Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a saying about cowards who hide behind a flag.

There's a quote by Asimov that fits the current situation pretty well.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How blatant was the assassination of Diem in South Vietnam at the time, was it as obvious then as it is now that it was us

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm seriously so depressed about this right now. Of the 7 guys in my HS graduating class who deployed, 3 died in combat, one committed suicide and two others appear to have serious drug addiction

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is it possible to die of irony poisoning?

Donnerberg posted:

There's a quote by Asimov that fits the current situation pretty well.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

"The competent use violence much earlier than that." :v:

(I appreciate the sentiment, but that saying always bugs me for that reason.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

How blatant was the assassination of Diem in South Vietnam at the time, was it as obvious then as it is now that it was us
I’m not sure if it came off as obvious at the time

This was pre-Watergate and Pentagon Papers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Diem was assassinated by South Vietnamese generals we told them we wouldn't get in their way.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess I should add to this that we're still a violent culture that enjoys the suffering of foreigners. We've just lost the desire to embark on large campaigns that kill Our Troops for no obvious reason.

We've never loved big foreign wars, excluding the Spanish-American War era, but we've always enjoyed bullying "minor" nations. If anything we might still be slightly more constrained than the days of gunboat diplomacy and war with Mexico.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess I should add to this that we're still a violent culture that enjoys the suffering of foreigners. We've just lost the desire to embark on large campaigns that kill Our Troops for no obvious reason.

The shift to an all volunteer army also means there are no really effective means of mass political action stopping the war. It used to be that the military needed the populous to conduct the war and now they don’t.

We’ve been at war for but a few months this century and to many it seems impossible to stop.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

The shift to an all volunteer army also means there are no really effective means of mass political action stopping the war. It used to be that the military needed the populous to conduct the war and now they don’t.

We’ve been at war for but a few months this century and to many it seems impossible to stop.

The brilliance of using our National Guard for foreign warfighting was to eliminate the need for the draft.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

How long before Trump finds out wars aren’t fun and tries to (ineffectively) weasel out of the situation he made.

Arguably, this mess is the inevitable eventual consequence of Trump's posturing, saber rattling, and walking back of Obama's detente policies. The actual details of which specific action lit the tinderbox is pretty moot. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else eventually. It's the building of the situation in the first place that was the real irresponsible act on his part.

But good luck using that as an actual political wedge against him...

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

If anything positive comes of this it would be pushing candidates especially on the left to end the neverending wars. I think most people have war fatigue at this point, especially in the Middle East.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Did anyone at the top levels of our government stop to think that this could induce some IS affiliated group of nutbars to attack some American ally or us ourselves just to stir the pot? Because if I was one of those knucklehead caliphate monsters, that would definitely be crossing my mind as an option right now. I mean how easy would it be for US to blame that on Iran and make things even worse..

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Shocking radio silence from anti-imperialist Glenn Greenwald. I’m looking forward to a scorching hot take
getting mad as hell at glenn greenwald for how i imagine he'll react to this

Edit https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1213172041215549452

Wait a minute, he called it "one of the most reckless uses of military force in years"? Just to make you look like a dumbass?? Dang there are truly no depths to his depravity.

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 3, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Did anyone at the top levels of our government stop to think that this could induce some IS affiliated group of nutbars to attack some American ally or us ourselves just to stir the pot? Because if I was one of those knucklehead caliphate monsters, that would definitely be crossing my mind as an option right now. I mean how easy would it be for US to blame that on Iran and make things even worse..

They've replaced everyone who thinks because they kept asking why Trump was doing things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Did anyone at the top levels of our government stop to think that this could induce some IS affiliated group of nutbars to attack some American ally or us ourselves just to stir the pot?

They did not.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
GG speaks!

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1213172041215549452

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

It was 100% approved by US intelligence but it wasn't our dudes doing the abducting and murdering

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so NOW he doesnt like trump. good to know.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I don't think IS was ever short on reasons for attacking anybody.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
https://twitter.com/DanielDenvir/status/1212358722695188480

Check the date

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

KillHour posted:

Normally, when we want someone dead, we do the same game everyone does - quietly assassinate them and deny knowledge. But Trump literally can't do that. His ego refuses to let him not take credit for anything.

This. It’s what makes the purpose behind this way more obvious. If protecting Americans and stopping plans was the goal, then they’d kill him and not give away anything. Instead it’s blatant distraction propaganda, antagonism, and baby-dick gloating.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think Greenwald's fooling himself if he thinks Trump actually ran an anti-militarism or anti-imperialist platform. It's swell that Trump criticized W's Iraq war, but that's a long way from not starting foolish wars himself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump didn't win because he acted like he was antiwar (which he never really did he said he'd take Iraq's oil and murder terrorists' families) he won because he had R next to him name and you're always going to get about 46-48 percent of the vote as a Republican. It's obnoxious that pundits still act like Trump did anything special he got a lower share of the vote than Romney. Clinton lost the election Trump didn't win it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think Greenwald's fooling himself if he thinks Trump actually ran an anti-militarism or anti-imperialist platform. It's swell that Trump criticized W's Iraq war, but that's a long way from not starting foolish wars himself.

