Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

is chewie desexed?

chewie fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

toggle posted:

is chewie desexed?

All Wookies are spayed/neutered on their 500th Life Day

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's almost impressive that my opinion of TFA was "It's fine, whatever, it had potential, the characters are good" and TLJ was "It's got some deep flaws but it definitely shook things up for the third act and I liked some of the risks it took" and then they managed to drop a third film that made both of them much worse by existing.

Like what is the point of the fight between the Resistance and First Order with Palpy as a threat in being with a million billion Death Star Destroyers? They hollowed out Illum to make a big laser shotgun, but Palpy could have done the same thing by loaning them like 5 of his souped up laser triangles. TLJ kills off Snoke in a surprise move that sets the stage for Kylo to struggle with his inner conflict while being the Supreme Leader, only we find out that Snoke was literally a creation and in, no exaggeration, the first 5 minutes of the new movie Kylo finds a new Evil Overlord to be a lieutenant to instead of running with the setup of Supreme Leader Kylo Ren.

Now whenever I watch the first two instead of saying "these are flawed but will be good if they stick the landing" I know that nothing will ever redeem any of it.

Hail satan.

yet remarkably, somehow rise is the best of the three

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

poor chewies

Would be cool if he had a cloaca 👌

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
What the gently caress is this bullshit about ghost colors?

It's not like Luke is Chinese.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its people grasping at straws for why things got cut but if true Im fuckin dying because Star Wars the Last Jedi pulled in like 20 million total in China so making any changes for that market was a waste of time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Disney will not be satisfied until all the money in the world belongs to it, and they find China's lack of fanaticism for Star Wars disturbing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney should make good movies, that might help

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"Oh you see, JJ (despite his entire body of work indicating the opposite) is not in fact a hack writer."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe communist china just isnt interested in stories about rebelling against an oppressive totalitarian regime

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Why make good movies when you can buy out all the other studios until the public has nowhere else to turn to?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

maybe communist china just isnt interested in stories about rebelling against an oppressive totalitarian regime

Listen here bud, if only 1% of China's 2.7 Quadrillion movie-goers buys a ticket to Rise of Skywalker. . . I think you get my point.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I believe all of this is true because TFA especially and TLJ too are confirmed to be hacked up and edited to hell by Disney executives. Along with the mandated yearly Star Wars movie releases, the insane micromanaging by Disney is one of the many crippling problems with the ST. Most of J.J. Abrams concepts for RoS sound just as stupid as the released theatrical cut we got though. Really, the problem with the movie is Disney didn't give Abrams and Chris Terrio like 1-2 years longer to hash out a coherent script that doesn't totally suck balls after Colin Trevorrow was booted off the project. Of course RoS blows after they have hired Abrams back and gave him 5 minutes to make a huge complicated ending to their trilogy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The whole "china" narrative doesn't make sense to me because MCU was bantery as gently caress in a way that I wouldn't think would be translatable but it sold like hot cakes.

The lack of nostalgia in China for a nostalgia based franchise is something I get. But like iron man wasn't a big part of my childhood but I knew who he was, presumably in a way that Xuan from Wuhan didn't. But we both saw the iron man movie.

It's easy to blame China but I feel there are more sinister forces at work here. Things some people .ight consider unnatural.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shbobdb posted:

The whole "china" narrative doesn't make sense to me because MCU was bantery as gently caress in a way that I wouldn't think would be translatable but it sold like hot cakes.

The lack of nostalgia in China for a nostalgia based franchise is something I get. But like iron man wasn't a big part of my childhood but I knew who he was, presumably in a way that Xuan from Wuhan didn't. But we both saw the iron man movie.

It's easy to blame China but I feel there are more sinister forces at work here. Things some people .ight consider unnatural.

