacity for hard work.

One of you will be a sort of personal assistant to me for a year — this will involve a mix of very interesting work and lots of uninteresting trivia that makes my life easier which you won’t enjoy. You will not have weekday date nights, you will sacrifice many weekends — frankly it will hard having a boy/girlfriend at all. It will be exhausting but interesting and if you cut it you will be involved in things at the age of ~21 that most people never see.

I don’t want confident public school bluffers. I want people who are much brighter than me who can work in an extreme environment. If you play office politics, you will be discovered and immediately binned.

'Work date nights and weekends with me. You won't have a boyfriend'

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ookiimarukochan posted:

Very senior UK government advisor just put up a job advert on his blog looking for "expert coders" who are "weirdos" if any of you are looking for a job right now (it's also an implicit acknowledgement that GDS is useless, which the goon who works there at a senior level and gets angry at me when I'm rude about them will love, I swear)
Checked URL. :smithicide:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hmm... Yes... Give up nights and weekends working for a Tory....

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're not even going to make enough to pay your barrister when you get called up to testify during the hearings.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

People in SW1 talk a lot about ‘diversity’ but they rarely mean ‘true cognitive diversity’. They are usually babbling about ‘gender identity diversity blah blah’. What SW1 needs is not more drivel about ‘identity’ and ‘diversity’ from Oxbridge humanities graduates but more genuine cognitive diversity.

We need some true wild cards, artists, people who never went to university and fought their way out of an appalling hell hole, weirdos from William Gibson novels like that girl hired by Bigend as a brand ‘diviner’ who feels sick at the sight of Tommy Hilfiger or that Chinese-Cuban free runner from a crime family hired by the KGB. If you want to figure out what characters around Putin might do, or how international criminal gangs might exploit holes in our border security, you don’t want more Oxbridge English graduates who chat about Lacan at dinner parties with TV producers and spread fake news about fake news.

By definition I don’t really know what I’m looking for but I want people around No10 to be on the lookout for such people.

We need to figure out how to use such people better without asking them to conform to the horrors of ‘Human Resources’ (which also obviously need a bonfire).

This is the absolute worst job listing I have ever seen in my life.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Edgy AF, bro.

JFC.

And you know they're going to get bites.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Weedle posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/03/dominic-cummings-call-for-no-10-staff-may-break-employment-law

quote:

One of the UK’s top employment lawyers described the post – which circumvented the usual Whitehall recruitment process and was peppered with the type of combative language Cummings has become known for – as “quite outrageous from an employment law perspective”.

“I am surprised the Cabinet secretary allowed this advert to go out,” said John Bowers QC, a leading employment barrister who also recalled what he described as Cummings’ “cavalier approach” last year when he sacked a young aide.

The head of Britain’s biggest civil servants’ union said that Cummings’ comment: “I’ll bin you within weeks if you don’t fit – don’t complain later because I made it clear now”, implied that he “wants to hire and fire at will” and revealed an anti-trade union mentality that would be “strenuously resisted”.
A former head of the civil service, Lord Kerslake, cautioned Cummings against launching a “war” on the government service, warning that it cannot be changed overnight.
“What I would guard against is getting into a war with the civil service where they get given the blame, if you like, for anything that doesn’t quite go right – it works a lot better if you deliver change with the grain of the civil service.”

Land war in Asia, fighting with the civil service.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Cummings and his ilk love wanking over the Northern working classes, but I bet they’ll take one look at my non-binary rear end and bin the application.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TinTower posted:

Cummings and his ilk love wanking over the Northern working classes, but I bet they’ll take one look at my non-binary rear end and bin the application.

And then proposition you in the bathroom.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Once Brexit hits, he and Johnson will blame the Civil Service for the fallout, and use the resulting crisis to pass "reforms." It's loving disaster capitalism, straight from the George W. Bush playbook.

And it will probably work.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shut up Meg posted:

'Work date nights and weekends with me. You won't have a boyfriend'

Lemme tell you, starting off your help-wanted post with a quote from Eliezer "It's like religion, but with AI as god" Yudkowsky is a real quick way to generate derisive laughs.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 3, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TinTower posted:

No, see, they want cognitive diversity. Someone who isn't afraid to stand up to the radical left PC police university professors in their ivory towers and ask the tough questions: have we really debunked phrenology?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress the British government hth

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress all governments hth

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Imagine if David Brent started a cult and then became the most senior adviser to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. And then imagine that he had strong connections to nazi types. And then imagine that even the nazis thought, a la David Brent, that he was sort of thick.

(that's part 2, part 1 is here. you cannot understand just how thoroughly excellent and competent the UK government is without understanding that Cummings is a cultist, and what he's a cultist of.)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Weedle posted:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I really did not want to be this angry on a Saturday

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nexxai posted:

I really did not want to be this angry on a Saturday

Its an old posting, its already been filled.

by a goon

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I would be unable to stop laughing at these people's faces if anyone said a fraction of this poo poo to me. Of course they found someone dumb enough to do it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Its an old posting, its already been filled.

by a goon

Is he ok? :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wibla posted:

Is he ok? :ohdear:

Sadly, he kept digging down and drowned in all the piss.

I actually have no idea

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Me: is it the Rogue listing? Yup, it’s the Rogue listing.

Too bad, cuz their beers and public houses are drat good.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Me: is it the Rogue listing? Yup, it’s the Rogue listing.

Too bad, cuz their beers and public houses are drat good.

At this point it's basically the goatse of the IT world. An old and dear friend I can admire for how much it still angers me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m generally opposed to capital punishment but that Rogue Ales guy should get the chair for selling beer brewed from his beard yeast.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weedle posted:

I’m generally opposed to capital punishment but that Rogue Ales guy should get the chair for selling beer brewed from his beard yeast.

I'd be fine with it(I think its pretty loving cool) if I felt confident they are keeping it separate and marked with giant neon labeling so no one can possibly drink it without knowing.

otoh, I dislike all rogue beers anyway so its probably poo poo

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Not defending them but they claim it was a "bad attempt at humor"

https://mobile.twitter.com/rogueales/status/1101225550062862336

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

I'd be fine with it(I think its pretty loving cool) if I felt confident they are keeping it separate and marked with giant neon labeling so no one can possibly drink it without knowing.

otoh, I dislike all rogue beers anyway so its probably poo poo

The beer they use it in is pretty clearly labeled but like you said, Rogue makes bad beer anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had 2 new high end workstations arrive for users. I cracked one open just out of curiosity, this thing has a hard drive in it? No SSD at all? Thats strange. I mention it to them and they confirm they were ordered with SSDs. I'm told apparently rather than buy them preinstalled, they ordered them separately.

Drives finally arrive today, I get 2 fancy m.2 drives. These computers, somehow, brand new i7 9700 machines have no m.2 slots. The instructions call for PCIe adapters to install them. They didn't send those. Why the gently caress do we have to deal with vendors at all? Why cant we just buy poo poo ourselves without an extra markup for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

The beer they use it in is pretty clearly labeled but like you said, Rogue makes bad beer anyway.

They rode Dead Guy Ale to national success, and a lot of people are still asking how.