Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

How much would a comparable PC cost? That’s the question consumers will ask themselves.

You can always spend more on a pc and just pirate games until the costs equal out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Microsoft will sell at a very significant loss on the hardware. They make all of their money back on their online services and game sales.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Citation needed on make money

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

targetting specs at actual 4k is a mistake

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Targeting specs at actual 4K is great because that means that even the stupidest laziest devs should be able to deliver 108060.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Targeting specs at actual 4K is great because that means that even the stupidest laziest devs should be able to deliver 108060.

The stupidest and laziest devs will gently caress it up and give you 2 modes like 4k30 and 1080p uncapped where the fps is lurching like crazy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:negative:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"Market research shows that 90% of our customers have a 1080p TV and a further 9% can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. Add more shaders, target 1080p30"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can't wait for all the E3 talk about devs targeting 60fps with accompanying hype, followed by the inevitable unstable 40fps and every backflipping to "actually framerate only matters in multiplayer."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Can't wait for all the E3 talk about devs targeting 60fps with accompanying hype, followed by the inevitable unstable 40fps and every backflipping to "actually framerate only matters in multiplayer."
We're bringing you 60fps in 4k interlaced!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Does this apply to the weaker PS5 as well?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BrownieVK posted:

Does this apply to the weaker PS5 as well?

It's not brand specific.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The ps5 will inexplicably outperform the xbox and when everyone laughs about it MS will put out a new pro model called the Xbox Onyx and insist it's pronounced "one ex"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Elder Scrolls VI will 100% run at Max 30FPS

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

We have a console for people who can't afford the One X Series X. It's called the Paupstation 4 Pro 5.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

edit: this was more a MS PC game question, I'll throw it in general chat.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

How much would a comparable PC cost? That’s the question consumers will ask themselves.

If consumers actually asked that then consoles would be long dead. The PC market is completely irrelevant to the console market.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Elder Scrolls VI will 100% run at Max 30FPS

If you ran Skyrim at higher than 60FPS the physics on items became unstable and poo poo would fly around killing your character instantly. Also you'd fall through the world randomly.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

American McGay posted:

No, more than 25% and less than 75% of all games in the next generation will run at 30 FPS. You can quote me later.

The thing with 30FPS is that 1/30 of a second is a big timepiece, so if theres something misbehaving, is less noticeable.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Is there a way to sort games with gold titles from ones I've actually bought?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
not that I know of other than opening the store page for each game and seeing if it says "play this with gold or buy to own", but you do "sorta own" those games as long you keep subscribed to gold/ultimate even if you cancel when you resub you get them back., the 360 ones you do actually own them though.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Well poo poo. Thanks. I kinda thought that would be the case.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well a bit of resolution to "I can't believe new controllers aren't covered longer than 90 days." Both Xbox and Xboxsupport just straight ignored me on Twitter (companies are usually pretty responsive there) but I managed to check and it has a firmware update. I updated it right when I got it and there hasn't been an update for me until today (maybe yesterday). Updating the firmware finally fixed it. I wonder if my first firmware update just borked it and I had to wait until a recent release to basically reflash it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'd like to imagine your tweets were what made them silently work on this issue :unsmith:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh hey, they added GTA V to Game Pass.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's me. The last living human who hasn't purchased a copy of GTAV yet. (That's not a sarcastic post, I've never played it)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Neither have I. I'll check it out but I usually get overwhelmed by the amount of things to do in a Rockstar game and never finish them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's a great open world to just drive around in and do peaceful random poo poo in but the two main things that should be good about it (missions and causing violent chaos just dicking around) are both inexplicably awful. There's a few missions that are good but 90% of them are annoying tutorials for mechanics you'll use maybe twice after that, if at all.

The Housers are absolutely insane for ignoring how annoying and unfun it is to fight cops in 4 and 5.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I wish you could skip all the story poo poo and be dropped into a giant open world with a modest amount of items and just gently caress around. That's all I'd ever really want to do in it, but between the 80GB download and the 3+ hours of startup to actually get into the game I'll probably pass (:xd:)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Here's the really odd thing though, both games have a semi-hidden "enable fun" mode. In 4 the online-co-op feels more like old school GTA because there's weapons laying around on the ground and having two+ targets to chase actually makes the Cop AI feel more fair and bumbling to fight against.

in GTAV there's an online mode editor you can enable without actually being in GTAO where you can draw a big circle around any area on the map and start various flavors of deathmatch with AI people that feels like great fun, and it's reminiscent of the "all city riot mode" cheats from old games.

Both games are 100% capable of being actually enjoyable and fun with just a little tweaking. GTA4's expansion with the bikers actually enables a sort of "spawn random mission" thing where enemy bikers will just populate a random area and fighting and chasing them is really fun. It's a design choice to make them more "serious" that's choking them into what they are now.

I've always said I'd kill for a game that's R* technology and Saints Row mission/gameplay designers

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think they will ever be able to repeat what they were able to do in the III era of games. GTAIII was just amazing for the time.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

Yeah I wish you could skip all the story poo poo and be dropped into a giant open world with a modest amount of items and just gently caress around. That's all I'd ever really want to do in it, but between the 80GB download and the 3+ hours of startup to actually get into the game I'll probably pass (:xd:)

Play red dead online. Gtav, top to bottom gameplay wise, is Rockstar's shallowest entry.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I beat the game on 360. Wondering if my save is on the cloud and if it’ll work on this version. I’d boot up single player to muck around a bit but I have no desire to replay the whole game

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

I beat the game on 360. Wondering if my save is on the cloud and if it’ll work on this version. I’d boot up single player to muck around a bit but I have no desire to replay the whole game

It will not. You have to start over.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
If you have a 360 multiplayer character you can migrate that over, unless they discontinued that at some point

edit: I guess they did in fact turn that off back in 2017

ixnay fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 3, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ixnay posted:

If you have a 360 multiplayer character you can migrate that over, unless they discontinued that at some point

They discontinued the migration option a few years ago.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

univbee posted:

They discontinued the migration option a few years ago.

but enough about US immigration policy

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I don't know if the games have gotten too big or too serious or what, but I agree with others that GTA IV and V just don't feel as fun to me as the 3 series did. I completed all of them, even the PSP games.

My biggest disappointment in IV was walking up the stairwell of this comically high apartment building in the projects and not finding any weapons on the roof. I didn't want to walk back down so i just jumped.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I remember going through a sneaking tutorial like 20 hours into GTA IV, then the end of the game was like 5 missions later. I felt like GTA V fixed that issue a bit, but Rockstar's obsession of trying to jam every kind of gameplay ever into modern GTAs sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GTAV's fix was to move one of the heist-ish missions to the start of the game and everything else is the same lmfao

Wheany posted:

I don't know if the games have gotten too big or too serious or what

It's the "too serious" the Housers are obsessed with making these games into dour little film-like experiences and for some reason they consider all the different wild and fun things you can do with the engine to be gauche or something.

GTAO has a shitload of cool fun activities to do because if it didn't people wouldn't play and spend money there, but the singleplayer is their baby and god forbid anything like a mad max stadium destruction derby, stunt races or jet fighter vs. dirt bike fights happen there because that's not something Michael Mann would do.

Edit: On the flipside I actually love what that obsession did to Max Payne 3. It'd be nice if it wasn't riddled with the most ridiculous load times of the generation, but I love the pedal to the metal noir thing it has going on and especially love all of Max's absolutely bonkers v/o.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 4, 2020