Chinese audiences (like most) like big spectacles with attractive people doing outlandish things. The MCU translates well into the kinds of stories they know because they're all just "hero's journey" in one form or another, and once you get them hooked, they're going to keep coming until you finish. The Transformers movies did well because they grew up watching Transformers. The MCU stuff was not unknown in China 20-30 years ago. My wife (from China) grew up watching the X-men cartoon, Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra, Smurfs, Thunder Cats, etc, so the superhero movie/show is well known and accessible.

Star Wars for some reason never caught on. The movies were too alien (literally, they don't like weird aliens that much) and they never had that much exposure since they came out 10 years too early to be shown on Chinese television. Terminator on the other hand was widely shown on CCTV, as were lot of Stallone/Arnold action movies.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder if they’ll like Mando since it has Dillon

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I believe all of this is true because TFA especially and TLJ too are confirmed to be hacked up and edited to hell by Disney executives. Along with the mandated yearly Star Wars movie releases, the insane micromanaging by Disney is one of the many crippling problems with the ST. Most of J.J. Abrams concepts for RoS sound just as stupid as the released theatrical cut we got though. Really, the problem with the movie is Disney didn't give Abrams and Chris Terrio like 1-2 years longer to hash out a coherent script that doesn't totally suck balls after Colin Trevorrow was booted off the project. Of course RoS blows after they have hired Abrams back and gave him 5 minutes to make a huge complicated ending to their trilogy.

The movie is exactly like a regular JJ movie so chances are most of it was JJ. That reddit text reads like some diehard JJ fan trying to save JJ's face

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"No nostalgia" = "no money" is a formula I get. Like, Lucas invented the Campbell on screen thing so what I'm asking is why is the go to narrative "disney cant make a good movie because china"?

Like we can argue about whether the marvel movies are good-- like most goons I got tired and checked out after civil war (feel free to insert the marvel film where you stopped caring here. Based on box office it seems to be the last big one, infinity war endgame or whatever). But they sold big in a way SW hasn't.

Why can MCU be "good" despite china (while making money hand over fist there) but SW cant be good because China (and SW was never going to make money there)?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

lol, watch out. you'll get pulled into a consulting job for them then your life will be over

all getting paid 7 figures to go to meetings and be like "if a movie is good... then people will like it. and we can save money on the internet campaigns spinning disliking it as actually a political statement"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something to keep in mind is the new Star Wars films are loving confusing as hell if youve not seen the previous ones. Theyre full of things that only make sense or are only cool if you are familiar with the old ones and for what turned out to be fairly middling films at best, why make that investment?

Vim Fuego posted:

lol, watch out. you'll get pulled into a consulting job for them then your life will be over

all getting paid 7 figures to go to meetings and be like "if a movie is good... then people will like it. and we can save money on the internet campaigns spinning disliking it as actually a political statement"

Dont worry Im already on this hellride because, starting this year Disney is one of my clients at work.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

You know how in cartoons they just make the mouth open and close and so you can make them say anything? With computers nowadays they can do that with live action people's mouths.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SHISHKABOB posted:

You know how in cartoons they just make the mouth open and close and so you can make them say anything? With computers nowadays they can do that with live action people's mouths.

Having lived in other cultures and other languages, humor is the last thing that translates. So unless you've got a crack team making localized jokes...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fartbox posted:

The movie is exactly like a regular JJ movie so chances are most of it was JJ. That reddit text reads like some diehard JJ fan trying to save JJ's face

It's pretty amazing how JJ has managed to taint the Canon of the two largest sci-fi franchises of all time.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Fartbox posted:

It's pretty funny how anonymous, behind the scenes drama leaks are like a new genre of fan fiction.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TK-42-1 posted:

I wonder if they’ll like Mando since it has Dillon

That son of a bitch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Shbobdb posted:

Having lived in other cultures and other languages, humor is the last thing that translates. So unless you've got a crack team making localized jokes...