I'll never understand it, "If I was president we'd have taken the oil!" and "I love nukes!" were like major tenants of his campaign rallies and things he'd bring up regularly during the debats, the nukes thing IIRC would was even in some ads for him.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Aramis posted:

Arguably, this mess is the inevitable eventual consequence of Trump's posturing, saber rattling, and walking back of Obama's detente policies. The actual details of which specific action lit the tinderbox is pretty moot. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else eventually. It's the building of the situation in the first place that was the real irresponsible act on his part.

But good luck using that as an actual political wedge against him...

I think he will get himself into a bad situation with this in which he will lose any form of public support. One of the few bright spots of his presidency was that he was fairly chickenshit about starting escalation with foes. He wanted to be seen as a tough guy but never had the stomach to do it.

I’d love to hear how he was talked into doing it. Obviously he isn’t reading briefs nor has a real knowledge on the region or the ramifications. Someone pushed for this and sold Trump on it.

Also watch next week when it becomes obvious that the public is against it and he made a mistake he will try walking it back.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

When's Eddie Gallagher or Erik Prince gonna be made secretary of war and really get this Iran poo poo going? Donald the Dove, baby!

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so NOW he doesnt like trump. good to know.

According to that thread it is Hillary Clinton's fault Trump wants war in Iran.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Djarum posted:

I think he will get himself into a bad situation with this in which he will lose any form of public support. One of the few bright spots of his presidency was that he was fairly chickenshit about starting escalation with foes. He wanted to be seen as a tough guy but never had the stomach to do it.

I’d love to hear how he was talked into doing it. Obviously he isn’t reading briefs nor has a real knowledge on the region or the ramifications. Someone pushed for this and sold Trump on it.

Also watch next week when it becomes obvious that the public is against it and he made a mistake he will try walking it back.

He won't walk it back. He'll blame it on some aide, general or adviser and double down in the stupidest way somehow. But I agree on the "he got talked into it" part.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump didn't win because he acted like he was antiwar (which he never really did he said he'd take Iraq's oil and murder terrorists' families) he won because he had R next to him name and you're always going to get about 46-48 percent of the vote as a Republican. It's obnoxious that pundits still act like Trump did anything special he got a lower share of the vote than Romney. Clinton lost the election Trump didn't win it.

Most of the Republicans I've seen who are still pretending to be Serious Arguers have used "Hillary would have started a war with Iran", though.

It's a cornerstone of what Very Serious Republicans believe. They'll abandon it, obviously, but it's BEEN important to them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Most of the Republicans I've seen who are still pretending to be Serious Arguers have used "Hillary would have started a war with Iran", though.

It's a cornerstone of what Very Serious Republicans believe. They'll abandon it, obviously, but it's BEEN important to them.

Right but that's a very small number of Republican voters.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Djarum posted:

As leaky as the Trump White House is, we'll probably find out all the details in the next few days.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1213165862749908992

https://twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1213140151062253568

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1087901201184755713

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, he criticized W and Iraq because Trump's entire playbook is to attack everyone and everything all the time to make himself look superior. Anything anyone else does is bad and wrong and stupid, unlike the things Trump does, which are good and the best.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

Nothing is important to them. They just say things that will won them arguments. In this case, pointing out Hillary’s hawkishness was a good way to make her look bad.

They don’t actually believe any of their arguments.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

When's Eddie Gallagher or Erik Prince gonna be made secretary of war and really get this Iran poo poo going? Donald the Dove, baby!

Gallagher is too busy selling his Benghazi themed athleisure line.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Aramis posted:

He won't walk it back. He'll blame it on some aide, general or adviser and double down in the stupidest way somehow. But I agree on the "he got talked into it" part.

Eh when something hasn’t been popular especially with all of the base he tacts off. The last thing he wants to do is get stuck with something that will drag him down. I agree he won’t take any responsibility for it but he’ll run from it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Neo Rasa posted:

I'll never understand it, "If I was president we'd have taken the oil!" and "I love nukes!" were like major tenants of his campaign rallies and things he'd bring up regularly during the debats, the nukes thing IIRC would was even in some ads for him.

One of his other campaign promises was to Bring Are Troops Home. He is large, he contains multitudes of cheeseburgers.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
2020 loving sucks

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

T. Bombastus posted:

getting mad as hell at glenn greenwald for how i imagine he'll react to this

Edit https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1213172041215549452

Wait a minute, he called it "one of the most reckless uses of military force in years"? Just to make you look like a dumbass?? Dang there are truly no depths to his depravity.

IDK — both sides are equally bad is a pretty scorching hot take after Trump unilaterally withdrew from the Obama-Iran deal and then personally decided to blow up Iran’s top military leader after he couldn’t get it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Diem was assassinated by South Vietnamese generals we told them we wouldn't get in their way.

Yeah I know, but I count that as us doing it. If they needed our support and we said "yeah go ahead" that's the same as Kennedy pulling the trigger personally.

And we were more active than that even, p sure we had already decided he needed to go and set about encouraging it rather than just being passive observers.