Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CherryCola posted:

What is even the point of this tweet? Why am I asking a question that has no rational answer?

No more negotiation with Iran. Only war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CherryCola posted:

What is even the point of this tweet? Why am I asking a question that has no rational answer?

Because, in very technical neurological terms, Donald Trump's brain is composed of rotting Froot LoopsŪ.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because, in very technical neurological terms, Donald Trump's brain is composed of rotting Froot LoopsŪ.

Rotting fruit loops are probably more biologically active.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Clearly any single person in this thread has put more thought into the consequences of his actions than Trump will ever do.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

the panacea posted:

It seems to be a common misconception to think "they can't win, so what are they going to do?".
Winning doesn't matter if you are going in to a fight with the mindset that it's a holy and rightous war against an outside opressor.
Fighting for your believes is what matters.

Iran isn't as reckless as their rhetoric suggests though. Their leaders have behaved rationally for decades, and while they may end up feeling so cornered that they decide to take a shot before they lose the opportunity, I don't think we're quite there yet.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
How is Iraqi media responding to this? Sunni and Shia both condemning, or is this the dividing line between opinions?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Does Shia Islam also have a 40-day mourning period, like Sunni Islam does? If so, that's one timeframe to look at in terms of serious responses.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grouchio posted:

Trump did all of this in an attempt to distract PR away from impeachment. Do you folks think this will subtract from (distracting proxy war) or add to impeachment proceedings? (wanton aggression)

I don't think I'll live to see the day that the American public doesn't masturbate itself into a coma over wanton aggression by the US government.

If anything, a shadowy proxy war might not be wantonly aggressive enough to distract from impeachment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iraq's government is not happy in the slightest.

https://twitter.com/abujamajem/status/1213010727629254663?s=21

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sinteres posted:

Iran isn't as reckless as their rhetoric suggests though. Their leaders have behaved rationally for decades, and while they may end up feeling so cornered that they decide to take a shot before they lose the opportunity, I don't think we're quite there yet.

relatedly, ahmadinejad getting bodily hurled out of Iranian politics (and into his new profession as twitter troll) was and is a positive sign for iran's leadership not being entirely in crazytown

ahmadinejad was all about courting the iranian far right nutters but that wasn't enough to save him when his nonsense became inconvenient to the big boys

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
One day the people believing in America's invulnerability will be proven wrong and it's going to start off somewhat like this

vv People actually believe the missile defense platforms are bulletproof

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 3, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

please knock Mom! posted:

One day the people believing in America's invulnerability will be proven wrong and it's going to start off somewhat like this

Wasn't 9/11 already a clear indication of this?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1212528830218407936

for some reason this account has become restricted and its tweets hidden.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to be fun when Iraq tells us to leave and we tell them to gently caress off

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/touchmybobby/status/1213005974069342209?s=19

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mortons stork posted:

Did any proof ever surface of it being Russia or are we just taking this face value?

I do remember an article in our media talking about how the Polish president had this weird thing going where he would get up during a flight, walk into the cockpit and start screaming at his pilots, which probably was the reason the plane crashed. Apparently it was a miracle he hadn't died horribly in a plane accident until then.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My guts all in a knot this morning analyzing and fearing getting ourselves stuck occupying Iran for a decade or two. A true vietnam redux.

How to unwind?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nenonen posted:

Do they need to do something specific? Other than take better care of their paramilitary leaders, that is. The most effective strategy against Americans would be to continue what they were already doing.

The smartest play for the Iranians would be to do nothing for a little while (as in a few days to a week) to ensure that they're seen as the less-volatile and restrained party and then quietly start turning the pressure up on the wide array of american and american-aligned interests that conveniently are right by their proxy forces.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Going to be fun when Iraq tells us to leave and we tell them to gently caress off

This is the part I really don't get. They already had almost entirely done that, now they will most likely fully and explicitly do it. Moreover, they can limit the american diplomatic presence and/or just fully withdraw security for the us embassy, at which point maintaining bases and a massive embassy compound in an effectively not-friendly if not actively hostile country is entirely impossible. Losing all that would be a huge and extremely public black eye for trump.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know this might seem a bit out-there, but bear with me here: what if Trump is not a rational actor?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Grouchio posted:

My guts all in a knot this morning analyzing and fearing getting ourselves stuck occupying Iran for a decade or two. A true vietnam redux.

How to unwind?

stop reading stupid fearmongering and do something useful

fafish
May 10, 2012
Excellent work by the army and their intelligence (be it CIA or in-house), and excellent work by the generals that pitched the president into this. Bad guys got a kick in the groin that is deeply registered. A lot of positive and encouraging feedback from Iranian and Iraqi citizens.

If the Iranian regime directly or through its proxies target American civilians they will be exposed as the terrorists they are. If they target army personnel that still doesn't cut it and another high ranked of theirs will be targeted. Only a symmetric hit against a US high ranking officer can really show strength. Good luck with that.