I saw the first Avengers movie in Taiwan. There's a line about flying monkeys at some point and Captain America comments that he actually got that reference. It got a chuckle out of me but the rest of the theatre was totally silent. I asked my wife how they translated that into Mandarin and she said they didn't bother.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

(11) Rey really should've gotten a hand cut off at some point.

since they went dumb as poo poo anyway, Rey should have been a clone made from Luke's severed hand, or a robot who gets luke's hand attached

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rey should have lost her hand and attached lukes hand to her body so she can be a true Skywalker

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
It could be worse. Whedon could have directed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Rey should have lost her hand and attached lukes hand to her body so she can be a true Skywalker

is lukes robot hand still sitting there on that rock? i know his cloak is established to still be there but i don't remember seeing his robot hand

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

SHISHKABOB posted:

Or just have the character talk when they’re facing away in a dialogue. I saw some lovely show recently where you never see anyone’s mouth move because they’re always the opposing person in a conversation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Atlas Hugged posted:

I saw the first Avengers movie in Taiwan. There's a line about flying monkeys at some point and Captain America comments that he actually got that reference. It got a chuckle out of me but the rest of the theatre was totally silent. I asked my wife how they translated that into Mandarin and she said they didn't bother.

I want to see the bahasa dub where the audience thinks it is about hanuman.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Rey should have found Luke's mummified other hand and worn in around her neck until the fateful moment when Luke's ghost possesses it and throttles / force pushes 'Pal

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Blistex posted:

It's pretty amazing how JJ has managed to taint the Canon of the two largest sci-fi franchises of all time.

So do directors pretty much tell the writers what to write? I thought it was a separate team that writes the plot, and the director makes the movie happen.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Incursus posted:

So do directors pretty much tell the writers what to write? I thought it was a separate team that writes the plot, and the director makes the movie happen.

JJ was co-writer on Star Wars and Star Trek, but even if the director isn’t writing a single word their interpretation of the script is what we wind up seeing. A well written script can wind up being a poo poo movie and vice versa.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Incursus posted:

"Legendary" film maker JJ Abrams is what they call writer-director. On his films he has an involvement in the writing that most directors don't.

Blistex posted:

Star Wars, yeah he hosed it up. But I don't really blame him for Star Trek because it was already well down the path of making of itself ridiculous before he got there. Plus, his films even started with the "it's a time traveled parallel universe!!!" thing for plausible deniability, so the franchise could easily detach from them at any time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Next stop, Babylon 5!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars, yeah he hosed it up. But I don't really blame him for Star Trek because it was already well down the path of making of itself ridiculous before he got there.

Didn't the director they brought on for Star Trek 12 have to have it explained to him that Geordi wasn't some kind of alien?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Incursus posted:

This is a really complicated issue so here's too many sausage metaphors.

Producer (or more indirectly, a Studio) - "Here's $20, go get me some sausage. It better be a kielbasa, none of that Pepperidge Farm poo poo, I want Polish deli."

Writer - "Sam wants Kielbasa, so picture this. A German spread, we've got Kielbasa and spaetzle, some kraut, end it with some schnapps."

Director - "I only use the best cuts of pork, which are trotters and offal."

Director of Photography - "My seasoning blend has won me fifteen blue ribbons. People can spot my sausage in a taste test."

Editor - "Oh my god what what are these lovely cuts of meat? Going to be working late tonight. Can we ask the director for a little beef fat to fix the flavor?"

Marketing - "Hot dogs are so hot this season. What if we package these as German Hot Dogs?"

...Directors often go back and forth with the writers, just like you'd negotiate the shopping list depending on what you want to eat. The final meal might be exactly the recipe the writer wrote down, it could be entirely what the director wanted, or the DP and the editor could have turned it into an avant-garde statement on consumerism.

happyhippy posted:

Next stop, Babylon 5!

You shut your whore mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Blistex posted:

Star Wars for some reason never caught on. The movies were too alien (literally, they don't like weird aliens that much)

Oh I fuckin wonder why