To the bunch of people that are worried about an escalation. Worry not, you deal with some thirld world bullying flintstones, they really understand power. The goal is to sit them on a negotiation table and that will happen ultimately.

Lot of respect to all Iranians that have suffered all these years under the bullies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fafish posted:

Excellent work by the army and their intelligence (be it CIA or in-house), and excellent work by the generals that pitched the president into this. Bad guys got a kick in the groin that is deeply registered. A lot of positive and encouraging feedback from Iranian and Iraqi citizens.

If the Iranian regime directly or through its proxies target American civilians they will be exposed as the terrorists they are. If they target army personnel that still doesn't cut it and another high ranked of theirs will be targeted. Only a symmetric hit against a US high ranking officer can really show strength. Good luck with that.

To the bunch of people that are worried about an escalation. Worry not, you deal with some thirld world bullying flintstones, they really understand power. The goal is to sit them on a negotiation table and that will happen ultimately.

Lot of respect to all Iranians that have suffered all these years under the bullies.

source your stupid quotes plz

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

fafish posted:

remember the last time we trotted out this line, back in 2003

we were all so young then

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Does the NYT operate that account? Regardless, don't look into the changes too much. For live stories like this, it's not unusual for the more recent information to be edited into the top of an article, particularly as new information comes out. You'd see similar edits for a natural disaster as the effects become more clear. The info in red is likely just pushed down a few paragraphs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fafish posted:

Woah, dial your trolling back down to eleven buddy, you're kind of coming on too strong

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fafish posted:

Imagine making only 9 posts over 8 years and this is one of them.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nenonen posted:

Rafic Hariri? Not that Soleimani compares to a former PM, he would be more like if the chief of Mossad went to Lebanon and Syrians snuffed him.
Sidenote: It's very likely that Soleimani was responsible for the bombing that killed Hariri.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sidenote: It's very likely that Soleimani was responsible for the bombing that killed Hariri.

That's a stretch and a half.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Can anyone list previous examples of a state assassinating a high ranking member of another state outside of wartime? I can't think of any.

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria by Serbian Military Intelligence in 1914. I believe this also caused some commotion.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

How to unwind?

An actual shooting war with Iran more likely means another invasion and occupation of Iraq. If you want to keep going with the Vietnam analogy Iran would then be the North to Iraq's South.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
An invasion of Iran could mean fighting proxies with Hezbollah in Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon. It would probably also require defending the KSA and UAE from attacks on oil refineries and desalination plants, as well as attacks on shipping in the Gulf.

An Iran war would be a multi-country war. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was reinstated to shore up US forces spread thin across the ME.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rukeli posted:

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria by Serbian Military Intelligence in 1914. I believe this also caused some commotion.

imagine if franz ferdinand had been assassinated by a uniformed french military detatchment during on a diplomatic mission to serbia. the french soldiers then proceeded to shell the serbian ambulance when it shows up. that's the level of international incident we're on now.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1213141648475119621

*Punches someone at random in the grocery store* "For real though, I just want everyone to calm down."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jasus Christ posted:

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1213141648475119621

*Punches someone at random in the grocery store* "For real though, I just want everyone to calm down."

Everyone know that to break a few eggs you gotta break a few eggs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Russia did a number to the Polish government in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolensk_air_disaster

lol, that plane crashed because idiot Duckman yelled at the pilot to land under impossible conditions

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GoluboiOgon posted:

imagine if franz ferdinand had been assassinated by a uniformed french military detatchment during on a diplomatic mission to serbia. the french soldiers then proceeded to shell the serbian ambulance when it shows up. that's the level of international incident we're on now.

Franz Ferdinand assassination really isn't the most applicable I think and its quite overblown as the single explanation for WW1, especially out of context. What it was is that it gave the hardliners in Austria-Hungary who'd been hurting for a war with Serbia for years the excuse they needed and the Germans, rather than try to stop them or even find out what they were planning to do, just told them "sure, whatever, Germany supports you."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Franz Ferdinand assassination really isn't the most applicable I think and its quite overblown as the single explanation for WW1, especially out of context. What it was is that it gave the hardliners in Austria-Hungary who'd been hurting for a war with Serbia for years the excuse they needed and the Germans, rather than try to stop them or even find out what they were planning to do, just told them "sure, whatever, Germany supports you."

I think you're conflating trigger with cause.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

lol, that plane crashed because idiot Duckman yelled at the pilot to land under impossible conditions

We'll never know that since Russia, to this day, refuses to give up the Black Boxes, making it incredibly likely they do have something to hide over it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Randarkman posted:

Funny enough pre ww1 intellectuals believed that the world was too globalized to have a shooting war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fafish posted:

Imagine believing all this is true.